Jacobs - UConn Teams Need A Better Home In Hartford | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Jacobs - UConn Teams Need A Better Home In Hartford

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why do you say this?

Because it cuts them off from the majority of the state. It cuts them off from the business community. It gives thousands of people no reason to donate to the athletic department.

Gampel is tough for anyone with a job who lives west or south of Hartford. You can completely write off Fairfield County - it's 4+ hours round trip on a weekday from anywhere west of Bridgeport.

The whole schedule at gampel would be $1,000 for a pair of seats - and with an AAC schedule good luck selling that when there might be 4-5 games a year that have any demand.

The atmosphere is better at Gampel but unless you live near campus literally every other thing is better in Hartford. Access, parking, concessions, options before and after the game, beer and wine.

Sports attendance is dropping for a number of reasons. The last thing you want to do is give people reasons not to attend. Moving to Gampel full time gives a lot of people reasons not to attend.

Reaction Score
If there was to be a new XL built and UConn remained as a key tenant, what are the chances that UConn would do something to improve the game time environment - more student seating with better locations and more frequent and cheap or free transportation between Storrs and Hartford?

Reaction Score
I think people need to stop beating the "all games at Gampel" drum because it's not going to happen. We have a unique program that caters to our unique fan base and games in central CT are vital. So as much as it hurts 90% of you to say it i think we should get behind the revitalization of Hartford especially a new arena because the basketball games aren't going anywhere.

Reaction Score
Jerry1714 said:
Good, we get rid of games in Hartford and play in a better conference, where do I sign up?

The A-10? I know the AAC blows chunks, but seeing UConn playing NYC road games in Rose Hill Gymnasium instead of MSG would be the point where I realize the dream of big time sports is over.

Reaction Score
I love that UConn has a 10k seat arena in the middle of its campus that has a tremendous atmosphere and provides a true home game advantage and from a basketball perspective in undoubtedly the best place to play and win games, but are forced to be a political tool and play half their games 30 minutes from campus or the program will fold.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Because it cuts them off from the majority of the state. It cuts them off from the business community. It gives thousands of people no reason to donate to the athletic department.

Sweet Jesus, when did Storrs move behind the Iron Curtain? It's 25 miles!!!!!! I say this as someone who lives in Western CT- since I'm going to attend as many games as I can, I would rather make the longer drive for the FAR better experience than the shorter drive that is more convenient for myself but worse for the students/atmosphere.

If it gives "thousands of people no reason to donate to the athletic department", then those aren't the people whose opinions I respect enough to beg for their money. I know its simplistic and not how the world works especially with life in the American, but it's how I feel.

TL/DR: those people need to grow the duck_k up and get over themselves.

Tomorrow, a fellow alum and I have a great day planned of attending both the MBB and MIH games and I'd be lying if a small part of me isn't really sad that NEITHER is occurring on campus. Who are we? Are we a university? Or Hartford's bitch?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If there was to be a new XL built and UConn remained as a key tenant, what are the chances that UConn would do something to improve the game time environment - more student seating with better locations and more frequent and cheap or free transportation between Storrs and Hartford?

I would love it but it will be all about the money They will go for luxury boxes and corporate seats,

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sweet Jesus, when did Storrs move behind the Iron Curtain? It's 25 miles!!!!!! I say this as someone who lives in Western CT- since I'm going to attend as many games as I can, I would rather make the longer drive for the FAR better experience than the shorter drive that is more convenient for myself but worse for the students/atmosphere.

If it gives "thousands of people no reason to donate to the athletic department", then those aren't the people whose opinions I respect enough to beg for their money. I know its simplistic and not how the world works especially with life in the American, but it's how I feel.

Tomorrow, a fellow alum and I have a great day planned of attending both the MBB and MIH games and I'd be lying if a small part of me isn't really sad that NEITHER is occurring on campus. Who are we? Are we a university? Or Hartford's bitch?

It's got nothing to do with being Hartford's bitch.

It's got everything to do with being pragmatic.

Maybe the one who needs to get over themself is you? That your personal preference doesn't matter to them?

I know it doesn't fit into some people's worldview - but UConn is selling a product. There are some people that are only going to buy that product in Hartford. If you don't want to respect the opinion of those people it's fine. Thankfully the university hasn't made that mistake.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Tomorrow, a fellow alum and I have a great day planned of attending both the MBB and MIH games and I'd be lying if a small part of me isn't really sad that NEITHER is occurring on campus.

A small part of you is a "little bit sad." That is so sweet. Maybe you guys could talk it out during the ride.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Whaler has some whacked out views, but in this case he is 100% correct. A new (or heavily refurbished) Civic Center does not happen without UConn.

It's quite romantic to say a university's sports programs belong to the students, but the State's flagship university belongs to the State. Without a major league franchise within 100 miles, the state is going to leverage its assets.

Consider also that a new building would have a different atmosphere than the current set up a be a desirable destination rather than detestable.

And retrofitting Rentschler? Please, just stop.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's quite romantic to say a university's sports programs belong to the students, but the State's flagship university belongs to the State.

Let's clarify something. College sports is for alumni, not students. It's always been so.

Reaction Score
Not a bad idea but I am not sure that the foundation/footings are strong enough to support the weight of a dome. They would likely have to build new if they went this route.

It would cost an ungodly sum of money to dome the Rent, if it's even possible. They would have to start anew and that is not going to happen.

Reaction Score
Let's clarify something. College sports is for alumni, not students. It's always been so.

That's a bit much. I don't hate Duke as much as I used to so use them as an example. Their home court seating caters big time to the students & as far as I can tell the alumni embrace that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Based on how things work at the XL Center I'm starting to wonder if zero attendance isn't a goal.

I'd love to understand the logic of why women can't bring bags to the game.

Jam up the entries and then send them back to their cars if they don't fit into a tiny box.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thanks, Alex!

That's the end I'm on, so I'll have to check it out.

even Two Roads (like at Webster Arena) would be great, especially their Lil' Heaven Session IPA, which is pretty much the perfect beer for the occasion, being lower in ABV.
Happy to report that Two Roads Lil' Heaven Session IPA is on tap at the sports bar. And it is tasty.

With that, and Facey flashing in the middle repeatedly today, I'm beginning to think someone is listening to me.

Reaction Score
8893 said:
Happy to report that Two Roads Lil' Heaven Session IPA is on tap at the sports bar. And it is tasty. With that, and Facey flashing in the middle repeatedly today, I'm beginning to think someone is listening to me.

I saw a Bud sign saying $6 domestic drafts. I ordered a Two Roads and it was $9. I told the bartender that Two Roads is a domestic and he shrugged his shoulders and said "I know, right?", but he refused to honor the $6 price. I am never going to the XL again.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I saw a Bud sign saying $6 domestic drafts. I ordered a Two Roads and it was $9. I told the bartender that Two Roads is a domestic and he shrugged his shoulders and said "I know, right?", but he refused to honor the $6 price. I am never going to the XL again.
I saw the same sign and expected to pay $9 nonetheless; I think it said "premium" or something like that. In any event, I knew what they meant by "domestic," and I knew Two Roads wasn't it. I was happy to be able to buy it and even tipped a buck. Pretty sure that was a pint, and $9 at a concert or sporting event is a probably even low by today's standards.

Reaction Score
I saw the same sign and expected to pay $9 nonetheless; I think it said "premium" or something like that. In any event, I knew what they meant by "domestic," and I knew Two Roads wasn't it. I was happy to be able to buy it and even tipped a buck. Pretty sure that was a pint, and $9 at a concert or sporting event is a probably even low by today's standards.

I haven't seen any $6 beers of any kind at the XL in a decade or more...There was really a $6 drafts sign??? Then again, it IS Bud. ;)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Pretty sure that was a pint, and $9 at a concert or sporting event is a probably even low by today's standards.

The worst is Yankee Stadium. $9.75. They could charge $9 and vendor gets to keep the single. Or even $9.50, but they have to go full greed.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I haven't seen any $6 beers of any kind at the XL in a decade or more...There was really a $6 drafts sign??? Then again, it IS Bud. ;)

Wolf Pack on Friday. $2.00 domestics until the 2nd period.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I only glanced at it, but I think it said $6 domestic, $9 premium.

Reaction Score
8893 said:

Are you just f'in with me or did you think my post was serious?

Reaction Score

Yeah, its only 25 miles, but look at them... highway to a single lane road to a congested campus with lousy parking and traffic flow. Do it right, put the dome on Rentschler. ;^)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom