I don't get this UConn entitlement ... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I don't get this UConn entitlement ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just to show you what our new partners are starting to do in light of our new partnership. Here is what a quick google search provided me just now, in terms of some of our newest members pumping in more money to upgrade their facilities in light of joining the Big East:

http://www.smumustangs.com/genrel/061110aaa.html

http://www.chron.com/sports/cougars/article/UH-ups-the-sports-ante-by-160-million-1708595.php

http://blogs.commercialappeal.com/t...g-tour-blossoms-into-an-rc-farewell-bash.html

http://news.boisestate.edu/update/2...pledge-5-million-to-bronco-stadium-expansion/

That is four of the new members, and I'm sure that more of the new members are doing the exact same thing. Let's at least respect the fact that they are also trying to better themselves, and by default, the conference, before we crap all over them.

End of that Houston Article hits directly on your point that some seem to be missing.

"...Nantz calls the university, which is making a push for Tier One status academically and athletically, “an unpolished gem,” adding, “It's time we shine a light on it.”

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Um, you linked to a June 2010 article where SMU is getting a new video board - has nothing to do with the Big East and who cares.

Houston's article is also from June 2010 - they are probably the best of the additions - light years better than Memphis for example. Do you have the link where they actually get $115 for the naming rights on their stadiums (since that is what pays for it)? 55 million for the ancillary naming rights to their football stadium seems a bit aggressive.

Boise certainly wins football games - it's easier to look the other way that the reason they win some of those games is because they admit students who can't qualify at Pac-12 schools. There is no way they can work out in the long run because the geography is ridiculous. I've been to Boise and a few other cities in Idaho... it might as well be on the dark side of the moon. When they stop winning like they have recently - and that will happen - what sense will they make?

As for Memphis, you should post the article that talks about them being happy with something like $8 million in a TV contract. The numbers this league will generate might sound great for Memphis, but they are a death sentence for UConn.

You're right, buddy! We should say f#$k it and just go independent. I mean, these teams could stop winning any time now, and we aren't sure that they will follow through with their upgrades, and they might not be as good as we are academically. Just f$%k 'em! Independence, here we come!! :eek::confused:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're right, buddy! We should say f#$k it and just go independent. I mean, these teams could stop winning any time now, and we aren't sure that they will follow through with their upgrades, and they might not be as good as we are academically. Just f$%k 'em! Independence, here we come!! :eek::confused:

No, they should be more selective in who they add and avoid schools like Temple and Memphis. Reality has left no choice with schools like Houston, SMU and UCF.

Should I ignore that Houston's facility upgrade is funded with monopoly money, or should I just pretend if they announce they are going to get $110 million dollars for their stadium naming rights they will?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
End of that Houston Article hits directly on your point that some seem to be missing.

"...Nantz calls the university, which is making a push for Tier One status academically and athletically, “an unpolished gem,” adding, “It's time we shine a light on it.”

LOL - an alumnus thinks the school is an unpolished gem - yes, that's an unbiased opinion. Every ugly baby in the world has a mother who thinks it's beautiful too.

I'm pretty sure the fact they are paying for a $160 million dollar project with $110 million in stadium naming rights is a bit more important to the issues at hand.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
No, they should be more selective in who they add and avoid schools like Temple and Memphis. Reality has left no choice with schools like Houston, SMU and UCF.

Should I ignore that Houston's facility upgrade is funded with monopoly money, or should I just pretend if they announce they are going to get $110 million dollars for their stadium naming rights they will?

So you are saying that all of your angst in your last 6 posts has been due to the fact that Houston's upgrades (which you probably just found out about today in my post) might not come through? Okay. Thanks. Just wanted to make sure that your arguments have been based on reality.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
This thread has thoroughly made me tired. I will defer to all the others on the board who wish to add to the fruitful discussion.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So you are saying that all of your angst in your last 6 posts has been due to the fact that Houston's upgrades (which you probably just found out about today in my post) might not come through? Okay. Thanks. Just wanted to make sure that your arguments have been based on reality.

I have had little problem with Houston all along, remember this started as a discussion about Fresno and UNLV. I'm quite familiar with what Houston is proposing, and they claim to be breaking ground in December, but haven't raised the money or sold the stadium naming rights.

The Houston Dynamo got $20 million for 10 years. University of North Texas got $20 for 20 years. Houston's proposal was to get $85 million total.

I don't buy into things on spec, sorry if that is tiring for you - but I believe things when they happen, not when someone dreams of them.

Reaction Score
LOL - an alumnus thinks the school is an unpolished gem - yes, that's an unbiased opinion. Every ugly baby in the world has a mother who thinks it's beautiful too.

I'm pretty sure the fact they are paying for a $160 million dollar project with $110 million in stadium naming rights is a bit more important to the issues at hand.

Read the bold and underlined part, see I did that to get your attention and you still missed it, that part wasn't from Nantz just a point of the upgrades the school is attempting. Seeing that you have a problem with Memphis, go out on a limb and name someone they should have went after instead?
The naming rights was the only aspect they discussed, they did mention that now is the time to raise the money, they focused on that one aspect of how they could raise the money, albeit a big aspect, but still only one, and as you pointed out this article was writen 2 years ago, many things could have happened by now, and I'm sure the leadership at that school is just as smart as you. If indeed it is a "fact" that they are paying $110 mil for the project with naming rights fees then I guess they were pretty successful huh!
Seriously, your concern over how they pay for the upgrades, that they clearly want to make (believe it or not getting that commitment ok'd by the powers is a huge step), is nearly as dumb as the who your child hangs with analogy.

Reaction Score
I have had little problem with Houston all along, remember this started as a discussion about Fresno and UNLV. I'm quite familiar with what Houston is proposing, and they claim to be breaking ground in December, but haven't raised the money or sold the stadium naming rights.

The Houston Dynamo got $20 million for 10 years. University of North Texas got $20 for 20 years. Houston's proposal was to get $85 million total.

I don't buy into things on spec, sorry if that is tiring for you - but I believe things when they happen, not when someone dreams of them.

well if they broke ground they have money somewhere right? We don't have all the money for the basketball facilities yet either but we are starting with the hopes of getting it all. gotta go watch ray allen play the heat have a ball in your half empty glass

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Read the bold and underlined part, see I did that to get your attention and you still missed it, that part wasn't from Nantz just a point of the upgrades the school is attempting. Seeing that you have a problem with Memphis, go out on a limb and name someone they should have went after instead?
The naming rights was the only aspect they discussed, they did mention that now is the time to raise the money, they focused on that one aspect of how they could raise the money, albeit a big aspect, but still only one, and as you pointed out this article was writen 2 years ago, many things could have happened by now, and I'm sure the leadership at that school is just as smart as you. If indeed it is a "fact" that they are paying $110 mil for the project with naming rights fees then I guess they were pretty successful huh!
Seriously, your concern over how they pay for the upgrades, that they clearly want to make (believe it or not getting that commitment ok'd by the powers is a huge step), is nearly as dumb as the who your child hangs with analogy.

Maybe you should read the articles.

If they say they are paying for a $160 million dollar upgrade with $110 million in stadium naming rights, but never actually sell the rights... do you think the stadium builds itself?

If they have managed to be 'successful' in selling the naming rights, they did a nice job not making it public. UNT and MLS have sold rights in the area since 2010 and those articles are quite easy to find.

As for Memphis the answer is simple: The league has more teams than it needs already, they didn't need to add anyone. I'm pretty sure 19 was more than enough.

As for Temple being invited for reasons other than to fill out the 2012 schedule... yes, anytime you can land on 13 members in your football conference you have to take it.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The adds that made sense to me were:

All sports: Central Florida, SMU and Houston.
Football only: Boise State and Navy.

I don't care what Boise State says about needing a western partner - even a crappy BE TV deal would still be way more than they got from the Mountain West.

Playing San Diego State once a year, in one sport would not have been a deal breaker. I would have also pushed for Boise State to have been invited this season instead of Temple. Should have used the WVU buyout money to make it happen instead of inviting Temple.

Memphis football is just a disgrace in terms on the field and attendance. Temple has had decent teams, beating us and playing us tight, but have you seen pictures of their stadium on game day? It's a ghost town. Both we're reactionary moves that do absolutely nothing in terms of on the field product or national perception. In fact, they make our conference an even bigger joke.

10 team BE Football: UConn, Rutgers, Cincy, Louisville, USF, UCF, SMU, Houston, Boise State, Navy.

Sure, no conference championship game - but we would have had a round robin schedule and eliminated 3 programs that are seen as national jokes. Unless a network said add whoever to get to 12+ than I think it was ill informed decision.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The Big East has been adding teams to try and survive, not because they are teams that we aspired to associate with. That's not entitlement. Wanting to associate with the best is healthy. Sadly, options are limited at this time. So we piss and moan. But it's not entitlement to wish for something better. Yes, in the meantime, we have to just suck it up and make the best of things.

Reaction Score
Nothing against the students who go to SMU, Memphis, or Boise, but they are a completely different profile of student, from a completely different region of the country, at a university that has a fundamentally different academic mission than UConn. If you ask if I support those institutions aspirations to improve academically, I say of course. But let's not kid ourselves, these schools are a tier below the Cincy's and USF's and Louisvilles, who are in turn a tier below the UNC's and UVa's. The NNBE schools might have a chance at improving their rankings (or even just the quality of education) but it just takes much longer to improve on a university-wise scale, compared to improving a single athletic team, or a single academic department.

SMU is ranked 62 and UConn is 58 in USN&WR. SMU also has over a billion dollar endowment. Memphis and Boise aren't that strong academically but SMU is already ahead of Louisville, Cincy, USF, and even Rutgers who is actually 68.

Reaction Score
Btw, I never said anything about SMU being a bad fit. If we wanted mediocre at best sports and good academics, I would have taken the likes of Tulane or Rice over Memphis, which has the widest acheivement gap in many respects. Instead we elected to listen to the basketball-centric people. I like SMU and their addition was one I strongly agreed with given the limited selection. I think they value the education and have a deep commitment to doing things right after a haunted past. They were probably my second favorite add after BSU, and I thought Navy and Air Force would be a great package deal. I'm really hoping my prediction comes true someday.

Reaction Score
I guess I'm dumb. I have NO idea what that phrase means.

Trying to promote the BE Conference is like trying to "make a silk purse out of a sow's ear".

An agrarian phrase. My bad.

Reaction Score
Trying to promote the BE Conference is like trying to "make a silk purse out of a sow's ear".

No kidding. Sad . . . when UConn was trying to sell the jump to D1, it was the vision of playing the Miami's, Virginia Tech, Syracuse, West Virginia and yes, BCU in the Big East. It definitely wasn't the "dream" of playing San Diego State, Memphis and Temple. Please, give me a break. Right now UConn's best hope is to find a seat at the ACC table. Forget the BiG 10, ain't gonna happen.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You should get to work on filling Rentschler, we'll need the help when our fans prefer a home game against Bowling Green to playing Michigan at a neutral site.

Neutral site for a previously agreed-to home game, you mean. Of course, that clarification doesn't advance your argument. Your way reeks of desperation and a lack of self-respect.

Reaction Score
Neutral site for a previously agreed-to home game, you mean. Of course, that clarification doesn't advance your argument. Your way reeks of desperation and a lack of self-respect.
I agree, once uv set that course, the big time schools will know they've had their way with you and try leveraging anything after THAT happens..... The way we got this home and home in the first place was off of a Bball series, and Texas wanted in as well. Edsall refused saying we weren't quite ready for Texas, I agree. Like Hathoway or not, he stood up to ND and Mich, and I'd rather grind it out and slowly improve our schedule due to hard work than just going for the quick fix and caving to these programs while pissing away our dignity along the way.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Seriously I can understand the Memphis argument... but Temple does make sense. It's an easy travel... it's decent academically... and is in a huge market. Temple is no longer the laughing stock it once was. It's low risk with the potential for high reward.

I personally wouldn't have chosen Memphis, but I can see how it looked on the spreadsheet. Okay basketball... football has been okay in the past... fairly large market... some national recognition... built in bowl game.... and this all came down to the spreadsheet.

That all being said I agree with Pudge here. I mean we can argue the merits of the individual schools... but it doesn't really matter that much. I think the plan was to act fast, add as many competitive programs as possible, and try to retain a seat at the "Adults' Table."

It's very much a beggars can't be choosers situation... and you can complain all you want about the company we are keeping... but there's really not too much choice in the situation. It looks to me that it's almost purely about market size with the exception of Boise because they've got a top 10 program even though they are in a small market.

Reaction Score
... and I am certain we have all been through this last 15 years ride.

How can we disrespect Temple OR Memphis? I think fundamentally WE are missing the Value Add market piece that someone is leading the BE guys towards. YES ... I don't think Marinatto was just out on a fishing expedition. He was directed ... over & over ... to certain programs. Odjakian was a ESPN programmer. NBC & FOX have been integral in how this has advanced. UConn is NOT Syracuse or Pitt. We lack the branding or the cache to have advanced. But ... all this will change. I am NOT indifferent to whether we go ACC or stay. But, what alternatives do we control?

Bitch about Academics? Really. Can we sit here and just batter a Memphis or a Louisville? I am very proud of the progress that the University of Connecticut made as an academic institution & where it has become the top NE Public. But, I also see clearly the ability for many of our Peer institutions to make that climb as well. If the Penn States or the Auburns fail to climb & USF becomes a top University in nationally, I think we can point to the same dynamics. This is about Sport &, while I am glad that Navy will be in, I expect everyone to strive for something better in their institution. We aren't the Ivy; but, we want to be with Schools that are getting better.

UNLV? Fresno? Both, frankly, can rise significantly higher than their current status. That UNLV article has a MAJOR California developer (the key player in Staples & one of the key players in the return of the NFL to LA) building a 52000 state-of-the-art Stadium. Ummm ... what would Villanova give for that? Or a bunch of other Programs? You guys want UMASS? Make the case over a Program with a couple hundred million dollar brand new stadium in a growing market. I am a UCLA alum & can tell you that ONLY Fresno matched Nebraska in traveling fanbases on the West Coast to the Rose Bowl regular season games; they were an incredible group. We need regionals; but, we need strength of the eyeballs & buzz. Fans that care.

It bears stating again: Pitt = Underachieved since 2003. Syracuse = Underachieved since 2003. We have had momentum as a Program; we need PP to have a great advancing program this year.

The game that an undefeated Fresno team played in the Coloseum againt Reggie Bush led USC a few years ago was one of the great efforts I have ever seen by a visiting fanbase in a college football game. Just to give credit where it is due.

Reaction Score
Um, you linked to a June 2010 article where SMU is getting a new video board - has nothing to do with the Big East and who cares.

Houston's article is also from June 2010 - they are probably the best of the additions - light years better than Memphis for example. Do you have the link where they actually get $115 for the naming rights on their stadiums (since that is what pays for it)? 55 million for the ancillary naming rights to their football stadium seems a bit aggressive.

Boise certainly wins football games - it's easier to look the other way that the reason they win some of those games is because they admit students who can't qualify at Pac-12 schools. There is no way they can work out in the long run because the geography is ridiculous. I've been to Boise and a few other cities in Idaho... it might as well be on the dark side of the moon. When they stop winning like they have recently - and that will happen - what sense will they make?

As for Memphis, you should post the article that talks about them being happy with something like $8 million in a TV contract. The numbers this league will generate might sound great for Memphis, but they are a death sentence for UConn.

Save your energy arguing w/ this guy people. Not worth it. I can only imagine what real life is like, unless he's actually here for a purposeful reason. And as the days go by, I wonder what the hell the guy is really doing here.

Memphis, has the full support and finanical resources of Fred Smith's company, they've been waiting in Memphis for a while, to have a reason to invest. THe Big East. THey were the prime example in the past 8 months, of what it means in the current big east to establish trust, loyalty and security of information among conference members and I'm not going to go into why I write that. On May 1, 2012 FedEx delivered a $2.5 million dollar check to Shirley Raines, to upgrade the video and electronic systems at the Liberty Bowl, and there's no hint that it's going to stop there.

Houston, is full go, in construction of a BRAND NEW football practice and training facility, as well as a brand new stadium. The Robertson renovation plan, was scrapped, and demolition is set to begin after the 2012 season, the cougars are lined up to play their 2013 home games in Reliant, and then have the new stadium ready for opening day in 2014.

Houston, as far as I can tell, appears to be following the UConn facilities and infrastructure plan like a road map.

Southern Methodist? The concept of playing football again, at the level they were dropped out of when the Big 8 folded, has got them salivating down there. Just got to make sure they don't go to the darkside.......I can't wait to match up with that program again.

You can go on and on down the line.

THe Big EAst is our home, and Pudge is exactly right. We owe every thing we are right now in 2012, as compared to URI, and UNH, and UMass (who's trying) and UMaine...etc.. as a university, to the Big East conference. The only time UConn has not been 100% loyal as far as I can tell, was in fall 2011, after being lied to not once but TWICE by other conference presidents and officials - face to face.

That kind of thing, when workign with things the scale of state universities.....will make you question your organizational structure and search out your best options.

The best things for UConn moving forward, in athletic business, are to maintain our ownership of our own market in athletics, and that's southern New England from the Boston and the tri-state NYC metropolitan areas, maintain allegiance to whatever athletic conference also maintains the northeast USA corridor footprint. THat means the Big East. The ACC doesn't deliver it. Check.

What the conference movement has done, is make our scheduling so much more important. We need a very pro-active, adn aggressive athletic director that's experienced in helping an athletic department maintain an upward growth curve through scheduling and athletic department alliances. Enter Michigan product, via Buffalo, Warde Manuel. Check.

Next, we need to continue to recruit, recruit, recruit, recruit, and then recruit some more the best students and athletes in our region, and in all the regions that our sports extend into. For ALL sports. Constantly trying to land a better recruit than before. And doing it the right way. Check.

Lastly - we need to go out and win the games.

Coach P had a losing season in 2011. I think it was only his third or fourth losing season in 20+ years of head coaching. He was damn close to having a winning season, and a little bit more time, to learn the players tendencies and skill levels, prior to September 2011, we probably do finish on the plus side of .500 in 2011. But that's hindsight.

I fully expect a winning season in 2012, I expect a title run in 2012, and I fully expect to be challenging regularly for titles every year by 2013 and crackign the top 25 regularly.

Those are the goals, as far as I"m concerned.

The big east conference in 2012 and moving forward, has changed dramatically. THere is no northeastern all sports intercollegiate league, because of the Big East. Learn to accept it, learn to accept that our place IS the Big East, adn it's a national brand now, and you'll see where we're going, and that the future is very bright.

This conference, is the largest intercollegiate conference in the United States, and represents the largest media footprint in the country. Guys like Neinas beating their chest that the big east doesn't matter, is just waht it is, an old guy beating his chest.

Sooner or later, this month, news will come out about the college football post season, and we'll see what the reality of the matter is. Just like in the fall, we'll see what the reality of the Big EAst conference value is.

Reaction Score
Just in case your wondering, the main video board going in at Liberty Bowl, will be one of the largest in the country. For those that have actually been to Rentschler field, our main board is 32ft x 24ft. The Memphis board will be 100x50, and I think only Texas and ARkansas wil have college stadiume dedicated video boards larger. (not also NFL venues....)

They'll hav ea second board about our size in the opposite endzone. That's just one step in the investment in Memphis University that the Big East conference has brought them. Academics will follow, with increased applications.

That's the scale of the investments that are happening in Memphis, TN. Academics will follow suit, just like they did at UConn after Gampel Pavilion was built, and the snowball started from there.

Reaction Score
On the other hand, I realize that many on the board here look at our contemporaries (Pitt, Syracuse) and see how they are going to achieve even larger sums of money and perhaps larger profile football matchups without having done anything differently than we did to deserve it. That ticks them off (that kinda ticks me off, too). Pudge, I think the backlash that you are seeing on the board is not necessarily arrogance in most cases (although it may be in some); it is more likely a feeling of getting crapped on and feeling helpless to do anything about it. And although SDSU / Boise / Temple / etc. didn't do anything to deserve our ire (in fact, they are trying their damned best to help us out!), they are the embodiment of the situation at hand. And the situation is simply less promising than it was one year ago...

I think you hit the nail on the head. Having said that, as perception is reality, it would be nice if people understood that the more times they complain about lack of prestige in the new Big East, the less prestige the conference actually has.

pj

Reaction Score
as perception is reality, it would be nice if people understood that the more times they complain about lack of prestige in the new Big East, the less prestige the conference actually has.

Exactly right. Let's earn our prestige on the field, and act like we belong on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom