It Only Took 24 Hours for the NCAA to Hit UCONN With a Violation | The Boneyard

It Only Took 24 Hours for the NCAA to Hit UCONN With a Violation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's ok. They'll need to find a P5 whipping boy in a few years

Reaction Score
UConn atheltic director Warde Manuel was not pleased with the interpretation.

"Over the last 24 hours, the University of Connecticut, theAmerican Athletic Conference and the NCAA have been working together to determine whether a violation occurred when head women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma spoke with Mo'ne Davis over the phone during the 2014 Little League World Series," UConn athletic director Warde Manuel said in a statement. "The NCAA has determined a secondary rules violation of bylaw 13.1.3.1 did occur and while UConn accepts this decision, we do not agree with it.

"Prior to attempting to reach Davis, Coach Auriemma checked with the UConn compliance department and was advised such a call would be permissible since Davis is not considered a prospective student-athlete by the NCAA and the call was to be congratulatory rather than recruiting in nature.

"While UConn will continue to adhere to the NCAA and conference rules, I believe that upon request from a friend to Geno, a proud Philadelphian, to call a young lady representing the City of Brotherly Love who had accomplished historic feats in the Little League World Series, should not constitute a violation especially due to the fact that NCAA rules do not classify Mo'ne as a prospective student-athlete.

"The nature of Coach Auriemma's two-minute conversation with Mo'ne had nothing to do with recruiting and instead had everything to do with congratulating and encouraging Mo'ne to continued success.

"I consider this matter closed and we will have no further comment."

Multiple sources told The Courant Thursday that neither the Atlantic Coast Conference nor the American Athletic Conference were responsible for the complaint made against Auriemma for his call to Davis.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...emma-mone-davis-0905-20140904,0,4244312.story

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
"Multiple sources told The Courant Thursday that neither the Atlantic Coast Conference nor the American Athletic Conference were responsible for the complaint made against Auriemma for his call to Davis."

I don't follow women's ball that well--is this an interesting statement? Not the AAC, not the ACC--so the Pac? The SEC? Geno's got rivals all over.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Tennessee again?

Also - how can I edit the title of this thread (damn smartphone won't acknowledge NCAA)

Reaction Score
Auriemma said that during the call he told Davis he was impressed by the way she was handling the pressure of the Little League World Series and to make sure people were treating her like a baseball player and "not like, oh, look at this girl playing baseball."

He was incredulous that someone would file a complaint.

"It shows you what is wrong not only for things that go on but also with some of the people that I coach against," he said.

Auriemma also said he has never seen Davis play basketball and doesn't know if she is "a superstar or can even reach the basket."

"There's guys playing college basketball driving around in cars that cost more than my house and we're worried about a phone call that I made?" he said.

Copyright 2014 by The Associated Press

Reaction Score
So Warde doesn't agree with it. What is he going to do about it? Bend over and take it again? Why accept the decision? Fight! Appeal! Get off your fat and do something for a change.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Does anyone know what the penalty is?

Dooley

Reaction Score
Listening to buddy b and moan.

This thread, like all others, is going to go down a 5-page "Warde sahqs" path, isn't it? Might as well put this on ignore once I hear what the NCAA penalty is and if UCONN can't get out of it by either:

1) calling some graduates from the 1990s
2) offering fake classes to all 12 year old kids.

Reaction Score
This thread, like all others, is going to go down a 5-page "Warde sahqs" path, isn't it? Might as well put this on ignore once I hear what the NCAA penalty is and if UCONN can't get out of it by either:

Minor penalties. Education and letter in file. We can ignore and get back to building the base.

Reaction Score
Since it is only a secondary violation, the penalty will be something like ... Auriemma and the compliance officer will have to "retrained" to not make congratulatory calls. He may also lose recruiting privileges for one day. The violation is clearly silly, but since there really is no penalty here, it is not worth fighting. Because NCAA rules are complex, and sometimes contradictory and downright silly, it is expected that schools will have secondary violations. In fact, it starts looking suspicious when schools don't self-report secondary violations.

Reaction Score
Dooley said:

It depends on the level of secondary violation. Obviously "secondary" isn't specific enough for the NCAA so they break it down by four levels of secondary violations. This is at worst level three with level 1 being the worst. Geno likely won't be able to make calls one day or something. The penalty is supposed to be directly related to the violation.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Minor penalties doesn't sound right. We're UCONN. We're supposed vacate all National Titles or something.

Reaction Score

I am sorry that I offend you. I just don't understand how one can sit back and keep taking it without fighting back.

Reaction Score
So Warde doesn't agree with it. What is he going to do about it? Bend over and take it again? Why accept the decision? Fight! Appeal! Get off your fat a and do something for a change.
images.jpeg

Reaction Score
This is one of those situations that's right in the NCAA's wheelhouse. They can say they enforced their rules and delivered a punishment, even though it wasn't much of a rules violation or punishment. Ask them to do something decisive in a UNC or Auburn/Cam Newton situation and they can't do it.

I'm more interested to know who the whistleblower was.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This is because the NCAA is run by a bunch of corrupt pimps, who lack even the smallest shred of decency or class, and who wouldn't know the definitions of the words "student-athlete" or "integrity" even if Charles Merriam and Noah Webster got out of their graves and taught it to Mark Emmert and the other no-talent ash-clowns, including that ash-wipe over at the University of Hartford. They can all go straight to hell; don't pass go, and don't collect $200...

Reaction Score
Gotta love our Bristol friends who have propped up on the left of their screen at all times "UCONN Violation?"

Of course if you don't stick around for the story you would assume UConn has cheated in some scandalous manner.

Should I assume it's some Cuse intern who is in charge of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom