Jacobs - UConn Teams Need A Better Home In Hartford | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Jacobs - UConn Teams Need A Better Home In Hartford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We don't know that they aren't willing to drive to storrs for a first class on campus arena that seats 15,000.

Sure we do. You know how many times I've seen a game of any type in Storrs since coming to CT in 1977? Exactly 4. On average, a game every decade. You want to bet on there being thousands of fans in Fairfield County more involved in the program than me> What would you like to bet?

And you think that amenities matters? Don't you understand that a third of the state can watch college hoops at MSG more easily than they can at Storrs?

Reaction Score
They're building a new hockey arena on campus. Football attendance has been a disaster, so I'm not sure why we would want basketball to emulate that model.
Football attendance is down due to the team's performance, and attendance would be worse in Storrs. Basketball needs to be in Hartford and Bridgeport as well as Storrs. There are no college basketball teams that draw consistently well that are not located in a metropolitan area.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The reason attendance has declined is pricing policy. I had a friend who had to give up his season tickets when he was priced out. It broke his heart..

That's BS. The pricing has been pretty steady for years. Yeah it went up this year, but not to a new high, It just matches from a few years back.

Reaction Score
The Bridgeport games are a travesty. You can't have a college sporting event without a student section.
So you make it a point to have a student section available in Bridgeport... That's the home court of the Fairfield Stags... They have a section I'm sure.. Why can't that can't be used for UCONN when we play there? Not making sense bro... We gotta EMBRACE all of CT... Enough of one 1/2 being New England and other 1/2 associated with NYC... but we all pay the same taxes that keep our main state school running... We Gotta work that out... it shoulda gotten done a while ago now..

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
That's BS. The pricing has been pretty steady for years. Yeah it went up this year, but not to a new high, It just matches from a few years back.
Talking early 90's.

Reaction Score
So you make it a point to have a student section available in Bridgeport... That's the home court of the Fairfield Stags... They have a section I'm sure.. Why can't that can't be used for UCONN when we play there? Not making sense bro... We gotta EMBRACE all of CT... Enough of one 1/2 being New England and other 1/2 associated with NYC... but we all pay the same taxes that keep our main state school running... We Gotta work that out... it shoulda gotten done a while ago now..

There hasn't been a student section at either Bridgeport game. I find this offensive. I still think it's stupid to force the amateur athletes to have to go so far off of the campus at which they're students to placate the farthest part of the state, but the way UConn has done it has been absurd.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There hasn't been a student section at either Bridgeport game. I find this offensive. I still think it's stupid to force the amateur athletes to have to go so far off of the campus at which they're students to placate the farthest part of the state, but the way UConn has done it has been absurd.
Games off campus during breaks are a good compromise in my opinion.
Football attendance is down due to the team's performance, and attendance would be worse in Storrs. Basketball needs to be in Hartford and Bridgeport as well as Storrs. There are no college basketball teams that draw consistently well that are not located in a metropolitan area.
Mmm, I think just the opposite. East Harford is more accessible so you'll draw there more casual fans when the team is doing well. Students will attend games even in down years when the stadium is within walking distance. Like a lot of people on this board, I went to ton losing football games weekly. The football team lost and the soccer team won, that was the fall.

Reaction Score
I haven't lived in CT for about 20 years so I don't know exactly how the economy is doing in Hartford and CT.

Is the economy in CT and in Hartford so bad that they have to try to squeeze every little penny from a college basketball team by scheduling the games in XL? IMO, the government should be trying to bring business into Hartford and in CT in general and leave the college games alone so it's more accessible for the students.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
True Zen,
But they will want commitments before they build a new arena regardless of Hartford's economy. Not sure how much anyone but the XL, its vendors and the parking garages benefit from the games. There is not a lot to attract people to the area. From what I see, no shopping, limited casual dining.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The student seating doesn't play a role, far as I know.

zls44

Reaction Score
businesslawyer said:
Sure we do. You know how many times I've seen a game of any type in Storrs since coming to CT in 1977? Exactly 4. On average, a game every decade.

You say that like its a badge of honor. It's actually embarrassing for someone who claims to be so committed. Stomping your feet if they dare make your commute longer. How dare they not cater to you and think of the primary mission instead! The nerve!

Shackleton's Expedition has NOTHING on Fairfield County to Storrs! It's like walking the Trans-Canadian Highway! The endurance required!!!

You've lived in state for almost 40 years and only been to four games on campus. Yeah, I feel incredibly confident there are people who are more committed to the program than you in Newburgh, yet alone Fairfield County. No matter how big your checks may be.

Reaction Score
Has any consideration been given of adding ten thousand seats to Rent and a dome. Play football, hockey and BB in there.
While not a bad thought in theory, you'd have to develop a small town around the stadium in order to draw people in four a two hour basketball game in the middle of winter. Also, if that game was against Tulane, Tulsa or ECU....you'd struggle to get 10k people, let alone 20 or 30k

zls44

Reaction Score
UC990411 said:
While not a bad thought in theory, you'd have to develop a small town around the stadium in order to draw people in four a two hour basketball game in the middle of winter. Also, if that game was against Tulane, Tulsa or ECU....you'd struggle to get 10k people, let alone 20 or 30k

Plus the whole $100 million bit.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
What will it cost to fix/replace Gample and build the hockey stadium? It is not that crazy. Haven't been there but I hear great stuff about QU.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Has any consideration been given of adding ten thousand seats to Rent and a dome. Play football, hockey and BB in there.

Not a bad idea but I am not sure that the foundation/footings are strong enough to support the weight of a dome. They would likely have to build new if they went this route.

Reaction Score
Being from Fairfield County I can speak for many people down here. I have XL season tix and try to get to a campus game each year(luckily Florida last year). Convenience and restaurants play a role. Weekend games are best. This includes those in Bridgeport. Went to men's and women's games last year as they were on the weekend. Neither this year( work days). Where ever future games are played I will attend as many as possible but from here Storrs is the least convenient. I'm the father of a grad so I have been to campus numerous times.

Reaction Score
Not sure exactly what the demand is in Hartford but there are other uses besides UConn basketball that would draw more than 8,000-10,000 people. Just looking at the XL Center calendar I see lots of concerts, Disney on Ice, WWE, Monster Jam (how many people in CT go to this?), Harlem Globetrotters, obviously the AAC Tournament (which you can't count on every year), Marvel: Universe Live (?), and P&G Gymnastics Championships. Other uses could be UFC, circus, etc. So I think a Hartford arena would draw more than 10,000 people more than 10 times a year. Are there enough dates to make it worth putting more seats in? I can't answer that question.

Very good question and I do not know the answer. I've been to several of the above noted events, including: Monster Jam, Globetrotters, Disney on Ice, and the Circus (thanks kids) mostly at IZOD in Jersey and they seem to draw between 6K and 8K depending on the event, day, and time. I would imagine that the big music tours would draw over 10K; but, I do not know how many of those are left and if they still hit Hartford.

What I really do not want is for Hartford to eventually build a new arena in the 16K to 20K range that is too big for it's own market and basically forces UConn to continue to play there when that may not be the best course of action for UConn sports.

Reaction Score
the disaster really has been only the past handful of years, it started out very strong. Speaking of that, they really should have domed The Rent, it would have made all this XL stuff moot.

The proposed Hartford 'Patriots' stadium that would have been build where the convention center is today would of had a dome.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Instead of playing #16 Georgetown or #10 Syracuse, we're playing 3-8 East Carolina and Houston. Casual fans could care less about going and rather just watch it on TV.

Reaction Score
That's rediculous. An 8-10k seat arena? This is a venue that serves the whole Hartford/Springfield market. What would an 8k seat arena do for the region? AHL hockey? That's about it. There are 3 small arenas within reasonable distance and the extra seats in the middle of our market (30th largest in the US) actually would put the venue shoulders above the competition. Also I don't care that you "know the NHL isn't coming back" but the good thing about that is what you think doesn't matter.
Also Buffalo is a much smaller market than Hartford/Spring/NewHaven

For AHL purposes, Hartford and Springfield are two separate markets with the MassMutual Center holding 7,300 for hoops and 6,900 for hockey with the Springfield Falcons and a NBA D-league calling that place home. Also have to remember that the Mullins Center (9,500 basketball, 8,400 hockey) is not that far away either.

Reaction Score
For AHL purposes, Hartford and Springfield are two separate markets with the MassMutual Center holding 7,300 for hoops and 6,900 for hockey with the Springfield Falcons and a NBA D-league calling that place home. Also have to remember that the Mullins Center (9,500 basketball, 8,400 hockey) is not that far away either.

That proves my point. Why add another 8-10k seat arena in the mix? A 17k seat arena puts itself above those and can compete for conference tourneys, ncaa regionals, frozen fours, big time conventions etc. This isn't about the AHL clearly nobody cares about that or they wouldnt be attracting crowds less than 2k. I know a new arena scares the Gampel only crowd but UConns never leaving Hartford, might as well have a new full size building.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Stopping basketball games in Hartford is suicide for the program.

Other than that - great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak