John A.: Highlights from a difficult win | The Boneyard

John A.: Highlights from a difficult win

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
UConn’s 67 points were 19 fewer than its season average. It was 5 of 25 from the three-point line. The Huskies had more turnovers than assists (11 to 10) for the first time in a long time. Their 33 first-half points were their fewest of the season.

To remedy it, Geno Aureimma says he may consider tightening his rotation from nine down. He senses some offensive continuity has been lost since the return of Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and Morgan Tuck at Duke. We’ll see how that goes.

LINK

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Probably needs a thread of its own but I feel that one of the players most affected (negatively) by the new rotations is Bria Hartley.
She's had an unusual season; sometimes playing like a superstar, Occasionally disappearing.

In her case, whatever issues (if any) have less (IMHO) to do with the return of KML and Morgan, more with her changed role in the offense with MoJeff's emergence. I sense unease.

Although perhaps more suited to a #2 guard, I think she relishes running the point and hasn't quite found her spot as shooting guard (taking into account Geno's predilection for combi-guards).

I've been thinking about this for several weeks…there is always the possibility that she's not completely fit; that her ankle is not 100%

Morgan didn't play a great deal until late but I was wrong about Morgan last year with regard how her injuries reduced her playing time and I'm not going to go there again.

Reaction Score
KML has to learn to limit her fouls. When she was pulled after three, resulting in 2 - 3 other substitutions the team just lost its cohesiveness and never seemed to regain it.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
KML has to learn to limit her fouls. When she was pulled after three, resulting in 2 - 3 other substitutions the team just lost its cohesiveness and never seemed to regain it.
In 81 career games, she has committed 133 fouls. Less than 2 per game.

I think she knows how to limit her fouls.

Reaction Score
Agree on KML and the fouling. Coaching staff also has to take at least a partial hit on her being in there with two. At least they have to make a note that maybe she can't be out there when she's in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Must be a trend.
Well she's too good to bench so hopefully she figures it out and doesn't bench herself with foul trouble. She has to be a little rusty still from her lack of game action.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well she's too good to bench so hopefully she figures it out and doesn't bench herself with foul trouble. She has to be a little rusty still from her lack of game action.
Sonny said she needs to learn how to stay out of foul trouble. You agreed.

The stats show she knows how. It's not something she needs to learn how to do.

Tonight's game shows she is human and made some mistakes.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The game was a mess and we won by 30+. I kinda liked KML coming off the bench with instant offense. Kiah/ BB starting giving them confidence much like those 8 games we played against top teams and won. Geno is right the flow was much better with KML and Tuck coming off the bench. Instant Offense. This is a good time to try things before the Baylor and Lville games. Even those games we should win handily. I am still concerned that Tuck is not 100%.

Reaction Score
The game was a mess and we won by 30+. I kinda liked KML coming off the bench with instant offense. Kiah/ BB starting giving them confidence much like those 8 games we played against top teams and won. Geno is right the flow was much better with KML and Tuck coming off the bench. Instant Offense. This is a good time to try things before the Baylor and Lville games. Even those games we should win handily. I am still concerned that Tuck is not 100%.

I don't think it is a good idea to game plan for BS to take 20 shots a game, which is what Geno seems to want.
Seems like when you do that, a lot of things can become forced. Isn't UConn offensive philosophy is to pass the
ball and get the best open shot possible instead of forcing the issue to get a particular player a certain number
of shots ? I have seen game where Kobe Bryant only attempt 5 shots and focus on distributing the balls to the
open man, granted it does not happen often.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Probably needs a thread of its own but I feel that one of the players most affected (negatively) by the new rotations is Bria Hartley.
She's had an unusual season; sometimes playing like a superstar, Occasionally disappearing.

In her case, whatever issues (if any) have less (IMHO) to do with the return of KML and Morgan, more with her changed role in the offense with MoJeff's emergence. I sense unease.

Although perhaps more suited to a #2 guard, I think she relishes running the point and hasn't quite found her spot as shooting guard (taking into account Geno's predilection for combi-guards).

I've been thinking about this for several weeks…there is always the possibility that she's not completely fit; that her ankle is not 100%

Morgan didn't play a great deal until late but I was wrong about Morgan last year with regard how her injuries reduced her playing time and I'm not going to go there again.

She has made numerous rookie mistakes the last few games. She has driven into trouble without a plan or a bad one at best. We need her to get back to the assertive but in control person she was just after the injuries to KML and MoTuck.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Agree with Doggy here. I do think she may be still not quite up to speed from her injury. To me she seems maybe 1/2 step slower. Which could cause her to reach a little more, rather than use her feet to "get there". I think she will get back up to speed here soon.

Reaction Score
Sonny said she needs to learn how to stay out of foul trouble. You agreed.

The stats show she knows how. It's not something she needs to learn how to do.

Tonight's game shows she is human and made some mistakes.

She also has had less game time to adjust to the new rules.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The sky is falling, or as I like to think, finals and the holiday season are upon us. Team has been off, away, and is out of routine at the same time they are reintegrating two key players returning from injury. That is going to be problematic and lead to ugly 30 point wins.
Stewart was off, Stef got very few shots, 3 point shooting showed the effect of too many big meals and holiday sweets.
I do agree that Hartley has been a bit off for a few games, but then again, she had some nice shots today and continues to play well most of the time.

Reaction Score
A ridiculous comment.......picking out one game to characterize a pattern of foul trouble? One thing for sure, you never played basketball.
Basically I said she had an off day as far as fouling. I know what I saw. I guess I can't criticize a star player. I bow to those that can decide who did or did not ever play basketball!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Sorry, I thought ctkaiser's comment was spot on. KML has been taught how not to foul, an the evidence shows the lessons sunk in. Yesterday, it wasn't obvious. We've all seen situations where a player is trying not to foul and just gets caught up in a weird situation. That wasn't the case yesterday (although I don't recall the first foul circumstances.)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Basically I said she had an off day as far as fouling. I know what I saw. I guess I can't criticize a star player. I bow to those that can decide who did or did not ever play basketball!
Sonny said "KML has to learn to limit her fouls." and you agreed.

Sorry, but she has never had issues with fouls. The few games she did are the anomaly. To say she needs to "Figure it out" makes no sense.

Criticize away, unless you are too sensitive to have anyone disagree with you.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Sorry, I thought ctkaiser's comment was spot on. KML has been taught how not to foul, an the evidence shows the lessons sunk in. Yesterday, it wasn't obvious. We've all seen situations where a player is trying not to foul and just gets caught up in a weird situation. That wasn't the case yesterday (although I don't recall the first foul circumstances.)

The comment that said it wasn't obvious that the lessons for not fouling sunk in? I suppose it was an accurate statement. Certainly for that last foul.

But I believe the criticisms are based on other comments, keyed off of the post by Sonny. Those were just silly.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

Stop whining. You posted, I responded. That is what a message board is about. I did not say you CAN'T critique, I just said your critique was ridiculous. Post away, just don’t think your words are re so sacrosanct that they stand immune to response.
It's not personal. it's just business.;)

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score

This is the kind of "The sky isn't falling" thinking that dominates the Boneyard and makes it hard for realists (such as myself) to get our points across. Who cares what a person has done throughout their career? The only thing that counts is the last game because it could be the beginning of a new trend.

To give one example, if a player shoots 50% careerwise and shoots 4-15 in her last game, a conservative yet progressive coach (in a basketball sense) would see the beginning of a new trend and immediately bench the player. But in this case it's hard to argue that anyone in the bench rotation should get the start and the coach should go straight to the walk-ons. Not only will this be an immediate positive for the team situation, but it could have the unintended consequence of making more students want to walk-on the team, and help clear up the long term problem that there are not enough players on the team to begin with. I'm sure very few 'Yarders on this gloomy board will probably agree with me, however.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

This is the kind of "The sky isn't falling" thinking that dominates the Boneyard and makes it hard for realists (such as myself) to get our points across. Who cares what a person has done throughout their career? The only thing that counts is the last game because it could be the beginning of a new trend.

To give one example, if a player shoots 50% careerwise and shoots 4-15 in her last game, a conservative yet progressive coach (in a basketball sense) would see the beginning of a new trend and immediately bench the player. But in this case it's hard to argue that anyone in the bench rotation should get the start and the coach should go straight to the walk-ons. Not only will this be an immediate positive for the team situation, but it could have the unintended consequence of making more students want to walk-on the team, and help clear up the long term problem that there are not enough players on the team to begin with. I'm sure very few 'Yarders on this gloomy board will probably agree with me, however.

I always agree with you, but most of the time I don't know what you are talking about.

Last edited:

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
Stop whining. You posted, I responded. That is what a message board is about. I did not say you CAN'T critique, I just said your critique was ridiculous. Post away, just don’t think your words are re so sacrosanct that they stand immune to response.
These are some of the nastiest remarks I've ever read.

Husky...sensitive and sensual...Bill

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Wow.....Ozzie got mad!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc