If UConn really gets 20 million or more | Page 3 | The Boneyard

If UConn really gets 20 million or more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
you need to step back dude. you do realize you are posting on a uconn fan site and not the official uconn.edu site.
what is said here has little if any impact on reality. if you really think people here need to change and act like an adult, maybe its time you pulled your head out of your a-s-s, looked around, and realized you dont belong here.
pc has sucked for the better part of 30 years. dont come here to suggest anything different. thats why you need to stick to the friar board where you have your own reality.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is depressing to see Providence fans coming here and mocking our conference situation.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

Seriously? This is your position? Your school has been surviving by riding other school's coattails for years and you're going to criticize UConn for taking advantage of an opportunity your school has NEVER been able capitalize on? For real?

Reaction Score

Take your chill pills. no reason to bust an artery over this. Calm down.

UConn built more sweat equity into it than anyone. Not only winning more BE tourney and regular season championships, but also winning more NCAA credits than anyone and largely keeping the league alive after G'town became irrelevant. The BE was only a going concern for 33 years, and UConn only had a bad stretch of 6 years (it's first 3 years, UConn had winning and .500 records, look it up). Only Syracuse was more consistent, but not better. So of course UConn fans are making the case that they deserve the whole enchilada and that the C7 should get nothing (except the name).

Reaction Score
One thing that might be a big downer in all of this is if Aresco jacks up the exit fees. Right now they are $5 million. If he jacks it up to $10 million or more, he is an arse.

On the other hand, it may all be irrelevant anyway. If UConn gets a bid, I'd encourage them to pay the whole $20 million enchilada like WV did and leave ASAP.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Take your chill pills. no reason to bust an artery over this. Calm down.

UConn built more sweat equity into it than anyone. Not only winning more BE tourney and regular season championships, but also winning more NCAA credits than anyone and largely keeping the league alive after G'town became irrelevant. The BE was only a going concern for 33 years, and UConn only had a bad stretch of 6 years (it's first 3 years, UConn had winning and .500 records, look it up). Only Syracuse was more consistent, but not better. So of course UConn fans are making the case that they deserve the whole enchilada and that the C7 should get nothing (except the name).

The NCAA credits, certainly we earned far more than PC. But the brand name of the league? That was built more by Georgetown, St. Johns, Villanova and Syracuse than anyone. The Big East exploded on the scene and became a household name when UConn was a doormat in the league. Stop thinking about PC just because it is Friar J posting. Georgetown, Nova and St. Johns collectively have certainly done more to build the Big East than UConn has (Georgetown has 7 BE championships same as UConn). The early years of the league are more important, as that is when its claim to be a major conference was established. UConn, Syracuse and Pitt carried it for awhile. But Nova has been very good except in recent years.

That said, they are leaving, so they should pay. And they are. What the hell is this about? We come across as petty whiners here and need to put on our big boy pants and prepare to kick some butts in the league with no name.

Reaction Score
The most coherent post in this thread.

Not really. The F4 he referenced was 1985. UConn last won a championship 2 years ago. In other words, UConn was yesterday, the Catholic F4 was in the Jurassic period.

Reaction Score
The NCAA credits, certainly we earned far more than PC. But the brand name of the league? That was built more by Georgetown, St. Johns, Villanova and Syracuse than anyone. The Big East exploded on the scene and became a household name when UConn was a doormat in the league. Stop thinking about PC just because it is Friar J posting. Georgetown, Nova and St. Johns collectively have certainly done more to build the Big East than UConn has (Georgetown has 7 BE championships same as UConn). The early years of the league are more important, as that is when its claim to be a major conference was established. UConn, Syracuse and Pitt carried it for awhile. But Nova has been very good except in recent years.

That said, they are leaving, so they should pay. And they are. What the hell is this about? We come across as petty whiners here and need to put on our big boy pants and prepare to kick some butts in the league with no name.

You just ignored what I wrote. What doormat has a winning record? What doormat goes. 500? Go back and read what I wrote.

You are here waxing lyrical about a teeny short period between 1982-1985 when G'town was God. The early days lasted all of 5 years.

let me tell you, we would not be here today discussing the value of the BE if it were left up to the Catholics. The BE would be a blip on the screen of basketball history with hardly anyone thinking it was a big deal. G'town for instance went to 1 Final 8 from 1989 to 2007!!!!

Here's something else: the BE--during the entire period that UConn was carrying it and making sure it didn't fall off the face of the earth and become another A10 or worse--was being knocked in the media and hardly even considered a great bball conference. Let me tell you when the BE's rep really exploded: when Louisville, Cincy and Marquette were added. That's when the league's rep blew through the roof. Before that, it was all UConn and the others.

Reaction Score

And, by the way, UConn not only has had more NCAA success than Georgetown, but they have won more total titles than Georgetown, both regular season and tournament.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Deserve has nothing to do with it.

The question and ongoing arguments are about should UConn, Cincy, and USF as the only current full members of the BE release the NCAA credits, discount any contractual exit fees, allow departing teams to leave early, and/or sell the BE name and trademarks to the C-7?

The short answer is why should they?

The longer answer is "no," on the credits, "Hell no," on the exit fess, "What's it worth to you," on leaving early, and "I don't think so," on the trademarks"

Other than leaving early, which is a cash deal, someone needs to explain to me what these schools gain by giving up their assets for free or pennies on the dollar.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I don't take these boards too seriously. But, honestly, I'm in no mood and don't know why we are allowing this jackass to post here. PC must have a board somewhere where he can jerkoff.

Reaction Score
Deserve has nothing to do with it.

The question and ongoing arguments are about should UConn, Cincy, and USF as the only current full members of the BE release the NCAA credits, discount any contractual exit fees, allow departing teams to leave early, and/or sell the BE name and trademarks to the C-7?

The short answer is why should they?

The longer answer is "no," on the credits, "Hell no," on the exit fess, "What's it worth to you," on leaving early, and "I don't think so," on the trademarks"

Other than leaving early, which is a cash deal, someone needs to explain to me what these schools gain by giving up their assets for free or pennies on the dollar.

We're the ones discussing what's deserved or not. They are the ones hashing it out. At a minimum, UConn needs to get $20m out of this because of potential exit fees.

Reaction Score
Won more what? They've never been to the BCS and never been to the sweet 16. You're embarrassing yourself. Stop

They actually had an Elite 8 run in 1945. Last year at The Warde Breakfast Center, they outlined the "amazing" run in a video during halftime. I had courtside seats right behind Providence's althetic director and his guests. The athletic director was not there at the time, but I was certainly getting the attention of his guests. The student section was right behind us and during the presentation I had a converstation with one of them. I told them it was pretty impressive that they celebrate Elite 8 runs. I told him of the great stories of when we hang national championship banners and then move on to attempt and get more. Why didnt we do a 10 year celebration of the 99 victory?

The student quickly turned it into the UConn infractions deal and how we are cheaters.

Reaction Score
I appreciate the compliment. Screw USF too and all their hot chicks.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We're the ones discussing what's deserved or not. They are the ones hashing it out. At a minimum, UConn needs to get $20m out of this because of potential exit fees.

I know and I wish we would stop. That includes Aresco. The second they decided to leave he should stop advocating for them. (The remaining BE schools got him to sign a non-compete, right? No? WtF!!)

I am not up on what the total kitty of exit fees and credits are. I fully expect some would go to the departing schools to grease the skids on a deal. IMO it should be $1 more than the projected cost if them suing their way out early.

I am also sure we need to pay some of the incoming schools a token amount to help them up as a welcoming gift. Temple is owed some money too as a current FB member.

On the whole $20M seems light to me, especially if that includes the name, which I wouldn't sell anyway. Not selling MSG either, let MSG break the contract if they want the C-7 tourney.

If a smiling man stabs you in the back repeatedly, his smile does less and less to signal good intentions.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You just ignored what I wrote. What doormat has a winning record? What doormat goes. 500? Go back and read what I wrote.

You are here waxing lyrical about a teeny short period between 1982-1985 when G'town was God. The early days lasted all of 5 years.

let me tell you, we would not be here today discussing the value of the BE if it were left up to the Catholics. The BE would be a blip on the screen of basketball history with hardly anyone thinking it was a big deal. G'town for instance went to 1 Final 8 from 1989 to 2007!!!!

Here's something else: the BE--during the entire period that UConn was carrying it and making sure it didn't fall off the face of the earth and become another A10 or worse--was being knocked in the media and hardly even considered a great bball conference. Let me tell you when the BE's rep really exploded: when Louisville, Cincy and Marquette were added. That's when the league's rep blew through the roof. Before that, it was all UConn and the others.

This is total BS. The rep blew through the roof the year GTown, Nova and St, Johns all made the final four (never before done), and Nova won in that improbable upset over the defending champions. That season made the league. People here have very short memories. By my calculations, Georgetown won 44 NCAA games while in the BE and UConn won 48, Syracuse 45. The differences are not nearly as dramatic as is suggested (especially if you consider the expansion to 64 in 1985). Those three teams have been the best over the life of the league, also winning most (19) of the BET titles. Has UConn been the best of them all? Sure. But saying that any one school ever carried the Big East is ridiculous. Our first final four was 20 years after the league began, the name was pretty well established at that point.

Reaction Score
This is total BS. The rep blew through the roof the year GTown, Nova and St, Johns all made the final four (never before done), and Nova won in that improbable upset over the defending champions. That season made the league. People here have very short memories. By my calculations, Georgetown won 44 NCAA games while in the BE and UConn won 48, Syracuse 45. The differences are not nearly as dramatic as is suggested (especially if you consider the expansion to 64 in 1985). Those three teams have been the best over the life of the league, also winning most (19) of the BET titles. Has UConn been the best of them all? Sure. But saying that any one school ever carried the Big East is ridiculous. Our first final four was 20 years after the league began, the name was pretty well established at that point.

This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read on the Boneyard. Strawman after strawman.

After the mid 80s, Georgetown went to ONE Final 8 in 18 years. The league's rep would have been in absolute tatters were it not for UConn, and the truth is, it was in tatters. It was known as UConn, basically. You're singing the praise of a very brief span in the league. I do acknowledge that it had a huge rep in that span. BUT, when it did nothing for the next two decades outside of UConn, it lost that rep. We were all here. We saw it. BE was an afterthought to the SEC and ACC and B10 and B12. The BE would have been a blip in college basketball history.

Are you being serious by aggregating number of games won? I can't figure out if you're being serious.

Your post says absolutely nothing about National Championships. I'm going to state this but you may disagree: Championships are important.

Reaction Score
This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read on the Boneyard. Strawman after strawman.

After the mid 80s, Georgetown went to ONE Final 8 in 18 years. The league's rep would have been in absolute tatters were it not for UConn, and the truth is, it was in tatters. It was known as UConn, basically. You're singing the praise of a very brief span in the league. I do acknowledge that it had a huge rep in that span. BUT, when it did nothing for the next two decades outside of UConn, it lost that rep. We were all here. We saw it. BE was an afterthought to the SEC and ACC and B10 and B12. The BE would have been a blip in college basketball history.

Are you being serious by aggregating number of games won? I can't figure out if you're being serious.

Your post says absolutely nothing about National Championships. I'm going to state this but you may disagree: Championships are important.
How could he disagree? As a fryer he does not have a clue what winning a championship is like.

Reaction Score

You're the one with the huge mental problems born of envy.

You want to believe the BE was relevant post 1980s, but it wasn't. People made fun of the underperformance of the league up until 2003-2004. It was a joke. UConn was the only thing it had going for it. That's a fact it. It fell off drastically. We all heard it, we all knew it. You want to maintain it still had some glory, but the days were long gone. UConn carried it during that period. And the only thing that blew up its reputation to what it was say in 2011 were the 4 national championships during the prior 12 years and the addition of Louisville.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bballmicmac

Top Bottom