Kaleena Lewis | The Boneyard

Kaleena Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It's almost as if 'yarders are demanding that she alter her physique.
She may just not want to do that.

Pretty darned good the way she is.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

That is not what posters are suggesting as such, and you know it.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I know she missed a few games... and wasnt in the best condition. Im also NOT blind that it would be cool to tone up a bit BUT this thread wasnt started to talk about her weight.

I was more or less surprised that most talk is about losing Dolson and Hartley... and Stewie & MoJeff running the show, the incoming frosh, the new verbals/transfer etc. but we also forget that we still have KML

if KML can stay healthy she'll make up for the loss of Hartley and Dolson

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I watched the championship game again and again, and KML was outstanding. Every time ND attempted a come back or started a run, she was in the middle grabbing offensive rebounds or knocking in 3's or ripping the ball out of Reimer's hands.

The post players (Stef, Stewie, KML and Kia) were so dominating in the paint that all the missed jump shots, and there were a lot of them, didn't matter.

They were going to win no matter what and the ND players knew it. Mo played her heart out. She left everything on the floor. Was a joy to watch. I don't have tee time today, maybe I'll watch the game again later...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In watching the video of Kelly's phenomenal game against Duke last year, I could see how trim Kaleena was, compared to this season. I hope she gets to where she wants, whatever that is. I've gotta think that her stamina, energy, quickness, and elevation would be helped by being at last year's level of fitness. Having seen several WNBA players up close on Friday, I was impressed with how Maya Moore, Mo Currie, and Tierra Ruffin-Pratt looked--and played.

I thought that Kaleena was one of the top 2 performers in the NCAA tourney, both this year and last year. I look for her to be a top 2-3 player next season. The last time we had the 2 best players in the country, we did quite well. :)

Reaction Score
I know she missed a few games... and wasnt in the best condition. Im also NOT blind that it would be cool to tone up a bit BUT this thread wasnt started to talk about her weight.

I was more or less surprised that most talk is about losing Dolson and Hartley... and Stewie & MoJeff running the show, the incoming frosh, the new verbals/transfer etc. but we also forget that we still have KML

if KML can stay healthy she's make up for the loss of Hartley and Dolson
If KML can stay healthy, she'll HELP make up for the loss of Hartley and Dolson. That means her scoring will probably increase a bit and she might end up with a little higher rebounding numbers but they played completely different positions and so there are things it's inhumanely possible for her to compensate for. As has been mentioned, Dolson was the quarterback of the offense, with the ball going through her in almost every offensive set. The screens she set, her abilities as a passer from the high post (partially do to her height and her reach) and her ability to find the best scoring option time and time again can't be compensated for by KML. Then too, the intangiles that Stef brought to this time can't be shown just with statistics but you also have to note Dolson's impact on the team with her poise, leadership, humor and energy. She had the ability to lighten up the mood with her smile and her antics and there will be a void. I am comfortable that we will again have a great team but KML alone will not be the answer. With Bria you had a really tough nosed kid who started the break and ran the fast break with abandon and who was always willing to take the big shot, absolutely showing no fear. She was also an exceptional defender who always left everything on the court. They will be missed! I know, however, that we will be very successful next season for a variety of reasons. An improvement in Kia on the offensive end, a return of a healthy Morgan Tuck, a better conditioned and healthy KML, an even more offensive minded Moriah along with an improved Chong and Banks and an even more physically imposing Breanna will rule the day. Then there's the outstanding freshman class. With ALL these pieces, we can compensate for losing two tough nosed and awfully talented seniors who helped guide us to back to back championships.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I watched the championship game again and again, and KML was outstanding. Every time ND attempted a come back or started a run, she was in the middle grabbing offensive rebounds or knocking in 3's or ripping the ball out of Reimer's hands.
I was very impressed... I said geesh KML is gonna be something else next season... paired with Stewie and MoJeff, UConn will be fine.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
KML had a KM-HELL of an NCAA tournament this past season despite not being 100%. She is a warrior, she's the truth, and she's gonna leave Storrs with her name on the Huskies of Honor Wall and three national championships!

Reaction Score
Not in this thread, precisely, no
But's it been a pretty common theme.
I agree; it came up a lot. I think some people look at her and conclude she could miss a meal or two. They expect that if she was trimmer she would be even better, but I think she just has a different body type.
I was and still am happy with her the way she is. I watched the tournament games several times and can't remember her sucking wind at all. If she wants to lose a few pounds then she should. It might make her a little quicker on defense.
Meanwhile, those jump shots of hers are among the prettiest plays in all of sport.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Not in this thread, precisely, no
But's it been a pretty common theme.

Well then, call someone out by name on the spot next time, , instead of passive aggressive missiles hurled at who knows who or who knows when.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

God forbid she'd actually want to improve. Athletes who get in better shape perform better. Fact.

Reaction Score
It may be that a little extra bulk may help her in getting position near the basket
for a shot or a rebound.

In any event, I trust Kaleena to do whatever she thinks is best for her game and
for the team.

Reaction Score
In watching the video of Kelly's phenomenal game against Duke last year, I could see how trim Kaleena was, compared to this season. I hope she gets to where she wants, whatever that is. I've gotta think that her stamina, energy, quickness, and elevation would be helped by being at last year's level of fitness. Having seen several WNBA players up close on Friday, I was impressed with how Maya Moore, Mo Currie, and Tierra Ruffin-Pratt looked--and played.

I thought that Kaleena was one of the top 2 performers in the NCAA tourney, both this year and last year. I look for her to be a top 2-3 player next season. The last time we had the 2 best players in the country, we did quite well. :)

Reaction Score
Great player. Sometimes slightly overlooked (uh, geez she's an All American...but this IS UConn) among the trees and rabbits. Maybe a bit reminiscent of Charles Barkley, but more pleasant ;)

She is a huge asset to the team and will be just fine. I look forward to seeing her in the 'new setting' in her senior year.

Reaction Score
I agree; it came up a lot. I think some people look at her and conclude she could miss a meal or two. They expect that if she was trimmer she would be even better, but I think she just has a different body type.
I was and still am happy with her the way she is. I watched the tournament games several times and can't remember her sucking wind at all. If she wants to lose a few pounds then she should. It might make her a little quicker on defense.
Meanwhile, those jump shots of hers are among the prettiest plays in all of sport.

Agree all the way. Also there's a reason that she is a decent rebounder without the height. She can move bodies with that frame.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Love Kaleena. Some others (outside the UConn fanbase) might forget about how important and great she is, but I certainly don't. :)

As far as her overall shape/conditioning goes, I think both she and one of the coaching staff (CD?) have acknowledged in public quotes that she isn't at her peak at various points this year; I believe the CD quote was actually fairly late in the year, too.

Remember that as a senior, it's no longer just about what KML can do for UConn, but also what she can do for herself in professional basketball. In the WNBA, players tend to be quicker and stronger than their college equivalents, across all positions that KML could conceivably spend time guarding. Increasing her agility will increase her ability to defend WNBA guards and wings, and that will increase her overall value to any team.

It is true that KML's frame is more sturdy than some. If you want an idea of what KML in peak physical condition might look like, think Odyssey Sims with a few extra inches of height.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I feel badly for KML - if not for her injury and then sickness, she was somewhat on track to break some 3-point shooting records. Can't imagine a more deserving kid. Still, while I know she does not crave individual accolades, she will just have to be content with 3 NC's... ;)

Side note on DC's original point, if you listen to KML talk, she will often mention some facet of her game she wants to work on. I have no doubt she will be fierce her senior year, and if (hopefully) a fitness regime is part of it, she'll have that much more stamina...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Kaleena can shoot a basketball better than anybody else in wcbb. She also rebounds (both ends) extraordinarily well, expecially when you consider her height (I don't believe she reaches 5'11"). her passes are accurate and she seldom commits a turnover. Basketball I.Q.? She has an uncanny knack for being at or going to the right place on offense or defense. And Geno never ever criticizes her.

What does this mean? It means she is the best player in wcbb.

Stewie? Not better, but longer. It's no knock on her to fantasize who would be the ultimate go-to player if Kaleena were 6'4" with a 7'1" wingspan.

No team ever had the one-two punch Uconn will have next season with Stewie and Kaleena.

(OK. '27 Yankees with Ruth and Gehrig. Stop there. )

Last edited:

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Agree all the way. Also there's a reason that she is a decent rebounder without the height. She can move bodies with that frame.
And nobody on our team has better hands than KML. Not too many rebounds that she touches does she lose. KML was our best player over 6 gm NCAA Tmt- hands down. She was epic. Rebounding, and Magic Johnson like dishes and assists- especially in the paint. She made clutch shots when we were desperate for hoops in every game. St Jos game in Gampel, her triple double was unreal. And in Nebraska she was putting us on her shoulders. She has a sense of the game like few others. She is a quiet, classy superstar!!!!!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I feel badly for KML - if not for her injury and then sickness, she was somewhat on track to break some 3-point shooting records. Can't imagine a more deserving kid. Still, while I know she does not crave individual accolades, she will just have to be content with 3 NC's... ;)

Side note on DC's original point, if you listen to KML talk, she will often mention some facet of her game she wants to work on. I have no doubt she will be fierce her senior year, and if (hopefully) a fitness regime is part of it, she'll have that much more stamina...
She looked slow when she came back from the injury. And I also noticed she was not getting or holding loose balls and rebounds that she was touching- that never happens. So maybe that was the mono. But over the NCAA Tmt- she was our MVP. I never saw her not making any plays at the end of games because she was tired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom