John A.: Geno responds to Muffet's comment | The Boneyard

John A.: Geno responds to Muffet's comment

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
More from Rich:

Here is what UConn coach Geno Auriemma had to say today about McGraw’s comments …

“When you grow up in Philadelphia you tend to exaggerate,’’ Auriemma said. “I know that first-hand. Trust me. Hey, everybody should talk very, very highly about their team and their accomplishments and what they do and what they’ve done. I bet you if you ask Tara Vanderveer who’s the best player in the country she would say Chiney (Ogwumike). And if you ask Kim Mulkey who’s best player in the country she would say Odyssey Sims. So I think if you say anything other than that you’re probably not going to be very popular in your own locker room.

“The scheduling part … Let me just say it’s not nice to fib during Lent. That’s all I would have to say about that.’’

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What is important for Muffet is that her players believe UConn tried to duck them. I am glad Geno called her out with just the right tone. She may need these off the court things, but we don't and it need not extend, though I am sure Muffet will be queried about it. She may not understand how that little psychological tid bit can rebound and bust her in the nose. Petty BS.

Reaction Score
What is important for Muffet is that her players believe UConn tried to duck them. I am glad Geno called her out with just the right tone. She may need these off the court things, but we don't and it need not extend, though I am sure Muffet will be queried about it. She may not understand how that little psychological tid bit can rebound and bust her in the nose. Petty BS.

what is the real story re scheduling ?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It really is too bad that both UT and ND don't want to play UCONN. WCBB could use these high-profile match-ups.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

ND announced it was joining the ACC for the 2013-2014 season on March 12,2013. UConn already had its OOC schedule in place by then and would have had to break an existing agreement to fit ND in to its schedule. UConn refused to do that. It should also be noted that UConn had 16 OOC games on its schedule -- 2 more than in previous years -- so adding another game was not possible. I'm also sure UConn had little motivation to say yes to Notre Dame after the way conference alignment played out.

The schools have since agreed to play beginning next season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Unless one works in UConn's athletic department it would be tough to know for certain. Having a maxed out schedule for this season seems like a pretty good reason to "duck" ND.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There are a whole bunch of threads on this topic. UC ADept. said it tried to work scheduling with ND last winter and got no response. ND later said UC contacted wrong person (apparently wrong person did not know how to pass along a message or so advise UConn). So essentially ND fell back on the dog ate my homework defense.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
There are a whole bunch of threads on this topic. UC ADept. said it tried to work scheduling with ND last winter and got no response. ND later said UC contacted wrong person (apparently wrong person did not know how to pass along a message or so advise UConn). So essentially ND fell back on the dog ate my homework defense.
I think you are confusing the scheduling "issues" for next year's season with the issue that Cat outlined above that led to ND and UConn not playing this past season.

The whole set of circumstances you refer to have been resolved and UConn and ND will play next season.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think you are confusing the scheduling "issues" for next year's season with the issue that Cat outlined above that led to ND and UConn not playing this past season.

The whole set of circumstances you refer to have been resolved and UConn and ND will play next season.

Well aware of them playing a home and home 2 year. Maybe I am confusing the 2, but if I am...it is all Muffet's fault. :mad:

The 2013 nonconference schedule of both teams was likely firm before conference realignment hit, leaving no real opportunity for scheduling a game for this season. So however you slice it, Pinnochio lives in the head coach's office at ND.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is the "Dog Ate Homework" a man-to-man or zone?

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
What's the big deal? ND will play us next year.

As usual Geno was masterful.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
It really is too bad that both UT and ND don't want to play UCONN. WCBB could use these high-profile match-ups.
ETT it may never happen. What the Tenn and Pat tried to do to UConn UConn coaches UConns fans and players and recruits was one of the most horrible things that anybody could dream up. It was a work in process for a very long time with no substantial evidence. It showed their hatred toward the entire UConn program with down right lies. As much as so fans want it back it will never be the same and if they should meet in the NCAA tournament I hope UConn does not take out their starters and blow Tenn out of the water for what they tried to pull off. If you read the Summit the hatred is still there.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Muffet responded to Geno's comments from yesterday. BTW, Geno's comments were made at the UConn press conference which was yesterday afternoon, probably during the ND game. I guess the SBT reporters or ND's pr guy are following what Geno says very closely because she was asked about it during the post-game press conference. From the SBT:

McGraw didn’t want to respond to Auriemma’s personal comments about her, but emphatically denied that she or anyone associated Notre Dame has not told the truth about the scheduling issues with Connecticut. She said that when the news broke that the Irish were leaving the Big East after last season for the Atlantic Coast Conference, Notre Dame wanted to keep Connecticut on the schedule, but that the Huskies claimed they couldn’t work anything out for this season.

“We tried to work something out for this season,” McGraw said. “We wanted to play them, and they finally agreed for next season.”

http://m.southbendtribune.com/sport...db8-b220-11e3-b573-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

In an article in the SBT Muffet said UConn "ducked" playing ND this year, i.e., were afraid to play them. That's the part that is a fib. She knows that.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Duh...Like, what possible reason could Geno have for wanting to dodge ND?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Yeah, that is some serious backtracking. If he was really ducking them, why would he have agreed to play them the next season?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I just find it fascinating that the war of words this time began with Muffet, not Geno. He's typically the one who starts this stuff. Muffet started on the scheduling after the FF (in May) and has not let up. It seems like she's trying to be like Geno, maybe hoping it will help her team play more relaxed than it did last year.

Reaction Score
I think they are two great showmen. This all helps to put the game on the front page (down, under the fold lol) and helps to energize the fans and motivate the troops. The thin-skinned "Ladies" never understood that. And any baseball fan in Connecticut can attest the trash talk is part of the fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom