Joanne P. McCallie: I Am Not Buying | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Joanne P. McCallie: I Am Not Buying

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I 'm not privy to any inside stuff but I do know that Benijah's top three came down to Duke, UCONN, and Rutgers.
http://www.dukechronicle.com/blogs/...op-mccallie-recruits-coming-town#.VYDnJXnbLIU
The was speculation that Benijah was committed to Duke but JPM continue to recruit players at wing position in the same class and Benijah opted out and went to Rutgers.
I remember a lot of RU fans being concerned that she appeared to be considering other options. Of the two somewhat "in" folks I would talk with back when we still lived in NJ, one said that Yolanda did not want her daughter to simply commit to her coach without exploring all her options and taking her visits, etc. The other cited whatever the issue was between CVS and Yolanda, although it was supposedly patched up. It wasn't anything "recent". Both said "don't worry".

Of course, they both could have been full of it, but in the end Benijah's career was at RU.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In terms of "lessons learned," the only real lesson seems to be something like "UConn is better than us" or "We can't beat them" or "We shouldn't play them." There doesn't seem to be a specific lesson that Duke can constructively build on, such as we need better inside play, we need to stay out of foul trouble, we need to improve our conditioning, etc. It feels like Groundhog Day: Duke comes in with high hopes, UConn wins by 30, and JPM blames the players. Year after year. I have yet to see her accept any blame for poor coaching.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
In terms of "lessons learned," the only real lesson seems to be something like "UConn is better than us" or "We can't beat them" or "We shouldn't play them." There doesn't seem to be a specific lesson that Duke can constructively build on, such as we need better inside play, we need to stay out of foul trouble, we need to improve our conditioning, etc. It feels like Groundhog Day: Duke comes in with high hopes, UConn wins by 30, and JPM blames the players. Year after year. I have yet to see her accept any blame for poor coaching.
great coaching... she would still lose, probably just not by as much

Reaction Score
Comparing Gail Goestenkors' last seven years at Duke with McCallie's eight years at Duke produces the following (information from pages 162-173 of the 2014-15 Media Guide and the 2014-2015 Schedule/Results)

Overall record:
Goestenkors: 220-25 (89.79 percent)
McCallie: 225-53 (80.94 percent)

ACC record:
Goestenkors: 98-8 (92.45 percent)
McCallie: 100-22 (81.97 percent)

NCAA record:
Goestenkors: 23-7 (one NCAA runner-up, three Final Fours, five years at least making the Elite eight, all seven years at least making the Sweet 16)
McCallie: 18-8 (zero Final Fours, four Elite Eights, six years at least making the Sweet 16, two second round losses

Against Opponents Ranked #1 or #2:
Goestenkors: 5-7 (41.67 percent)
McCallie: 0-18 (00.00 percent)

Against Opponents Ranked in the Top 5:
Goestenkors: 14-14 (50.00 percent)
McCallie: 7-26 (21.21 percent)

Against Opponents Ranked in the Top 10:
Goestenkors: 25-14 (64.10 percent)
McCallie: 19-32 (37.25 percent)

Against All Ranked Opponents:
Goestenkors: 60-20 (80.00 percent)
McCallie: 58-43 (57.43 percent)

Against Tennessee:
Goestenkors: 4-3 (5-4 for her career; 4-3 against Tennessee over her last seven years)
McCallie: 1-1

Against UConn:
Goestenkors: 2-1 (2-2 for her career; 2-1 against UConn over her last seven years; both wins in the State of Connecticut)
McCallie: 0-8 (and only one loss was less than 22 points, and that was by 16 points)

And against UConn in the McCallie Era, Duke has scored over 52 points in only one of those eight games while scoring in the 40s in five of the eight. Duke has allowed between 74 and 87 points in seven of the eight games. Duke has lost those eight games by an average of 29 points...notwithstanding the fact that Duke was ranked in the Top 10 for every single one of those games (and in the Top 5 for four of the eight).

The logic: Goestenkors did much better while she was there; but, it tells very little about what she would have accomplishe had she stayed at Duke. Indeed, her stay at UT was unconvincing to say the least. I think the best argument is that People here have needed someone to hate and she fits the script. That is, first we selected her then went out to find all the reasons why her. As the old Western advertisement had it: "HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL." Of course there are 'these things' about her that do cause a bit of discomfort, but I have some with Geno as well. And sometimes I wonder if I'm not seduced by the fetish of winning.
For Duke, McCallie (probably) doesn't need to win a NC- just win. They could easily reduce wbb to a club sport with little or nothing at stake. For Uconn, Geno and whom ever follow him must win championships, otherwise we will fade. It is this angst that hangs over us and which is then displaced on poor NcCallie. Personally, I think she will win whereever she goes- even Uconn. When she lost her top recruiters I was in doubt about how she might continue; however, she seems to be recruiting better then ever. I might argue that it is the School- who needs to sell Duke! But, she is the commander and it is under her watch, so give her what is due.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
great coaching... she would still lose, probably just not by as much

The Duke offense is very basic inside first and to put a more sophisticated one in that allows
you to compete against the best takes a ton of time. She has a family with two teenagers loves
her golf & tennis and if you throw in her personal and coaching travels it leaves us knocking
on the door for some time. There is always a chance Salvador's could have another 40+game
to get us to the promised land.

Reaction Score
I 'm not privy to any inside stuff but I do know that Benijah's top three came down to Duke, UCONN, and Rutgers.
http://www.dukechronicle.com/blogs/...op-mccallie-recruits-coming-town#.VYDnJXnbLIU
The was speculation that Benijah was committed to Duke but JPM continue to recruit players at wing position in the same class and Benijah opted out and went to Rutgers.

Are you suggesting there was a chance Laney was going to another school besides Rutgers? That she would have chosen not to play for her godmother?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Are you suggesting there was a chance Laney was going to another school besides Rutgers? That she would have chosen not to play for her godmother?
Yes I am. Not just another any other school Duke to be specific and JPM messed it up.

Reaction Score
And her press conference behavior is now a joke for other coaches.

There are other extremely disturbing issues and trends, such as the turnover among players and assistant coaches. Goestenkors had three assistant coaches and two staff people (later three), not counting Lindy Brown, the SID (who covers multiple sports). McCallie has three assistant coaches and four staff people (sometimes five, including the special assistants), not counting Lindy Brown.

Shannon Perry was on Goestenkors’ staff for two years; decided to stay at Duke when Gail left; but after two years of McCallie, she quit and is now an assistant at UCLA.

No one ever left Goestenkors’ staff to just be an assistant coach at another school.

In McCallie’s eight seasons, she has had the following assistant coaches leave:
Five African-American female assistant coaches have left in eight years. Only one left for a head coaching position. And one was a former McCallie player at Duke who chose to take a lateral position at a school to which she had zero ties, to get away from McCallie.

And it is not just assistant coaches – McCallie has also had "special assistants" who have left, plus other staff members who left:
Lehman had even worked for McCallie at Michigan State, but left DWB marketing operations to work for Duke football.

Incredibly (and unfortunately), it is not just defections of assistant coaches and staff. Here is the list of transfers/other player defections:
And this list does not include Clair Watkins and Whitney Knight, two players who gave verbal commitments to Duke and Coach McCallie in high school, only to decommit and sign with other schools.

The attendance figures show the increasing dissatisfaction with an inferior product on the court and the unprofessional behavior off of it. McCallie's first season was 2007-2008. This was when Duke was established as a national power and a perennial Final Four contender, having amassed 4 Final Fours, 7 Elite Eights, 5 ACC Tournament Championships, and 10 straight finishes as the #1 or #2 team in the ACC:
  • 2007-08: 6764
  • 2008-09: 6665
  • 2009-10: 4714
  • 2010-11: 5216
  • 2011-12: 5361
  • 2012-13: 4958
  • 2013-14: 4814
  • 2014-15: 4590
Only 2,293 fans showed up for the early round games in the 2015 NCAA Tournament in Cameron. The attendance at Duke was so bad that even The New York Times took notice of how such a mighty program had fallen.

I would not dare speculate as to why players and coaches transfer to other schools or take other jobs. Those things happen all the time for any number of reasons, most of them good. However, the drop in attendance argument will gain little traction. Especially in light of UConn's similarly declining attendance and they have had the best product in WCBB during the same period of time.
  • 2008: 11182
  • 2009: 10994
  • 2010: 10260
  • 2011: 9788
  • 2012: 9168
  • 2013: 8977
  • 2014: 8313
  • 2015: 8216

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I would not dare speculate as to why players and coaches transfer to other schools or take other jobs.
VAUCONNFAN, IMO it is fair to speculate if players and coaches transfers are not moving to better situation or promotions. Samantha Williams for example worked her behind off and was largely responsible for putting the Duke 2010 recruiting class together. The class feature players from CA, NJ, IL, OK and NC. Williams moved on to Louisville 1 year after that class arrived at Duke.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
For me it comes down to a few things:

-- For all the talent she has recruited, her results at Duke have been average, at best.
-- She has a bad attitude in post-game press conferences. Referring to opposing players by number and trashing her own players rubs me the wrong way.
-- Duke is fun to make of.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The coaching fraternity is full of coaches that did very well at mid-majors getting more out of less talent than they were supposed to but struggle when the talent and expectations change - coaching great talent to improve is not the same as taking mediocre talent and improving them. What is interesting is that JPM did make the transfer to the D1 quite well and had success at Michigan, but then has not gotten back to the same heights at Duke while continuing to get (probably improving) the talent she is getting at Duke (vs Michigan.)

I do not hold her post-exit comments about Uconn against her - lots of coaches in the NCAA say similar things after they exit - 'it is Uconn's to lose', 'I don't see anyone beating Tennessee'. or 'Baylor appears unstoppable'. Frese on the other hand was still in the competition and would never say that until after she lost.

As others have noted - it is not just record but record against expectations. Kim for example gets some serious grief for reaching only one FF during the Griner/Sims era - she should have done better. JPM with the talent at Duke should have done better even with injuries.

I do find her press conferences an embarrassment - her numbers not names is cute once, childish ever after - her consistent public humiliation of her players is just mean.

And I do find the record of her assistants leaving very troubling - consistency in staffing for a team is important, and people jumping ship for parallel moves is not a positive signal for the camaraderie that successful coaching staffs and teams exhibit.

The record for players transferring is not that different from other coaches - a team that consistently attracts great talent, will have a higher transfer rate of middling talent based on playing time expectations. Injured players also almost get a 'free transfer' in that their year of NCAA imposed inaction corresponds to their year of rehab which makes it more palatable.

Finally - I think she just does not come off well in public speaking, especially the required press conferences. Other very beloved coaches have the same problem. But the combination of the PR hit, the player transfers, and the coaching transfers to an outsider suggest that she is not just a bad public speaker but perhaps not a pleasant person to work with.

The biggest surprise to me was her contract extension - having been given that, it appears the Duke fans will have her for a few more years. I didn't see the need for the timing of that extension - and it did not appear they were getting a discount against market value to extend the contract at that time.

Reaction Score
My apologies for rely on memory vs google search. More than speculation UCONN & Rutgers were dropped from consideration at the same time by Laney according to her "real" Godmother-Debra Walker.
http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2010/09/laney-no-longer-considering-uconn.html

IMO, it would count as more than speculation if these "facts" were printed in the main part of the newspaper as opposed to a blog. No integrity necessary in a blog.

What is an indisputable fact is that Debra Walker and Yolanda Laney, teammates from Coach Stringer's great Cheyney State teams, are long time good friends. One can take any quote from Ms Walker regarding her goddaughter to the bank. My understanding, though, is that Betnijah Laney has two godmothers without any distinction between the two.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
The Duke offense is very basic inside first and to put a more sophisticated one in that allows
you to compete against the best takes a ton of time. She has a family with two teenagers loves
her golf & tennis and if you throw in her personal and coaching travels it leaves us knocking
on the door for some time. There is always a chance Salvador's could have another 40+game
to get us to the promised land.

The next 2 years will decided if she is a keeper.

Reaction Score
VAUCONNFAN, IMO it is fair to speculate if players and coaches transfers are not moving to better situation or promotions. Samantha Williams for example worked her behind off and was largely responsible for putting the Duke 2010 recruiting class together. The class feature players from CA, NJ, IL, OK and NC. Williams moved on to Louisville 1 year after that class arrived at Duke.

But do we really know if these defections are not to better situations and promotions? More money, more playing time, less demanding academics, a major more accommodating to their academic abilities and their athletic obligations, an opportunity to be closer to home, closer to a significant other, closer to friends, more affordable standard of living, closer to personal and cultural interests, less racial animosity, a quicker more promising opportunity for professional advancement, more appreciation for a job well done, etc...

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
But do we really know if these defections are not to better situations and promotions? More money, more playing time, less demanding academics, a major more accommodating to their academic abilities and their athletic obligations, an opportunity to be closer to home, closer to a significant other, closer to friends, more affordable standard of living, closer to personal and cultural interests, less racial animosity, a quicker more promising opportunity for professional advancement, more appreciation for a job well done, etc...

As far as coaches, think about the top programs - UConn, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Stanford, etc. Name one assistant coach there that left for another assistant coaching gig. McCallie has had four leave in eight years for lateral moves.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For me it comes down to a few things:

-- For all the talent she has recruited, her results at Duke have been average, at best.
-- She has a bad attitude in post-game press conferences. Referring to opposing players by number and trashing her own players rubs me the wrong way.
I certainly agree with the first 2 points. On the third point, if I'm in a snarky mood, well .... :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If we knew:" these defections are for better situations and promotions" we would not be having this much fun speculating.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As far as coaches, think about the top programs - UConn, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Stanford, etc. Name one assistant coach there that left for another assistant coaching gig. McCallie has had four leave in eight years for lateral moves.
One thing that assistants at Uconn speak about is the quality of life of an assistant at Uconn - they are paid very well and treated extremely well. The whole program is run in a first class manner from travel, accommodation, food, and support. And the within the community at large and the smaller university community and the athletics department they are shown great respect.
I do not think this is 'standard' in WCBB and it is a great selling point to recruits and assistant coaches, and a great help in their retention. While you never know what happens off camera, both the ESPN and the SNY programming shows a very collegial attitude amongst the coaching staff that I think would be hard to fake. The fact that assistants have stayed much longer at Uconn than perhaps the norm, including turning down HC jobs or declining interviews also reflects on the 'better conditions' at Uconn.
TN also certainly had that reputation during Pat's tenure. Not sure about other situations.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
My apologies for rely on memory vs google search. More than speculation UCONN & Rutgers were dropped from consideration at the same time by Laney according to her "real" Godmother-Debra Walker.
http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2010/09/laney-no-longer-considering-uconn.html
Attached link says Debra Walker claimed that the writer of that blog misunderstood her, what she said was that Benijah had dropped Rutgers from her allotted visits, not her list of schools.
http://blogs.mycentraljersey.com/ru...ll-in-on-recruitment-of-laney/comment-page-1/

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
upload_2015-6-17_15-24-59.png

Reaction Score
One thing that assistants at Uconn speak about is the quality of life of an assistant at Uconn - they are paid very well and treated extremely well. The whole program is run in a first class manner from travel, accommodation, food, and support. And the within the community at large and the smaller university community and the athletics department they are shown great respect.
I do not think this is 'standard' in WCBB and it is a great selling point to recruits and assistant coaches, and a great help in their retention. While you never know what happens off camera, both the ESPN and the SNY programming shows a very collegial attitude amongst the coaching staff that I think would be hard to fake. The fact that assistants have stayed much longer at Uconn than perhaps the norm, including turning down HC jobs or declining interviews also reflects on the 'better conditions' at Uconn.
TN also certainly had that reputation during Pat's tenure. Not sure about other situations.

All that AND National Championship after National Championship after National Championship...:):):):):):):):):):)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Attached link says Debra Walker claimed that the writer of that blog misunderstood her, what she said was that Benijah had dropped Rutgers from her allotted visits, not her list of schools.
http://blogs.mycentraljersey.com/ru...ll-in-on-recruitment-of-laney/comment-page-1/
Good find. Thanks. So this was both a you misunderstood what I said ( about Rutgers) and a no comment on my previous statement (UCONN dropped for consideration) on the part of Walker then. I did not read this blog but do remember reading the first one and being very surprised.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Duke fans typically judge JPM off Duke vs Uconn games. Every top game outside of Uconn Duke has a legit shot to win, the games we lose, some is on coaching, some is on players, and some on injuries. I'm convinced Duke was going to come back and defeat Notre Dame before Alexis injured herself. I actually enjoy watching Notre Dame vs Duke games. But it's obvious Muffet has JPM number. When Duke has playmaking guards I don't mind her coaching style because she puts playmaking guards in positions to succeed. PS. Good luck getting any different opinions on JPM from Duke fans. 96% of "them" say the same exact thing.
Muffet has JPM's number?? Muffet,by a number of pundits and John A (Courant) have spoken often and Loudly, until last years final 4, about how much Muffet had GENO"S number. And Geno had Steff,KML, and an array of other talent and still lost to ND. Slowing down the game has been a "bad" issue of JPM? Some teams play better in the half court, not every fast team is a UConn Clone.
If Joanne is as bad as depicted herein there has been 7 or 8 years for Duke to hire, Marissa or Shea or 100 other top Women's BB coaches to replace her. She either has something personal on the AD or the Prez of Duke or they see something they like--it's not her contract those things are bought out regularly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom