Is KML the best pure.... | The Boneyard

Is KML the best pure....

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
She is one of the best pure shooters, male or female, I have ever seen. Her release is incredibly smooth and quick. She catches the ball and there it goes toward the basket in one fluid motion, a thing of beauty to behold.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She is one of the best pure shooters, male or female, I have ever seen. Her release is incredibly smooth and quick. She catches the ball and there it goes toward the basket in one fluid motion, a thing of beauty to behold.

That is a great description of KML spotting up. What, also, contributes to that is the quality of passes she receives in locations above the rib line so that is all she has to do. With a good pass it is as simple as Catch, Load, Release.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
She's the best player on one of the best teams in the nation. I haven't focused on her solely during games, but you have to imagine the other team treats her as the biggest offensive threat and tries to adjust their defense accordingly. To be shooting 50% or so from the 3 point line for an entire season is phenomenal. So yes, best pure shooter in UCONN history, as blake said, but a long shot.

HGN

Reaction Score
She's getting more and more confident. When she misses , it doesn't bother her as much as it did last year (if body language is an indicator). Or when she gets it blocked. She still keeps shooting with confidence. But as a pure catch and shoot player , she has to be one of the most dangerous players in WCBB.

But Only time will tell.............But so far , I have to give her the nod.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Seems like UConn likes KML's shooting so much they are sending CD back to KML's HS to watch a possible future UConn shooter in KLS at tonites HS game in the OC.

note the game is an away game for MD, not a home game.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Yes, Kaleena is the best "pure shooter" we've ever had and will likely end up with all the records for made 3's and 3pt%.

I'd still give Maya the nod for best deep range and shooting form.

And I'd still give Dee the nod for best clutch shooting.
Can't disagree with any of that. How much does KML want that shot back from 1/5?

Other than maybe Chiney, I'm not sure who competes with her for NPOY honors next season. I guess maybe Sims and EW, but I think those awards are hers to lose in 2014.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yes, Kaleena is the best "pure shooter" we've ever had and will likely end up with all the records for made 3's and 3pt%.

I'd still give Maya the nod for best deep range and shooting form.

And I'd still give Dee the nod for best clutch shooting.
Maya was cited on ESPN during the Chinese championship round as having possibly the best shooting form, male or female. I think her form is distinctive and fabulous. So is her scoop shot.

I saw Mater Dei in person during Kaleena's senior year. One of my thoughts was, "She's no Maya Moore." Maya's physical talents allow her to dominate. But when I watched more closely, I saw a kid with the best set of hands. In the layup line, she was doing 8s and 9s in terms of degree of difficulty with either hand. Every shot went in, and she didn't have to look to be sure. She also was shooting threes in warmups with both hands. Perfect ball rotation with the left hand. Amazing!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Can't disagree with any of that. How much does KML want that shot back from 1/5?

Other than maybe Chiney, I'm not sure who competes with her for NPOY honors next season. I guess maybe Sims and EW, but I think those awards are hers to lose in 2014.
I agree that Kaleena is on a short list. She does not shy away from being great. But I'd like to see her shoot a little more. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
How good is Kaleena? Let's put it this way: If Meighan Simmons, Shoni Schimmel, or Sugar Rogers had her form and results, they would blow by Jackie Stiles in the record book.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Maya was cited on ESPN during the Chinese championship round as having possibly the best shooting form, male or female. I think her form is distinctive and fabulous. So is her scoop shot.
Maya's form is textbook perfect, like everything else about the "Invincible Queen"! :)

Maya's signature scoop shot is as fluid as George Gervin's and as athletic as Dr J's!

I saw Mater Dei in person during Kaleena's senior year. One of my thoughts was, "She's no Maya Moore." Maya's physical talents allow her to dominate. But when I watched more closely, I saw a kid with the best set of hands. In the layup line, she was doing 8s and 9s in terms of degree of difficulty with either hand. Every shot went in, and she didn't have to look to be sure. She also was shooting threes in warmups with both hands. Perfect ball rotation with the left hand. Amazing!
Aside from Kaleena's uber accurate shooting eye, the incredibly tight reverse rotation she puts on the ball at the point of release makes the ball drop like a rock through the net upon contact...she almost never has a shot 'rim out'. It's a thing of beauty to see a lot of her shots kiss the back rim and drop straight down without so much as moving the net...that's all ball rotation. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maya's form is textbook perfect, like everything else about the "Invincible Queen"! :)

Maya's signature scoop shot is as fluid as George Gervin's and as athletic as Dr J's!

Aside from Kaleena's uber accurate shooting eye, the incredibly tight reverse rotation she puts on the ball at the point of release makes the ball drop like a rock through the net upon contact...she almost never has a shot 'rim out'. It's a thing of beauty to see a lot of her shots kiss the back rim and drop straight down without so much as moving the net...that's all ball rotation. :)
That's the famous Lewis Launch. Her Mater Dei teammates tried to replicate it, but to no avail. Maybe they needed Replicant to replicate. :)

Reaction Score

Even when she misses most of the time you swear it should have gone in and
she has developed the belief thst every shot is going in
Geno said at the beginning of the year she should shoot more
and SHE should be shooting more shots than anyone other
than SD We still have her for the rest of this season
and her JR and SR SEASONS WOW
IRA

Reaction Score
I think so too. If Mel were taller, and able to get her shot off more often without working so hard, she might have put up a competition for best pure shooter.

I agree, Maya had the best form. Everything about Maya is textbook.

To me, Taurasi was the best shooter though. And I think there's a difference between best "pure" shooter, and best shooter. She took a lot of unorthodox, difficult, heavily guarded shots..and she made them. Kaleena's shots are mostly on balance and open.

Reaction Score
shooter in UConn history?

Dee...Maya....Mel....Wendy Davis [oft noted by Geno]

Comparing KML's first year and a half to the other contenders, I would say 'yes' and I am not sure that it is close.
I have said this before that she is not only the best pure shooter in college basketball today, she is perhaps the best player in all of women's bb. This includes griner, diggins, della donne. Think about what she does on a basketball court...... Plays defense, bangs under the boards, rebounds, assists, scores underneath, deadly from every range. The other girls are one dimensional (except for della donne). diggins looks scared in big games.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I think there are different kinds of shooters from outside range and that comparing KLM to Dee is apples and oranges. KLM sets and releases, almost always (of course everyshooter does) but her pure Lewis launch, such a thing of beauty, especially the way it kinda lunges through the net, requires her to stop before she pops, longer than Dee would have to, or Sue. Dee could shoot the three on the run, and that is why she was so great in the clutch, or, of course take a stop and pop. But the three on the run is a different kind of shooting and takes tremendous upper body strength, which of course Dee, Maya, and KLM all have. How does Birdie fit in to all this? I was watching tape of Bird at the Buzzer last night, incredible. All so interesting...

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
I have said this before that she is not only the best pure shooter in college basketball today, she is perhaps the best player in all of women's bb. This includes griner, diggins, della donne. Think about what she does on a basketball court...... Plays defense, bangs under the boards, rebounds, assists, scores underneath, deadly from every range. The other girls are one dimensional (except for della donne). diggins looks scared in big games.
Yeah, me four. I think she tends to try to do too much in big games and forgets she has a team that can help her.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
One other thing...KML is also shooting from at least 9 inches further back than any of the previous shooters had to shoot from in their time during college. Prior to her freshman season is when they moved the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom