Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 51 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
You have to wonder exactly what they consider a lifetime scholarship though. I can see tuition, maybe books...but room & board?

This should provide more insight. Looks like it's everything (tuition, books, etc) for ALL sports, not just "revenue" sports:

http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=29700&ATCLID=209611616

And people scoffed at the idea of MD leaving the ACC for the B1G. They just showed why they left. The recruiting advantages that they will now have over other schools in the area (mostly ACC) will be tough for some to overcome (looking at you, grandfathered Wake).

Reaction Score
This should provide more insight. Looks like it's everything (tuition, books, etc) for ALL sports, not just "revenue" sports:

http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=29700&ATCLID=209611616

And people scoffed at the idea of MD leaving the ACC for the B1G. They just showed why they left. The recruiting advantages that they will now have over other schools in the area (mostly ACC) will be tough for some to overcome (looking at you, grandfathered Wake).
Tuition, books, and student fees is a really good deal. I like the way it is tied to being in good academic standing when the student athlete left the school though. Wake isn't the only school that is on notice...You can say that PSU, Rutgers, Syracuse, Pitt, Temple UVA and VT are all the P-5 schools in the general area of UMD. I say that outside of the B1G schools and VA schools it puts the rest on notice.

Reaction Score
Billy in 1939 there was no FSB
The New York Times said the 1923 UConn team was one of the best in the country.
Big deal. College football supremacy was mythical. Writers frequently with local bias voted in the polls
Bowl games until fairly recently were nothing more than commercial exhibitions

Yale in their heyday,and the great Army teams thought they were ,and never participated. Personally I believe they are still pretty corrupt and a stupid way to determine the NC.

No true sportsman would or should endorse a system that sets a status quo.
That is foreign to everything sports stands for. Basically they want the ability to cheat on the basic principal of college sports and get away with it.
You can explain it any way you want but that what it is.
What the P5 is trying to do ,if successful ,will destroy the game.
It's a game I love.
I been a college football fan a long as I can remember. Well over sixty years.
I grew up in an area of Connecticut that was football oriented ,my area produced many great players,even some NFL caliber.But the importance of the game to us was it gave many the possibility to go to college and the opportunity to accomplish great things. That's the true importance of sport.
1924* UConn team.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Tuition, books, and student fees is a really good deal. I like the way it is tied to being in good academic standing when the student athlete left the school though. Wake isn't the only school that is on notice...You can say that PSU, Rutgers, Syracuse, Pitt, Temple UVA and VT are all the P-5 schools in the general area of UMD. I say that outside of the B1G schools and VA schools it puts the rest on notice.

I think it will be much easier for B1G schools like PSU and RU to adopt this type of philosophy. They have double the TV revenue than the ACC schools. The ACC schools won't be able to do it for all sports...maybe just revenue sports only. ACC needs its own network revenue stream like the B1G to keep up with what some of the B1G schools can afford to do.

Reaction Score
You have to wonder exactly what they consider a lifetime scholarship though. I can see tuition, maybe books...but room & board?

Tuition is the big one. That's going to cost.

This is untenable. Academic scholarships end after 4 years but non-revenue sports scholarships are lifetime?

Reaction Score
I think it will be much easier for B1G schools like PSU and RU to adopt this type of philosophy. They have double the TV revenue than the ACC schools. The ACC schools won't be able to do it for all sports...maybe just revenue sports only. ACC needs its own network revenue stream like the B1G to keep up with what some of the B1G schools can afford to do.
Yup...and you are already seeing what kind of $$ issues ACC schools like BC and Cuse are having.....with how BC did it's search for a new bb coach...and what Cuse paid Scott Shafer when he replaced Morrone (although Boeheim only makes $1.9 mill/yr)

Reaction Score
Tuition is the big one. That's going to cost.

This is untenable. Academic scholarships end after 4 years but non-revenue sports scholarships are lifetime?
I will be interesting to see how many athletes actually take MD up on this offer...and how many will qualify by leaving in good academic standing. Would a kid who decides to leave early for the pro game and basically leaves school during the second semester be in good academic standing?

Reaction Score
I will be interesting to see how many athletes actually take MD up on this offer...and how many will qualify by leaving in good academic standing. Would a kid who decides to leave early for the pro game and basically leaves school during the second semester be in good academic standing?

Good standing is 2.0, no?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
upstater said:
Tuition is the big one. That's going to cost. This is untenable. Academic scholarships end after 4 years but non-revenue sports scholarships are lifetime?
I did not receive an academic scholarship while at UConn so don't know exactly what's covered, what's obligated of the student, etc. Though if the school requires a student-athlete to travel and practice extensively where it makes it difficult to graduate on-time (vs the university average) then I can I agree with a "lifetime" scholarship. But how many athletes will actually return to complete their degree post eligibility? If they do return will the average be one additional year of school? Can't asses the real cost until we have those numbers, but my educated guess is that "lifetime" scholarships will only incrementally increase athletic dept costs while offering the appearance of goodwill toward the student-athlete.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Yup...and you are already seeing what kind of issues ACC schools like BC and Cuse are having.....with how BC did it's search for a new bb coach...and what Cuse paid Scott Shafer when he replaced Morrone (although Boeheim only makes $1.9 mill/yr)

Completely agree. It will be very difficult for schools like Cuse and BC to keep up without more revenue (read: they need an ACCN revenue stream similar to BTN stream). The devil in the details for those two is that the ACC will have to look to add schools that bring markets to the table. Can anyone think of a neighboring school with reach into the #1, #7, and #30 DMAs in the U.S.? Hmmm? Without more money, they will lose recruiting battles to PSU, RU, MD, etc. With more money, they will almost have to get back into bed with the school that they fear the most and, therefore, are trying to shut out of the ACC: UCONN.

Reaction Score
There's no across the board academic standard. There may be with individual academic scholarships. A 2.7 maybe, even a 3.0.

The NCAA established 2.0 as good standing for APR purposes.

I'm not sure...that's why I posed the question to you.

Reaction Score
I did not receive an academic scholarship while at UConn so don't know exactly what's covered, what's obligated of the student, etc. Though if the school requires a student-athlete to travel and practice extensively where it makes it difficult to graduate on-time (vs the university average) then I can I agree with a "lifetime" scholarship. But how many athletes will actually return to complete their degree post eligibility? If they do return will the average be one additional year of school? Can't asses the real cost until we have those numbers, but my educated guess is that "lifetime" scholarships will only incrementally increase athletic dept costs while offering the appearance of goodwill toward the student-athlete.

Note: I mentioned non-revenue sports, where the traveling and missed classes are not as bad.

Reaction Score
There's no across the board academic standard. There may be with individual academic scholarships. A 2.7 maybe, even a 3.0.

The NCAA established 2.0 as good standing for APR purposes.
Thanks

Reaction Score
Completely agree. It will be very difficult for schools like Cuse and BC to keep up without more revenue (read: they need an ACCN revenue stream similar to BTN stream). The devil in the details for those two is that the ACC will have to look to add schools that bring markets to the table. Can anyone think of a neighboring school with reach into the #1, #7, and #30 DMAs in the U.S.? Hmmm? Without more money, they will lose recruiting battles to PSU, RU, MD, etc. With more money, they will almost have to get back into bed with the school that they fear the most and, therefore, are trying to shut out of the ACC: UCONN.
Exactly

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There will be fine print. The incremental tuition cost of the students who qualify and take up the offer will be rather small, imo. The four year scholarship for athletes who wash out athletically may end up being significant. I don't see a lot of 40 yr old former soccer players crowding into dorm rooms.

pj

Reaction Score

As long as they recruit morons, they'll be fine.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
@DavidTeelatDP: AD Whit Babcock expects new benefits for athletes to cost #Hokies $1.5M-$3M annually. Hopes #ACC channel in 2016. http://post original url/G7Hc7p4DJv

Fans often ask me when they can expect the ACC to launch such a project, and Babcock said he expects a yes-or-no decision within 18 months.

Reaction Score
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 27m
Mizzou AD Mike Alden says MU will eventually phase out playing at non-Power 5 schools @Dave_Matter reports

Watch this turn into a bashing of McMurphy instead of addressing how to fill 40,000 seats and saying "I'm not going to a game until we are 10-2 vs the likes of Towson". The clock is ticking. If the Gov and Herbst don't have a plan, it is time to stop wasting money and bulldoze the rent.

Reaction Score
@DavidTeelatDP: AD Whit Babcock expects new benefits for athletes to cost #Hokies $1.5M-$3M annually. Hopes #ACC channel in 2016. http://post original url/G7Hc7p4DJv

Fans often ask me when they can expect the ACC to launch such a project, and Babcock said he expects a yes-or-no decision within 18 months.

The answer is...

NO.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Watch this turn into a bashing of McMurphy instead of addressing how to fill 40,000 seats and saying "I'm not going to a game until we are 10-2 vs the likes of Towson". The clock is ticking. If the Gov and Herbst don't have a plan, it is time to stop wasting money and bulldoze the rent.

Bashing of McMurphy or Mizzou, but not the 5K who couldn't bother to go to the BYU game or the 10K who likely aren't going to go to the Stony Brook game. Our CR chances fall primarily on us as a fanbase now. If we have fans who are going to wait for UCONN to go undefeated to start going to games, then we might as well give up football and park our Hoops programs back in the ol' mid-major Big East conference so we can revive our must-see annual rivalries with Seton Hall, Providence and DePaul (and gleefully accept $5M/yr from our Big East affiliation...which isn't even enough to pay JUST our 2 head coaches). In other words, goodbye football, goodbye Geno and goodbye Ollie. But yeah, it's easier to discredit McMurphy or a friggin' Athletic Director at a P5 school than it is to look in the mirror and ask ourselves "What Can I/We Do to #HuskyUp?"

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Are there really people here who think an extra 5,000 people in seats at the Rent would cause a mad rush of conference commissioners to call Susan up and ask UConn to the prom? Really? CR is a complex mish-mash of desires, needs, history, personalities, money, and dozens of other things. Yes, filling the stadium is one of a hundred or so things that could improve UConn's attractiveness to a P5 league. Most of those things are out of the control of the University.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom