Jazz' parents to sue UConn... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jazz' parents to sue UConn...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes, blame the lawyers. Do you really believe attorney's were calling them? Really? Do you think their current attorney called them?

I love how people blame the lawyers for everything.
I believe a Boatload of lawyers called them, unsolicited. Shoot, Ive gotten a speeding ticket and within a couple of days had received 6 letters from law offices offering help me get fight it, unsolicited.. So ya, I think some lawyers called the family after their son was murdered at a state universities function.

I'm not saying the family wouldnt have gotten there themselves, but I'll wager whatever you want that lawyers reached out to the family

Reaction Score
i doubt UConn will have much, if any liability, especially considering the event happened outside. if UConn is found liable i imagine there's insurance to handle this type of thing. I imagine that was part of the lawyer's sales pitch, that they're only collecting money from an insurance company, not the school. it's amazing how easily people's conscience will allow them to fleece money from an insurance company.

Reaction Score
I can understand why they chose to sue, but if the University decides to defend the case, it will win.
And take a chance of harming it's reputation and undoing all the good done post murder. If UCONN can't get a Judge to throw the suit out, there has to be a settlement. This is a "rock-and-hard-place" nightmare.

Reaction Score
I am sure UConn will do whatever serves the best purpose for the school financially. If they can settle for less than what may be a lengthy trial, then that is what they will do as a business decision. If they settle for $1M and the trial would have cost more than that, then they will just pay and get it over with. $1M-$2M to UConn is not worth any bad press or the headaches surrounding a case like this.

On the flip side it could be also be a negative to the Howard family if they went to trial. Odds are that they would have to try and build uncertainty in Jazz's character. As someone mentioned in a prior post they will say he had several chances to walk away and did not. Not sure what/if they can dig up any past issues with him, but these types of trials can get nasty in regards to what is brought up in court. Look at the Sandusky trial as an example, although a very different animal in nature. These plaintiff's that claim they were abused as kids by Sandusky are going to be put through a very tough process with the defense calling out their character, digging up negative personal info not related to the Sandusky abuse and being called gold diggers in a claim that they are only coming forward to file a large civil suit. Point being is that morals can sometimes be thrown out the door when talking about millions of dollars.

Reaction Score
i could be wrong, but i think it's often the insurance company's call on whether to settle.

Reaction Score
I believe a Boatload of lawyers called them, unsolicited. Shoot, Ive gotten a speeding ticket and within a couple of days had received 6 letters from law offices offering help me get fight it, unsolicited.. So ya, I think some lawyers called the family after their son was murdered at a state universities function.

I'm not saying the family wouldnt have gotten there themselves, but I'll wager whatever you want that lawyers reached out to the family

What state did you receive letters from attorneys regarding a speeding ticket? I am assuming not CT. An attorney has no way of knowing who received a speeding ticket.

And I would venture to guess that no lawyer reached out to the family. It is another perception of attorneys that is unwarranted, IMO.

Reaction Score
i doubt UConn will have much, if any liability, especially considering the event happened outside. if UConn is found liable i imagine there's insurance to handle this type of thing. I imagine that was part of the lawyer's sales pitch, that they're only collecting money from an insurance company, not the school. it's amazing how easily people's conscience will allow them to fleece money from an insurance company.

The incident still happened on school property, the fact that it was outside would have little impact on the suit.

Reaction Score
The incident still happened on school property, the fact that it was outside would have little impact on the suit.

i think any judge or jury would agree it's unreasonable to be expected to keep an entire campus on permanent lock down and free of weapons, whereas if it happened in a building a metal detector could have been preventative. i think it makes a big difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom