In The NCAA Championship Game, You Can Choose... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

In The NCAA Championship Game, You Can Choose...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The most important UConn free throw in the last 15 years (perhaps all-time) was made by a guy that shot 57% for the year. Yell just had to make 1 out of 2.

Yes, it was bad. But do you honestly think that's because he was actually incapable of making a free throw in a high-pressure situation, and not because sometimes even good shooters miss twice in a row?

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I dont agree with all of the "UConn would easily beat that 2012 UK team no matter what".
That 2012 UK was a wagon, IMO. Hate to admit it. (Luckily had nothing to do with Calimari). Anthony Davis was, is and will be an absolute monster.
Our best shot would be Kemba, Ray, Rudy, Adrien, Thabeet.

Reaction Score
I would take Jake over Thabeet every day of the week. I think Scoe nailed it with his picks. A lineup of Kemba, Rip, Caron, Adrien and Emeka would be next to impossible to beat.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The most important UConn free throw in the last 15 years (perhaps all-time) was made by a guy that shot 57% for the year. Yell just had to make 1 out of 2.

I don't understand how anybody can classify Emeka's free throw as even one of the most important free throws in 15 years, much less the most important.

UConn was up by three with what, four seconds left? Even with only a 57% free throw shooter on the line, their win expectancy there was probably 98 or 99%. There were four free throws in that game alone (Ben's two to bring us within three, and Rashad's to put us up three) that were certainly more important. The fact that Duhon threw in the garbage three doesn't really mean much, fallacy of the predetermined outcome in all.

Edit: just now realizing you were referencing Brimah. I'm an idiot.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Much better at the outlet pass as well. That's another underrated, but very valuable, skill.

He also understood the game much better than Hasheem. When Jake was a junior/senior, he had cleaned up the dumb fouls from early in his career and he consistently made the smart plays. He was also a better positional defender than HT. I'm not saying he was as good overall (obviously not), but the ways he was better could make a difference in an all-star type game where he would make the smart play in crunchtime. I could see Davis putting HT on the bench with fouls very quickly. I would certainly go with Emeka, in any case.

Reaction Score
What does NBA have to do with it? Eg college Emeka <> NBA Emeka.

We are talking about a first team AA, DPOY, and one of the greatest defenders in NCAA history. You build an entire defensive philosophy around Thabeet.

I like Jake. Crucial piece to a championship, but he didn't even sniff all BE.

Yeah, you need role players, but I take ray Allen over Niels Giffey 100 times out of 100,

I guess you missed the reasoning here. I merely mentioned Thabeet was better in college but there's an obvious need to understand the game and the details of being an important component. Jake did just that and it worked out for him and he should always be mentioned with the real impact guys like Emeka and Tahbeet.

Reaction Score
Back to that Florida game in 1994. Other than the Laetner dagger....that Craig Brown 3 pointer had to rank as the second most painful dagger to see go in since I was born. That shot crushed me because I knew it was OVER when the shot tickled the twine. This year Sterling G. will be tickling the twine at record levels from downtown.

Reaction Score
Back to that Florida game in 1994. Other than the Laetner dagger....that Craig Brown 3 pointer had to rank as the second most painful dagger to see go in since I was born. That shot crushed me because I knew it was OVER when the shot tickled the twine. This year Sterling G. will be tickling the twine at record levels from downtown.

And we owned BC who was next I believe so the FF was a given.

Reaction Score
And we owned BC who was next I believe so the FF was a given.

Yep when that Craig Brown shot went in I think every UConn fan in my age group remembers where they were and the feeling they had in their heart and gut! Our FF ticket was all but punched if we met BC! :(

Reaction Score
This is nonsense. I'm as big a Voskuhl fan as you're going to find, but Thabeet was a better college player than him on nearly every level. Better rebounder, defender, scorer, shot-blocker, etc.

I agree on all but "defender" is more than blocked shots. I will say this, Thabeets blocked shots were a huge impact which Jake could not make up for but Jake was a solid defenderin the physical sense. For instance Blair would never have owned Jake like he did Thabeet as he wouldn't have hammered into him as easily. Brand will agree with that.

Still, there's no denying Hasheem's impact on the defensive side.

Reaction Score
Screw their 2012 team. Put up their best 5 of all time and our best 5 of all time and let's ball

They don't have a PG like ours
They don't have a swing G like ours
and our big men in the middle were just as good as theirs

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Emeka / Jake is the best rotation you could have for a real team if you take their entire career at UConn. It it's the peak year you go with Emeka / Drummond.

The correct answer is

Emeka
Kemba
Ray
Caron
Donyell (I can't believe enough time has past that this is even a discussion)

The bench is
Drummond
Shabazz
Rip
Rudy
Cliffy

Gordon
Jake
Whichever PG has the highest FT%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics