Ken Davis: Boatright was packing NBA bags, but focus is all UConn now | The Boneyard

Ken Davis: Boatright was packing NBA bags, but focus is all UConn now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good read. Thx for posting this tcf.

I'm real glad he stayed for his senior season.
Can't wait for the season to start...

Reaction Score
Says a lot about him that he listened to and respects the opinions of those around him. We've seen so many college players ignore those people and make a bad decision for their future by chasing the NBA money too early.

Reaction Score
Says a lot about him that he listened to and respects the opinions of those around him. We've seen so many college players ignore those people and make a bad decision for their future by chasing the NBA money too early.

Dove, going back to college isn't the best decision for everyone, even if it makes fans like you, universities, and the NCAA happy. Some of these kids would be best off playing overseas while they can and finishing up their education once they can't play anymore.

I'm not convinced Boatright made the right decision. If he comes back and then plays overseas for 15 years, wouldn't he have been better off leaving this past year and playing overseas for 16 years? Conversely, if he comes back and catches on in the NBA, then it was a great decision. My point is, it's really hard to tell what the best decision is, but it's certainly not categorically returning to school.

caw

Reaction Score
Dove, going back to college isn't the best decision for everyone, even if it makes fans like you, universities, and the NCAA happy. Some of these kids would be best off playing overseas while they can and finishing up their education once they can't play anymore.

I'm not convinced Boatright made the right decision. If he comes back and then plays overseas for 15 years, wouldn't he have been better off leaving this past year and playing overseas for 16 years? Conversely, if he comes back and catches on in the NBA, then it was a great decision. My point is, it's really hard to tell what the best decision is, but it's certainly not categorically returning to school.

For overseas there are a lot of other things to consider besides just one extra year. If his initial contract would have been 100k this year for 2-3 years but next yet is 150 for 2-3, then he's better staying. Or maybe he only gets an offer in France for 100k this year but gets one in China for 100k next year. Too many possible variables.

Reaction Score
I think he made the right decision. He wasn't getting drafted so if his goal is truly to be an NBA player, he needed to come back and prove that he can be Kemba/Bazz and lead a team to great heights.

Reaction Score
I agree, he had to come back and and show that he could be the primary playmaker. His defense was so outstanding during the tournament that Im sure he got the attention of a lot of scouts that wrote him off as an athletic but too short guard. Now he has the chance to seal the deal and hopefully make the NBA. Whatever happens he will always be a national champion and he always represented our school well.

Reaction Score

I agree ,unless he grows three or four inches in the off season ,he will have a difficult time.
If he was 6'2 " he would have been a first rounder this year.

pj

Reaction Score
I think if he wants to be the best basketball player he can be, he made the right decision. To get another year of coaching from Kevin Ollie; to lead an elite team; these are opportunities that might never come his way again.

But, money-wise, it's less clear. Mudiay certainly gets more from his $1.2 mn contract in China than he would have gotten at SMU.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Being a PG and a team leader requires making the right decision at the right time.

He's already made a great one by coming back. Considering Napier was a late first rounder and Daniels was a second rounder, Boat most likely was going undrafted.

It's also nice to see him challenging the freshmen too.

Reaction Score
AZHuskiePop said:
I agree ,unless he grows three or four inches in the off season ,he will have a difficult time. If he was 6'2 " he would have been a first rounder this year.

There's also the peace of mind in giving it your best shot. Yeah, you can go overseas, play well, and maybe win a spot in the NBA down the road, but that's longer odds than making a team out of the draft. If you come to realize your best shot means a fourth year of college and running a team and entering a weaker draft, and you still don't make it, you'll be less likely to feel that you made a mistake.

If you just want to start making money, and are willing to accept a good overseas contract, then maybe you declare early and take your best shot now, knowing that in a worst case you can still get your family into a nicer home, etc.

Throw in that we won a national title and there are no more significant team goals to accomplish and there's another layer to the decision for Boat (and DD). Not everyone gets the chance to go out on top. There is more incentive for someone, say, like the Harrison twins to come back - coming so close to a title and with uncertain draft status might influence you to give it another shot.

It's tough to analyze someone's frame of mind from the outside. We can analyze, but we're detached.

Reaction Score
the previous era was full of recruits at lower options on the stars totem pole who had to stay in clg due to various short ages but had enough horse power to win the team game

let us get adventurous & try to smear opponents with team game & big game

olliewood is very different from previous regime so be ready for greater returns to investment in fandom and get your tickets early because all venues, especially home will sro

pundits said mr olliewood won with other coaches recruits ++ don't make me laugh

clg hoopdom will cry when all current coach recruits are inplace

Reaction Score
Agreed, although he has at least a good a chance of playing in the league as Roscoe or AO. Although AO was a solid contributor in the Kings Summer league championship game with 8 minutes, 0 pts, 1 reb and 4 PFs.

He may have been packing his bags, but he wasn't headed to the NBA!

C

Chief00

I took some heat when I said he had basically decided to leave - but in fact that's what happen before Ollie and others talked him.
out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Chief00 said:
I took soone heat when I said he had basically decided to leave - but in fact that's what happen before Ollie and others talked him out of it.

Jesus you're a clown

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Chief00 said:
I took some heat when I said he had basically decided to leave - but in fact that's what happen before Ollie and others talked him.
out of it.

Stop

Reaction Score
Mucho respect to Boat!

A 'Leader' follows no one (i.e. DD). That's all I can say.

Reaction Score
I think if he wants to be the best basketball player he can be, he made the right decision. To get another year of coaching from Kevin Ollie; to lead an elite team; these are opportunities that might never come his way again.

But, money-wise, it's less clear. Mudiay certainly gets more from his $1.2 mn contract in China than he would have gotten at SMU.
But less than Kentucky...

Reaction Score
Chin Diesel said:
I was all set to have a threesome with Jessica Alba and Kate Upton until someone talked them out of it.

Me too, but then I told Kate she needed to get lost. Jessica needed my full attention.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
out of it.

Reaction Score

Got it but I didn't actually say any of those things. My point is that he listened to those around him and didn't just ignore everyone to chase the quick money. Never said anything about that being the right choice or not. That being said, I would think those telling him to come back are better qualified to make that call than him or any of us.

Reaction Score
out of it.

Boat made it public that he planned on entering the draft after his freshman year but since he listened to his coaches he came back...and the same thing happened after his sophomore year...it doesn't take a genius to have guessed he wanted to enter the draft after his junior year as well, especially given how well he played in the tournament, but once again he listened to those who were looking out for him and he wisely let his pride take the backseat by choosing to come back for his senior year.

What is it with your fascination to come off as some kind of insider to the UCONN team when everyone here knows your not?...Its just getting really weird...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Boat made it public that he planned on entering the draft after his freshman year but since he listened to his coaches he came back...and the same thing happened after his sophomore year...it doesn't take a genius to have guessed he wanted to enter the draft after his junior year as well, especially given how well he played in the tournament, but once again he listened to those who were looking out for him and he wisely let his pride take the backseat by choosing to come back for his senior year.

What is it with your fascination to come off as some kind of insider to the UCONN team when everyone here knows your not?...Its just getting really weird...

It has been that way for a looooooong time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom