Is hoping for Megan Walker to come to UConn a lost cause? and other recruiting news | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Is hoping for Megan Walker to come to UConn a lost cause? and other recruiting news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
As I read all these projections for 2017 and (especially) beyond, I recall that about a year ago more posters visualized Natalie as starter #5 than Lou.

Next up -- Mississippi State. I like our chances. CYA iin B'port.:D

Reaction Score
Think you're giving Reimer way too much credit. She's not around now and they look very dangerous with a young roster.

I agreed with Coco and also agree with you and Coco's last point. But Reimer was a very good player and a seasoned vet. IMO no way was Coco giving Reimer too much credit. Reimer competed very well vs Tuck last year's finals. Give me a seasoned vet with a ton of winning experience in big-game one-and-dones. At least for me, I much prefer potentially having to face ND's young front line at one position rather than a wiley seasoned vet used to winning a ton throughout her career under a super coach. As coco said "Maybe." Just sayin I prefer Reimer not being there. Reimer was a very good player for ND. IMO Reimer is better than Westbeld and Boley is a wildcard for the NCAA tourney.

Reaction Score
No insult intended about KLS. My reference was to the other "Big Three"; Taurasi, Moore, and Stewart. Eight of the ten NC's have been won while one of the three was standing on the court. KLS will be a star, like many other former Husky stars, but D, Maya, and Stewie have been game changers, NPOY's and the dominant force in WCBB while they played.

Maybe next year KLS morphs into Stewie II, but we shouldn't expect that; we should be happy with whatever player it is that she becomes. Maybe next year's team will become a new prototype for a Uconn National Champ. Me and the rest of this looney crowd will love that. Maybe we don't need the next Maya, but of course it wouldn't hurt to find one.

It's not an insult but imo your belief that KLS is like Ann Strother is way off. But yet you are calling KLS a star now. So I'm confused what you really think of KLS because you also said you were concerned for UCONN's scoring next year. Did you think Ann "was a star?" it's okay if you did. I guess it depends what star means. But do you really think KLS will be just at Ann's level and not at maybe Sveta's? So if KLS is a star as you say (which I happen to agree she will be a star), you don't think having such elite players as Nurse, Gabby, Collier and danger to paly off of her would result in at least a pretty good offense?

I agree KLS is not Stewie/Maya/DT. But offensively she is a 6'3 wing that can use her size to get off many shots vs nearly any opponent if she has a backcourt unless the team wants t face-guard her the whole game using a team strategy (you need more than one player to deny.) . Sure open up the court turn the game into more of a street game for our guards and Gabby and Collier.

KLS is going to have very good guard play to compliment her game.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
who really thought Stewie would be Stewie?

and why cant KLS be the "next Stewie"... KLS may be the MOP of this year's Final Four

who knows
shrug.jpg

Reaction Score

and why cant KLS be the "next Stewie"... KLS may be the MOP of this year's Final Four

who knows
shrug.jpg
Well if Katie Lou turns out to be our only major scoring threat she will be double teamed.

Reaction Score
Depending on how much KLS continues to develop, and assuming Tuck leaves, I think a lot of next year will depend on the play and leadership of juniors Kia Nurse and Gabby Williams.

Reaction Score

who knows
EVERYONE knew Stewie would be Stewie. When she was recruited some said she was good enough to go straight to the WNBA and that would she be flushing it on every trip up the court. Hyperbole it was, but those types of players come with that type of hype and universal recognition and are as can't miss from a recruiting standpoint as you can get. In other words there is no doubt what you're getting in a player like that. It was the same with Taurasi, Maya, and Delle Donne (I don't know if there was hype for when Lobo was recruited) where anyone who saw them play knew that they would be unbelievable history making type players before they even stepped onto a college campus. When you see one of those players, even in high school, you just know. To my knowledge, there really aren't any players in high school right now that are at that level. The DTs, Mayas, and Stewies of the world don't come along every day, and luckily for us Geno has had a pretty good track record in pulling in those players.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
IMO KLS is MUCH more than "complementary player", and is - or at least will be - a "stand-alone talent like the Big 3" (probably exceeding Tuck, if I had to guess). I won't argue about KML, as she was much less multidimensional than KLS will be.
Don't think KLS is gonna end up there with the big 3 (Stewart, DT, Moore), but I think she has a shot at that next tier with Charles, Bird, Lobo, Abrosimova.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well I for one was one who thought she had a shot a being on the same level as DT/Moore. There were a few of us.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I like your trust and belief in the incoming class. Yet, by their rating (which does not show heart or what Geno magic does) they are not comparable to 2012. Uconn needs for Butler to become a Steff, Collier to become a Tuck, Katie Lou to become a 5/8th Stew, Dangerfield to become 1/2 Moriah and the rest of the newbies to hit the floor running. Chong and Ekmark are Chong and Ekmark I see no changes there. oh yes Gabby must be Gabby but better. Weak isn't ever good to put to a Uconn class or team but some realities exist. What is certain ND, Baylor, Tenn, USC, Stanford and a dozen others are thrilled with what Uconn will look like next year.
We're doomed.
Ok, we're not doomed, but there's no doubt that our recruiting as it stands now will not support the results we are accustomed to over the last few years.
By this I mean the level of dominance that we have enjoyed.

The class of 2012 lapped the field by a lot-historic epic class! It is possible to see UCONN win additional Championships with the current roster and pipeline of recruits with smaller MOV. So I don't think Butler needs to become Steff or Collier to become a Tuck, they just need to be very very good version of themselves. I am betting they will.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Unless HoopsFan21 is a pseudonym for Geno's future self. Like some combination of time travel and quantum entanglement.

I think HoopFan21 is really a pseudonym for Little Miss Muffett. That is what she is telling top recruits.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It's not an insult but imo your belief that KLS is like Ann Strother is way off. But yet you are calling KLS a star now. So I'm confused what you really think of KLS because you also said you were concerned for UCONN's scoring next year. Did you think Ann "was a star?" it's okay if you did. I guess it depends what star means. But do you really think KLS will be just at Ann's level and not at maybe Sveta's? So if KLS is a star as you say (which I happen to agree she will be a star), you don't think having such elite players as Nurse, Gabby, Collier and danger to paly off of her would result in at least a pretty good offense?

I agree KLS is not Stewie/Maya/DT. But offensively she is a 6'3 wing that can use her size to get off many shots vs nearly any opponent if she has a backcourt unless the team wants t face-guard her the whole game using a team strategy (you need more than one player to deny.) . Sure open up the court turn the game into more of a street game for our guards and Gabby and Collier.

Ann was a #1 coming out of HS and was instrumental in the 03 and 04 championships - she was a tall guard/wing with a sweet struck, good defense, and good passing - her freshman year was more consistent than Samuelson's and she put up comparable numbers - so saying freshman Samuelson is like freshman Strother is not a stretch. Does Samuelson have more up-side, yes, especially in hindsight. And she will face her 'shock' season next year while Ann faced it her junior year.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Just sayin I prefer Reimer not being there. Reimer was a very good player for ND. IMO Reimer is better than Westbeld and Boley is a wildcard for the NCAA tourney.

Well, they're playing their best basketball without her, and they gave UConn a competitive game when she was gone as well. I think she's easily replaceable considering the roster.

Reaction Score

So one of the things you learn here on the Boneyard is to be very careful how you phrase things.

I think KLS will be an AA before she's done here and will wind up on the Wall of Honor. She's that good. But distiguishing between her and D, Maya, and Stewie is in no way an insult to Lou.

We've had many AA's here, but those three stand out as players who could do on the court what few others have been able to accomplish.

Next year Lou will be double teamed the way that we have doubled Skylar and Loyd in the past, and getting her shot will become more difficult (she's open for her three's this year because our stellar seniors require constant attention from our opponents).

I'm excited to see what our team will do next year, and I expect us to go to another FF, but the future will need a Walker (or a reasonable facsimile if one exists) to keep us at the top.

Reaction Score
As I read all these projections for 2017 and (especially) beyond, I recall that about a year ago more posters visualized Natalie as starter #5 than Lou.

Next up -- Mississippi State. I like our chances. CYA iin B'port.:D

Kib, Let me step forward and say that I was one of those Natalie supporters. I was sure that she was the "key" to our being successful this year. I know I said in a post that it would take a while before Lou would make a meaningful contribution and that in comparison NB was battle tested and ready.

Next year, I still think, Butler will be a key to our success, but Boneyarder's everywhere can rest easily knowing that I'm not making the important decisions concerning playing time.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Kib, Let me step forward and say that I was one of those Natalie supporters. I was sure that she was the "key" to our being successful this year. I know I said in a post that it would take a while before Lou would make a meaningful contribution and that in comparison NB was battle tested and ready.

Next year, I still think, Butler will be a key to our success, but Boneyarder's everywhere can rest easily knowing that I'm not making the important decisions concerning playing time.
I think in order for Nat to be that key she has a lot of work on her plate. A lot. Hopefully when her thumb completely heals issues like her fumblitus and missing easy layups will disappear. Work on her upper and lower body strength. An effective power dribble. The power dribble that leads to nowhere needs to disappear. Better footwork down low. Better footwork on defense. More work on her short range jumper. Better outlets off the rebound. There are other areas. I see her as a work in progress. Clearly her desire and her effort is there. Perhaps that progress will emerge next year or more likely, the year after.

Reaction Score
I think in order for Nat to be that key she has a lot of work on her plate. A lot. Hopefully when her thumb completely heals issues like her fumblitus and missing easy layups will disappear. Work on her upper and lower body strength. An effective power dribble. The power dribble that leads to nowhere needs to disappear. Better footwork down low. Better footwork on defense. More work on her short range jumper. Better outlets off the rebound. There are other areas. I see her as a work in progress. Clearly her desire and her effort is there. Perhaps that progress will emerge next year or more likely, the year after.
Excellent analysis, JordyG. I keep thinking back to Geno's initial assessment that her transfer represented "a game changer." He must have seen a lot of her freshmen tapes, and now she has a lot better post coaching and a summer to really bring herself around. Clearly, if she can make the leap, and I believe that Kyla will surprise massively to the upside, we'll have tough, physical play underneath.

Reaction Score
Ann was a #1 coming out of HS and was instrumental in the 03 and 04 championships - she was a tall guard/wing with a sweet struck, good defense, and good passing - her freshman year was more consistent than Samuelson's and she put up comparable numbers - so saying freshman Samuelson is like freshman Strother is not a stretch. Does Samuelson have more up-side, yes, especially in hindsight. And she will face her 'shock' season next year while Ann faced it her junior year.

IMO it is an absolute stretch to compare the 2 going forward which bonpoland's post was implying. In that he or she further explains how KLS is not "The Big 3" of DT/Maya/Stewie. I know you don't like some putdowns of DT's teams during 02-03 and 03-04 that was NOT my intent. Bonpoland used the words "complimentary like Ann" and it seemed as though as mentioned above that he or she may be suggesting that is what KLS will be going forward. Later in his or her post below mentions KLS will be "on the wall." Which I agree. So no way do I consider "complimentary" as "being on the wall." That's why I said I was "confused" because other posts bonpoland is more into my thinking she wil be an A/A. And now as he or she says which I agree with is that KLS in our opinions will eventually be "on the wall."

As Geno said at the time about Ann Strother to paraphrase "she is the greatest very good player we have ever had." I agreed at the time with this. AS was a very good player. So going forward if KLS is "only" going to be "very good" vs being a great "1st team a/a on the wall" there is a difference between the two. THAT imo is the stretch to compare the two. I expect KLS to be MORE than complimenatray and be "more than very good." If someone were to believe KLS would only be "very good" going forward in a similar path as Ann - I think they would be very wrong.

Reaction Score
Well, they're playing their best basketball without her, and they gave UConn a competitive game when she was gone as well. I think she's easily replaceable considering the roster.

I don't know what the word "replaceable" means in terms of measurement. ND can play better this year and next even as good as they are now. If they had Reimer that makes them "better." And as stated next year I am much more happy to go against an inexperienced Boley in NCAA's or Westbeld than also having to deal with a plyer that can match Tuck.

And as far as this year's game I'd be happy to make a friendly wager with you if UCONN is up by 22 points with 9:04 left just like it was last game- you can take Notre Dame and we'll see who has the better chance to win. If you think ND has any chance to win a game down by 22 in the 4th, I'll take that bet. :)

Reaction Score
So one of the things you learn here on the Boneyard is to be very careful how you phrase things.

I think KLS will be an AA before she's done here and will wind up on the Wall of Honor. She's that good. But distinguishing between her and D, Maya, and Stewie is in no way an insult to Lou.

We've had many AA's here, but those three stand out as players who could do on the court what few others have been able to accomplish.

Next year Lou will be double teamed the way that we have doubled Skylar and Loyd in the past, and getting her shot will become more difficult (she's open for her three's this year because our stellar seniors require constant attention from our opponents).

I'm excited to see what our team will do next year, and I expect us to go to another FF, but the future will need a Walker (or a reasonable facsimile if one exists) to keep us at the top.

Right I see - but where I was coming from and I think the poster j6kicker was that you compared KLS to AS and referred to her as complimentary. I was not comparing her to the Big 3. I understand now. I ahgree with you KLS will be on the wall.

Also- not that this is that important but IMO KLS will not be double-teamed in anywhere near the capacity Skylar and Loyd were. She can't be because the other two's strength were getting to the basket. KLS's strength is shooting from the perimeter. They tried to create a lot of havoc with the dribble. It is much easier to double that. I can see a gimmick defense thrown at KLS but it will have to be imo more of ball denial. Once she catches the ball, she has such a quick release - there won't be time to double-team. And what is the chance there are two players on her when she catches the ball. There is no point to that. That's the good thing. The bad thing is, if KLS isn't hitting her shot "she isn't Skylar or Loyd" in that she can't create as much.

However if KLS forces a gimmick defense she opens up the court for everyone. With KLS it all comes down ot her hitting shots enough that the other team has to concentrate a ton on her "threat to shoot." She is 6'3 with a super quick release. She can get off her shot with a very good chance of going in vs anyone. Unlike an Ann who had a low release point form 3, it looks like KLS's is higher and quicker. And unlike KML, KLS is TALL and can shoot over many quicker small players that potentially could deny KML.

IMO potentially we haven't seen a player like her - and she could be in that super-supreme 2nd tier MoJeff/Bird/Tina/Lobo stratosphere. Potentially.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind these upcoming recruiting classes are Geno's last ones. A recruit from the 2017 or 18 class may not have Geno waiting for them at center court on Senior Day. While this may not impact recruiting right now, I'd expect it to come next year or the season after that when he's out on the recruiting trail.
It seems like a bunch of idle speculation on your part. I don't know think you know any more than I do and I think it's a little frivolous to even bring up that topic. Geno might end up coaching a lot longer than any one of us would have thought. I don't think he's even faintly hinted at what his future plans are and maybe his wife would throw him out if he was doing anything but coaching because that's the only thing that keeps him manageable. I think there'll be a lot more evidence of when he decides to hang things up, not withstanding if health issues of him or a family member dictated a sudden decision. I think he'd have a plan of a potential successor and try and assure continuity in the program as did Jim Calhoun. That time isn't now and that conversation shouldn't be now. JMHO

Reaction Score
Right I see - but where I was coming from and I think the poster j6kicker was that you compared KLS to AS and referred to her as complimentary. I was not comparing her to the Big 3. I understand now. I ahgree with you KLS will be on the wall.

Also- not that this is that important but IMO KLS will not be double-teamed in anywhere near the capacity Skylar and Loyd were. She can't be because the other two's strength were getting to the basket. KLS's strength is shooting from the perimeter. They tried to create a lot of havoc with the dribble. It is much easier to double that. I can see a gimmick defense thrown at KLS but it will have to be imo more of ball denial. Once she catches the ball, she has such a quick release - there won't be time to double-team. And what is the chance there are two players on her when she catches the ball. There is no point to that. That's the good thing. The bad thing is, if KLS isn't hitting her shot "she isn't Skylar or Loyd" in that she can't create as much.

However if KLS forces a gimmick defense she opens up the court for everyone. With KLS it all comes down ot her hitting shots enough that the other team has to concentrate a ton on her "threat to shoot." She is 6'3 with a super quick release. She can get off her shot with a very good chance of going in vs anyone. Unlike an Ann who had a low release point form 3, it looks like KLS's is higher and quicker. And unlike KML, KLS is TALL and can shoot over many quicker small players that potentially could deny KML.

IMO potentially we haven't seen a player like her - and she could be in that super-supreme 2nd tier MoJeff/Bird/Tina/Lobo stratosphere. Potentially.
What I really like is the midrange game that KLS has started showing. I saw glimmers of it in some youtube videos but she's doing more of it now and at this level. I personally think she is only scratching the surface of how good she will inevitably be. Her demeanor is wonderful and though she doesn't show a lot of emotion, you could see she has a fire in her to be better and better and better. That's one of the reasons she didn't follow her sisters to Stanford. Because she felt she'd be pushed more by Geno though obviously Tara is a marvelous coach. You have to remember that Breanna wasn't Breanna for a major part of her freshman year, flashing signs of greatness very early and then very late but she went through a long streak of mediocrity, at best. Diana was decent but nowhere where she'd inevitably be and only Maya showed any superior consistency in her first year in Storrs. They all ended up having superb careers so don't count her out. Hopefully Morgan decides to return which should help a lot taking some of the heat off of her and that Napheesa will show more of what she could do when in high school and have that big sophomore jump. By the way, who knows what our new Tennessee import, Ms. Dangerfield do. She might take over where Moriah left off though that surely wouldn't be easy. Moriah was (is) magnificent.

Reaction Score

I was with you about who would start. Butler might have started at the start the season if not for the injury. So you and I still could have been right for that specific purpose. Those threads were imo not about who would wind up being the end of season starter but start early. Now you are saying you expected NB to be the starter all year, that is different. Anyhow, KLS was not "loved" by Geno early in the season. I think everything changed after DePaul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom