Jordan Danberry granted another year MSU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jordan Danberry granted another year MSU

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wow. Massive news for Mississippi State. I imagine she'll take over as starting PG. Excellent decision maker and very good inside the arc. Should be a better option than Taylor IMO. Mississippi State has a lot of working pieces this year for Vic to shuffle around.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Wow. Massive news for Mississippi State. I imagine she'll take over as starting PG. Excellent decision maker and very good inside the arc. Should be a better option than Taylor IMO. Mississippi State has a lot of working pieces this year for Vic to shuffle around.
... and I can't help but wonder which pieces will get lost in the shuffle.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
... and I can't help but wonder which pieces will get lost in the shuffle.

I'd guess the eventual lineup will be:
Danberry
AEH
Jackson
Bibby
P Taylor

Bench:
Scott-backup wing
Carter-backup post
M Taylor-backup PG

Fortunately for Vic, it wont be hard to spread the minutes around since theyre playing so many cupcakes to start the year. Honestly though, he does a great job of getting players to work well together so I think theyll gel quickly even if they haven't played a ton of minutes together. We saw MSU adjust fine after losing 4 starters from his 2018 squad so I think theyll be very good once again. The following year theyll return everyone but Danberry and add in Cooks.

Reaction Score
Major surprise to me, I had no idea Jordan was eligible for a waiver. I thought she played 1 season at Ark and 3 at MSST, Mildog, is that not correct?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Evina & Kat Tudor of Oregon State are next in line.

I certainly hope so. UConn had a good summer (recruiting). Let's hope their lucky streak continues, and Evina's waiver request is granted. Then we can proceed to try and figure out who that 5th starter will be. :rolleyes:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Major surprise to me, I had no idea Jordan was eligible for a waiver. I thought she played 1 season at Ark and 3 at MSST, Mildog, is that not correct?
She played 6 games as a soph at Arkansas before transferring. She sat out the first chunk of her junior season so she effectively missed a full year of eligibility without redshirting which was the reason stated on an article I saw. Havent heard of them making exceptions like this before, but I'd expect we'll see more waivers and exceptions to come.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Danberry sat out the 2nd half of her sophomore season and the first semester of her junior season as required by the year in residency transfer requirement. What the NCAA seems to be doing is amending it’s rule that if you play in 2 or 10% of your teams games (whichever is larger), you have used up a year of eligibility. Since the rule has not been changed as far as I know, the NCAA appears to be deciding these cases on a case by case basis. Maybe one of our resident experts on ncaa rules can help.

Reaction Score
@Plebe, you read the fine print?

Reaction Score
She played 6 games as a soph at Arkansas before transferring. She sat out the first chunk of her junior season so she effectively missed a full year of eligibility without redshirting which was the reason stated on an article I saw. Havent heard of them making exceptions like this before, but I'd expect we'll see more waivers and exceptions to come.
Correct. She left after playing six games her sophomore year at Arkansas. She then sat the spring semester at MSU then started playing her junior year after the following fall semester at MSU. Last year was then her senior year (fourth year playing in college).
I remember Coach Schaefer said they considered redshirting her entire junior year so she would have two full seasons instead of the partial junior season plus a full senior season. However he determined they couldn’t afford to do that as she was too valuable as a defensive sub.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I remember Coach Schaefer said they considered redshirting her entire junior year so she would have two full seasons instead of the partial junior season plus a full senior season. However he determined they couldn’t afford to do that as she was too valuable as a defensive sub.

Turned out that was the best decision of her college basketball lifetime.

Reaction Score
I am all for it as long as they are consistent across the board.
It would appear initially to make sense that you would sit out the equivalent of a year of college (fall and Spring or spring and fall) but if it is midterm then you could complete the remainder of that prior partial year. However in contrast and using the same line of thought, if a player was redshirting then left at midterm then the player would have to sit the fall term and lose that period of play too.

Reaction Score
I'm thrilled Danberry will be back again. However, this is yet another waiver that to me doesn't make sense and isn't consistent with past rulings. Of course the NCAA is worse than the federal government about being inconsistent. I know she will help the team.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I am all for it as long as they are consistent across the board.

That's not going to happen. Which leads one to ask what exactly is the NCAA using to determine approval. Some transparency on approvals would be great, but we'll never get that either.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of a few years ago at South Carolina where we had a MBB player transfer in from Villanova after their exhibition game in which he played. He petitioned the NCAA to get that year back but the NCAA rejected it saying playing in that exhibition was enough to account for a full season of eligibility.

The NCAA will shaft South Carolina on waivers and send us to the West Coast. Just have to accept it.

I guess I should say it's a good thing that this was granted, I just have a hard time believing that it would go our way if we were in the same place. Which makes it hard to feel good about it.

I hate, hate, hate this ad hoc way of determining waivers.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
Seems to me they need to change the rule. Effectively speaking she played three seasons of basketball and sat out a year.

Sometimes common sense needs to come into play. This is one of those times.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
The NCAA will shaft South Carolina on waivers and send us to the West Coast. Just have to accept it.

I guess I should say it's a good thing that this was granted, I just have a hard time believing that it would go our way if we were in the same place. Which makes it hard to feel good about it.

I hate, hate, hate this ad hoc way of determining waivers.
With these other waivers granted, Destiny Littleton better be eligible this season.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
With these other waivers granted, Destiny Littleton better be eligible this season.
She may be, the way things are going. But in fairness these recently announced cases are qualitatively different from hers.

Reaction Score

The frustrating thing to me is that recent article from the State suggested they were still putting together her waiver application.

Maybe I read more into than I should and it has already been done, but why in the world would this not have been submitted as soon as she enrolled?

Especially after their decision to delay the T. Cooper waiver request resulted in the NCAA never getting around to reviewing it.

Reaction Score
The frustrating thing to me is that recent article from the State suggested they were still putting together her waiver application.

Maybe I read more into than I should and it has already been done, but why in the world would this not have been submitted as soon as she enrolled?

Especially after their decision to delay the T. Cooper waiver request resulted in the NCAA never getting around to reviewing it.
NCAA did review Te’a’s waiver application and denied it.

As for Destiny, I also find am concerned if they have not yet submitted her application to the NCAA. Crazy to wait this long.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom