Isaiah Briscoe and 2000 other topics. | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Isaiah Briscoe and 2000 other topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That's a great scenerio I hope for . But this brings me back to another thought , if brimah plays well vs okafor he could very well be lotto this year .

If that's the result, please let us know what we can do to avoid bringing you to any future thoughts.

If Brimah wants to attend the lottery next year, he'll have to drive himself there and buy a ticket.

Reaction Score
If that's the result, please let us know what we can do to avoid bringing you to any future thoughts.

If Brimah wants to attend the lottery next year, he'll have to drive himself there and buy a ticket.
Meh you haven't seem him play yet this year . Okafor is the clear cut number 1 pick next year . All I said was depending on his outing vs okafor , he will be on the rise. And the overall point was purvis doing the same , but that not necessarily leading to a deep run . He doesn't need a deep run to become a touted prospect for 2015.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Being that this is the case, if he's jumping early, that means he's had a monster season....and that we've likely made a strong run in March. I'm great with this scenario.
I agree
With Boat, the only way Purvis goes early is with a showcase in the Dance

Reaction Score
Maaaaybe. Cassell could end up being more of a 2 guard than a point, with TSam and Jalen being the pure PGs.

I think Cassell is more of a 2 than a point already. And while I agree Samuel is a PG, no way is JA a pure point. He is essentially the epitome of a combo guard.
I think this is why Briscoe would fit perfect; he matches what Samuel brings as a PG with more scoring. With either one of them on the ball in the half court it would allow JA act as an incredible secondary ball handler as well as letting him create havoc for defenses off the ball. And all of them fly on the break.

The truth is that with the way KO has recruited, retained and developed talent, we just don't have a ton of clear "needs." Even if we whiff on everyone else we're targeting for the 2015 class, we're still pretty much set for the next two years provided there's a good improvement curve from the guys currently on the roster.

Not saying I don't want Briscoe, Stone, Clarke, Jones, whoever... obviously the more the merrier. But we really are playing with house money at this point.

And, I agree. I'm not going to complain regardless of who we get, I love who we have. I just have to assume we're going to add players to fill those scholarships, and I believe Briscoe is the perfect fit in a UCONN backcourt.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
And, I agree. I'm not going to complain regardless of who we get, I love who we have. I just have to assume we're going to add players to fill those scholarships, and I believe Briscoe is the perfect fit in a UCONN backcourt.
I hope we get to see you're proved right.

That said, I wouldn't be against signing a pure shooter - a guy like Rashad was from Day 1, or Niels grew into last season. Stretching the defense is key in the modern game, and one of the two clear worries I have when I look at our roster is that we just don't have sniper. I wouldn't complain - at all - if Ollie went way off the map to get a guy whose only dimension is behind the arc.

Reaction Score
Meh you haven't seem him play yet this year . Okafor is the clear cut number 1 pick next year . All I said was depending on his outing vs okafor , he will be on the rise. And the overall point was purvis doing the same , but that not necessarily leading to a deep run . He doesn't need a deep run to become a touted prospect for 2015.

Geez I saw nothing in Okafor's game which will put him #1 or even lottery next year..........he ha s the size and some gifts but I see a ways to go there!

Reaction Score
Geez I saw nothing in Okafor's game which will put him #1 or even lottery next year.....he ha s the size and some gifts but I see a ways to go there!

Okafor is the type of player that Scouts see and tend to pick apart his game : big, skilled, unathletic(relatively), not a shot blocker. Reminds me of the Jared Sullinger deal, where he comes in and destroys college for 4 months, goes pro, falls to mid-first round as teams fall out of love with workouts, then puts up 10-8 in the league as a backup 5 for like 15 years.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Okafor is the type of player that Scouts see and tend to pick apart his game : big, skilled, unathletic(relatively), not a shot blocker. Reminds me of the Jared Sullinger deal, where he comes in and destroys college for 4 months, goes pro, falls to mid-first round as teams fall out of love with workouts, then puts up 10-8 in the league as a backup 5 for like 15 years.
Difference is Okafor is 6-foot-11 with a 7-foot-5 wingpan and a 9-foot-3 standing reach, while Sullinger is 6-foot-9 with a 7-foot-1 wingspan and an 8-foot-9 standing reach.

(For reference: Drummond is 6-foot-11.75 with a 7-foot-6.25 wingspan and a 9-foot-1.5 standing reach)

Okafor's a stud, and he's going to be better in the NBA - where he'll play with guys who know how to throw an entry pass and coaches who know how to design an offense - than he'll be in college. He does lack the "OMFG" athleticism of Drummond or Howard, but that's true of most mortals.

Regardless, he'll go No. 1 in the draft and whoever takes him will get, at worst, Al Jefferson - a guy who drags his team to the playoffs every single year.

Last edited:

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Incidentally, Briscoe is 6-foot-3.5, but has a (massive for a 2-guard) 6-foot-8.5 wingspan. He'll be able to guard 2s and 3s in college, and should clog the hell out of passing lanes even if he doesn't have elite quickness.

Newman, on the other hand, is 6-foot-4 with a 6-foot-5 wingspan, while Adams is 6-foot-2 with a 6-foot-6.5 (huge for a PG) wingspan.

Of course, we all know that measurables aren't everything: Boat is 5-foot-10 with a 6-foot-0 wingspan, and there's not a better defensive guard in college.

Reaction Score
Difference is Okafor is 6-foot-11 with a 7-foot-5 wingpan and a 9-foot-3 standing reach, while Sullinger is 6-foot-9 with a 7-foot-1 wingspan and an 8-foot-9 standing reach.

(For reference: Drummond is 6-foot-11.75 with a 7-foot-6.25 wingspan and a 9-foot-1.5 standing reach)

Okafor's a stud, and he's going to be better in the NBA - where he'll play with guys who know how to throw an entry pass and coaches who know how to design an offense - than he'll be in college. He does lack the "OMFG" athleticism of Drummond or Howard, but that's true of most mortals.

Regardless, he'll go No. 1 in the draft and whoever takes him will get, at worst, Al Jefferson - a guy who drags his team to the playoffs every single year.

If he goes #1 in the draft it won't be a good draft. Then again I have no idea who else is out there. But just from what I saw there is a better player somewhere.....hell Caulley Stein looks better to me!

Reaction Score

How is Okafor's standing reach higher than Drummond's if Drummond is taller and has a longer wingspan?

Reaction Score
If he goes #1 in the draft it won't be a good draft. Then again I have no idea who else is out there. But just from what I saw there is a better player somewhere.....hell Caulley Stein looks better to me!

Other than being a very good shot blocker what is Cauley-Stein's skillset? Okafor has had a better post game than 75% of the centers in the NBA since he was 15 years old.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
How is Okafor's standing reach higher than Drummond's if Drummond is taller and has a longer wingspan?
Body types are different - neck length, shoulder height, etc etc etc. Look at where Howard's shoulders are relative to his head compared to Drummond's - who's more slope-shouldered.

Scouts (in all sports) take all of this stuff under consideration.

Reaction Score
Other than being a very good shot blocker what is Cauley-Stein's skillset? Okafor has had a better post game than 75% of the centers in the NBA since he was 15 years old.

I'll take the athlete but then again not saying you or anyone is wrong. I'm not saying I know anything because I know I don't but I do know Okafor is only okay as a player from what I saw. If he's #1 next year then the draft is weak simply put.

Reaction Score
Okafor is a million times better than Cauley-Stein. Okafor's post game is very refined, only knock on him is that he's not an explosive athlete which is to be expected at his massive size. Last season I saw Cliff Alexander go up against Zimmerman and Chase Jeter and he schooled them, Okafor played in the following game and looked good but Cliff Alexander was definitely the most impressive big on this night. Alexander was the shortest of the bunch but the most intimidating and played the best.

Reaction Score
I'll take the athlete but then again not saying you or anyone is wrong. I'm not saying I know anything because I know I don't but I do know Okafor is only okay as a player from what I saw. If he's #1 next year then the draft is weak simply put.

it is a weaker draft and I don't necessarily think Okafor is the guaranteed #1 pick(its way too early for that), but I can't name 5 big men with a better back to the basket/low post game than Okafor over the last decade among HS kids. If you're high on Stone, which I believe you are, I don't get how you could be down on Okafor, they're similar talents with Okafor being better imo.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
One thing to remember is that you were watching a 16-year-old who had grown into his body just over the previous 18 months, and was suffering (a bunch) from poor conditioning.

I hate giving Duke any credit at all, but for sure they'll help in that respect, and for sure he'll be more fluid and explosive as an 18-19 year-old who's dropped a bunch of baby fat while gaining muscle.

Reaction Score

He's got the best post game for a high school big in quite a while. He can be very, very good.

Reaction Score

Brimah's one of those guys NBA scouts have stored away in the project department and will re-visit if and when he begins to develop consistent skills. More than likely, he's two years away, but an athletic seven footer making a big leap and playing himself into big money would be far from unprecedented.

Reaction Score
I agree
With Boat, the only way Purvis goes early is with a showcase in the Dance

I just don't think that's accurate. If Purvis comes in, showcases the athleticism everyone already knows he has, shoots the ball well enough to keep defenses honest, and demonstrates that in the last 18 months he's become more than just a run and jump slasher and can actually play some lead guard, he doesn't need a deep run in the tournament.

I'm not saying any or all of those things are going to happen, but it's not like scouts are going to check him out for the first time in March. If he has a legit AAC player of the year type season he'll have the opportunity to bounce, deep tourney run or not.

"Quite frankly," I have no idea how it's going to shake out - I'm going to go out on a limb and say somewhere between "incremental improvement" and "holy **** this kid's a guaranteed lottery pick."

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Seems like a solid list with the two local schools in Seton Hall, St. John's and Rutgers, the nearby national power in UConn and then Kentucky.

How is mizzou on the list though lol?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Seems like a solid list with the two local schools in Seton Hall, St. John's and Rutgers, the nearby national power in UConn and then Kentucky.

How is mizzou on the list though lol?

Three local schools. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom