Is it too eary for the first "who starts" thread of the off-season? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is it too eary for the first "who starts" thread of the off-season?

Choose your starting five (5 votes allowed)

• Kaitlin Chen

• Aubrey Griffin

• Paige Bueckers

• Caroline Ducharme

• Azzi Fudd

• KK Arnold

• Ice Brady

• Ayanna Patterson

• Ashlynn Shade

• Morgan Cheli

• Jana El Alfy

• Sarah Strong

• Allie Ziebell

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
My picks were Paige, KK, Ashlynn, Jana, and Sara.

KK and Ashlynn were great as freshmen and will undoubtedly be that much better next season. Paige is a no brainer, obviously. If Jana and Sara are as good as advertised then there’s no doubt there either.

Azzi, Aubrey, and CD are great, but haven’t played in a while and I worry about their health and how their injuries might impact their game.

Chen has experience but she hasn’t played at UConn and I am reluctant to say she should start at PG when we have Paige. I want someone who knows the system inside and out to be the floor general. Maybe if Chen plays out of position and her role is more of a scorer then I can see her starting, but I see her as more of a 6 or 7th man off the bench right now.

As for the others … I’m not sure. I think all of them have a case to be 6 or 7th man off the bench, if not starters.

Assuming everyone stays healthy we may be able to field a team like SCar this past season where it was even from top to bottom. Really my biggest concern is seeing a drop off from starters to bench players when rotating during a game.
Chen played 3 (outstanding) years using the UConn system under Carla. Not a problem.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So the poll currently has this as the starting lineup:

Paige
Jana
Strong
KK
Azzi

Not a bad lineup. I think Shade will be there probably for Strong or for Azzi.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Bone Dog- - -Jana was practicing the last month of the season, although limited but still on the court!
Of all our walking wounded she might have the best shot of being ready Nov.1st!

Brionna Jones of the Sun is expected to be ready for the season opener. That's a recovery time for the Achilles tendon injury of about 11.5 months. That should put Jana at July/early August.

Reaction Score
Brionna Jones of the Sun is expected to be ready for the season opener. That's a recovery time for the Achilles tendon injury of about 11.5 months. That should put Jana at July/early August.
I like the sound of that. I am really looking forward to seeing what Jana can do in husky blue.

My dream 5+2 lineup for March— ignoring all injury caveats — is Paige Azzi Sarah Caroline Jana with Aubrey and Ayanna first off the bench. It’s not necessarily the best lineup, nor the quickest. But it’s the one I’d really like to see. Maybe I just want to see them together for one quarter and then the rest of the roster can run wild over opponents.

And wouldn’t it be cool to see a pure youth 5+2 lineup for one quarter with KK Ash Allie Q Ice, with Kaitlyn and Morgan first off the bench?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
And her teammate Alyssa Thomas recovered in nine months to play all of the 2023 WNBA season, and to play at a very high level, with mucho minutes in most games.

Reaction Score
Chen played 3 (outstanding) years using the UConn system under Carla. Not a problem.
I don’t consider it the same as actually playing at UConn.

Reaction Score
there’s two possible starting lineups:
PG Chen, Azzi, F Paige and Sarah, and C Jana
Or
PG KK, Ash, F Paige and Sarah, C Jana
It depends on whether he wants veteran leadership or not. Personally, I think Chen is more likely at the PG and the two of them switch. KK being so fast gets gassed easily (evident in the NCAA tourney) and this way she has a substitute.

I think the rest are coming off the bench. Aubrey is a player that’s meant to come off the bench as a sudden spark of energy, and Allie and Morgan have competition at their spots: Azzi and Ash, and Q and Caroline. Although I personally believe Allie will come off the bench to space the floor when the defense is tight. Having Allie and Azzi would really help divert teams with suffocating defense away from triple and double teams.

Reaction Score
November opening day: Paige KK Ash Ice Jana [they know the system or are the only big, and are healthy]

December: Paige Azzi KK Sara Jana

January: Paige Azzi KK Ice Sara [in case Jana needs some time to work on her defense]

February: Paige Kaitlyn Azzi Sara Jana [the lineup that will carry them to the tournament]

March: Paige Azzi Allie Sara Jana [the lineup that starts in the tournament]

Of course, if all goes well, the starters [other than Paige] won't play much more than 20 mins/g, and so this distinction won't be quite as important as it has been recently. There should be plenty of minutes for KK Kaitlyn Ash Q Morgan Ayanna Ice Caroline and Aubrey.
Geno is no longer using PB as a point guard. My guess is that the early months will be PB Chen Jana Sara and Azzi to try and get Sarah and Jana used to the system, especially because they’re the most important with our limited frontcourt. Minutes between Allie, Morgan, Q, Caroline and others probably operate like Dawn’s team, switch every 5 minutes or so to avoid exhaustion and avoid injuries.

It can operate like SC did: One starting lineup, but every other switch off is just as talented.
Switch wise:
Chen-> KK
Paige->Ash->Caroline->Q
Azzi->Ash-> Allie
Sarah->Aubrey->Ice->Morgan->Ayanna (if healthy)
Jana-> Ice

Morgan's tough, because she's a PG who is built like a forward. She can play 1-4, so she really could switch for anybody but the SG's because she's not as consistent with her shot. So technically she could switch with Chen; her handles are solid.
Aubrey can also be KK's switch, she brings the same defense and energy that she does. This just means Chen has to be at point, or Paige takes over.
Other things to note is with 3+ sharpshooters, floor spacing is viable as a strategy. Throw any combo of Allie/Azzi/Ash out there with Paige, Jana and Sarah, and the defense must spread out. No more triple teams on Paige. This leaves either a SG, Paige, or the forwards open.

Reaction Score
Geno is no longer using PB as a point guard. My guess is that the early months will be PB Chen Jana Sara and Azzi to try and get Sarah and Jana used to the system, especially because they’re the most important with our limited frontcourt. Minutes between Allie, Morgan, Q, Caroline and others probably operate like Dawn’s team, switch every 5 minutes or so to avoid exhaustion and avoid injuries.

It can operate like SC did: One starting lineup, but every other switch off is just as talented.
Switch wise:
Chen-> KK
Paige->Ash->Caroline->Q
Azzi->Ash-> Allie
Sarah->Aubrey->Ice->Morgan->Ayanna (if healthy)
Jana-> Ice

Morgan's tough, because she's a PG who is built like a forward. She can play 1-4, so she really could switch for anybody but the SG's because she's not as consistent with her shot. So technically she could switch with Chen; her handles are solid.
Aubrey can also be KK's switch, she brings the same defense and energy that she does. This just means Chen has to be at point, or Paige takes over.
Other things to note is with 3+ sharpshooters, floor spacing is viable as a strategy. Throw any combo of Allie/Azzi/Ash out there with Paige, Jana and Sarah, and the defense must spread out. No more triple teams on Paige. This leaves either a SG, Paige, or the forwards open.
You seem to be converting a “who starts?” thread into a “substitution pattern” thread. I love those too, and agree with many of your predictions. I am especially eager to see how Morgan fits into Geno’s schemes.

Reaction Score
You seem to be converting a “who starts?” thread into a “substitution pattern” thread. I love those too, and agree with many of your predictions. I am especially eager to see how Morgan fits into Geno’s schemes.
Whoops. Got off track.

Reaction Score
November-December (Front-Loaded Tougher Out-of-Conference Schedule):
  • Kaitlyn, KK, Paige, Sarah, Jana
  • 5+4+ running game (a la TASSK first year) to start.
  • Half-court offense (2023 offense, Stewie offense but with more mobile bigs) introduced and perfected within period.
January-March (BE season play before the full return of Azzi):
  • Regular: Kaitlyn, KK, Paige, Sarah, Jana
  • Big Lineup: Kaitlyn, Paige, Sarah, Ice, Jana
  • 5+4+
After Azzi’s Full Return:
  • Regular: Kaitlyn, Azzi, Paige, Sarah, Jana
  • Big Lineup: Paige, Azzi, Sarah, Ice, Jana
  • 5+4+
Kaitlyn and KK will have similar minutes with game-by-game variations due to who is performing well in a given game. This is Kaitlyn’s only season with UConn and Geno typically gives his seniors with next-level aspirations the platform to be noticed.

Geno will play different schemes and pace with this roster, with smooth transitions. Smooth transitions was a potential concern with adding Raegan.

Reaction Score
This is Kaitlyn’s only season with UConn and Geno typically gives his seniors with next-level aspirations the platform to be noticed.
It probably is what he actually does. But he claims to prioritize the next cohort over the seniors. I suppose some sort of compromise has to sort itself out in his mind each year.

Reaction Score
It probably is what he actually does. But he claims to prioritize the next cohort over the seniors. I suppose some sort of compromise has to sort itself out in his mind each year.
Crystal didn’t start until her Junior year. Saniyah (Senior) started in Crystal’s first year. Kia (Senior) started in Crystal’s second year.

There have been exceptions to this Senior rule such as Kiah Stokes (same class as KML) and Aubrey Griffin (6th year senior), who are already known commodities in the UConn system that have found their best lane coming off the bench.

Reaction Score
I don't see Azzi, Aubrey, and maybe Caroline ready to play in early season!
They will be wrapped in bubble wrap early like Paige was in June, July, August, September and October giving her the maximum recovery time she needed!
When they do come back they'll be going all out!
NO restrictions!

Reaction Score
I don't see Azzi, Aubrey, and maybe Caroline ready to play in early season!
They will be wrapped in bubble wrap early like Paige was in June, July, August, September and October giving her the maximum recovery time she needed!
When they do come back they'll be going all out!
NO restrictions!
Azzi maybe, she’s had more time to rest than Aubrey. I wouldnt even count on Caroline, given how she couldn’t stay in the stadiums unless she had earplugs in even at the end of the season. I’m guessing she’s a permanent cheerleader, or she gets 5 minutes off the bench when they REALLY need her.

Reaction Score
And her teammate Alyssa Thomas recovered in nine months to play all of the 2023 WNBA season, and to play at a very high level, with mucho minutes in most games.
AT is just built different. I can't even imagine being her teammate complaining about sitting out for an injury and getting that look from AT. Yikes! It better be a serious injury.

Reaction Score
I really can’t wait to see who starts, and just generally to see who plays. It’s the magic of Husky white and blue.

I may be more curious about Jana than any player since Paige arrived. But Sarah and Morgan and Allie should be fascinating coming off the bench, and maybe even starting from time to time.

And I can’t wait to see what Q can do with her game. She hits 3s but there’s so much more she can do. What will she become next season? Glimpses of her finishing breaks in transition were dazzling.

And if Caroline comes back, I’ll be through the roof with joy. Her game is so mesmerizing when she’s on. She always seems to be a little quicker, a little longer, a little stronger than opponents expect… and a whole lot craftier.

So, who’ll start? Paige and a few of her friends. OMG!!!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
November-December (Front-Loaded Tougher Out-of-Conference Schedule):
  • Kaitlyn, KK, Paige, Sarah, Jana
  • 5+4+ running game (a la TASSK first year) to start.
  • Half-court offense (2023 offense, Stewie offense but with more mobile bigs) introduced and perfected within period.
January-March (BE season play before the full return of Azzi):
  • Regular: Kaitlyn, KK, Paige, Sarah, Jana
  • Big Lineup: Kaitlyn, Paige, Sarah, Ice, Jana
  • 5+4+
After Azzi’s Full Return:
  • Regular: Kaitlyn, Azzi, Paige, Sarah, Jana
  • Big Lineup: Paige, Azzi, Sarah, Ice, Jana
  • 5+4+
Kaitlyn and KK will have similar minutes with game-by-game variations due to who is performing well in a given game. This is Kaitlyn’s only season with UConn and Geno typically gives his seniors with next-level aspirations the platform to be noticed.

Geno will play different schemes and pace with this roster, with smooth transitions. Smooth transitions was a potential concern with adding Raegan.
Conspicuously absent from your line ups are Ashlynn and Q.

Reaction Score
Crystal didn’t start until her Junior year. Saniyah (Senior) started in Crystal’s first year. Kia (Senior) started in Crystal’s second year.

There have been exceptions to this Senior rule such as Kiah Stokes (same class as KML) and Aubrey Griffin (6th year senior), who are already known commodities in the UConn system that have found their best lane coming off the bench.
This isn’t accurate. Dangerfield started every game she played in 2017-18 (her sophomore year) and so did Nurse. The starting lineup that season was Dangerfield, Nurse, Samuelson, Williams, Collier.

Reaction Score
This isn’t accurate. Dangerfield started every game she played in 2017-18 (her sophomore year) and so did Nurse. The starting lineup that season was Dangerfield, Nurse, Samuelson, Williams, Collier.
Note to self, verify first impressions from memory:
  • You’re right on 2017-2018. Starters
  • I correctly remembered 2016-2017. Starters
I was going to also cite Moriah. But like Crystal, Moriah also started by her sophomore year ( Starters vs Starters )

Reaction Score
Conspicuously absent from your line ups are Ashlynn and Q.
As it was a starting 5 thread, I didn’t address Ash and Q. I did jot down (5)+4+ as shorthand for rotations that Geno will employ to maximize use of this really talented lineup which rivals that of TASSK’s second year.

Observing Geno throughout the years:
  • he always has an eye for the post-season — why Paige, Sarah and Jana will start.
  • he values a mature starting 5 that will quickly and decisively dictate the tempo of the game and impose its will.
  • he gives a platform to seniors with next-level aspirations.
  • he already had a 3-point guard offense from the past year which he can quickly dust off, considering he has to quickly incorporate 5 talented incomers.
  • he likes to have a quick punch from the bench, and Ash or Q fit that bill once Geno makes a substitution for any of his 3 point guards. Morgan can specifically substitute for Paige as both can play 1-4.
The reasons above are why Kaitlyn will be in the starting five. And why KK and not Ash? With the starting five lineups I listed, all 5 players except possibly Ice in the big lineup, are Creators — players relied in broken play / ticking shot-clock situations and demand constant defensive attention that helps spacing.

The potential for more equitable 5+4+ play will rival or exceed that of the TASSK second year as Geno had players like Paige Sauer or Stacey Hansmeyer, who were not garbage time players, but were not played by Geno as often as the others.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom