Jazz' parents to sue UConn... | The Boneyard

Jazz' parents to sue UConn...

Status
Not open for further replies.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
For $5M, per Dez.

I don't understand this at all...

Reaction Score
Disappointed because I like to believe in fairy tales, but thats the way of today, I suppose.

Reaction Score
I am surprised it took them so long. They will get an out of court settlement and it will go to Japser's child.

Reaction Score
I am surprised it took them so long. They will get an out of court settlement and it will go to Japser's child.

Ur a optimist. Yes, that SHOULD b the way it goes down, but when it comes to big money everyone will have their hand out looking for the payday! Personally, I think the university should of been proactive w/ this and set up a trust for his child and established a lifelong scholarship as well. If that happened and his family still filed a suit, then we could pass
judgement, but that didn't happen so we are left with this.....

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I feel for his family. I really do. But if he was gunned down or stabbed in the streets of Miami, could they sue the city for not providing proper safety? In tragedy, we saw the sadness of his death and the loss of a son, teammate, friend and eventually a father. We then saw the kindness, generosity and good in the UConn community, the respect from the WVU fans and fans across the nation. And then come the people looking for an handout.

Reaction Score
I didn't know it was coming. I'm trying to even imagine what the University of Connecticut is being accused of doing that will cause it to be liable.

http://www.courant.com/news/politics/hc-lender-column-jasper-howard-0526-20120525,0,1263405.column

"...the lawyer for Howard's estate, said in his original filing with the claims commissioner, in October 2010: "The University of Connecticut failed to provide adequate police officers for the large event and failed to properly supervise, monitor or investigate the security company, [Jo-Ryu]. The entire event was understaffed and undermanned..."

Big hurdle to get past State's Immunity...

Reaction Score
I didn't know it was coming. I'm trying to even imagine what the University of Connecticut is being accused of doing that will cause it to be liable.

Since when did not having a solid case stop anyone from filing big money lawsuits?

I'm not a lawyer, and you would certainly know more than I, but I would imagine the school is being accused of not providing a safe environment.

Reaction Score
This was inevitable and I am surprised it took this long. I have been in higher ed for years and it is understood... when you host an event you are on the hook for anything that happens. When people complain about Spring Weekends or Concerts becoming too restrictive, this is the reason. And it is not a sign of the times, had this occurred 40 years ago it would have ended in a settlement of some sort. I doubt it ever really goes to court.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I don't begrudge them this move. I'm sure its a matter of trying to provide for Jazz's child.
Right, so they're suing the man who is responsible for taking their son's life. Oh wait, they're not because he's broke and in jail, so they're suing the deepest pockets within 100 yards of the incident.

Reaction Score
Come on didn't we give him a scholarship for a free education. It's a very unfortunate event that I am sure could have had a different outcome. If you are telling me this couldn't have been avoided. He couldn't have walked away. I understand there is a world of hurt and we want revenge but this is not going to bring their son back.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I don't think it's surprising at all but I also don't think UConn should be held liable. I'm sure they will end up paying a settlement to avoid press and all that but really I don't think there's much the University could have done to stop something like this from happening.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Right, so they're suing the man who is responsible for taking their son's life. Oh wait, they're not because he's broke and in jail, so they're suing the deepest pockets within 100 yards of the incident.
I don't know that the university was culpable. The courts will decide. But if I had to take care of and provide for this child... yeah, I can totally understand why they would try.

Reaction Score
Criticize the system not the family. Most of us would do the same thing and we would be somewhat naive not to. These schools are no longer just places of higher learning that we should feel sorry for, they are money grubbing cash machines run like most corporations. As mentioned in another thread, the AAU is nothing but a DC lobbying fraternity. Isn't one of Susan Herbst's goals a 1 billion dollar endowment? Nice goal but it speaks to what these schools have become. I hope the family gets 5 million.

BTW Yale is being sued for the Annie Le murder.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't even see how it gets past the claims commissioner.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Jazz's daughter deserves a better life, I can't blame the family at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I can understand why they chose to sue, but if the University decides to defend the case, it will win.

F

fortebleedsblue

I don't begrudge them this move. I'm sure its a matter of trying to provide for Jazz's child.

Unless your a Kardashian since when does it cost $5 million to raise one child? I'm curious your take on this one.

Reaction Score
BTW Yale is being sued for the Annie Le murder.
As employer of Le's murderer/sexual assaulter and operator of Le's research facility (loosely, her place of employment), perhaps a non-governmental entity (Yale) has a tad bit more culpability than may be attributable to a public university that happened to host a social event.

Le family hired NY defense attorney/TV PR hound, Joe Tacapino of Westport
Howard family: UConn alum Joseph Foti '82, Cheshire

Reaction Score
I had the privilege of teaching a class for the Ct Fire Academy on campus last Saturday. I had a long conversation about Spring weekend or lack there of with a long time friend who also happens to be a Capt at the UConn fire department. He told me that the incident with Jazz and the death of the student during spring weekend a few years ago caused who,esale changes on campus. This year spring weekend was quieter rhan a normal weekend on campus. The students were told by Pres Herbst and Dean of Students that they would be expelled from school for the slightest issue. He also told me that security at on campus events for both weekends has been ramped up. Basically an admission it was inadequate before no? My buddy said Pres. Herbst is a breath of fresh air, and is very driven to make UConn a land grant research type institution. The building projects going on up there are pretty amazing. I am not surprised at the suit, just that it took so long.

Reaction Score
V ery hard to sue the state. You have to get permission from the claims commissioner, which for the past 10 plus years has not been easy due to having a Republican appointee. Now we have a Democrat, but still. Then you have to go to court. No jury trial, judge only. The reason for the $5 Mill is that you have to stick a sum certain in the application, unlike in ordinary civil cases, so you might as well aim high. My guess, they maybe settle for $500K. Not a strong case. Good lawyer, tho.

Reaction Score
I'm not a lawyer so maybe one here can answer this for me. Is there the equivalent of the Alford plea in civil litigation? Can the state claim no liability yet out of a charitable spirit offer $300K or so to settle?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'm not a lawyer so maybe one here can answer this for me. Is there the equivalent of the Alford plea in civil litigation? Can the state claim no liability yet out of a charitable spirit offer $300K or so to settle?
Most settlement releases stipulate that there is no admission of wrong-doing or fault. IIRC, the murderer went back to his car to get a knife, so it will be tough making the argument that security at the dance was inadequate. If it happened inside, different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom