Kaleena Lewis | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kaleena Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When I saw Kaleena in high school, I thought she wasn't as athletically gifted as Maya (who is?), but I did think she had the best hands I had ever seen. She played the point in Mater Dei's game-long full-court press. If she got her hands on the ball, it was a steal. Her ability to control the ball is the same ability that makes her the best shooter.

Kaleena should break Diana's UConn career record for three-pointers made. If she had not been sick or injured last season, she had a real shot at Laurie Koehn's NCAA record and possibly J.J. Redick's NCAA record. That's setting the bar very high. Ray Allen would be proud.

Reaction Score
Kaleena can shoot a basketball better than anybody else in wcbb. She also rebounds (both ends) extraordinarily well, expecially when you consider her height (I don't believe she reaches 5'11"). her passes are accurate and she seldom commits a turnover. Basketball I.Q.? She has an uncanny knack for being at or going to the right place on offense or defense. And Geno never ever criticizes her.

What does this mean? It means she is the best player in wcbb.

Stewie? Not better, but longer. It's no knock on her to fantasize who would be the ultimate go-to player if Kaleena were 6'4" with a 7'1" wingspan.

No team ever had the one-two punch Uconn will have next season with Stewie and Kaleena.

(OK. '27 Yankees with Ruth and Gehrig. Stop there. )
'61 Yankees with Mantle and Maris?

Reaction Score
It may be that a little extra bulk may help her in getting position near the basket
for a shot or a rebound.

In any event, I trust Kaleena to do whatever she thinks is best for her game and
for the team.
I hope you're not suggesting that Kaleena was carrying extra weight because she thought it may be "best for her game". She was quite limited both during her elbow issue and later due to mono, which obviously didn't do anything to help her conditioning. I think her body type is one where she may have a propensity to put on weight if she doesn't work out often. In her sophomore season, she was "more" fit and obviously she had an outstanding season where she improved in all facets of the game and was named an All-American. With her health issues this year, it was far more difficult for her to do the training I'm sure she would have liked to do but as has been mentioned, she contributed wonderfully at key stretches of the season and in particular, in the post season where she not only scored a bunch but was a total monster on the boards. She was a key in those two games in Nebraska where we seemingly couldn't get untracked and struggled mightily! KML deserves all the recognition she gets PLUS! She's a marvelous player and even more marvelous young woman.

Reaction Score
Kaleena can shoot a basketball better than anybody else in wcbb. She also rebounds (both ends) extraordinarily well, expecially when you consider her height (I don't believe she reaches 5'11"). her passes are accurate and she seldom commits a turnover. Basketball I.Q.? She has an uncanny knack for being at or going to the right place on offense or defense. And Geno never ever criticizes her.

What does this mean? It means she is the best player in wcbb.

Stewie? Not better, but longer. It's no knock on her to fantasize who would be the ultimate go-to player if Kaleena were 6'4" with a 7'1" wingspan.

No team ever had the one-two punch Uconn will have next season with Stewie and Kaleena.

(OK. '27 Yankees with Ruth and Gehrig. Stop there. )

Hate to say it but Stewie's a lot better basketball player than Kaleena at least as far as impact. Instead of saying she's better only because she's longer how about some kudos' to Stewie for being real good at a lot of things for a 6'4" girl, and she runs the court better too!

KML needs to shed pounds despite what everyone thinks of her body style. She was slower, less athletic because of both the injuries and weight gain……….she would become tough guard for any defense with 20 less and her frame wouldn't change. She was good in the tourney but she can be great………..this is a huge summer for her I believe if she truly expects more from herself as she should!

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Stewie is the better player and will have a better pro career. That said, I'm awfully glad Kaleena is on our team. That's quite a 1-2 punch.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I was reluctant to comment on Kaleena's weight because I know it has always been a sensitive area of discussion here. In my opinion Kaleena would be a better player if she were significantly lighter, so long as she does not loose muscle mass in the process. There are many examples of elite players who came to realize that a lower body fat percentage raised their game. Stef is a recent example and she has to bang with the big girls every game. Kara Lawson, Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore all have reshaped their bodies over the years to have a lower body fat percentage for performance and longevity reasons. There are others, but those should provide all the evidence needed.

As good as she is now, a leaner, quicker Kaleena will get open more easily, and will still have the strength to operate inside where she'll be quicker to the ball and a better jumper. I would love to see this because she has the talent to be not "just" an AA, but a co-superstar with Stewie. I would like this senior year to be remembered as Kaleena's team and Kaleena's year.

Reaction Score
KLM should had been the MVP not Stewie in my book. She was the most consistence all around in 2013 NCAA tournament. No knock on Stewie though.
I could not agree more. She was the most consistent player in the NCAA tournament in 2014... I actually hope you meant 2014...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kaleena has scored 1,613 career points, despite missing 12 games last season. If she can replicate her sophomore season of 670, she'll finish with 2,283 career points. By way of comparison, the great Maya Moore had 3,036; Tina Charles had 2,346; and Nykesha Sales had 2,178. So Kaleena could finish 2nd or 3rd in career scoring. Three years ago, I had her pegged for 2nd, but didn't count on injury and illness. Kaleena can still pass Tina with a big season. Regardless, she should pass names like Bascom, Lobo, Wolters, Rizzotti, Sales, Bird, Cash, Taurasi, Strother, Hayes, Dolson, and Hartley.

Reaction Score
KLM should had been the MVP not Stewie in my book. She was the most consistence all around in 2013 NCAA tournament. No knock on Stewie though.
Stewie did not win the MVP. There is no such award. Stewie won the MOP of the Final Four, which she was. I believe Kaleena did win the MOP award of the Lincoln Regional, so it's not like she wasn't recognized for her play. There is no award for the best player of the entire NCAA tournament.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
image.jpg

In the Final Four, Stewie scored more than KML (39-33), had more rebounds (16-12), blocked more shots (4-0) and has more assists(6-4). They both played extremely well at both ends of the court. Candidly, I don't think either one cares about MOP awards, just National Championships..!!

Go Huskies..!!!

Last edited:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I would not argue that KML was in the best condition of her life, but I watched the NC game again last night and at various points in the game both Lloyd and McBride ( as well as the other ND players) showed obvious signs of being winded/fatigued, but Kaleena never did. She never appeared to be slacking off, but was doing a marvelous job of conserving the stamina that she had. She is a way smart player, on top of being incredibly talented.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I would not argue that KML was in the best condition of her life, but I watched the NC game again last night and at various points in the game both Lloyd and McBride ( as well as the other ND players) showed obvious signs of being winded/fatigued, but Kaleena never did. She never appeared to be slacking off, but was doing a marvelous job of conserving the stamina that she had. She is a way smart player, on top of being incredibly talented.
That is because she has the heart of Secretariat.

Reaction Score
Icebear, I agree with your comment, she is a warrior............I have a funny feeling we might see a different KML coming OCT..........

Reaction Score
She may not be winded, but boy have I never seen a player sweat so much! I remember a half time interview and she was soaked and sweat was just running down her face. There's no doubt about Kaleena working hard during the games.

Reaction Score
I could not agree more. She was the most consistent player in the NCAA tournament in 2014... I actually hope you meant 2014...
Yeah! I meant 2014. Damn, I'm getting old. Ha ha..

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think Lloyd and McBride had to do much more work than KML... and you sweat more when you're trying to catch-up

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I never really noticed KML's stamina taking a hit from the layoff/weight change through last year, however, I did notice that she was 1/2 to a step slower in quickness than early in the year. She never did seem to get that back. Especially on the defensive end. Wasn't a big problem when you had Dolson, Stewart and Stokes waiting in the lane. Hopefully this summer/fall she can get that step back.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
KML is so good, so savvy, so cool- it is scary! Shoot, rebound & pass! A switch went on when the Tmt started! She is dynamite- even at her current status. And a bit of weight loss would certainly not hurt either. Her first game back vs Duke- we go down without her lights out 3 pt shooting! She is the consummate player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom