It's St Joe's | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It's St Joe's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is not a game that should be lost. We have more talent, have played better competition, and are deeper. We can't let their passing big to hang out and make decisions, we should pressure him relentlessly. Thats on Daniels. Brimah will do brimah things. Joes gives up a ton of offensive boards, could see brimah having a nice impact. or even Olander. Go over all screens.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
I hate them!!!

Should be a good game,also like the Nova match up.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Let's not get ahead of ourselves, remember a couple of years ago when we looked ahead to Kentucky and then Royce White dismantled us
Speaking of Royce White, St. Joe's best player sounds like he has a little of that guy in him.

Reaction Score
I was convinced that we were locked in as a five seed but kept thinking that a six seed (in general, not our case specifically) may be a better fate as it keeps you away from the one seed a bit longer.

If we play well we can make a nice run. If we don't we can get knocked off before the first weekend. St Joe's will be tough, well coached but also limited. It will be entirely on us to bring our A game and not throw away many possessions.
Our defense will be the difference. if this team learns that its not built to outscore people and relies on wearing teams down with defense i think we could be really dangerous especially in close games with a player like bazz.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I believe that at this point our defense (save transition due to turnovers) is as solid as anyone's and will be more consistent than it had been all year. I still have y concerns over our willingness to truly value possessions. If we solve that we will be a very tough out.

Reaction Score
St. Joes gives up 42% FG defense (compared to our 38%). They only shoot FTs at a 64% clip. But they have 5 talented starters and almost no bench. Galloway can go off if left unchecked. They rebound well. Before the A10 Tourney they were on a two game losing streak having been beaten by GW and LaSalle. They just got by Dayton in first round by 3 and thought was if they lost that game they would not have made the Tourney. They are -2.2 in turnover margin - we need to make some hay there to offset the rebounding advantage. Get one or two of their guys in foul trouble and there is an advantage there too.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So I see a lot of respect for St. Joes. I haven't seen them so I thought I'd take a look at the respective stats.

Offensively we look pretty evenly matched with the Hawks owning a slight edge.

Offense
St Joes:
POINTS PER GAME 71.5 158th -.4
REBOUNDS PER GAME 35.8 121st +.4
ASSISTS PER GAME 14.1 76th +1.5

FIELD GOAL PCT .468 53rd +.20
UConn:
POINTS PER GAME 71.9 144th
REBOUNDS PER GAME 35.4 146th
ASSISTS PER GAME 12.6 179th
FIELD GOAL PCT .448 142nd

Defensively, we have an advantage in all but rebounding.

Defense
St. Joes:
POINTS ALLOWED 66.9 92nd +4
REBOUNDS PER GAME 26.1 33rd +1
BLOCKS PER GAME 4.6 67th -1.6
STEALS PER GAME 4.6 331st -2.4

UConn:
POINTS ALLOWED 63.13 2nd
REBOUNDS PER GAME 25.3 75th
BLOCKS PER GAME 6.2 8th
STEALS PER GAME 7.0 80th

The numbers look pretty close until you start factoring opponent strength then UConn looks significantly stronger.

RPI
St. Joes: 38 (.589)

UConn: 23 (.609)

So one needs to take into account the opponents that the Hawks built those numbers. When you do there's a sizable difference.

SOS
St. Joes: 75

UConn: 35

As noted above, I didn't see the Hawks play this season, but looking at the numbers, I'm inclined to believe that haven't been tested the same way UConn has. The American as the heir to the Old Big East has retained some bruising defensive teams and has some the best guards in the country (two of which play for us.) We are tested and ready. I'm not sure that they have any idea of what's about to hit them.

That said we are, of course, doomed.

Last edited:

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I believe that at this point our defense (save transition due to turnovers) is as solid as anyone's and will be more consistent than it had been all year. I still have y concerns over our willingness to truly value possessions. If we solve that we will be a very tough out.

After watching UConn's defense in the AAC tournament, it gives me more confidence that they have figured out that this is the key for UConn winning. Brimah staying on the court is really important, Giffey not helping out too much, Bazz/Boat not going for too many wrap-around steals leaving their man, everyone sticking to their man and not getting lost thru screens.... very good.

The Huskies have a chip on their shoulders. They weren't allowed to play last season for something they were not involved in. KO is a motivator and the guys won't want to let him down, especially Bazz - I don't see him going out without a fight. There is no Louisville in their region, and assuming UConn's defense continues to be played at high level, they will have a shot to win. The tournament favors great guards and it doesn't hurt to have upperclassmen with experience.

Ten toes it, and one game at a time - Let's do it.

Reaction Score
After watching UConn's defense in the AAC tournament, it gives me more confidence that they have figured out that this is the key for UConn winning. Brimah staying on the court is really important, Giffey not helping out too much, Bazz/Boat not going for too many wrap-around steals leaving their man, everyone sticking to their man and not getting lost thru screens.... very good.

The Huskies have a chip on their shoulders. They weren't allowed to play last season for something they were not involved in. KO is a motivator and the guys won't want to let him down, especially Bazz - I don't see him going out without a fight. There is no Louisville in their region, and assuming UConn's defense continues to be played at high level, they will have a shot to win. The tournament favors great guards and it doesn't hurt to have upperclassmen with experience.

Ten toes it, and one game at a time - Let's do it.

Bringing Nolan or Olander on early seems to give Brimah all the time he needs to see the flow of the game. I'd suggest starting one of them, and fouling that 6'8 guy too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom