If Cincy were to leave...who would replace them??? | The Boneyard

If Cincy were to leave...who would replace them???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Cincy's new AD, Mike Bohn made no bones about wanting out of the American. It's been rumored that they will go to the Big 12, especially with Tuberville's connections as relationship does matter.
So if that happens and UCONN get left behind, then who replaces the Bearcats? The attached article puts UMASS, Southern Miss and Rice as candidates in that order. Thought it was a good read worth sharing.
Always optimistic for a call from the B1G or the ACC but if not the AAC has to grab the best team.
http://conferenceexpansion.com/2013/12/29/if-the-big-12-were-to-expand/

Reaction Score
Cincy's new AD, Mike Bohn made no bones about wanting out of the American. It's been rumored that they will go to the Big 12, especially with Tuberville's connections as relationship does matter.
So if that happens and UCONN get left behind, then who replaces the Bearcats? The attached article puts UMASS, Southern Miss and Rice as candidates in that order. Thought it was a good read worth sharing.
Always optimistic for a call from the B1G or the ACC but if not the AAC has to grab the best team.
http://conferenceexpansion.com/2013/12/29/if-the-big-12-were-to-expand/

Who gives a .

Reaction Score
Oh_Shit_Not_Again.jpg

How many times are we gonna do this??

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That 'article' was written by a crazy person.

Reaction Score
Who gives a .
I have followed the split of the Big East for several years through all of the nay sayers that chanted death with no hope. I grew tired of being laughed at and joked about by Cuse, Pitt, Rutgers, WVA and some Ville fans. Hoping UCONN fans can be a bit more supportive of our situation, knowing full well that a move up to a P5 is a possibility some time down the road. In the mean time, if Cincy were to leave, it is an important strategic decision to determine who would replace them.

This past year the AAC finished with a top ten football team in UCF and is about to send 5 teams to the Big dance in hoops. Like it or not, the AAC has assembled something that has a chance of making it. In fact the league is alive and moving forward in spite of the death rattles. UCF and USF total over 100,000 students in Florida. Houston, SMU and Tulane have all invested heavily in their facilities. East Carolina beat both NC and NC State last year and draw 50K per game. As Mike Aresco states as the conference gains more stature through winning and exposure the TV contract can be renegotiated.

With Whipple taking over UMASS if Cincy leaves and it looks like they could be the first to go, it would seem to be a natural partner for UCONN in the AAC. Don't forget UCONN football was no big thrilI ten years ago. I realize everyone including me wants a move up to the B1G or ACC but for now as Ward manual says, UCONN has to win in the AAC. Contingency planning is a reality in the business world.

Reactions: TKs
Reaction Score
I think that I spend more time wondering what will happen to the car in front of me should the Rapture immediately take place.

(and I try to drive behind luxury cars because my strategy is that their drivers are less likely be swooped up).

You are right...gotta have a plan, Stan.

Reaction Score
I think that I spend more time wondering what will happen to the car in front of me should the Rapture immediately take place.

(and I try to drive behind luxury cars because my strategy is that their drivers are less likely be swooped up).

Get Lost

Reaction Score
Get Lost

Don't you think that the conference has contingency plans in place for any needed replacement?

I do. And I do not think that they are based on any one school leaving but are more general.

My humor may not humor you...mea culpa.

Reaction Score
The plan is to replace Cincy with the fetid s**tpile that smells the least like liquid garbage. That is going to be hard to find, and I can't waste the brain cells contemplating which run-down swill it will be.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't know where they're going, but I'll guess that they simply will not replace them.

Or they'll invite one of New York's College Teams, Buffalo.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
We're so uninvested in this conference, at this point who really cares. It might as well be UMass, we get bus trips out of it.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I say go for the gusto. Start with Notre Dame, Texas, and Alabama. Once they accept, make a west coast push and take USC, Oregon, and UCLA. We should probably work to block BC out though because we want to be the AAC's New England team. And definitely not LCC - we all have to remember that this is collegiate athletics and the AAC does not compromise the academic side.

Reaction Score
Why would the big 12 pick Cincinnati over UCONN? If Fox is driving their bus they might want to pick the BIGger APPLE.

Fox owns YES so how about one November B12 UCONN home game in Yankee Stadium every other year.

YES network and Fox..... there might be some interest in UCONN there.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I notice that you have no illusions of going anywhere. ;)

Agree that there is no point in spending much time thinking about it, but that doesn't stop me from getting a little nauseous when someone else brings it up.

Reaction Score
I notice that you have no illusions of going anywhere. ;)

Agree that there is no point in spending much time thinking about it, but that doesn't stop me from getting a little nauseous when someone else brings it up.
It's also nauseating to read from some who act like spoiled children wanting and needing instant gratification. Navy is fine with the AAC because they know they have a chance to win. I don't have a problem with Ville getting selected before UCONN. UCONN and Cincy are next in line. Bob Diaco chose to come to UCONN Because of the potential. He has a better chance to dominate in the AAC. No one thought that SMU would be as good as they have been in hoops. I am interested in seeing how Rutgers does next year in the B1G. For now I would rather be a big fish In a small pond, rather than the opposite.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You'd rather be in this conference?

Reaction Score
You'd rather be in this conference?
No but aside from the money which is a huge factor, this league has relevance. Apparently Tommy Tuberville thought so. Cincinnati is a dominant team in the American for now. Maybe I am an old fart but everything has a process. That's where those old sayings come from like "Rome wasn't built in a day" and " Patience is a virtue". There will always be things in life that we desire and can't have at the snap of our fingers. Knowing that is called maturity. As long as there are long term goals, being happy with what you have (things could always be worse) and looking at the brighter side vs. being disgruntled and sad seems like a better formula for happiness to me. Remember the song, You gotta love the one your with? I have confidence that at some point UCONN is going to be asked to play in the Big Sandbox and I believe the amazing success of the UCONN women winning their 9th and perhaps 10th National Championship will be a huge reason that will increase our demand. Of course the successful jobs that Kevin Ollie and Bob Diaco do respectively will be huge as well. Hang in there! Remember Alex Ahente, "There shall be no wine, before it's time"

Reaction Score
It's also nauseating to read from some who act like spoiled children wanting and needing instant gratification. Navy is fine with the AAC because they know they have a chance to win. I don't have a problem with Ville getting selected before UCONN. UCONN and Cincy are next in line. Bob Diaco chose to come to UCONN Because of the potential. He has a better chance to dominate in the AAC. No one thought that SMU would be as good as they have been in hoops. I am interested in seeing how Rutgers does next year in the B1G. For now I would rather be a big fish In a small pond, rather than the opposite.
" How would RU do in the B1G next yr?" ...Normally I would have figured somewhere in the middle(between Iowa/Illin?) in CFB but its looking like KF is a trainwreck as a HC and has managed to undo in 2 yrs what Shady built in 11 yrs !! I know behind the scenes they made a few inquiries but maintained the status quo until next year so 4 wins maybe 5 with luck including OOC is the best I can rationally envision unless I'm off target concerning the "Flood". I wonder if RU will spend what they may need too?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
No but aside from the money which is a huge factor, this league has relevance. Apparently Tommy Tuberville thought so. Cincinnati is a dominant team in the American for now. Maybe I am an old fart but everything has a process. That's where those old sayings come from like "Rome wasn't built in a day" and " Patience is a virtue". There will always be things in life that we desire and can't have at the snap of our fingers. Knowing that is called maturity. As long as there are long term goals, being happy with what you have (things could always be worse) and looking at the brighter side vs. being disgruntled and sad seems like a better formula for happiness to me. Remember the song, You gotta love the one your with? I have confidence that at some point UCONN is going to be asked to play in the Big Sandbox and I believe the amazing success of the UCONN women winning their 9th and perhaps 10th National Championship will be a huge reason that will increase our demand. Of course the successful jobs that Kevin Ollie and Bob Diaco do respectively will be huge as well. Hang in there! Remember Alex Ahente, "There shall be no wine, before it's time"
The value of multiple championships in men's and especially women's basketball has been demonstrated. All of our time, energy and money should have been spent on football recruiting, coaching and expanding the stadium for a non-existent season ticket waiting list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom