Is it too eary for the first "who starts" thread of the off-season? | The Boneyard

Is it too eary for the first "who starts" thread of the off-season?

Choose your starting five (5 votes allowed)

• Kaitlin Chen

• Aubrey Griffin

• Paige Bueckers

• Caroline Ducharme

• Azzi Fudd

• KK Arnold

• Ice Brady

• Ayanna Patterson

• Ashlynn Shade

• Morgan Cheli

• Jana El Alfy

• Sarah Strong

• Allie Ziebell

Results are only viewable after voting.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I decided to structure this thread as a poll, because it's actually a tough exercise to pick who should be the starters. This is an immensely talented squad. By limiting people to five choices I force everyone's hand. Let's see what everyone thinks.

Reaction Score
Can't select Azzi or Aubrey (points for correct spelling please) as they will both start the season recovering from injuries. Freshmen won't start. Too risky to pick Caroline because we have no idea where her head is at - pardon the pun. Paige is 100%, Chen > KK, Jana > Ice, and Ashlynn fills the need for a floor spacing shooter > anyone else.

The only real question to me is who plays the PF spot. Sarah > Ice/Ayanna

The frosh + Q will be fighting for playing time barring another rash of injuries.

Reaction Score
I voted for who I think will start in November. After that it's a very different question.
I went with January.

That does add a layer and honestly there is a correct answer (although November is admittedly the better choice, I just couldn't bring myself to not have Azzi Fudd in the starting lineup).

PvP

Reaction Score
Actually there already been much discussion of this in other threads—so I think it's too late!
I actually created such a thread immediately after we lost to Iowa, but that proor to Amari and Ines leaving and was pre-Sarah and before Chen. I was going to start another but we need to know what Reagan's decision will be as it will have such an impact on not only the starting lineup but the whole team.

Reaction Score
The way it looks only Paige is a sure starter..
Because we have too many good players.
If I really need to pick I will pick, Kaitlin, Jana, Azzi and KK.

Reaction Score
I went with January.

That does add a layer and honestly there is a correct answer (although November is admittedly the better choice, I just couldn't bring myself to not have Azzi Fudd in the starting lineup).
I'm right there with you. It's impossible to know much with any confidence about the injured, but the speculation is tantalizing.

The usual pattern -- which very well might not apply in every case -- would have Jana back in November and Azzi back in December but maybe not fully acclimated until January. Similarly, Ayanna and Aubrey could be back by February, maybe sooner. Whenever Caroline comes back, I'll be cheering for her.

What this means is that although there's 14 on the roster as of today, only ten will likely be available in November, eleven in December, maybe twelve in January, and finally all fourteen [?] in February. The silver lining is if they don't rush them back it means more opportunities for the freshmen and sophomores to get a feel for the speed of D1 basketball at the highest level. That could well pay dividends sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
Reagan Beers SHOULD answer any current issues. If she chooses Oklahoma, she would be making a huge mistake. 2 major points: 1. Beers should complete a ff package for Geno. 2. If she wants to be a high W draft pick and be really prepared, she has to choose the Huskies, a no brainer. Seriously, who would think differently? I don't understand why there isn't more fan support for above. Hello!! Please respond.

Reaction Score
Reagan Beers SHOULD answer any current issues. If she chooses Oklahoma, she would be making a huge mistake. 2 major points: 1. Beers should complete a ff package for Geno. 2. If she wants to be a high W draft pick and be really prepared, she has to choose the Huskies, a no brainer. Seriously, who would think differently? I don't understand why there isn't more fan support for above. Hello!! Please respond.
This feels like a swerve. Did you mean to put this in the recruiting speculation thread?

Reaction Score
My picks were Paige, KK, Ashlynn, Jana, and Sara.

KK and Ashlynn were great as freshmen and will undoubtedly be that much better next season. Paige is a no brainer, obviously. If Jana and Sara are as good as advertised then there’s no doubt there either.

Azzi, Aubrey, and CD are great, but haven’t played in a while and I worry about their health and how their injuries might impact their game.

Chen has experience but she hasn’t played at UConn and I am reluctant to say she should start at PG when we have Paige. I want someone who knows the system inside and out to be the floor general. Maybe if Chen plays out of position and her role is more of a scorer then I can see her starting, but I see her as more of a 6 or 7th man off the bench right now.

As for the others … I’m not sure. I think all of them have a case to be 6 or 7th man off the bench, if not starters.

Assuming everyone stays healthy we may be able to field a team like SCar this past season where it was even from top to bottom. Really my biggest concern is seeing a drop off from starters to bench players when rotating during a game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Where's Q????
Season 3 Wall GIF by The Simpsons

Reaction Score
November opening day: Paige KK Ash Ice Jana [they know the system or are the only big, and are healthy]

December: Paige Azzi KK Sara Jana

January: Paige Azzi KK Ice Sara [in case Jana needs some time to work on her defense]

February: Paige Kaitlyn Azzi Sara Jana [the lineup that will carry them to the tournament]

March: Paige Azzi Allie Sara Jana [the lineup that starts in the tournament]

Of course, if all goes well, the starters [other than Paige] won't play much more than 20 mins/g, and so this distinction won't be quite as important as it has been recently. There should be plenty of minutes for KK Kaitlyn Ash Q Morgan Ayanna Ice Caroline and Aubrey.

Reaction Score
I'm right there with you. It's impossible to know much with any confidence about the injured, but the speculation is tantalizing.

The usual pattern -- which very well might not apply in every case -- would have Jana back in November and Azzi back in December but maybe not fully acclimated until January. Similarly, Ayanna and Aubrey could be back by February, maybe sooner. Whenever Caroline comes back, I'll be cheering for her.

What this means is that although there's 14 on the roster as of today, only ten will likely be available in November, eleven in December, maybe twelve in January, and finally all fourteen [?] in February. The silver lining is if they don't rush them back it means more opportunities for the freshmen and sophomores to get a feel for the speed of D1 basketball at the highest level. That could well pay dividends sooner rather than later.
Bone Dog- - -Jana was practicing the last month of the season, although limited but still on the court!
Of all our walking wounded she might have the best shot of being ready Nov.1st!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom