It Only Took 24 Hours for the NCAA to Hit UCONN With a Violation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It Only Took 24 Hours for the NCAA to Hit UCONN With a Violation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
it's more like, 'don't pay attention to the house burning down over here, look at the additional violations being committed by uconn, AGAIN'!!!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I am sorry that I offend you. I just don't understand how one can sit back and keep taking it without fighting back.

Nothing on here offends me. This appears to be a secondary violation and a few posters have responded to say that the penalty will be very light...like Geno will have to wash some dishes at his restaurant. Not even worth fighting back.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Our TV 'partner' will get as much mileage out of this as they possibly can.

It gives them convenient cover to dredge up as many negative UConn stories as they can fit in one news item, plus they can flash an obnoxious graphic about it throughout their SC broadcast.

By the way, of all the pics of Mo'nae Davis in UConn gear they could've picked for their online story, they go with the one with her press pass obscuring the logo? That's, um, unfortunate...

Reaction Score
Yeah but if you look at the yahoo story or espn story most people are on Uconn's side saying the NCAA is full of and one persons article said hopefully we can find out who the whistle blower was so uconn can run them over like grass.

Reaction Score
Comical. Soon they will ban all minors from wearing any type of college apparel whatsoever. This joke will have legs for sure.

Reaction Score
It was very smart for Geno to get ahead of the NCAA by airing this out yesterday morning. He lead off by emphasizing he was doing something legally, so now the NCAA looks moronic. If he waited until today, it would have looked a bit more like sour grapes.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The rule being sighted says a PSA - prospective student athlete - starts in the 9th grade. Davis is in the 8th grade. Geno checked with the school's compliance officer and the call was cleared as being legal.

The NCAA, who ever the person is, interpreted the ruling to be a violation because Davis is in a celebrity status - don't have the exact quote. This is pure BS! There is nothing in the rules that I can find that refers to a "celebrity status." So my question is - Who in the NCAA has an agenda against Uconn?

Rumors/ reports are now saying the the complaint came from an AAC school. It will be interesting to see who the complainer is.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think Warde handled it well by making it obvious to anyone that NCAA is wrong here and is acting like a bunch of petty jackasses. While I would probably prefer that Geno hire certain men, who own certain tire irons, to visit both the coach that complained and the NCAA and ensure that such an error never occur again, this is the more upstanding and diplomatic approach. UConn looks like it is run by adults, and the NCAA looks like the irrational hyper sensitive morons that that they are.

Reaction Score
The rule being sighted says a PSA - prospective student athlete - starts in the 9th grade. Davis is in the 8th grade. Geno checked with the school's compliance officer and the call was cleared as being legal.

The NCAA, who ever the person is, interpreted the ruling to be a violation because Davis is in a celebrity status - don't have the exact quote. This is pure BS! There is nothing in the rules that I can find that refers to a "celebrity status." So my question is - Who in the NCAA has an agenda against Uconn?

Rumors/ reports are now saying the the complaint came from an AAC school. It will be interesting to see who the complainer is.
Probably Tulsa...

Reaction Score
Read Jacobs below: he nails it!

School That Tattled On Geno Is As Slimy And Pathetic As NCAA

Jeff Jacobs
2:48 p.m. EDT, September 5, 2014
The pathetic part is the school that complained about Geno Auriemma making a phone call to congratulate Little League pitcher Mo'ne Davis somehow will feel validated by the NCAA decision to slap UConn with a secondary rules violation.
The pathetic part is the NCAA, which can't control its most powerful members from creating a Power Five cartel, which has been riddled by academic scandal and on-campus rapes involving athletes, which is turning into a courtroom punching bag because of its anachronistic sham of amateurism, is complicit by enforcing the tiniest and dumbest of disciplinary interpretations.
While Indianapolis burns, the NCAA is passing out parking tickets to, in this case, a car any fair-minded person would view as legally parked.
Granted, that spiffy national-flag blue UConn convertible is filled with nine national championship trophies, the all-time record of 90 consecutive victories, a current 46-game streak and, with Breanna Stewart at the wheel for the next two seasons, no losses in the forecast.

Granted, ESPN, in effort to satisfy fan demand and its investment in the sport, can't show UConn women's basketball enough. Former UConn All-Americans dominate the Olympics and the WNBA. Despite hitting 60 in March, that rapscallion Auriemma still has really good hair, an even sharper tongue and, dang, if he hasn't become Coach K, too, in leading multiple U.S. Olympic teams. The UConn women are everywhere, even gaining the undying love of a 13-year-old baseball phenomenon from Philadelphia who captured the August fancy of a nation.
Mo'ne had the audacity to say she wanted to be the point guard for UConn one day. She had the audacity to get on the cover of Sports Illustrated. She had the audacity to wear a UConn hoodie around Williamsport and later, after Auriemma's call to her during the Little World Series, she wore that hoodie to WNBA and Los Angeles Dodgers games.
This all adds up to mountains of jealousy. If you were a tiny-minded, ultra-competitive coach at another school, of course, your tiny, ultra-competitive mind would be filled with envy. With all those rings and all that talk, Auriemma turns every opponent green. Yet at a certain point, someone on your staff, someone in your athletic department, someone in your school administration should have stepped forward and insisted that reporting something so innocent, so petty to the NCAA was a very dumb, very silly idea.
A friend of Auriemma's had been contacted by the Philadelphia 76ers. They thought it was a nice touch for Auriemma to call Mo'ne, because she loves hoops so much. The Little League communications office got a hold of Auriemma and, at first, he was going to relay a message to her. The idea was cleared by the UConn compliance office and, hey, from this point I would probably argue nothing should be cleared until those constipated little souls in the NCAA office OK it first. Still, Davis is going into the eighth grade and you are not considered a prospective athlete until the ninth grade. When Auriemma called the Little League offices in Williamsport, Davis happened to be in the room and she was handed the phone.
Auriemma talked to Mo'ne for two minutes. Two minutes! No recruiting. Only words of congratulations and encouragement. Auriemma has never seen her play basketball. He had no idea of her talent level. It was one Philly sportsman to another Philly sportsman. It seems like innocent, pretty cool stuff. Good thing he didn't buy Mo'ne a cheesesteak from Geno's or Pat's or they would have taken all nine national titles away from UConn.
Could you imagine Nick Saban getting fingered by the NCAA for a secondary violation for calling a Little League kid and then Bama fans finding out it was LSU or Auburn who turned in the Tide? The resulting scorn and relentless taunting from Bama fans would be so long, loud, so unyielding that those schools would never risk appearing so hopelessly petty. Could you imagine if Kevin Ollie's staff did it to Coach K at Duke? Good grief, the Cameron Crazies might start a special splinter group, Ollie's Follies, to KO KO. In either case, they'd have to send out emergency calls to Hartford area hospitals because analysts at ESPN in Bristol would be splitting their guts laughing so hard at the nonsense.
I realize a conference, upon complaint by a school, contacts another conference with the complaint. I realize the NCAA then has to do its diligence. The women's basketball committee wants to stop nutty coaches from recruiting seventh graders. That's a good thing. But according to a UConn athletic department source, our [URL='http://bio.tribune.com/JohnAltavilla']John Altavilla
reported the NCAA viewed Davis, despite her age, more significant than a typical "individual athlete" because of her notoriety and previously expressed interest in playing for UConn.
That's so much bunk. Let's follow that one to its logical conclusion. What if some ultra-talented young girl, the next Elena Delle Donne or Candace Parker, is afflicted with a life-threatening disease and tells folks her dream is to recover and one day play for Notre Dame? If Muffet McGraw didn't call that girl up in a heartbeat, Good God, they should fire her. But what would the NCAA rule? Secondary violation?
There remains an element in the women's game that remains so hopelessly petty and consumed by envy that they don't care how misguided they appear. Can't say this is the case in the Davis ordeal, but we will say the sport had better create a better atmosphere between male and female coaches. Anybody close to the women's game knows what we're talking about here. At its root is who gets the jobs and who gets the accolades. If this doesn't evolve, don't expect a trail of Becky Hammons to follow into the men's game. Polarization will grow, and that will be a shame.
An NCAA secondary violation carries little clout beyond written admonishment and maybe curtailing contact with the athlete involved. At this point, given Davis' dream to run UConn's offense, we probably can agree that even if Auriemma doesn't talk to her for the next four years, if she ever turns out to be good enough, she'll replace that UConn hoodie with an actual UConn uniform.
The fallout, unfortunately, is L'affaire Mo'ne turns women's basketball into a laughing stock. Auriemma is turned into a victim and believe me I thought that was impossible. If any of this somehow reflects badly on Mo'ne, steals some of her Little League joy or sets her down the path of souring on the cesspool of big-time sports, let's hope the complaining school wears that crown proudly.
Altavilla cited sources that no AAC or ACC schools – read Duke, Notre Dame, Louisville – filed the complaint. You don't need a moral compass to direct you to the two or three most likely remaining candidates. You also don't need a trip to the archives to know Tennessee petitioned the Southeastern Conference in 2006 to investigate UConn for as many as 11 NCAA rules violations. Setting up a tour of ESPN for then-recruit Maya Moore, a tour available to the public, was the only secondary violation that stuck and UConn self-reported it.
The complaining school doesn't care the NCAA has become little more than an organization that sustains itself on chasing "gettable" violations, the extent of their enforcement staff and diminished authority to control the Power Five cartel. The complaining school, sadly, also doesn't see that its self-righteousness is thinly veiled jealously that the rest of a sporting nation is mocking.
The NCAA found UConn in violation of Bylaw 13.1.3.1. We would submit the NCAA is in violation of common sense, and the anonymous school hiding under that rock is one green, envious, lizard.
Copyright © 2014, The Hartford Courant
hc-jacobs-column-geno-auriemma-mone-davis-0906-20140905

[/URL]

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm sure the Emmert mobilized the UConn Rapid Response team. . .

"Drop everything. . . there's been an egregious crime committed" — M. Emmert
512x.jpg

I saw the Bat Signal, uh NCAA signal, and I go here right away. What nefarious crime has UConn committed now?
Congratulating 13 year baseball players? I'm on it! To the Bat poles, uh, the NCAA poles..

Reaction Score
512x.jpg

I saw the Bat Signal, uh NCAA signal, and I go here right away. What nefarious crime has UConn committed now?
Congratulating 13 year baseball players? I'm on it! To the Bat poles, uh, the NCAA poles..
Endure, Master Emmert. Take it. They'll hate you for it, but that's the point of NCAAman, he can be the outcast. He can make the choice that no one else can make, the right choice.

Reaction Score
Read Jacobs below: he nails it!

School That Tattled On Geno Is As Slimy And Pathetic As NCAA

Jeff Jacobs
2:48 p.m. EDT, September 5, 2014
The pathetic part is the school that complained about Geno Auriemma making a phone call to congratulate Little League pitcher Mo'ne Davis somehow will feel validated by the NCAA decision to slap UConn with a secondary rules violation.
The pathetic part is the NCAA, which can't control its most powerful members from creating a Power Five cartel, which has been riddled by academic scandal and on-campus rapes involving athletes, which is turning into a courtroom punching bag because of its anachronistic sham of amateurism, is complicit by enforcing the tiniest and dumbest of disciplinary interpretations.
While Indianapolis burns, the NCAA is passing out parking tickets to, in this case, a car any fair-minded person would view as legally parked.
Granted, that spiffy national-flag blue UConn convertible is filled with nine national championship trophies, the all-time record of 90 consecutive victories, a current 46-game streak and, with Breanna Stewart at the wheel for the next two seasons, no losses in the forecast.

Granted, ESPN, in effort to satisfy fan demand and its investment in the sport, can't show UConn women's basketball enough. Former UConn All-Americans dominate the Olympics and the WNBA. Despite hitting 60 in March, that rapscallion Auriemma still has really good hair, an even sharper tongue and, dang, if he hasn't become Coach K, too, in leading multiple U.S. Olympic teams. The UConn women are everywhere, even gaining the undying love of a 13-year-old baseball phenomenon from Philadelphia who captured the August fancy of a nation.
Mo'ne had the audacity to say she wanted to be the point guard for UConn one day. She had the audacity to get on the cover of Sports Illustrated. She had the audacity to wear a UConn hoodie around Williamsport and later, after Auriemma's call to her during the Little World Series, she wore that hoodie to WNBA and Los Angeles Dodgers games.
This all adds up to mountains of jealousy. If you were a tiny-minded, ultra-competitive coach at another school, of course, your tiny, ultra-competitive mind would be filled with envy. With all those rings and all that talk, Auriemma turns every opponent green. Yet at a certain point, someone on your staff, someone in your athletic department, someone in your school administration should have stepped forward and insisted that reporting something so innocent, so petty to the NCAA was a very dumb, very silly idea.
A friend of Auriemma's had been contacted by the Philadelphia 76ers. They thought it was a nice touch for Auriemma to call Mo'ne, because she loves hoops so much. The Little League communications office got a hold of Auriemma and, at first, he was going to relay a message to her. The idea was cleared by the UConn compliance office and, hey, from this point I would probably argue nothing should be cleared until those constipated little souls in the NCAA office OK it first. Still, Davis is going into the eighth grade and you are not considered a prospective athlete until the ninth grade. When Auriemma called the Little League offices in Williamsport, Davis happened to be in the room and she was handed the phone.
Auriemma talked to Mo'ne for two minutes. Two minutes! No recruiting. Only words of congratulations and encouragement. Auriemma has never seen her play basketball. He had no idea of her talent level. It was one Philly sportsman to another Philly sportsman. It seems like innocent, pretty cool stuff. Good thing he didn't buy Mo'ne a cheesesteak from Geno's or Pat's or they would have taken all nine national titles away from UConn.
Could you imagine Nick Saban getting fingered by the NCAA for a secondary violation for calling a Little League kid and then Bama fans finding out it was LSU or Auburn who turned in the Tide? The resulting scorn and relentless taunting from Bama fans would be so long, loud, so unyielding that those schools would never risk appearing so hopelessly petty. Could you imagine if Kevin Ollie's staff did it to Coach K at Duke? Good grief, the Cameron Crazies might start a special splinter group, Ollie's Follies, to KO KO. In either case, they'd have to send out emergency calls to Hartford area hospitals because analysts at ESPN in Bristol would be splitting their guts laughing so hard at the nonsense.
I realize a conference, upon complaint by a school, contacts another conference with the complaint. I realize the NCAA then has to do its diligence. The women's basketball committee wants to stop nutty coaches from recruiting seventh graders. That's a good thing. But according to a UConn athletic department source, our
John Altavilla reported the NCAA viewed Davis, despite her age, more significant than a typical "individual athlete" because of her notoriety and previously expressed interest in playing for UConn.
That's so much bunk. Let's follow that one to its logical conclusion. What if some ultra-talented young girl, the next Elena Delle Donne or Candace Parker, is afflicted with a life-threatening disease and tells folks her dream is to recover and one day play for Notre Dame? If Muffet McGraw didn't call that girl up in a heartbeat, Good God, they should fire her. But what would the NCAA rule? Secondary violation?
There remains an element in the women's game that remains so hopelessly petty and consumed by envy that they don't care how misguided they appear. Can't say this is the case in the Davis ordeal, but we will say the sport had better create a better atmosphere between male and female coaches. Anybody close to the women's game knows what we're talking about here. At its root is who gets the jobs and who gets the accolades. If this doesn't evolve, don't expect a trail of Becky Hammons to follow into the men's game. Polarization will grow, and that will be a shame.
An NCAA secondary violation carries little clout beyond written admonishment and maybe curtailing contact with the athlete involved. At this point, given Davis' dream to run UConn's offense, we probably can agree that even if Auriemma doesn't talk to her for the next four years, if she ever turns out to be good enough, she'll replace that UConn hoodie with an actual UConn uniform.
The fallout, unfortunately, is L'affaire Mo'ne turns women's basketball into a laughing stock. Auriemma is turned into a victim and believe me I thought that was impossible. If any of this somehow reflects badly on Mo'ne, steals some of her Little League joy or sets her down the path of souring on the cesspool of big-time sports, let's hope the complaining school wears that crown proudly.
Altavilla cited sources that no
AAC or ACC schools – read Duke, Notre Dame, Louisville – filed the complaint. You don't need a moral compass to direct you to the two or three most likely remaining candidates. You also don't need a trip to the archives to know Tennessee petitioned the Southeastern Conference in 2006 to investigate UConn for as many as 11 NCAA rules violations. Setting up a tour of ESPN for then-recruit Maya Moore, a tour available to the public, was the only secondary violation that stuck and UConn self-reported it.
The complaining school doesn't care the NCAA has become little more than an organization that sustains itself on chasing "gettable" violations, the extent of their enforcement staff and diminished authority to control the Power Five cartel. The complaining school, sadly, also doesn't see that its self-righteousness is thinly veiled jealously that the rest of a sporting nation is mocking.
The NCAA found UConn in violation of Bylaw 13.1.3.1. We would submit the NCAA is in violation of common sense, and the anonymous school hiding under that rock is one green, envious, lizard.
Copyright © 2014,
The Hartford Courant
hc-jacobs-column-geno-auriemma-mone-davis-0906-20140905

Excellent article. After reading it, it got me thinking that perhaps UConn was too fast in admitting the violation. When there is a potential violation, a school has the right and privelege of doing a complete investigation. In this case, it should have included confronted the accuser, to find out for themselves what information the accuser had, and which slimy rock they crawled under from to find it out. All I could say is, if somehow, someone from Maryland did this, I would be embarrassed to no end.

Reaction Score
UConn and Geno already have reaped lots more sympathetic support for his innocent outreach to a terrific young Little Leaguer.
To those millions around the country who don't know every chapter and verse of the NCAA rule book, this penalty looks like the most petty and unfair punishment for a generous and heartwarming call to a young player from her idol.
To those who do know the NCAA rule book, it's the school that reported it that appears to be the slimeball. And you know the media will find out who it was and then more scorn will come. I can't wait to hear the rationale of that institution.

CL82

Reaction Score
UConn and Geno already have reaped lots more sympathetic support for his innocent outreach to a terrific young Little Leaguer.
To those millions around the country who don't know every chapter and verse of the NCAA rule book, this penalty looks like the most petty and unfair punishment for a generous and heartwarming call to a young player from her idol.
To those who do know the NCAA rule book, it's the school that reported it that appears to be the slimeball. And you know the media will find out who it was and then more scorn will come. I can't wait to hear the rationale of that institution.
...and to those who do know the rule book, excluding the NCAA who ought to know the rule book but apparently do not.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This one really irks me. I don't follow WBB as much as other UCONN fans so I don't know if this kind of snitching is commonplace as Jacobs wrote (I assume that it is). I know football coaches have snitched on Urban Meyer, James Franklin, Lane Kiffin, etc in the past but there's usually a name/school attached to whoever reported the complaint. But even so, this kid is 12 or 13 years old. Who knows what she will want to do with her life when she turns 17/18. Will she even want to play basketball? Geno is calling to congratulate her on her baseball accomplishments, not sell her on UCONN's engineering program. It was a 2 minute phone call to an excited kid that is no different than her being on talk shows and throwing out the first pitch at Dodger games. She should be celebrated but leave it up to the NCAA to, once again, get this wrong and focus on the wrong thing. Granted, the penalty doesn't seem like it be all that stiff but the premise remains: F the NCAA. Don't they have multiple schools with fake classes on the books to investigate???

Reaction Score
The saddest thing about this debacle, is that Mo'ne Davis is sad. Way to go Emmert - trying to justify his and his god-forsaken organization's existence by using a 13 yr old girl as a prop. Emmert shows the world that even an empty suit can be harmful.

Reaction Score
512x.jpg

Thought I'd share Emmert's most current photo - sporting a new derby no less!

upload_2014-9-8_15-30-1.jpeg

Reaction Score
Excellent article. After reading it, it got me thinking that perhaps UConn was too fast in admitting the violation. When there is a potential violation, a school has the right and privelege of doing a complete investigation. In this case, it should have included confronted the accuser, to find out for themselves what information the accuser had, and which slimy rock they crawled under from to find it out. All I could say is, if somehow, someone from Maryland did this, I would be embarrassed to no end.
I'm giving odds it's was Tennessee. Anyone else would be a shock.

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm giving odds it's was Tennessee. Anyone else would be a shock.
Well given that their prior complaint included an allegation that a recruit was handed a Wendy's french fry by Diana Taurasi and a print out of pages from the Boneyard, they certainly seem like a prime suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom