If you're the UCONN AD, would you try to leave the american tomorrow? | The Boneyard

If you're the UCONN AD, would you try to leave the american tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know they tried to get into the ACC and for some reason did not... After tonight though, it's pretty obvious the American gets no respect. It's considered a "high-midmajor" like the mwc. I would love to see uconn go to the acc and hopefully there's a way to make it happen.

Reaction Score
*Warde calls ACC*
"Hello this is Warde Manuel and UConn would like to be in your athletic conference"
"Oh that sounds fantastic we'll make this happen right away!"
*Warde hangs up phone, continues on with his day*
lol I know it's not that easy, and I made this post because I don't know all that goes on for it to happen. Just saying when the aac tourny is going on and you hear someone like doris burke(not a fan off) bring up that cincy is making an attempt to leave is pretty disrespectful. That's not the place to bring stuff up like that.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
A10 or Big East is a big upgrade.

I would take a partial membership in ACC with football independence.

There are ideas that need to be explored. In 3 years it will be too late.

Reaction Score

You are joking here? A10 and Big East an upgrade? Providence just won the BE tournament! Even with Ville gone those conferences are lateral moves IMO.

Reaction Score

Agreed, the american is losing louisville and rutgers and gaining Tulsa and Uab... I'm sorry but that's just terrible long-term for UCONN.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Thank God you got here - we were all talking the other day about how much we were enjoying life in the AAC and whether we should buy Tulsa some sort of housewarming gift.

It seems we had it wrong, all wrong.

Reaction Score
Agreed, the american is losing louisville and rutgers and gaining Tulsa and Uab... I'm sorry but that's just terrible long-term for UCONN.[/quote

wow, very insightful

I think we should stay. the travel and money we get are great. What's not to love

Reaction Score
I just don't get how nobody would want UCONN in their conference, am I missing something? Great cbb program in women's and men's, football is a joke I guess, but they still produce football players in the nfl. If rutgers and Maryland can get in the A-10, Uconn should be able to as well.

Reaction Score
Tired of the "football is the reason" talk. You mean Rutgers the football powerhouse? How bout B1G Northwestern? That's a football blueblood. Even the SEC that is so vaunted has some crappy programs. IMO Warde and Susan need to start earning their pay and get off their asses.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The seedings and number of bids will be brought up with every UConn recruit, and every school looking for a coach will bring it up with those coaches.

But let's just hope things will get better in the AAC. That seems like a great plan.

Reaction Score
Nope. I would stick around for awhile to see where the conference is heading. With us, Cincinnati, Memphis, SMU, and Temple (People forget the rich history of Temple basketball?), the league has the makings of being something really special. I would stick around for awhile.

Reaction Score
Agreed, the american is losing louisville and rutgers and gaining Tulsa and Uab... I'm sorry but that's just terrible long-term for UCONN.
UAB is joining now as well?
Seriously, I can't keep up with this. When did that happen?

Reaction Score
Tired of the "football is the reason" talk. You mean Rutgers the football powerhouse? How bout B1G Northwestern? That's a football blueblood. Even the SEC that is so vaunted has some crappy programs. IMO Warde and Susan need to start earning their pay and get off their asses.

Northwestern is in the conference already. Conferences aren't booting anyone out. They are pulling programs in. And as it stands we suck at football. The ACC isn't booting Duke and NC cuz they aren't good at football. They are pulling in programs with better football than us. Football has held us back. Hopefully that changes soon.

Reaction Score
Anyone who advocates for football independence should not be taken seriously.

Exactly. Football drives the CR bus right now, and football independence is a death sentence.

Every year UConn would have to scrap just to get a 12 game schedule.
It would be tough to get a home game against a P5 school.
UConn would have no leverage in schedule negotiations; UConn would need opponents more than they would need UConn.
There would no natural rival since the schools that UConn should be rivals with are in conferences.
Nobody outside of UConn fans would want to watch UConn play.
Nobody would televise UConn games nationally.
UConn would be at a recruiting disadvantage against everyone.
No bowl tie in.

Sure, UConn could negotiate a TV contract and keep all the money, but the contract would likely be small. UConn might not be able to get 6 home games a year and the home games that it does get might be against FBS and mid major schools. Even the mid majors might drive a hard bargain when it comes to scheduling.

We can argue about this forever, but right now the best option is the AAC for all sports. We have to hope for a lifeline to a P5 conference, until then UConn has to make it work in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Nope. I would stick around for awhile to see where the conference is heading. With us, Cincinnati, Memphis, SMU, and Temple (People forget the rich history of Temple basketball?), the league has the makings of being something really special. I would stick around for awhile.

I would stick around until a P5 conference calls. At least with the AAC we're stuck with some other schools that have aspirations of moving up. By contrast, most of the schools in the MAC seem happy to be where they are. I'd rather be with schools that want more. There is always the chance the AAC might evolve into a decent conference down the road.

Reaction Score

Doesn't matter what you're tired of - fact is football IS the reason. It drives the money train. And the joke that realignment has made into college hoops is just the residual effect.

ACC doesn't want us - they've made that abundantly clear in their actions. B1G is a longshot but it's our only & best hope down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom