Karl Hobbs Interviewing for College of Charlestown HC Job | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Karl Hobbs Interviewing for College of Charlestown HC Job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I didn't know he wasn't even an option (outside of Calhoun), but still its admirable that he did not become disgruntled and such. Especially when not even considered. He's a better man than many, as he was qualified for a 'courtesy' interview or look.

I just loved how he showed dedication to his University and loyalty to Ollie throughout the process. He's a class act all the way.

He deserves the best.

Disgruntled about what? He probably makes 250K plus a year from UConn that he wasn't making anywhere else after being fired from his previous D1 jobs. 250k is a lot better than 0.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
For those that know, who are the top 3-5 stud recruiters out there? How is this quantified?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
images

Reaction Score
For what I believe a few top recruiters are:

Book Richardson (Arizona): He's been pivotal for what I've seen in a bunch of their recruits. I was told Ollie gave him a call the day he got the head coaching gig but he didn't want to come out east at that time.

Kenny Johnson (Louisville): Just came over from Indiana and has gotten them in good spots with many recruits.

Kurt Townshend (Kansas): It's Kansas they get their guys and he's their top assistant.

A couple that just left their schools that are really good were Orlando Antigua (Kentucky now head coach at USF I think) and Steve Woj (Duke now I believe is at Marquette).

There are others but those are the few off the top of my head I know are good.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Hopkins at Syracuse, Keats at Louisville, Capel at Duke, Orlando Early at NC State, Tony Stubblefield at Oregon, Jerome Tang at Baylor.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Can't believe we almost hired this guy after Huggins was fired. Oh how he has fallen down the ladder...

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
If hired, would be quite the sight to see Hobbs on the opposite bench down in PR.. I imagine he was integral in shepherding Kromah to us last year, and Lasan's contributions were crucial at various points in the title-winning season. Good luck Karl, and it might be a good idea not to verbally assault your players :confused:

No doubt Hobbs got us Kromah who I really enjoyed watching. Hobbs also was a big part of the Hamilton/Khaled recruiting process: aka one of the best if not the best recruiting job ever at Uconn! Really liked this guy and although a big loss he deserves to move into a head coaching job again. Wish him the best. #alwaysAhusky

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
If Hobbs does go, I'd hope they'd throw some cash at a serious recruiter - that's the chink in the armor right now.
Meh. Rather have another guy who bleeds our colors, and can talk about being a lottery pick & the tens of millions he made in the league.

Plus he's a clear answer to "who's your big-man coach?"

Honestly feel like recruiting is going to take care of itself if that's what we show up with.

Reaction Score
Can't believe we almost hired this guy after Huggins was fired. Oh how he has fallen down the ladder...

He had GW ranked #5 in the country in the final poll one year.

Reaction Score
upstater said:
He had GW ranked #5 in the country in the final poll one year.

He didn't have the support to win at GW. No money for travel and recruiting and a pathetic budget for coaches. He is a very intense and personable coach.

Reaction Score
Dino Gaudio was a hell of a recruiter at Wake Forest, but would probably only jump back into the coaching game with a HC gig.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I hope he passes. That "snag" in the negotiations that caused both Johnson and Young to pull their names must be a "whopper"!

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The obvious answer to replace Hobbs is Vern Giscombe.
Nice, but I think Vincente Ithier is more of a pure 1 and he's got some good international connections & experience playing for Puerto Rican Nat'l team.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If Hobbs does leave, would be interesting to see if we hire a coach outside the UConn family.

My vote is for Donyell. Not only is he a credit to the program with years of NBA experience, but we can finally put the lid on all the "no big man coach" bitching.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I trust Ollie and co. will make the best decision if Hobbs does leave. Who is considered the "stud" recruiting on our staff now?

Ollie.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My vote is for Donyell. Not only is he a credit to the program with years of NBA experience, but we can finally put the lid on all the "no big man coach" bitching.

What has he ever done to suggest that he would be a good coach?

Reaction Score

The "no big man coach" is one of the more annoying narratives on this board. You don't need to be a former big man to be qualified to coach big men. I'd even venture to say that there is not a single Division 1 assistant coach who doesn't have the knowledge necessary to coach every position on the floor (there aren't that many of them).

If Hobbs were to leave, the most valuable asset that his replacement can bring is recruiting prowess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom