Jazz' parents to sue UConn... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jazz' parents to sue UConn...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Whats the price tag of a daughter being able to share lifelong experiences with their father.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The only post that surprise me in this thread is Bizlaw's but I suspect it was editorializing. I think every lawyer on the board could write the complaint for this case. In the end, I think that UConn behaved reasonably but will settle at a nominal fee. Add me who to those who have very little issue with this case being filed.

F

fortebleedsblue

Whats the price tag of a daughter being able to share lifelong experiences with their father.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

Priceless .... That's the point .. This case is putting a price tag on it. People seem think that money is always the answer. It was a tragedy and this lawsuit is all about money.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There is only one possible claim that I can see here and it hinges on the responsibility of the University to keep non-community members off-campus and/or out of campus events that are strictly for community members only. I don't believe that to be the case with this particular event, nor the campus in general. IMO, it's a misstep on the family's part and a minor case of ambulance chasing after the fact for the attorney.

A tragedy is not cause for extorting money from uninvolved parties however deep pocketed they might be. The University and the entire UConn community rallied around the family after Jazz was killed. I have the check stubs and T-shirts to prove it. While I haven't seen a final tally of how much went to the family, I am certain it was a nice foundation for Jazz's daughter. The suit isn't about lost time with her father, because money can never replace that.

Reaction Score
So if someone murders someone in my yard, I am responsible and not the person that committed the murder? If it was about money to raise the child wouldn't the baby's mother sue and not Jaspers parents? Unfortunately it looks like another a case of someone trying to win the lottery through litagation.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Jazz's daughter deserves a better life, I can't blame the family at all.

Yup. I would be happy to see them settle out of court and see her have a comfortable life.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Could you imagine the state of this board if the case goes to trial and Randy Edsall is on the witness stand testifying against UConn!?:eek:

I think I would have to take a vacation from this board that week...that would be ugly!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Unless your a Kardashian since when does it cost $5 million to raise one child? I'm curious your take on this one.
It's a fair point and I don't really have an answer.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'm not advocating cutting a $5mil check. I'm just saying that, in the same situation with a child to take care of, I'd explore all options to take care of that child as well as possible. Courts will obviously decide if there is any merit. And I'd be shocked if, at the end of the day, any sort of settlement barely sniffs $5mil.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'm not naive enough to think there might not be a money grab aspect as well. It's a possibility. But I'm not going to jump to any conclusions.

HuskyBarker

A Tiger is always Hungry!
Reaction Score
Unless your a Kardashian since when does it cost $5 million to raise one child? I'm curious your take on this one.
With the coming Economic Collapse, and high probability of Hyper-Inflation coming they should ask for the settlement monies (should it be awarded) to be paid in Gold because in a few years (or less) the dollar won't be worth the paper it's printed on.

Reaction Score
Basically an admission it was inadequate before no?

No. You can always make anything safer, but the fact that someone wants to do so does not mean that they were negligent in not making it more safe earlier. UConn could guaranty safety on campus by closing the University and not every allowing a human being on what is now the campus. So what?

Reaction Score
Prior to 1989 I settled federal tort claims for an entity of the federal government. If a settlement could not be reached, the case went to trial in district court--no jury, no punitive damages. Whether I settled them or the judge did, results were usually fair and amount of damages reasonable. It was and is the federal equivalent of the state procedure. Usually it's the little details that we're probably not privy to that determine the result. Based on my limited knowledge of what happened and various responsibilities (remember the guard company is being sued also) the state probably would want to settle this in the several hundred thousand dollar range. Just a thought though I personally would deny the claim.

Reaction Score
Look i guarantee you his parents phones are ringing off the hook with lawyers that want a new boat. Each and every one of us will succumb to money period.

Reaction Score
No. You can always make anything safer, but the fact that someone wants to do so does not mean that they were negligent in not making it more safe earlier. UConn could guaranty safety on campus by closing the University and not every allowing a human being on what is now the campus. So what?
Just asking a question...don't get huffy. Found the info I got from guys who interact with the students on a regular basis very interesting. I can remember being at a party at the infamous x lot in the 90's getting pelted by bottles as we treated a severe head laceration.

Reaction Score
Look i guarantee you his parents phones are ringing off the hook with lawyers that want a new boat. Each and every one of us will succumb to money period.

Yes, blame the lawyers. Do you really believe attorney's were calling them? Really? Do you think their current attorney called them?

I love how people blame the lawyers for everything.

Reaction Score
So if someone murders someone in my yard, I am responsible and not the person that committed the murder? If it was about money to raise the child wouldn't the baby's mother sue and not Jaspers parents? Unfortunately it looks like another a case of someone trying to win the lottery through litagation.
That's not comparable at all. Your house is your own private property, and you're not obligated to protect anyone who's there without your permission - the same is not the case for a public, state-run university.

I might be misremembering facts, but I think one of the complaints is that there was only 1 cop monitoring the event. That could be a factor if the judge/courts decide that wasn't sufficient enough security.

Reaction Score
Yes, blame the lawyers. Do you really believe attorney's were calling them? Really? Do you think their current attorney called them?

Certainly probable that an attorney encouraged this action.

It will never go to trial so file a complaint, negotiate a settlement and take what 25% - 35% of the settlement on contingency. Probably a $250k to $500k settlement if I had to guess. So the math would suggest that many a litigator would be motivated to take that on.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Uhhhh... I would say w/ about 60% certainty that they were contacted by an attorney!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
60 percent of the time... it works every time.

Reaction Score
I love this country. But I absolutely hate the mentality of people in this country that are so quick to try to grab a "payday". And , I hate worse the courts complicity in these scenarios.

Losing a son (a child) is tragic and absolutely devastating. This particular situation was made even more despicable by the circumstances - it was so very senseless. However, reading the accounts of what occurred that night, one has to ask the question - how many separate instances were there for #6 to "walk away" from trouble that evening? Walk away, walk away, walk away and say absolutely nothing. Not worth it, too much to lose and that goes without saying even if this had not played out as tragically as it did.

So - at the risk of being grossly insensitive - I'll cite Jim Calhoun on this one: "Not one dime!".

Reaction Score
We'll have to wait and hear the facts, but my gut says the same thing. UConn should only be liable if they were negligent or facilitated the crime. The mere fact that a crime occurred is proof of neither. The next step will be to sue every time someone gets mugged on a public sidewalk or in a public park. We are ultimately responsible for our own safety and well-being - not some government agency. It seems desirable to blame some higher power, preferably one with money, but at the end of the day the one responsible for this heinous act is the guy with the knife, not UConn. If we want a society where our colleges and public buildings are shut off from the public then promote lawsuits like this one. Should every campus building and event have metal detectors? Should cars be searched going in and out? That's not a campus, that's a prison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom