Jewell Loyd Leaving for WNBA | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Jewell Loyd Leaving for WNBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

Reaction Score
I am really surprised by this, but I guess that we will see this more and more. I am just dreading the day that we see it at UCONN.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't think this is a trend, but Zahui B. is leaving and Piph left early for Europe. There are not many players who are 22 during their junior season or the remaining 8 months of the calendar year. But for foreign players like Nurse (oh no!), Salvadores, et al., it could happen. Kia won't go, because the UConn coaching is the best in the world.
My understanding is that once a kid enters a US college the 22 applies to them, also.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I see Skylar and Jay Z hands in this decision. Wouldn't be surprised to read in the next few days that Jewel has signed with RocNation the same Talent Agency that Skylar is with. If she does, she'll make plenty of money, not Skylar level, but plenty.

What's lost in the conversation, does anyone know of Jewel's family financial situation is? While she won't make millions, making $300,000-400,000 or possibly more a year, is not chump change for most families.

Still I'm shocked at the decision, based on what Jewel and everyone else at ND has said in the last couple of weeks.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I am really surprised by this, but I guess that we will see this more and more. I am just dreading the day that we see it at UCONN.

As I noted in another thread:
Watch out for Tuck
Nothing to do with disloyalty
She'll want to go out with her class
And there's just so much life in her knees.
Completely and reasonable self-interest.
And 4 National Championships is enough for anyone.
Leave a few for the next guy. :)

Reaction Score
Guess she was tired of being a Bride's maid.... Can't blame her, especially considering how it has been two days since the championship game and most people are already saying the title is UCONN's to lose next year....

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
interesting decision. A degree from Notre Dame is worth ALOT.

Also anyone up for a wager if Lachina is back at espn next season?
Why wouldn't she be? She's got a right to her own opinion. Rebecca was saying that Loyd was the POY this season too.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Why wouldn't she be? She's got a right to her own opinion. Rebecca was saying that Loyd was the POY this season too.
Gosh, couldn't towing the company line could it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Loyd leaving ND for the WNBA?! Whatever..

Reaction Score
Just to be totally pedantic...she's 21 right now. Players are eligible if they will turn 22 at any time during the year of that particular draft. Jewell will turn 22 in October ...

That's not being pedantic, it's being lawyerly.

Reaction Score
I think ND will be a contender - probably the class of the ACC again, better than all the SEC teams (including SC again), and make the FF. Muffet has the machine humming, and has a big-time recruiting class coming in - she'll be OK.
"Class of the ACC", that's not saying much. Like being the best of the also-rans. Every other team in the ACC was over-rated this season.

Reaction Score
Wow...major blow to Notre Dame. I really don't see anyone coming within 15 of UCONN next season now that one of the nation's best talents is going pro.

That said, if I'm in Loyd's shoes, I might make the same call. Realistically, Notre Dame will finish as the 2nd best team in the nation for the 4th straight season. She'll have another outstanding year with just 2-3 losses, (2 to Connecticut) and may take home a POY award or two, makes her 4th straight Final Four and loses for a 4th time to Connecticut. On the flip side, at 22, she can play pro basketball this summer, make 50k and extra in endorsements, then make 6 figures overseas at 22 and build a financial foundation that has her set for life. Additionally, she should be a shoe-in for the #1 pick and has a chance to establish herself as the perennial player from this class, and she gets to spend summers in the great city of Seattle. She also gets to play at a higher level, compete with better athletes and improve her game as a basketball player.

I'll also note, after losing a Final Four/Championship game, most players look devastated or visibly upset. Loyd looked extremely calm and composed, almost like she had just played a pick up game or one of insignificant value. It might just be her demeanor, but based on her play and how low key she was after the loss, in hindsight it almost looked like she was just "over it" at that point.

It's her demeanor, and while she is a great player, IMO she is not a leader. The best player is not always the leader of a team. Stewart is UConn's best player and their leader. Diggins filled both roles at ND for a couple of years. However, Kayla McBride was ND's best player last season, but Natalie Achonwa was the team leader. Loyd may have had the role thrust on her, but she never embraced it and I don't think she was ever comfortable in it.

Reaction Score
It's her demeanor, and while she is a great player, IMO she is not a leader. The best player is not always the leader of a team. Stewart is UConn's best player and their leader. Diggins filled both roles at ND for a couple of years. However, Kayla McBride was ND's best player last season, but Natalie Achonwa was the team leader. Loyd may have had the role thrust on her, but she never embraced it and I don't think she was ever comfortable in it.
I think Jefferson became the leader after the Xmas break.

McGraw didn't have a good game plan to get Loyd the open shots she needed to make a difference in the game Monday.

Reaction Score
Wow! Didn't see this coming. Notre dame definitely won't be a contender without her next season. I predict that they'll be the number 2 or three 3 seed in their respected region with Baylor being the 1 seed this time! So the Final Four teams will slightly change next year I think. They'll be UCONN, Baylor, South Carolina, and Tennessee all 1 seeds, but I don't thinks that's possible because Tennessee and SC are in the same conference! These will be the four best time because:
-UCONN: Jefferson, Nurse, Tuck, Stewart, Butler
bench: Collier, Samuelson, Williams, Boykin, Chong, Ekmark

-Baylor: Baylor picks up Alexis Jones, return senior Niya Johnson and Alexis Prince. Nina Davis will be really good; expected to be the Big 12 poy again. And they also have some quality post players coming in Mompremier and Brown.

South Carolina: Cuevas picks up the starting PG, I think. Tiffany Mitchell is a senior, Asia Dozier, Tina Roy, A'ja Wilson, Jatarie White, and Alaina Coates.

Tennessee: Te'a Cooper instantly picks up the starting PG position; you have to see her play in person to know and don't have to see in person to know that she's a much better PG than Massengale. They pick up Diamond Deshields; she's going to lead SEC in scoring. They have Nared, Jasmine Jones, Mercedez Russell, Jannah Tucker, Jordan Reynolds, and Bashaara Graves.

only other team I see making the FF if one of these teams doesn't make it is Maryland with Lexie Brown, Brionna Jones, and Shatori Walker-Kimbrough.

Notre: Allen, Mabrey, Reimer, and Turner; that won't be enough to get em to the final four.

What has happened to Stanford? It's like the only thing they look forward to is upsetting UConn and that won't happen next season

4-peat!!!!

I'm curious why you included the freshman class for UConn, Baylor and Tennessee in your evaluations but did not include ND's highly rated freshman class in their evaluation ? Loyd's loss is huge blow to ND but somehow I don't think there will be 4 teams better than they will be next year, much less eight (3rd seed).
BTW. Both Tennessee and South Carolina were #1 seeds in 2014. There's no prohibition in having 2 #1 seeds from the same conference in the NCAA playoffs.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Perhaps this is a simplistic look, but I'll try anyway. JL could really generate offense, her own shot, for the most part. She may not have had the best tourney this year. And in the final game, the smallest player, our MoJet, hounded her for the whole game, and JL only shot 22%. So, transfer that to WNBA ... if guards are bigger and stronger, how do you get your shot?

And, considering the deadline yesterday, this might be a formality. She has until 5 days before the draft to withdraw (thankfully the draft isn't today!), so we'll within 48 hours if she reconsiders. I hope and pray that this young woman has good advisors and has weighed all the pros and cons. It's not like Okafor at Duke making this decision.

Reaction Score
I think Jefferson became the leader after the Xmas break.

McGraw didn't have a good game plan to get Loyd the open shots she needed to make a difference in the game Monday.

You could be right; I don't see enough UConn games to make that judgement.

Loyd was off the entire tournament, not just Tuesday night. Jefferson was able to shut down Loyd in part by being physical with her. There was a lot of grabbing and holding that occurred. This is not a knock at the reffing, however. It was called that way the entire game on both ends and it was consistent. That's all both teams could ask for. At that point, it is up to the players to adjust. Loyd couldn't/didn't. Quite frankly, a tighter whistle probably favors UConn due to their having better quality on the bench if the starters had gotten into foul trouble.

And while Loyd was shut down, ND had open looks from other players and missed them. Reimer had several from the foul line area, shots that she has been making pretty consistently since January. They weren't dropping. That along with way too many unforced turnovers in the first half was the difference.

Reaction Score
You could be right; I don't see enough UConn games to make that judgement.

Loyd was off the entire tournament, not just Tuesday night. Jefferson was able to shut down Loyd in part by being physical with her. There was a lot of grabbing and holding that occurred. This is not a knock at the reffing, however. It was called that way the entire game on both ends and it was consistent. That's all both teams could ask for. At that point, it is up to the players to adjust. Loyd couldn't/didn't. Quite frankly, a tighter whistle probably favors UConn due to their having better quality on the bench if the starters had gotten into foul trouble.

And while Loyd was shut down, ND had open looks from other players and missed them. Reimer had several from the foul line area, shots that she has been making pretty consistently since January. They weren't dropping. That along with way too many unforced turnovers in the first half was the difference.
Like I said- Muffet didn't have a good game plan...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Article says she could withdraw and return to school, but had to declare today. Maybe she's just keeping options open.
That's my thinking at this point. We'll see what happens as the Draft gets closer.

Reaction Score
Perhaps this is a simplistic look, but I'll try anyway. JL could really generate offense, her own shot, for the most part. She may not have had the best tourney this year. And in the final game, the smallest player, our MoJet, hounded her for the whole game, and JL only shot 22%. So, transfer that to WNBA ... if guards are bigger and stronger, how do you get your shot?

And, considering the deadline yesterday, this might be a formality. She has until 5 days before the draft to withdraw (thankfully the draft isn't today!), so we'll within 48 hours if she reconsiders. I hope and pray that this young woman has good advisors and has weighed all the pros and cons. It's not like Okafor at Duke making this decision.
You understate how great a player MoJett is and has been all season. She's been AWESOME all year! Words aren't adequate...

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
You understate how great a player MoJett is and has been all season. She's been AWESOME all year! Words aren't adequate...

Didn't come out the way I wanted ... if MoJett could do that to her for a whole game, which was phenomenal, then will it be easier for pro players to guard her?

Reaction Score
She had an interesting quote the courant piece they did about Notre Dame having high hopes for next year:
Loyd called the loss motivating.
"This team understands how hard it is to get here and how much they want it now, so they'll probably be in the gym even more," she said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom