Jewell Loyd Leaving for WNBA | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jewell Loyd Leaving for WNBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Wow, I'm really disappointed to hear about Jewel l turning pro. ND will definitely fall back a bit.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Will Turner be the top player now at ND?
Almost certainly, though Allen will be very good and at least one of the frosh may be excellent. Brianna needs more versatile offense, but she has NPOY potential. Her athleticism and size are outstanding.

Reaction Score
I don't think this is a trend, but Zahui B. is leaving and Piph left early for Europe. There are not many players who are 22 during their junior season or the remaining 8 months of the calendar year. But for foreign players like Nurse (oh no!), Salvadores, et al., it could happen. Kia won't go, because the UConn coaching is the best in the world.

Given the capricious nature of playing women's basketball (injury-wise), Kia would be crazy to stay in school and pass up a lucrative overseas contract. UConn's coaching is great, but the goal of the program is to mold a team and win a college championship. That has little relevance to a young woman who has a very short period of time to turn her basketball skills into a big payday. The same can be said for Morgan Tuck, who has a much greater chance of injury than Kia. Taking into account the current state of the women's game, it seems a lock that both of these players will leave after their junior years. It also seems certain that the most talented European players will elect to play professionally in Europe instead of attending college in the U.S., particularly since a career in the WNBA has such little financial reward. This is a new era; the women's game is catching up in lots of ways.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Well, I'm stunned. Obviously, I took McGraw and Masters at their word when they said she was staying. But also...check out this tweet...

I assumed that she was laughing at the rumors with that hashtag. I guess she's an adult now. As a fan of Jewell Loyd, I'm happy for her if this is what she wants.

As fan of ND, I'm disappointed because I thought senior-year Loyd plus second-year Turner could have been something special. I guess there will be plenty of PT for Ogunbowale, Patberg, and Marina Mabrey now. Especially if Cable doesn't come back.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
WOW! Didn't see this coming!

Jaw_drop_nostalgia_critic_by_comptech224-d37dtv9.jpg

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
When asked during the Oklahoma City Elite Eight about the possibility of Loyd leaving, McGraw told ESPN, "[Loyd] did come in and say, 'You know, I know I'm allowed to leave now, but I just want to let you know that I'm not.' So we did have that conversation, which put my mind at ease. I was happy."

So what happened after this conversation with Muffet? She didn't win any of the prestigious POY awards, she played poorly in the championship game and her team lost (again) to UConn. She's probably not in a good place emotionally. At the same time, I've often thought of Loyd as beyond her years in some ways.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
While I still expect ND to be preseason #1 in the ACC...... the gap has tightened a bit... I know FSU thinks they have a shot at a ACC title now.

As a ACC fan...... sad to have the second straight offseason of star players with eligibility remaining leaving the league. Last year it was Jones and Deshields.. now Loyd. They brought excitement to the arena...... oohs and aahs from fans in the stands.......

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Almost certainly, though Allen will be very good and at least one of the frosh may be excellent. Brianna needs more versatile offense, but she has NPOY potential. Her athleticism and size are outstanding.
I agree I think Turner can be a superstar. I thought that the top NPOY players next year. Would be Stewart, Lloyd, and DeShields. Now Lloyd is out of that. Perhaps Turner can step in there next year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When asked during the Oklahoma City Elite Eight about the possibility of Loyd leaving, McGraw told ESPN, "[Loyd] did come in and say, 'You know, I know I'm allowed to leave now, but I just want to let you know that I'm not.' So we did have that conversation, which put my mind at ease. I was happy."

So what happened after this conversation with Muffet? She didn't win any of the prestigious POY awards, she played poorly in the championship game and her team lost (again) to UConn. She's probably not in a good place emotionally. At the same time, I've often thought of Loyd as beyond her years in some ways.
Good question, my friend. I guess that the factors you mention are in play. Or maybe Nike lured her.

Jewell is more a likable player than Skylar and Novosel. She is incredible athletic, though she may be a bit like Angel--taking too many high-degree-of-difficulty shots rather than getting her teammates involved. When she gets squared up from in close or midrange, she is fabulous. When she is falling to the side, her percentage seems to drop substantially. Just because she can take those shots, that doesn't mean that she should.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
You may think that she's more likable than Skylar, but everyone knew who Skylar was before she left college.... most don't know who Jewell is.

Guards are a dime a dozen... I'm not sure she survives the W... but someone who high volume shoots her way into points could make it in Europe.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You may think that she's more likable than Skylar, but everyone knew who Skylar was before she left college.... most don't know who Jewell is.

Guards are a dime a dozen... I'm not sure she survives the W... but someone who high volume shoots her way into points could make it in Europe.
Skylar's facial expressions and demeanor convey a sense of arrogance. Jewell doesn't have that.

I obviously don't know either, but as a casual fan, I find one much more likable than the other.

Guards may be a dime a dozen, but some guy named Jordan was worth a building full of dimes.

HGN

Reaction Score
I am a little surprised by this announcement.....So I will wait to see if she sticks to this decision . Maybe she is just disappointed and emotional right now. Heck, ND just lost the Title game( again) to UConn , a school that recruited and offered her. All players want to win the NC. Now she has seen 3 straight won by Breanna Stewart and UCONN. AND she has seen Stewie walk away with all the individual awards too. So I will wait before I read too much into this announcement..... Could be just emotions playing out.

Reaction Score
I am a little surprised by this announcement.....So I will wait to see if she sticks to this decision . Maybe she is just disappointed and emotional right now. Heck, ND just lost the Title game( again) to UConn , a school that recruited and offered her. All players want to win the NC. Now she has seen 3 straight won by Breanna Stewart and UCONN. AND she has seen Stewie walk away with all the individual awards too. So I will wait before I read too much into this announcement..... Could be just emotions playing out.
The clock has struck 10:00 PM - I think she's done with the NCAA now whether she has second thoughts or not.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wow...major blow to Notre Dame. I really don't see anyone coming within 15 of UCONN next season now that one of the nation's best talents is going pro.

That said, if I'm in Loyd's shoes, I might make the same call. Realistically, Notre Dame will finish as the 2nd best team in the nation for the 4th straight season. She'll have another outstanding year with just 2-3 losses, (2 to Connecticut) and may take home a POY award or two, makes her 4th straight Final Four and loses for a 4th time to Connecticut. On the flip side, at 22, she can play pro basketball this summer, make 50k and extra in endorsements, then make 6 figures overseas at 22 and build a financial foundation that has her set for life. Additionally, she should be a shoe-in for the #1 pick and has a chance to establish herself as the perennial player from this class, and she gets to spend summers in the great city of Seattle. She also gets to play at a higher level, compete with better athletes and improve her game as a basketball player.

I'll also note, after losing a Final Four/Championship game, most players look devastated or visibly upset. Loyd looked extremely calm and composed, almost like she had just played a pick up game or one of insignificant value. It might just be her demeanor, but based on her play and how low key she was after the loss, in hindsight it almost looked like she was just "over it" at that point.

Reaction Score
Im disappointed..... I liked watching her play..... and looked forward to seeing her senior campaign both on tv and in person in Durham and at the ACC Tournament :(
You can still watch her play in the WNBA

Reaction Score
Wow! Didn't see this coming. Notre dame definitely won't be a contender without her next season. I predict that they'll be the number 2 or three 3 seed in their respected region with Baylor being the 1 seed this time! So the Final Four teams will slightly change next year I think. They'll be UCONN, Baylor, South Carolina, and Tennessee all 1 seeds, but I don't thinks that's possible because Tennessee and SC are in the same conference! These will be the four best time because:
-UCONN: Jefferson, Nurse, Tuck, Stewart, Butler
bench: Collier, Samuelson, Williams, Boykin, Chong, Ekmark

-Baylor: Baylor picks up Alexis Jones, return senior Niya Johnson and Alexis Prince. Nina Davis will be really good; expected to be the Big 12 poy again. And they also have some quality post players coming in Mompremier and Brown.

South Carolina: Cuevas picks up the starting PG, I think. Tiffany Mitchell is a senior, Asia Dozier, Tina Roy, A'ja Wilson, Jatarie White, and Alaina Coates.

Tennessee: Te'a Cooper instantly picks up the starting PG position; you have to see her play in person to know and don't have to see in person to know that she's a much better PG than Massengale. They pick up Diamond Deshields; she's going to lead SEC in scoring. They have Nared, Jasmine Jones, Mercedez Russell, Jannah Tucker, Jordan Reynolds, and Bashaara Graves.

only other team I see making the FF if one of these teams doesn't make it is Maryland with Lexie Brown, Brionna Jones, and Shatori Walker-Kimbrough.

Notre: Allen, Mabrey, Reimer, and Turner; that won't be enough to get em to the final four.

What has happened to Stanford? It's like the only thing they look forward to is upsetting UConn and that won't happen next season

4-peat!!!!

Reaction Score
Wow! Didn't see this coming. Notre dame definitely won't be a contender without her next season. I predict that they'll be the number 2 or three 3 seed in their respected region with Baylor being the 1 seed this time! So the Final Four teams will slightly change next year I think. They'll be UCONN, Baylor, South Carolina, and Tennessee all 1 seeds, but I don't thinks that's possible because Tennessee and SC are in the same conference! These will be the four best time because:
I think ND will be a contender - probably the class of the ACC again, better than all the SEC teams (including SC again), and make the FF. Muffet has the machine humming, and has a big-time recruiting class coming in - she'll be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom