I-95???? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I-95????

Reaction Score
I don’t understand most of the traffic. You can try to go through at times where there should be no traffic and there’s traffic. Saturdays are the most confounding.

When we go to the Cape, instead of taking 84 which is the direct route, we go north to 90 and just avoid Connecticut completely.

At the end of the day….they’re really just awful drivers. Probably the worst in the hemisphere. I mean, read their posts…most of them are drooling imbeciles.
On weekends, an entirely different group of people traveling, not skillful at aggressiveness and speed like daily commuters. I see the same thing around Boston.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
I drove up from DC last summer to New Haven, and in bumper to bumper traffic in Norwalk a woman proceeded to throw loose change at us in the traffic jam, for thirty minutes. It was surreal...

Reaction Score
I don’t understand most of the traffic. You can try to go through at times where there should be no traffic and there’s traffic. Saturdays are the most confounding.

When we go to the Cape, instead of taking 84 which is the direct route, we go north to 90 and just avoid Connecticut completely.

At the end of the day….they’re really just awful drivers. Probably the worst in the hemisphere. I mean, read their posts…most of them are drooling imbeciles.

CT could be the worst, I don’t know and don’t necessarily disagree. But driving cross country was eye opening. 2k or so miles of polite and reserved driving and then hitting NJ for 100 miles of psychos.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Take the train

That’s what I did. The problem is I live in Brooklyn, so I have to get to GCT. I ended up just taking my daughter and it wasn’t a big deal, although it still took 3 hours door to door.

Ordinarily, on a Saturday morning I should be able to make the drive in well under 2 hours.

Reaction Score

(HARTFORD, CT) – Governor Ned Lamont and Connecticut Transportation Commissioner Garrett Eucalitto today provided the following updates regarding efforts to repair and reopen Interstate 95 in Norwalk as of 6:45 p.m. on Saturday, May 4, 2024:
  • Crews from the Connecticut Department of Transportation and contractors stayed at the site of the Fairfield Avenue Bridge throughout Friday night and continued working through the early hours of Saturday morning when additional equipment needed to remove the damaged bridge arrived.
  • Crews were able to complete demolition of the bridge by 12:30 p.m. on Saturday.
  • Following demolition, crews then began working to clean up all the debris and materials from the bridge off the highway. They also began making necessary repairs to the highway to ensure that it is safe for vehicular traffic.
  • The Connecticut Department of Transportation is estimating that the northbound lanes of I-95 will reopen to vehicles by 8:00 p.m. on Saturday.
  • All southbound lanes of the highway will remain closed to vehicles through the day on Sunday, May 5, because the pavement on this side of the highway was so damaged from the Thursday morning crash that those lanes need to be milled and repaved.
“Crews are making great progress in Norwalk and I am encouraged that we’ll have one side of I-95 open later tonight,” Governor Lamont said. “Completely removing that bridge in less than 36 hours is an impressive feat and is credit to the hard work and dedication of the contractors and Connecticut Department of Transportation crews, who are pushing to get the entire highway fully reopened in both directions by Monday morning.”
“I continue to be thankful to the CTDOT crews and contractors who are working as hard as they can to get this highway reopened,” Commissioner Eucalitto said. “They made great progress today and I remain optimistic that we will meet our Monday morning deadline. I ask the public to remain patient with the ongoing traffic congestion and to continue using alternate routes and public transportation throughout the weekend.”
“I remain completely impressed with the response from our Norwalk Fire Department, Norwalk Police Department, and the State of Connecticut, including Governor Lamont’s Office, the Connecticut Department of Transportation, the Connecticut Division of Emergency Management and Homeland Security and our State Police,” Norwalk Mayor Harry Rilling said. “The fact that there were no injuries from the accident and that crews are working incredibly quickly to remove the bridge so we can reopen I-95 in both directions as soon as possible is a testament to Governor Lamont’s leadership and the high level of collaboration between each agency and level of government. I also want to thank our Norwalk residents and business community for their patience, as I know these temporary closures have been a complete inconvenience to their lives.”
A live video feed showing the ongoing work can be accessed at https://share.earthcam.net/CTDOTNorwalkbridge.
Drivers are asked to remain patient and follow all posted signage. Commercial vehicles are asked to continue using alternate routes through Fairfield County until further notice.
The public can visit CTroads.org for the latest traffic alerts and roadway updates in Connecticut.​

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
This live cam feed of the clean up is going to cost companies that do roadwork millions of dollars. Imagine if every time you drove past road construction you actually see this many people working at one time. Its is both tragic and funny at the same time. From where they were this morning to where they are right now it looks like the road will be open tomorrow.

For those of you who this issue has impacted that must be a relief. Ned definitely gets points for getting this camera feed to go live. It’s half open already. I hope no one washed their cars. Maybe a little more water before opening would have been a good idea.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This live cam feed of the clean up is going to cost companies that do roadwork millions of dollars. Imagine if every time you drove past road construction you actually see this many people working at one time. Its is both tragic and funny at the same time. From where they were this morning to where they are right now it looks like the road will be open tomorrow.

For those of you who this issue has impacted that must be a relief. Ned definitely gets points for getting this camera feed to go live.
One side (southbound I think?) just reopened it looks like.

Reaction Score
Governor Lamont Announces I-95 in Norwalk Will Fully Reopen in Both Directions by 10AM Sunday

Posted on May 5, 2024

(HARTFORD, CT) – Governor Ned Lamont and Connecticut Transportation Commissioner Garrett Eucalitto today announced that Interstate 95 in Norwalk will be fully reopen to traffic in both directions by 10:00 a.m. on Sunday, May 5, 2024.

Reaction Score
Governor Lamont Announces I-95 in Norwalk Will Fully Reopen in Both Directions by 10AM Sunday

Posted on May 5, 2024

(HARTFORD, CT) – Governor Ned Lamont and Connecticut Transportation Commissioner Garrett Eucalitto today announced that Interstate 95 in Norwalk will be fully reopen to traffic in both directions by 10:00 a.m. on Sunday, May 5, 2024.
I think they're waffling on this. Video on tv was showing lots of work in progress on the southbound side.

Jim

Reaction Score
Northbound opened last night; Southbound just reopened. (Earthcam video not updating. CT DOT cameras show cars moving in both directions.)

Reaction Score
I've never been able to post this before, so as the resident Norwalk insider, I can, with distinction, share that the status of I-95 is...

;)

Reaction Score
UConn Stamford grad caused the accident.

NORWALK — The fiery three-vehicle crash that closed Interstate 95 on Thursday unfolded after the 22-year-old driver of a Chevrolet Camaro struck the front end of an oil tanker while attempting to change lanes, according to a police accident report.

The sports car was traveling southbound in the four-lane highway’s far right lane around 5:30 a.m. when it merged into the right center lane occupied by the tanker, leading to the initial collision, Connecticut State Police officials wrote in a two-page crash summary.

The tanker, which was hauling 8,500 gallons of oil, then veered into the left center lane, struck a tractor-trailer and burst into flames before coming to a stop directly under the Fairfield Avenue overpass.

None of the drivers reported injuries. As of Saturday, police have not filed any charges in connection with the crash, which forced crews to demolish the badly burned overpass.

In the aftermath, Norwalk fire officials originally said the crash occurred after a sedan cut off a tractor-trailer, prompting the tanker to swerve into another vehicle in an effort to avoid a collision.

But in an email on Saturday, Sgt. Luke Davis, a spokesperson for the state police, confirmed the Camaro struck the tanker while trying to merge in front of the truck. He said the collision forced the sports car to spin onto its side.

The tanker truck is owned by Standard Petroleum, according to police. David Cohen, executive vice president at the company, said the business has shared the video from the tanker’s dash camera with state police.

“The video clearly shows that our driver was not at fault,” he said in an email Friday morning. “The state police have not asked for anything else at this time, but we will fully cooperate if they do.”

The 22-year-old driver of the Camaro is from Stamford and graduated from the University of Connecticut in December, having attended the school’s Stamford campus, a university spokesperson confirmed.

The two drivers of the commercial vehicles were identified as a 42-year-old man from Harrison, N.Y., who was driving the tanker; and a 35-year-old man from Bridgeport, who was operating the other tractor-trailer.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

(HARTFORD, CT) – Governor Ned Lamont and Connecticut Transportation Commissioner Garrett Eucalitto today provided the following updates regarding efforts to repair and reopen Interstate 95 in Norwalk as of 6:45 p.m. on Saturday, May 4, 2024:​
  • Crews from the Connecticut Department of Transportation and contractors stayed at the site of the Fairfield Avenue Bridge throughout Friday night and continued working through the early hours of Saturday morning when additional equipment needed to remove the damaged bridge arrived.
  • Crews were able to complete demolition of the bridge by 12:30 p.m. on Saturday.
  • Following demolition, crews then began working to clean up all the debris and materials from the bridge off the highway. They also began making necessary repairs to the highway to ensure that it is safe for vehicular traffic.
  • The Connecticut Department of Transportation is estimating that the northbound lanes of I-95 will reopen to vehicles by 8:00 p.m. on Saturday.
  • All southbound lanes of the highway will remain closed to vehicles through the day on Sunday, May 5, because the pavement on this side of the highway was so damaged from the Thursday morning crash that those lanes need to be milled and repaved.

“Crews are making great progress in Norwalk and I am encouraged that we’ll have one side of I-95 open later tonight,” Governor Lamont said. “Completely removing that bridge in less than 36 hours is an impressive feat and is credit to the hard work and dedication of the contractors and Connecticut Department of Transportation crews, who are pushing to get the entire highway fully reopened in both directions by Monday morning.”
“I continue to be thankful to the CTDOT crews and contractors who are working as hard as they can to get this highway reopened,” Commissioner Eucalitto said. “They made great progress today and I remain optimistic that we will meet our Monday morning deadline. I ask the public to remain patient with the ongoing traffic congestion and to continue using alternate routes and public transportation throughout the weekend.”
“I remain completely impressed with the response from our Norwalk Fire Department, Norwalk Police Department, and the State of Connecticut, including Governor Lamont’s Office, the Connecticut Department of Transportation, the Connecticut Division of Emergency Management and Homeland Security and our State Police,” Norwalk Mayor Harry Rilling said. “The fact that there were no injuries from the accident and that crews are working incredibly quickly to remove the bridge so we can reopen I-95 in both directions as soon as possible is a testament to Governor Lamont’s leadership and the high level of collaboration between each agency and level of government. I also want to thank our Norwalk residents and business community for their patience, as I know these temporary closures have been a complete inconvenience to their lives.”
A live video feed showing the ongoing work can be accessed at https://share.earthcam.net/CTDOTNorwalkbridge.
Drivers are asked to remain patient and follow all posted signage. Commercial vehicles are asked to continue using alternate routes through Fairfield County until further notice.
The public can visit CTroads.org for the latest traffic alerts and roadway updates in Connecticut.​

So, the lesson learned is if you want your local bridge rebuilt in one weekend instead of two years, ignite a fuel tanker under it??

Reaction Score
So, the lesson learned is if you want your local bridge rebuilt in one weekend instead of two years, ignite a fuel tanker under it??
There is no bridge, but yeah, they’ll knock it down in a weekend.

Reaction Score
CT could be the worst, I don’t know and don’t necessarily disagree. But driving cross country was eye opening. 2k or so miles of polite and reserved driving and then hitting NJ for 100 miles of psychos.
So true, North Jersey has always been the worst.

Reaction Score
Driving related, I heard a woman get run over last night and my friends saw it. The driver was probably going 80 mph and took off leaving his bumper and the woman in critical condition. So many crazies out there.

Reaction Score
Took me 3 hours to get to South Norwalk from Fairfield yesterday.
136 which parallels the Merritt through northern Westport, Weston and Easton was a parking lot last Thursday around 6pm, and perpendicular routes going north and south were also heavy.

Reaction Score
Driving related, I heard a woman get run over last night and my friends saw it. The driver was probably going 80 mph and took off leaving his bumper and the woman in critical condition. So many crazies out there.
Pedestrian deaths by vehicles are at 50-60 year highs the last few years. It's not good.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ya live in Mass go down to CT about once a month and ya I gotta say it’s even worse then MA.
When I went to Jacksonville a year ago, I drove through Jacksonville at 5:30 on a Thursday. Might have slowed to about 55 briefly. Landed at Logan just before Midnight on a Sunday, I-93 south was crawling along. It's now busy almost all the time and it's not drivers, it's just more cars than the roads can handle.

After another recent trip to South Carolina, I've reached a conclusion: New England and most of the North East has decided that they and aren't going to build any vehicle infrastructure. Almost every highway in CT and MA (and RI) is a lane less than it should be. You can say they can't expand without a lot of eminent domain, but they could build alternate routes. Boston should have an interstate running diagonally southwest along what is Rt 109. The Merrit should be a real 3 lane highway with proper on/off ramps. Rt 6 between Manchester and Providence should have been built out as intended. Even most surface streets can't handle the capacity.

It's only going to keep getting worse. Boston has some of the worst traffic in the world, report finds

Reaction Score
Pedestrian deaths by vehicles are at 50-60 year highs the last few years. It's not good.
This is from the hit and run I was talking about at the end of my block. None of this makes sense. The dealer says he sold the car 1 day before the hit and run so he would have the name and address of who he sold it to but the car still had dealer plates on it. The dealer is lying. Either the dealer was driving it or someone who works at his dealership/family member was driving it.

Reaction Score
same... once I hit frederick md the rest of the way to dc was nutty

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom