Is Baylor This Year's Delaware? | The Boneyard

Is Baylor This Year's Delaware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Sims is proving to be harder to stop than even EDD, and like EDD, Sims may be worth an Elite 8 appearance with her dominance.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Tonight's line for Sims: 48 points, 10 rebounds, 7 assists in a 78-62 win over WVU. Very impressive.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Sims has a legit shot at NPOY, and that's not something anyone could really say about EDD.

If Sims is able to get Baylor past UConn, I think NPOY is her honor to lose.

Baylor plays somewhat better teams, despite the mediocre schedule, than did Delaware.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Sims is proving to be harder to stop than even EDD, and like EDD, Sims may be worth an Elite 8 appearance with her dominance.

But delaware only made it to the sweet 16..... so perhaps she can one up Della Donne in that regard

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sims has a legit shot at NPOY, and that's not something anyone could really say about EDD.

Baylor plays somewhat better teams, despite the mediocre schedule, than did Delaware.
Baylor's OOC was worse this year than I think Delaware has ever played - their toughest opponent outside KU was ranked above 150 and most of them were well into the 200s. I agree that for the whole season it will be better but Kim really lined up a murderers row of cupcakes for the OOC. And saying EDD had no chance is sort of like saying Sims had no chance last year. Griner was going to get POY period. That said ... if Baylor does OK and they should and Sims continues her torrid stretch, it will be hard not to give her the award.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
Whole lot of BBall yet to be played.
- Roger that.
- So far? Both fine teams. Both with excellent team leaders. Both lost to Kentucky.

Reaction Score

Surely , no one thinks Sims is going to score 40 points against Huskies next week ! In fact I am curious to see just how important it is for Huskies to not only win the game , but to make her look ordinary. The huskies not only have the talent , but also the depth to do so. Don't get me wrong, I have always thought of OS as a terrific player, but......? I expect a few huskies to take this matchup very personal !

Reaction Score

Only because Sims is higher profile and gets more national coverage than EDD did.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Only because Sims is higher profile and gets more national coverage than EDD did.

Yep- EDD made a decision for personal reasons, and playing for a low-profile program in a no-profile conference was an outcome of that decision. AT UConn, she would have played for the most visible program vying for national championships, not to mention she probably would have been better developed under Geno. Not going to dredge all of that up yet again, but them's the facts.

Reaction Score
Higher profile??? EDD was 1 of "3 to See". Sims is only 1 of "5 Need to Know".

How many Delaware games were on ESPN last year? Every one I went to didn't have any camera crews there. Sims played with Griner and the media thought she (Griner) was the best thing in the women's basketball world.

Reaction Score
Yep- EDD made a decision for personal reasons, and playing for a low-profile program in a no-profile conference was an outcome of that decision. AT UConn, she would have played for the most visible program vying for national championships, not to mention she probably would have been better developed under Geno. Not going to dredge all of that up yet again, but them's the facts.
I seriously don't think that she has any regrets about it. She probably should've got the WNBA MVP as well as Rookie Of The Year last season and outshined everyone else in the league.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sims has a better supporting cast than EDD enjoyed. The similarity ends, of course, with the disproportionate reliance on one player's scoring contribution. EDD has a more complete game and, though Sims will go high in the draft and fare well in the WNBA, EDD will end up having the more impressive WNBA career.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
How do you figure that?

Scorer, rebounder, shot blocker, defender and , yes, ball handler. She has a greater shot making ability than Sims from various parts of the floor. I give Sims an edge on only shot blocking and a draw on defense, though given their physique differences it is a hard comparison.

edit: Sims edge in ball handling! not shot blocking! It's the mimosas I gotta give up!

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Scorer,
Probably. Although Sims is a much better driver than EDD. But yea, EDD is a better shooter. And at 6-5 can score better inside.

rebounder, shot blocker
Only because EDD is 6-5.

defender
Eh, NO. Sims is a much (much) better defender. Sure EDD can block shots, but she's nowhere near the defender Sims is.
Stewart can block shots too, really, really well. But as we just heard Geno say, she really doesn't have a clue about playing defense.

yes, ball handler.
Ummm, NO. Not even in the same league.

And don't forget assists.

Seems EDD's more "complete game", really is just her being taller.

On the other hand, if I was drafting, I'm taking a 6-5 EDD before I take Sims.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Probably. Although Sims is a much better driver than EDD. But yea, EDD is a better shooter. And at 6-5 can score better inside.

I've looked for EDD's scoring average, shooting percentage and 3 point shooting percentage from last year but cannot locate it on the UD site. I venture to guess that Sims is scoring more points and shooting a better percentage overall from the floor and also from three point range.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score

Only because EDD is 6-5.

Eh, NO. Sims is a much (much) better defender. Sure EDD can block shots, but she's nowhere near the defender Sims is.
Stewart can block shots too, really, really well. But as we just heard Geno say, she really doesn't have a clue about playing defense.

Ummm, NO. Not even in the same league.

And don't forget assists.

Seems EDD's more "complete game", really is just her being taller.

On the other hand, if I was drafting, I'm taking a 6-5 EDD before I take Sims.
Pretty much all true kind of on both sides except about the blocks just being a matter of size. Sims at 5'8" just doesn't get blocks -- 0 this year. Even smaller MoJeff has 2 and Chong has racked up 6 in less MPG than Sims.

Comparing the partial season stats for Sims vs. full senior season stats for EDD yields few surprises other than that Sims actually takes a higher percentage of her team's shots (28%) than did EDD (26%). Besides all the other differences in the two teams perhaps the most meaningful is that the Blue Hens shot only 39% when you remove EDD from the stats, while Sims has much more support with a team that is shooting 44% when she is removed. That also of course meant though that EDD had less chance of picking up assists with her weak-shooting crew. I'm also guessing that EDD tended to have more defenders on her due to her team makeup, larger size, and relative lack of quickness compared to Sims.

Player---MPG----FG%----3pt%---FT%---RPG---APG---TOPG--A\TO---BPG---StPG---PFPG---PPG
EDD------33.0----48.7%---45.2%---92.1%---8.5---1.9----1.1------1.7-----2.3-----0.9-----1.4------26.0
Sims------30.1----50.7%---43.6%---81.8%---4.5---4.8---2.1------2.3-----0.0-----2.2-----2.0------32.1

Shooting is a bit of a wash, with Sims having a slight edge overall and EDD getting the 3pt and FT nod. EDD gets the rebounds and blocks, and Sims gets the assists and steals. A lot of it comes down to the role on their respective teams and their differing sizes. All you can say for sure is very good numbers for both.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm not sure about that. EDD was part of the 3 to see. Griner, Simms, Diggins. They were hyped beyond belief every opportunity. This year they have the "5 you need to know". Simms, Ogwumike, Stewie, KML and Thomas. The hype is more spread out. I find it telling, though, that on that list, 3 seniors, junior KML, and sophomore Stewie. Says something about how great those kids are.

Reaction Score
I've looked for EDD's scoring average, shooting percentage and 3 point shooting percentage from last year but cannot locate it on the UD site. I venture to guess that Sims is scoring more points and shooting a better percentage overall from the floor and also from three point range.

EDD had double and triple teams on her every game. The other teams knew that she was the only thing they really had to worry about. Even Maryland had to do that. The only reason Maryland beat them was because EDD got tired because she was coming back from the Lyme thing and it was her first game back. I think they won every game after she got back into shape.
IMO- not many can shoot 3's like EDD. Especially in a clutch situation. She's like Larry Bird in that respect and I saw both of them do it in person.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure about that. EDD was part of the 3 to see. Griner, Simms, Diggins. They were hyped beyond belief every opportunity. This year they have the "5 you need to know". Simms, Ogwumike, Stewie, KML and Thomas. The hype is more spread out. I find it telling, though, that on that list, 3 seniors, junior KML, and sophomore Stewie. Says something about how great those kids are.

I know she was part of the "3 To See" but she started out the season with Lyme sickness and didn't play much so I don't think they showed many Delaware games. I think I saw interviews where she said it herself. I didn't have cable or FIOS last season so i don't know what was shown. I'm just going by the Del. games I attended.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sims is shooting around 43% from 3 pt this year. EDD shot 40% for her career. However Sims only shot around 33% last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom