Joe D's WTIC invitation... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Joe D's WTIC invitation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
GDL is upstairs
Understood. And that could be part of the OL problem. Seems like the guy who produced 6 All-Big East linemen could take time from his TE coaching duties to convey his wisdom. Maybe GDL is on speakerphone. We'll find out Sat.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Kelly from Milford gets my vote. . . . her observation from her seat behind UConn bench is that no one is talking to the OLine when the defense is on the field. Id hate to think that's the case but based on everything else Ive seen it is very easy to believe. Will keep my eyes peeled Saturday.

That is damning. These guys have to go.

Reaction Score
Speakerphone? More like "can you hear me now?"

Maybe GDL has those goofy play placards in the booth window--strange combinations of photos that mean nothing to the untrained eye (like a dump truck, platypus and Larry King) but translate to a magnificent blocking scheme to those in the know.

Or not....

Foley rarely spends more than a minute or two talking to the o-linemen. They spend the rest of the time coaching each other. No white board, no drawing in the grass on the sidelines. I know it's a plus to have players that are "coaches on the field" but is a coach on the sidelines too much to ask? Waiting until halftime is too late. They can be an effective group...don't let them play in a vacuum.

Reaction Score
That really is damning. On the bright side, we got Edsall back and it stings the Terps. And we creamed UMass. Almost had the Wolfpack.

Reaction Score
GDL is upstairs

Which is why head coaches and coordinators shouldn't be position coaches. Somebody actually has to talk to these guys during the games. The whole offensive line can't get on the telephone and talk to the man upstairs.

Guys, this is even worse than we imagined. I remember how disorganized that Buffalo team looked in 2005. Our team looks that disorganized.

I still can't get past that big 3rd down against NC State in the second half. After a timeout we STILL didn't have the right players on the field. CONFUSION.

These coaches do not have their together.

Reaction Score
A couple of things here...first of all, it isn't uncommon for the offensive coordinator to be up in the booth. So let's drop that. Less common for the Defensive guy to be there. I've always assumed that has to do with the different functions. As far as not talking to the o-line, I find it hard to believe that some offensive coach, Foley, the running back coach or someone else, isn't designated to work with those guys and relay information from upstairs when they are off the field. Not sure I automatically buy an anonymous caller to a radio program, but maybe. certainly something worth watching for, but I'd be a little surprised if its true.

Reaction Score
A couple of things here...first of all, it isn't uncommon for the offensive coordinator to be up in the booth. So let's drop that. Less common for the Defensive guy to be there. I've always assumed that has to do with the different functions. As far as not talking to the o-line, I find it hard to believe that some offensive coach, Foley, the running back coach or someone else, isn't designated to work with those guys and relay information from upstairs when they are off the field.

This... ^^^^

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A couple of things here...first of all, it isn't uncommon for the offensive coordinator to be up in the booth. So let's drop that. Less common for the Defensive guy to be there. I've always assumed that has to do with the different functions. As far as not talking to the o-line, I find it hard to believe that some offensive coach, Foley, the running back coach or someone else, isn't designated to work with those guys and relay information from upstairs when they are off the field. Not sure I automatically buy an anonymous caller to a radio program, but maybe. certainly something worth watching for, but I'd be a little surprised if its true.

If you find "hard to believe", aren't you saying that if it was true it would be a major oversight by the coaching staff?

And FWIW, the "anonymous caller to a radio program" was backed up by two Yard regulars.

Reaction Score
Scoot, I don't think anyone is killing GDL for being up in the booth. If the OLine is being left unattended while they're on the sidelines, that is a problem. I heard UConnKelly on the air and it didn't sound as if she was making it up out of thin air. It sounded plausible enough that I'll be checking out the bench Saturday. These guys don't even know enough to use timeouts properly, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that they're not tending to the group that is taking the most heat here from people who are blaming players first and coaches second.

Reaction Score
Scoot, I don't think anyone is killing GDL for being up in the booth. If the OLine is being left unattended while they're on the sidelines, that is a problem. I heard UConnKelly on the air and it didn't sound as if she was making it up out of thin air. It sounded plausible enough that I'll be checking out the bench Saturday. These guys don't even know enough to use timeouts properly, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that they're not tending to the group that is taking the most heat here from people who are blaming players first and coaches second.
Actually some people are blaming DeLeone for being upstairs. I didn't hear the radio comments so I guess I can't really comment on the specifics. It simply sounds far-fetched to me. It is absolutely something to watch for. Of course if someone told me a head basketball coach would call time out then stand arms folded with his back to the team huddle while they figured it out, I wouldn't believe that either, until I saw it...didn't happen all the time, but it happened. Without having seen it or the situation, I don't know.

Reaction Score
I'm going to miss JC on the sidelines this basketball season. . . .when the games got boring he provided plenty of entertainment. Maybe PP can bring him into locker room Saturday pregame to fire up the boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom