Jacobs tweets on KML | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jacobs tweets on KML

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If she has the kind of injury where the earliest she could come back is 3-4 months, do you redshirt her, or hope she comes back in time to make meaningful contributions in March/April?
You don't need to make the call until the game she returns, and she doesn't need to make the red-shirt call until she decides if she wants another year if she were to miss the rest of this year. But I am very hopeful this is at worst a January type timetable.

Reaction Score
You don't need to make the call until the game she returns, and she doesn't need to make the red-shirt call until she decides if she wants another year if she were to miss the rest of this year. But I am very hopeful this is at worst a January type timetable.

Yes and no. First of all, a doctor has to certify that she has a season-ending injury. Hypothetically, if she is fine in late February, then she does not qualify for a hardship waiver (often incorrectly referred to as a redshirt). Doctors at colleges will sometimes stretch the truth a bit, but most will not tell an outright lie - particularly since they are required to furnish MRI's and other medical documentation to support their position.

Also, if she qualifies for a "redshirt" year, as you say she would not have to make the decision now. However she would have to make the decision early enough to allow UConn to provide all of the medical evidence and get a hardship waiver approved. In obvious cases, getting approval is usually a fairly quick process - but if it is a grey area, then it might not be so quick.

Reaction Score
I landed on a palm (thrown from a bike) as a teen and ended up with multiple fractures in the wrist.

Reaction Score
I don't think we need to cut each other slack on rudeness. I like this list, but one of the reasons I end up not reading and hardly ever posting is the types of responses people feel free to post. It's one thing to ask for clarity--yes, by all means, most who follow this team have both enthusiasm and passion and want clarity. It's another thing to write a dismissive comment after another person's post. Why not say something like "I don't see the connection" rather than "who cares."

For me last night, at the game, far out-shadowing Kaleena's injury was a medical crisis that happened one row in front of me. An older man collapsed and stopped breathing just as the game began. EMS was not able to revive him before they carried him out on a board. It was painful to watch . . . to see the woman with him (maybe his daughter?) in such distress. I pray that he survived.

Reaction Score
Bad as it was hurting I was thinking dislocation. Heartbreaking for KML or any of the players to be injured. Praying for a quick and complete recovery.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A tweet from Andraya Carter @DrayaNichole: Everyone do me a favor and say a prayer for one of my bestfriends Kaleena Lewis who went down tonight. Friendship goes beyond the court..
Thanks for posting - we 'fans' often forget how many friendships exists across the lines of bitter rivalries and it is always nice to get reminders.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yes and no. First of all, a doctor has to certify that she has a season-ending injury. Hypothetically, if she is fine in late February, then she does not qualify for a hardship waiver (often incorrectly referred to as a redshirt). Doctors at colleges will sometimes stretch the truth a bit, but most will not tell an outright lie - particularly since they are required to furnish MRI's and other medical documentation to support their position.

Also, if she qualifies for a "redshirt" year, as you say she would not have to make the decision now. However she would have to make the decision early enough to allow UConn to provide all of the medical evidence and get a hardship waiver approved. In obvious cases, getting approval is usually a fairly quick process - but if it is a grey area, then it might not be so quick.
Thanks for the clarifications, though if the injury is bad enough to stretch into Feb/March, I don't think their would be an issue with getting the waver cleared medically.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Surely by now you realize we are U Conn history/trivia buffs and habitual nit pickers!
It wasn't a nitpick I couldn't tell if I was remembering it correctly.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It wasn't a nitpick I couldn't tell if I was remembering it correctly.

A poor effort at humor Ice. No, I believe keeping U Conn history straight is important and a useful function of the Yard.

Reaction Score
In any event let's hope she just has a bad bone bruise and mild sprain. Even a mild fracture wouldn't be all that bad, you can bounce back in 6 weeks.

That would be good news.

Reaction Score
Watching the replay several times when I got home, while she may have injured her wrist, it looked like her elbow was bent in a very unnatural manner. I think the issue will be with her elbow and I just hope the joint wasn't "destroyed".

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
When I was playing sports back at the turn of the 60s and 70s one thing my football coach constantly drove home to us was never land with a straight arm always have some bend in it. KML landed with her arm locked out straight and so instead of muscle absorbing the energy it went through bone and ligaments in directions uncontrollable.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Watching the replay several times when I got home, while she may have injured her wrist, it looked like her elbow was bent in a very unnatural manner. I think the issue will be with her elbow and I just hope the joint wasn't "destroyed".

I'm also worried about the shoulder.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I had a nasty 40-foot leader fall on Symmetry Spire in the Tetons back in July '73
Smashed my left elbow to smithereens; I remember the doc in Jackson Hole said he took out 250 or so pieces.
Was playing my clarinet for therapy in August and performed in a late Sept. concert.
A few months later it was back to normal.

Reaction Score

There's so much leeway in that rule that I have no doubt KML would get the redshirt if it came to that. You can be healed enough medically to play, but if you are still complaining of soreness/tightness as a lingering effect of the injury, or if you are not back in game shape, then the injury is still considered what's holding you back. A shooter's elbow would be easy to claim a hardship for if you wanted one - sorta like a baseball pitcher. Mechanics are off, etc.

Hopefully it won't come to that - I'm sure KML would like to play in the WNBA for a few years and she might prefer not to stick around for a fifth year if she has the option.

Reaction Score
Well, if it does come to that and she agrees, I'd rather have her around two more years than say 1 year and 1 month at less than top condition.

Reaction Score
Well, if it does come to that and she agrees, I'd rather have her around two more years than say 1 year and 1 month at less than top condition.
She should do what she feels is right for her. There is no sense rushing the healing process though. Look what happened to Derek Jeter this year.

Reaction Score
I had a nasty 40-foot leader fall on Symmetry Spire in the Tetons back in July '73
Smashed my left elbow to smithereens; I remember the doc in Jackson Hole said he took out 250 or so pieces.
Was playing my clarinet for therapy in August and performed in a late Sept. concert.
A few months later it was back to normal.
Ouch. That sounds incredibly painful. If you shatter your elbow, how do they fix it? Once it's in little pieces like the 250 you say they removed, what is left? I'm envisioning something like glass where once it's broke you can't go back to the way it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom