Isaiah Briscoe and 2000 other topics. | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Isaiah Briscoe and 2000 other topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In my opinion, that article highlights an area of need for UConn - Calipari can send Rohrsson, Boeheim can send Hopkins, Self can send Townsend, etc., etc.

These guys all have assistants who are killer recruiters - Ollie can send Ollie.

We don't have that guy - if you put together a list of the top 30 recruiting assistants, we wouldn't be represented.

Next vacancy has to go to a killer.

Clearly our next vacancy has to go to a "big man coach" - which many on this board define as a "tall guy who used to play for Uconn."

Reaction Score
I agree with you but what is it about guys like Rohrssen and Hopkins that makes them killers, is it just experience and AAU ties? Hopkins has about as much personality as a doorknob and Rohrssen has the look of a slimy used car salesman. I get that Moore and Freeman are young and new to it but I would think kids would have a lot more in common and would make more of a connection with them. Again I agree with you but what is it that makes these guys closers?
It is the head coach who closes the deal. Our current staff is a huge improvement over Moore and Lafleur. Hobbs has a rep of being an outstanding recruiter. Based upon all the ranked players with which we are involved, this staff has been very aggressive and I think works harder. That said, we need to land either Briscoe or Stone to take this from a good to great recruiting year.

Reaction Score
It is the head coach who closes the deal. Our current staff is a huge improvement over Moore and Lafleur. Hobbs has a rep of being an outstanding recruiter. Based upon all the ranked players with which we are involved, this staff has been very aggressive and I think works harder. That said, we need to land either Briscoe or Stone to take this from a good to great recruiting year.

A huge improvement over Tom Moore? We were running out NBA caliber front lines on an annual basis during much of Moore's tenure as the #1 assistant. That guy was a big time recruiter.

Reaction Score
I have to wonder a bit about this dynamic. If there are players/families that fall for the slick sale, is there any difference between these kids and the ones who have a more methodical and reasoned approach? Compare these UK recruitments to Diamond Stone's (I'm not saying Stone wouldn't go to UK if he had an offer). There seems to be a slower approach there.

We also can't forget that UK offers something that other schools can't now, and that's the perception of being instantly ready for the NBA.

I simply wonder if you get a different kind of player who doesn't fall for this stuff. There are coaches out there who promise little in terms of playing time. They tell the kids about how hard they'll work. They practically dissuade kids from coming. It takes a different type of kid to go to a place like that. Usually, it takes a lower ranked kid (we shouldn't fool ourselves) but occasionally a kid like Rudy Gay commits, or even Deandre Daniels.

Reaction Score
I agree that the staff could use a guy like what Tom Moore used to be in the 00s, but lets be real, you can plug in any other generic character with a pinstripe suit and greasy head in replace of Rohrssen and Briscoe's family and coach would still be smitten, the UK machine is selling itself at this point. There really is no shame in going up against UK and taking an L, look at what's happened to Roy Williams over the years, who while still is pulling in very talented recruiting classes, is no longer getting the #1 player at their position like it seemed like he was routinely doing at UNC before Calipari landed at UK.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The funny thing is Barry Rohrssen was in Glengarry Glen Ross for about 15 seconds.

That is awesome; I had absolutely no idea about that piece of trivia. He even has an IMDB page.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Dunno, Moore was pretty good.

And it's one thing to be "involved". It's another thing to consistently close the deal. Fishy's talking about getting a closer.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I have to wonder a bit about this dynamic. If there are players/families that fall for the slick sale, is there any difference between these kids and the ones who have a more methodical and reasoned approach? Compare these UK recruitments to Diamond Stone's (I'm not saying Stone wouldn't go to UK if he had an offer). There seems to be a slower approach there.

I don't know, but given what I've read about Stone, I'm guessing his interest was luke warm RE UK, and it was UK that backed off because of it. Just surmising though.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I agree that the staff could use a guy like what Tom Moore used to be in the 00s, but lets be real, you can plug in any other generic character with a pinstripe suit and greasy head in replace of Rohrssen and Briscoe's family and coach would still be smitten, the UK machine is selling itself at this point. There really is no shame in going up against UK and taking an L, look at what's happened to Roy Williams over the years, who while still is pulling in very talented recruiting classes, is no longer getting the #1 player at their position like it seemed like he was routinely doing at UNC before Calipari landed at UK.

Interesting, I never thought of it that way. You might be right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom