In The NCAA Championship Game, You Can Choose... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

In The NCAA Championship Game, You Can Choose...

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You couldn't go wrong with any combination but
I'd take:
Bazz: Kemba is a better individual talent, but Bazz is better at setting the table for others and given the other talent on this squad that quality has a higher value IMHO
Ray: very tough decision but Ray is the better pure shooter from 3
Caron: better all around player over his career, this was mores evident if we are only looking at their peak ability while at UConn when Caron was >> Rudy
Donyell: Caron and Emeka give you the rebounding needed, 'Yell also has the 3 point range to spread the floor
Emeka: Much better all around performer that Hasheem

Minor note: donyell did average 9 boards a game his Jr year. So he's no slouch there either

Reaction Score
In this game yes, if its just a straight up question jake or hasheem the answer is obviously Hasheem. You need glue guys to win a national championship, Jake would be in a lineup with Kemba, Rip, and Caron. You need guys who do the dirty work.

This is nonsense. I'm as big a Voskuhl fan as you're going to find, but Thabeet was a better college player than him on nearly every level. Better rebounder, defender, scorer, shot-blocker, etc.

Reaction Score
This is nonsense. I'm as big a Voskuhl fan as you're going to find, but Thabeet was a better college player than him on nearly every level. Better rebounder, defender, scorer, shot-blocker, etc.

I didnt say Jake was better then Hasheem did I? You need glue guys to win a national championship because guess what your not gonna have 5 all americans in your lineup.

Reaction Score
I dont need an all time Uconn team to beat that Uk`12 team. Just give me Uconn 04 and JC and we win by 10. Easy work!

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I'm with the OP on this. I don't want Donyell on the line at the end of a close win-or-go-home game, if it happened to come to that. I can forgive, but I'll never forget.

Reaction Score

No doubt Thabeet overall college skills were more of an impact but I guess intangibles do mean something after all huh? Who had a longer NBA career?

Jake is severely undervalued as a Husky I believe - great "team" player no doubt.

Reaction Score
I'm with the OP on this. I don't want Donyell on the line at the end of a close win-or-go-home game, if it happened to come to that. I can forgive, but I'll never forget.

Would you want him on the line if he was playing against St John's? - I'm guessing Jeff never made 20 in a row never mind in one game.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
No doubt Thabeet overall college skills were more of an impact but I guess intangibles do mean something after all huh? Who had a longer NBA career?

Jake is severely undervalued as a Husky I believe - great "team" player no doubt.

What does NBA have to do with it? Eg college Emeka <> NBA Emeka.

We are talking about a first team AA, DPOY, and one of the greatest defenders in NCAA history. You build an entire defensive philosophy around Thabeet.

I like Jake. Crucial piece to a championship, but he didn't even sniff all BE.

Yeah, you need role players, but I take ray Allen over Niels Giffey 100 times out of 100,

Last edited:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Would you want him on the line if he was playing against St John's? - I'm guessing Jeff never made 20 in a row never mind in one game.

Seem to recall that was in mid-January. Not end-game in an elimination game. No comparison.

Reaction Score
Kemba at his peak was slightly better than Shabazz at his peak, but one could argue that Shabazz had the better tournament. He posted 21 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists, and 3 steals on ridiculous 46/47/94 shooting splits. I would give the slight nod to Kemba because he was a better defender and a little bit more of a force of nature, but it's close.

Ray over Rip

Caron over Rudy - I think this one is pretty easy; in my mind, Caron might be the most underrated guy to ever play here.

Donyell - you're going to need the extra floor spacing against a tough UK defense

Emeka - I think he was slightly better than a freshman Davis

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Here's the bottom line at SF: Rip got it done, Ray didn't.

Reaction Score
I didnt say Jake was better then Hasheem did I? You need glue guys to win a national championship because guess what your not gonna have 5 all americans in your lineup.

It's not just that Thabeet was a better player than Voskuhl by several magnitudes. He was also better at nearly every aspect of the game. There is no role - star, glue guy, role player, etc. - that Voskuhl would have been better than Thabeet at.

Reaction Score
Seem to recall that was in mid-January. Not end-game in an elimination game. No comparison.

Wait, this is your real opinion? Really? Donyell was a 77% FT shooter at UConn. Adrien was 61%. Full stop. That's it. If you'd rather have Adrien than Donyell at the line, you're a fool.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
It is ludicrous to say you'd want a ~60% FT shooter on the line over a ~75% FT shooter based on one game. Boatright missed a lot of important free throws early this year too. Would you want Adrien at the line over him?

Reaction Score
It is ludicrous to say you'd want a ~60% FT shooter on the line over a ~75% FT shooter based on one game. Boatright missed a lot of important free throws early this year too. Would you want Adrien at the line over him?

I knew Boat was gonna be a stud from his first game. Hit those 3 FTs to help beat FSU in the B4A. But if were talking about the silky 15 ft jumper Adrien had from the line, I would take him over Boat:D

jeff-Adrien.jpg

Reaction Score
It's not just that Thabeet was a better player than Voskuhl by several magnitudes. He was also better at nearly every aspect of the game. There is no role - star, glue guy, role player, etc. - that Voskuhl would have been better than Thabeet at.

I already have a lineup of Kemba, Rip and Caron I don't need 5 all americans out there, and btw I did put Emeka in my lineup so that point about me taking Jake over Thabeet in this game is mute, and I took Adrien over Donyell in this game does that mean I think Adrien is better no.

Reaction Score
I already have a lineup of Kemba, Rip and Caron I don't need 5 all americans out there, and btw I did put Emeka in my lineup so that point about me taking Jake over Thabeet in this game is mute, and I took Adrien over Donyell in this game does that mean I think Adrien is better no.

Sure, you don't need five AA's, but you're definitely making the team worse by replacing Thabeet with Voskuhl. Having Adrien over Donyell is also very stupid.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Wait, this is your real opinion? Really? Donyell was a 77% FT shooter at UConn. Adrien was 61%. Full stop. That's it. If you'd rather have Adrien than Donyell at the line, you're a fool.

Where the hell did I say I would want Jeff on the line instead of Donyell? I just said that if it came down to FTs in the closing seconds of a game of that magnitude, I know I don't want Donyell on the line. Even career 56% FT shooter Emeka Okafor got the job done in a very similar situation a decade later.

I don't know if Jeff would make them or not. But as a 61% FT shooter, I would expect him to make at least one.

My point is that Donyell, a proven great FT shooter, with the game on the line, in the most important game of his collegiate career, with 3.1 seconds left in a single elimination game, missed them both. That is a classic choke in my mind.

Is it petty of me to still hold that against him? Probably. After all, those two missed freebies would be old enough to buy a drink anywhere in the country now. But so would the first national championship trophy we might have won if Yell hadn't choked at the line. So yeah, if I was picking the team and limited to the players in the OP's post, I'd have to take Jeff, just because he never broke my heart.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Watch who you call a fool. Earlier that season, Yell went 20-20 from the line in MSG. Big spot, choke. Maybe if he got some sleep the night before. I'm taking JA.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Jake set better picks than did Thabeet. I think Jake was the best ever at UConn in that one important and often undervalued skill
Much better at the outlet pass as well. That's another underrated, but very valuable, skill.

Reaction Score
Sure, you don't need five AA's, but you're definitely making the team worse by replacing Thabeet with Voskuhl. Having Adrien over Donyell is also very stupid.

Hello I have Emeka on my team go check my first post on this thread. You do know this thread is about a matchup against 2012 UK team, not about an alltime uconn team. I would gladly take Donyell any day but in this matchup I'm taking Adrien.

Reaction Score
Watch who you call a fool. Earlier that season, Yell went 20-20 from the line in MSG. Big spot, choke. Maybe if he got some sleep the night before. I'm taking JA.

You're like cartoon characters. I can't believe that a human person who can type and access the internet would think this.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

The most important UConn free throw in the last 15 years (perhaps all-time) was made by a guy that shot 57% for the year. Yell just had to make 1 out of 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom