Is Boston for SC stoppable? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is Boston for SC stoppable?

Reaction Score
I don't understand how Boston constantly gets inside rebounding position. If the ball goes up she is somehow right under the basket for the putback. She seems like a great kid but can any 2 players block her out for God's sake? As great as their talent is, Boston seems to carry that team over and over. Notice that she uses her hands to turn the opposing player just a little and then she slides through for the rebounding position. She is a case study in how to rebound the post position. Its subtle but her positioning is key.
yes, i dont understand either,
At least will have 2 nearest player box out around the rim and get the rebound.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
How good would SC be without Boston? UConn had to answer that when they lost Paige. Took a while. Wonder how SC would do?

Probably would still be pretty good IMO considering they have Cardoso off the bench, plus Amihere/Feagin as backups. I think UCONN would have adjusted to losing Paige better if they didn't constantly have other players missing on random nights. It led to player roles constantly changing and prevented chemistry from developing, or a rotation being established. If SC lost Boston for the bulk of the year, plus had scattered games where Beal, Cooke and Henderson were out, then it would've been messier.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I don't think UCONN can hold Boston down to under at least 15/12 type of numbers, but the key is stopping everyone else. Take out Boston's FG% and they shoot under 40% on the year as a team. If you can pressure Cooke/Henderson into bad shooting nights, you have a shot to win. The key for UCONN, or any team, is manufacturing enough offense. The potential is there, as prior to Paige's injury, UCONN scored 54 in 3 quarters vs SC which I think is more than any other team has scored through 3 quarters against SC.

Reaction Score
They said that about Griner too and then L'Ville beat them. Boston will get points and that's going to happen but IMO you have to keep her from getting that many boards. Can be done by several dedicated players using fouls.
I was thinking about the Griner strategy when Louisville beat them- the best women’s basketball game I’ve ever seen, by the way. They had 2-3 people always defending her, always one in front and always one behind, the third helped as needed. Should we get that far, whoever is guarding Boston needs to be ready always to box out to secure rebounds. Boston likes to spin and squeeze past the defender- it is critical to deny her a path to the basket. Don’t try to block her shot, the refs have a friendly whistle for her, and she is a great FT shooter. Deny, block out, arms straight up, grab the rebound.
SC isn’t a very deep team but their defense is excellent and switches as well as UConn does. UConn has more shooters, SC really has just Henderson and Cooke to worry about.
But it all starts with Boston. Make her work for everything she tries, don’t foul or she’ll get lots of free points from the line, on offense run the fast break, don’t overpass down low but put up the shot and others run in for offensive rebounds. If we are hitting our outside shots and play tight but clean defense down low, it’ll be a good result.

Reaction Score
Man. It is a joy watching Aliyah Boston play! Teams throw 3-4 bodies at her and she still racks up a double-double every game! Teams are hacking the heck out of this young lady and she keeps her poise. Gotta love that about her. Watching the game yesterday, UNC tried their best to stop this young lady and she would not be denied. So is he stoppable? Nope. You can only hope to contain her.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The smartest way to beat Aliyah Boston is get her in foul trouble. Get Aliyah Boston off the floor by attacking her with your offense until she is out of the game. She's not a Cameron Brink kind-of-serial-fouler and if UConn plays Stanford they will have an easy day fouling her out of the game very early so she's not a factor.

Aliyah is more disciplined so they need to force the refs to call fouls and get her on the bench. Make her vulnerable late in games by getting her out early and making her think twice before blocking shots.

Aaliyah drew so many charges against UCF I like her odds. Dorka did as well. South Carolina is still strong but less effective when Boston has to sit.
I was waiting for someone to suggest this. Boston can’t hurt you or help her team from the bench. The more time she spends there, the better your odds are of winning. It will be interesting to see how dominant SC is the year after she graduates, and Cardoso takes over full time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yea...stop leaving her open on the perimeter. And stick to the game plan...the entire game. Crowd the paint and let someone else beat you. NC bit in the second half on tightly covering SC guards. Play the odds...they weren't going to keep burying 3s. Lastly...BOX OUT. You're not going to rattle Boston...so rattle another cage. If you have fast breaks...take them, otherwise, cut and move (people and the ball) until at least the last 10 seconds of the shot clock. Be patient and make them use energy on defense....even if in the end you miss or they block the shot. SC has a dominant player and then height. They're good, but IMO not dominant. In fact, no team in the field is dominant. So everyone better have their head on a swivel.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If UConn faces SC both teams have height. UConn has better guards. Box out and double down. Boston got to many put backs and had position underneath. UNC did not box her out and UNC was still in the game. Yeah if we meet we have a very good chance of beat SC. Alot of posts about getting Boston in foul trouble. How bout blanketing the guards so they cant get her the ball and box SC out. UConn has way to many weapons for anybody the rest of the way. Lets worry about winning the next 2 games.

I think Creighton a very good outside shooting team and very disciplined will be a hand full for SC. That will be a really good game

Reaction Score
I was waiting for someone to suggest this. Boston can’t hurt you or help her team from the bench. The more time she spends there, the better your odds are of winning.
I usually don't play the ref card, but unless there is some mighty collision, they aren't going to call a foul on Boston. She crashed into an NC player and Carolyn Peck commented as if it were a love tap. lol

Reaction Score
I was waiting for someone to suggest this. Boston can’t hurt you or help her team from the bench. The more time she spends there, the better your odds are of winning.
But Dawn can counter by moving her out of the center by bringing in Cardosa and playing the twin towers lineup as they did against Miami.

The refs aren’t going to take the NPOY out of a championship game on Ricky tack it fouls. Make her work for every point and rebound. Limit her. Don’t worthy about “ stopping her.”

But really, the best game plan is to bring your outstanding guard play and exploit our weakness there. Do what you do best . We do not have a quality third guard and our two starters are not great. Get in Zia Cooke’s head.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I usually don't play the ref card, but unless there is some mighty collision, they aren't going to call a foul on Boston. She crashed into an NC player and Carolyn Peck commented as if it were a love tap. lol
A good coach will make adjustments for a player that is allowed to run amuck. I hear you. As I have said before, she’s not afraid of contact and does not shy away from it on either end of the court.

She commented in an interview at the beginning of the season that she wanted to be more aggressive, she is. She can’t control how the refs call the game. She can only adjust to it.

In 3 games no one has been able to stop them. Let’s see what happens tomorrow.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
But Dawn can counter by moving her out of the center by bringing in Cardosa and playing the twin towers lineup as they did against Miami.

The refs aren’t going to take the NPOY out of a championship game on Ricky tack it fouls. Make her work for every point and rebound. Limit her. Don’t worthy about “ stopping her.”

But really, the best game plan is to bring your outstanding guard play and exploit our weakness there. Do what you do best . We do not have a quality third guard and our two starters are not great. Get in Zia Cooke’s head.
Dawn is not a young coach. She knows what she’s doing, plus she has an experienced and well traveled coaching staff to help her. I doubt any team is going to do something that she is not ready for, or does not have a contingency plan for.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score

Get Henderson and Cooke in foul trouble maybe not but contain them and Boston cant win the game on her own. Again UConn has alot of weapons and depth in those weapons. Hope it comes about.

Reaction Score
LET’S GET THERE FIRST!
When we do: IMHO- if you think that is where the game will either be won or lost (which I don’t), make it a war of attrition. UCONN has at least 15 personals to give at the 5 spot.
Play hard nosed in the paint and let’s see how the officials call it.
My take is our guards will need to hit from the outside early, drawing the defense out, then working the offense in the space this creates
No doubt that our bigs need to step up, but at this point in the season, everyone does.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
Uconn needs to play as a team, not one. Uconn top five girls average 60 points per game, SC top five 51. Uconn top five girls average 21 rebounds per game, SC 27. But the game with SC is still a long way off. Still work to be done.

Reaction Score
She really has arrived this year as a truly elite player. While she still has the (very) occasional game where you think, “a bit of a down game” those have become quite rare and she is simply unstoppable in the low post. I thought she was overly lionized her first two years as her consistency and her averages were not high enough to be considered truly elite, but she has really stepped it up and is now the most consistently dominant player in the country. Sob! If only…:(
She is a junior now, and her growth and maturity has shown. And that’s the kind of development you want to see. I’m happy for her.

Reaction Score
Watching SC against NC (and I'm not a BB x and o's guy) Boston was on the right block and waited until one of the SC guards came to Boston's defender to set a pick and then went around the pick to shoot an easy layup. I think this is the kind of stuff UConn or any opponent has to be able to answer. One part is to work the refs to be looking for moving picks in that low. Normally, that close to the basket, the refs don't look too closely. But a moving pick is a moving pick.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Wrong board???
Technically the OP’s query about Boston should have been posted in the “general “ section. The mods continuously remind us that this board is for news and comments related to UConn WBB only.

Whether Boston is stoppable or not has nothing to do with UConn until SC is their next opponent.

Reaction Score
Probably would still be pretty good IMO considering they have Cardoso off the bench, plus Amihere/Feagin as backups. I think UCONN would have adjusted to losing Paige better if they didn't constantly have other players missing on random nights. It led to player roles constantly changing and prevented chemistry from developing, or a rotation being established. If SC lost Boston for the bulk of the year, plus had scattered games where Beal, Cooke and Henderson were out, then it would've been messier.
Agree, I think they would be good without Boston. Remember Cardosa is a star herself, put up huge numbers at Syracuse and would be in the conversation for best C of her class, probably just behind Brink. Amihere and Feagin are way above average too. SC probably has the best starting C and the best backup C in the country.

Obviously limiting the probable player of the year is important, but beating their bigs is not a very realistic goal for their opponents. Beating their wings and guards is. In our case hanging in their with their bigs and not getting in foul trouble would be key factors. Boston's style of play gets opposing bigs in foul trouble all the time. They have 5 very good ones we have 3, and two of ours Liv and Aaliyah are foul prone, Dorka not so much. We have little room for error with our 3 big rotation. Maybe we could go small ball against some teams for part of the game, but SC is not one of those teams.

On the other hand we are better and deeper on the perimeter, just the opposite of the situation with the bigs, so that is our strength and edge.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom