If Cincy were to leave...who would replace them??? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If Cincy were to leave...who would replace them???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why would the big 12 pick Cincinnati over UCONN? If Fox is driving their bus they might want to pick the BIGger APPLE.

Fox owns YES so how about one November B12 UCONN home game in Yankee Stadium every other year.

YES network and Fox..... there might be some interest in UCONN there.
You make a good point but here might be some reasons why Cincy gets the nod:
1. Football drives the bus - Cincy > than UCONN in football
2. Better travel partner for WVA
3. Tommy Tuberville

Let Cincy go to the Big 12. I would rather be in the B1G. Or ACC anyway.

Reaction Score
The value of multiple championships in men's and especially women's basketball has been demonstrated. All of our time, energy and money should have been spent on football recruiting, coaching and expanding the stadium for a non-existent season ticket waiting list.
Agreed. Bob Diaco and staff's ability to successfully recruit in NJ will be critical! Remember he is a good lookin "Jersey Boy"

Reaction Score
" How would RU do in the B1G next yr?" ...Normally I would have figured somewhere in the middle(between Iowa/Illin?) in CFB but its looking like KF is a trainwreck as a HC and has managed to undo in 2 yrs what Shady built in 11 yrs !! I know behind the scenes they made a few inquiries but maintained the status quo until next year so 4 wins maybe 5 with luck including OOC is the best I can rationally envision unless I'm off target concerning the "Flood". I wonder if RU will spend what they may need too?
Seems like a realistic assessment. Rutgers is at UCONN's level. Ultimately what kills the lesser teams is the lack of depth. Rutgers will have a problem with that in the beginning.

Reaction Score
Seems like a realistic assessment. Rutgers is at UCONN's level. Ultimately what kills the lesser teams is the lack of depth. Rutgers will have a problem with that in the beginning.
Agree that was my point. RU may have gotten more glitz and higher ranked players but failed to get the most out of them and UConn seemed to play at a higher level despite the perceived shortage of talent though if you know me I'm a RU fan who thinks UConn got effed so far in CR and ain't happy about it!!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The value of multiple championships in men's and especially women's basketball has been demonstrated. All of our time, energy and money should have been spent on football recruiting, coaching and expanding the stadium for a non-existent season ticket waiting list.

Football might is exactly why Rutgers and Maryland were invited to the Big 10 and UConn was not. Right.

UConn got outsold. The spot was there for the taking, twice, and UConn couldn't close the deal. The ACC took Pitt and Syracuse teams from dying markets and a community college from Kentucky over UConn. Think about that for a while.

Reaction Score
When they were picking schools to add, UConn likely wasn't picked over Rutgers for several reasons.

First, Rutgers is in the NYC market and has demonstrated they are the top draw in NYC for college football.
Second, Rutgers is in the AAU
Third, they have a very large student body -more than 65,000 students which better fits the Big 10 model
Fourth, the State of NJ is larger than the state of Connecticut and has more div 1 recruits that are sought after by major schools
Fifth, in addition to the NYC tv market, Rutgers also has some exposure in the Philadelphia tv market which helps the BTN in efforts to get more money from that market.
Sixth, UConn is a relatively new top level football school whereas RU was the first to play football.

As far as Louisville to the ACC, UConn was coming off a bad performance in the Fiesta, the loss of a coach and a downward trend, while UL had the best year it had had ever in athletics. Plus, politics got involved with BC blocking the move.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Football might is exactly why Rutgers and Maryland were invited to the Big 10 and UConn was not. Right.

UConn got outsold. The spot was there for the taking, twice, and UConn couldn't close the deal. The ACC took Pitt and Syracuse teams from dying markets and a community college from Kentucky over UConn. Think about that for a while.
We were never in the mix for the Big 10. I agree we got outsold on the perceived value of football over UL and the others. We were in a death match with UL except we didn't recognize it at the time, probably coasting because UL was such an academic outlier choosing them was previously inconceivable.

Reaction Score
Rutgers and Maryland being AAU schools was a driving force. Also Rutgers is a more natural NY market. The precedent has already been established with the Jets and Giants. College football also started at Rutgers. Maryland was a little more surprising, especially because of the exit fees. Despite the past 3 years UCONN has been very successful but the newness to D1 and lack of football tradition has hurt us.
UCONN is close to gaining acceptance into the AAU. When that happens it will only aid in our quest to be invited to the B1G.

Reaction Score
When they were picking schools to add, UConn likely wasn't picked over Rutgers for several reasons.

First, Rutgers is in the NYC market and has demonstrated they are the top draw in NYC for college football.
Second, Rutgers is in the AAU
Third, they have a very large student body -more than 65,000 students which better fits the Big 10 model
Fourth, the State of NJ is larger than the state of Connecticut and has more div 1 recruits that are sought after by major schools
Fifth, in addition to the NYC tv market, Rutgers also has some exposure in the Philadelphia tv market which helps the BTN in efforts to get more money from that market.
Sixth, UConn is a relatively new top level football school whereas RU was the first to play football.

As far as Louisville to the ACC, UConn was coming off a bad performance in the Fiesta, the loss of a coach and a downward trend, while UL had the best year it had had ever in athletics. Plus, politics got involved with BC blocking the move.
I agree and I am from CT . Guess we were writing at the same time.

Reaction Score

Over simplification. TV controls the game now. I hate Syracuse but they have been #1 in Bball most of the year. Also Cuse football has sucked, really sucked for the past ten years but they have Jim Brown and a lot of tradition. Pitt too has a richer football past. From what I have read FSU and Clemson wanted Ville over UCONN.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Oh, you are just full of stupid, ain't you?

Nobody freaking knew that the ACC was moving on Syracuse and Pittsburgh until it was a done deal and the ACC took Louisville because they're better at football. And some of the community colleges in the ACC kinda like the company.

Any other spin is idiocy.

Reaction Score
FSU might have even thought that Louisville's not having a stellar academic rating might be a good thing.

More separation from the UNC, Duke, Wake, Virginia crowd.

Louisville was picked up in the middle of a change of guard rebellion in the ACC.

And, if it means anything to the increased media money, Louisville has been ESPN's leading metered market for the past ten years.

Reaction Score
Louisville was clearly an act of desperation in the ACC. It's not anywhere near the Atlantic coast and its academics aren't anywhere near where the ACC previously claimed as its threshold for admittance. Another sign of abrubt decisions from that conference that illustrate clearly how unstable the league is.

Reaction Score
Fishy posted:

the ACC took Louisville because they're better at football. And some of the community colleges in the ACC kinda like the company.

Kook translation:

"Another sign of abrupt decisions from that conference that illustrate clearly how unstable the league is."

Reaction Score
Fishy posted:

the ACC took Louisville because they're better at football. And some of the community colleges in the ACC kinda like the company.

Kook translation:

"Another sign of abrupt decisions from that conference that illustrate clearly how unstable the league is."
Talking about kook's maybe you remember the original Ed "Kookie" Burn's and combing his hair back in his Corvette with his vitalis dripping comb? "Kookie, Kookie lend me your comb" on "Rt.66".

Reaction Score
Fishy posted:

Kook translation:

Well let's see. Pretty much any normal person can go back and look at the abrubt course change the ACC made in adding Louisville-who didn't meet criteria they previously claimed for admission until-uh, well, until they suddenly had to add someone because they were losing a school.

ACC SPIN demonstrating ACC fan idiocy: UL was added "because they are better at football" based on the fact that in the season they were adding they were having a good year. One good year.

Not surprising since ACC types can't deal with reality. Better to rewrite history after the fact and then play childish name-calling games. LOL!

Reaction Score
Well let's see. Pretty much any normal person can go back and look at the abrubt course change the ACC made in adding Louisville-who didn't meet criteria they previously claimed for admission until-uh, well, until they suddenly had to add someone because they were losing a school.

ACC SPIN demonstrating ACC fan idiocy: UL was added "because they are better at football" based on the fact that in the season they were adding they were having a good year. One good year.

Not surprising since ACC types can't deal with reality. Better to rewrite history after the fact and then play childish name-calling games. LOL!
Keep you're chin up Buck I sense your getting some ACC backlash from a lot of us old BE guys who always seemed to be on the defensive and I don't see why anyone here would defend the indefensible(ACC) but I admire you're loyalty to you're conference.These ACC guys seemed to show up here out of nowhere when their was a lot of anti ACC feeling here in the NE as though it was a coordinated effort to stem the animosity? I've seen similar moves on other boards too and watch very closely. I wondered why their conference would need to patch PR but isnt it obvious? Then again I've always had a suspicious nature....maybe their just curious but innocuous visitor's here ?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nicky...I do indeed remember Sunset Strip...and Kookie and his comb.

Brylcreem:

"a little dab will do ya, use more only if you dare. The girls will all pursue ya..to get their fingers in your hair.?

Reaction Score
I'm glad thats what you replied too. After thinking my suspicious nature was unfounded it would have been aroused again.

Reaction Score
Cincy's new AD, Mike Bohn made no bones about wanting out of the American. It's been rumored that they will go to the Big 12, especially with Tuberville's connections as relationship does matter.
So if that happens and UCONN get left behind, then who replaces the Bearcats? The attached article puts UMASS, Southern Miss and Rice as candidates in that order. Thought it was a good read worth sharing.
Always optimistic for a call from the B1G or the ACC but if not the AAC has to grab the best team.
http://conferenceexpansion.com/2013/12/29/if-the-big-12-were-to-expand/

UMass, Southern Mississippi, and Rice are candidates. Others could include Florida International, Old Dominion, Middle Tennessee State, Louisiana Tech, UAB, SUNY Buffalo, and Marshall. It's basically pulling from the C-USA, MAC, or Sunbelt.

UMass, Middle Tennessee State, and Old Dominion are stronger basketball. FIU, Louisiana Tech, and Southern Miss are the better football.

None of these are going to be terribly attractive to UConn. But I think UConn will be in the ACC or Big Ten eventually anyway. So then it becomes what fits best for the AAC long term. With UConn and Cincinnati gone, the league will have shifted more south and west geographically. So one or some of these southern options might be best geographically. The league center could move to Memphis.

Reaction Score
UMass, Southern Mississippi, and Rice are candidates. Others could include Florida International, Old Dominion, Middle Tennessee State, Louisiana Tech, UAB, SUNY Buffalo, and Marshall. It's basically pulling from the C-USA, MAC, or Sunbelt.

UMass, Middle Tennessee State, and Old Dominion are stronger basketball. FIU, Louisiana Tech, and Southern Miss are the better football.

None of these are going to be terribly attractive to UConn. But I think UConn will be in the ACC or Big Ten eventually anyway. So then it becomes what fits best for the AAC long term. With UConn and Cincinnati gone, the league will have shifted more south and west geographically. So one or some of these southern options might be best geographically. The league center could move to Memphis.
Makes sense stimpy but wouldn't UMass be a better all around fit(after UConn's gone) given that their would be a major geographic hole in the NE plus as a state school have more resourses to offer? Otherwise SMiss makes the most sense to me.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

If UConn doesn't leave and the replacements are the schools you are listing, you can just gash me in the eyes with the cavalier's sword. I wouldn't wanna watch this conference anymore. (Not that I really care to now.)

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
If Cinci leaves I think we give up on the idea of a championship and throw out Tulsa and Tulane. On a per school basis, UCF/USF/SMU/Houston/Memph/ECU/Temple/UConn has to be worth more than those schools plus Tulsa/Tulane/miscellaneous-crappy-school-listed above. And if that isn't an option, then I really don't see any other option than Indy football, Big East (Fox will be happy to add us to the contract sports) and Hockey East.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
F, I'd rather just keep costs down and play in the NESCAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads