Jamal Murray (Committed to Kentucky) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jamal Murray (Committed to Kentucky)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
He won't be as good as he would've been in 2016, so there's that. He just wants to be in the league, understandable choice.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Those 3 top-15 recruits must really have been turned off by the platoon system.
someone posted this on a thread on a different site their assumed lineup... im going to put our assumed lineup next to theirs...

Ulis - Gibbs

Briscoe - Purvis

Murray - Hamilton

Poythress - Miller

Skal - Brimah

C

Chief00

As Coach Calhoun has said at least a couple times. Calipari is a very good BS guy. Don't underestimate his ability in that area. Coaching under pressure is another matter; quite frankly.

C

Chief00

I don't want to get too X and O's - but Calhoun was doing the UK vs KU game early last season and said the platooning would not work at tournament time , which was a gutsy call since UK using platooning was beating KU by about 30 points. Of course, Calhoun proved to be correct.

Reaction Score
I don't want to get too X and O's - but Calhoun was doing the UK vs KU game early last season and said the platooning would not work at tournament time , which was a gutsy call since UK using platooning was beating KU by about 30 points. Of course, Calhoun proved to be correct.

This is a little technical for must of us to understand. You might want to dumb it down next time. It's a bit unfair to expect us to have your expertise with x's and o's.

Also, just as an aside, plenty of people recognized the "platoon" thing as just more nonsense from Cal as soon as he announced it.

C

Chief00

This is a little technical for must of us to understand. You might want to dumb it down next time. It's a bit unfair to expect us to have your expertise with x's and o's.

Also, just as an aside, plenty of people recognized the "platoon" thing as just more nonsense from Cal as soon as he announced it.

Actually, the other analysts doing that game kept repeating how well the platooning was working. Calipari even had a term for it that he was trying to sell like snake oil.
As I said previously UConn needs all kinds of fans - there should be no litmus test - casual fans are very welcome! I have always taken that view.

Reaction Score
Actually, the other analysts doing that game kept repeating how well the platooning was working. Calipari even had a term for it that he was trying to sell like snake oil.
As I said previously UConn needs all kinds of fans - there should be no litmus test - casual fans are very welcome! I have always taken that view.
Of course it was working well, they were undefeated. But I'm pretty sure anyone with a clue realized not having 8 solid guys with really good chemistry would screw them over when they faced a team with 8 solid guys with really good chemistry.

C

Chief00

1. Of course it was working well, they were undefeated. But I'm pretty sure anyone with a clue realized not having 8 solid guys with really good chemistry would screw them over when they faced a team with 8 solid guys with really good chemistry.

Quite frankly, the anyone with a clue came fairly close to being wrong - as I recall UK went pretty far last season. Let's give Coach Calhoun his due for making that call early on.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, the anyone with a clue came fairly close to being wrong - as I recall UK went pretty far last season. Let's give Coach Calhoun his due for making that call early on

Quite frankly, given that they abandoned the platoon by the time they were losing in the tournament, let's not.

Very big of you to welcome casual fans who do not "know stuff" by virtue of watching the Celtics. Much appreciated.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, given that they abandoned the platoon by the time they were losing in the tournament, let's not.

Very big of you to welcome casual fans who do not "know stuff" by virtue of watching the Celtics. Much appreciated.

That's was Calhoun's point - it would not successfully last the season. He was right. And yes if you studied Red Auerbach you would learn something about psychology and the game..most of Calhouns core principles are consistent with Red's.

Reaction Score
Of course it was working well, they were undefeated. But I'm pretty sure anyone with a clue realized not having 8 solid guys with really good chemistry would screw them over when they faced a team with 8 solid guys with really good chemistry.

By all accounts Kentucky's chemistry last year was fine. And they really only played 7 and a half guys against Wisconsin, although granted that would've been 8 and a half if Poythress had been healthy. I think Calipari was just petrified early in the year that he would screw it all up by playing the wrong guys so he decided to play them all fairly equally to get a better look. Of course his explanation was classic Calipari, something about how he couldn't look the kids' fathers in the eye and tell them their son wasn't getting a fair shot for the NBA. I guess Dominique Hawkins and Derek Willis' dads don't count.

I think it was a fairly smart thing to do, it's just he was feeding the media obvious BS as to why he was doing it so it's understandable why people were against it.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Crazy fans too.

Reaction Score
Who cares about last year's Kentucky team. All I know is that this year's team is grossly overrated.

Reaction Score
djct1999 said:
Who cares about last year's Kentucky team. All I know is that this year's team is grossly overrated.

It's June. Seems a bit early for this.

Reaction Score
A genuine national title contender is grossly overrated? I know most of the BY hates Calipari and believes he is the worst coach of all time, and while I'll say he certainly isn't the best when it comes to X's and O's, he has been successful at UK. Next years team could certainly win it all. Their backcourt of Ulis, Briscoe and Murray is the one of the best, if not the best, in the nation. X-factor is Poythress. He is the veteran leader of this young team. If he stays healthy I will not be surprised to see them in Houston with us.

Reaction Score
A genuine national title contender is grossly overrated? I know most of the BY hates Calipari and believes he is the worst coach of all time, and while I'll say he certainly isn't the best when it comes to X's and O's, he has been successful at UK. Next years team could certainly win it all. Their backcourt of Ulis, Briscoe and Murray is the one of the best, if not the best, in the nation. X-factor is Poythress. He is the veteran leader of this young team. If he stays healthy I will not be surprised to see them in Houston with us.

I think if Samir "Big Boz" Sehic (underrated) can provide the needed front court depth at Vanderbilt to go along with potential lottery pick Damion Jones ...Vandy very easily could be the best team in the SEC. Dores have lethal snipers at every corner looking to fire from long range and HIT.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think if Samir "Big Boz" Sehic (underrated) can provide the needed front court depth at Vanderbilt to go along with potential lottery pick Damion Jones ...Vandy very easily could be the best team in the SEC. Dores have lethal snipers at every corner looking to fire from long range and HIT.
Absolutely no chance Vandy wins the SEC.

Reaction Score
Problem with UK right now is that, unless I'm missing someone, they only have 3 bigs: Willis, Lee, and Skal. Poythress can play down, but they need to find another tall kid.

Reaction Score
Problem with UK right now is that, unless I'm missing someone, they only have 3 bigs: Willis, Lee, and Skal. Poythress can play down, but they need to find another tall kid.
Think they have a 2016 PF who will supposedly join them in December.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom