Husky Run Updates - Daniel Hamilton wins | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Husky Run Updates - Daniel Hamilton wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thing is , they were saying this last year too . " we are trying to run run push the tempo get fast breaks, we have fast guys " etc . The problem isn't the athleticism on the roster , it's the fact purvis and others were poor transition / semi transition players, not good open court ball handlers or passers. I'm just excited and hopeful purvis can show grip and be an initiater on offense other than straight line drives and spot ups.

They say it every year. Used to be part of JCs off season narrative. "We are going to run more, we are going to press, Justin Brown looks very, very good and could start." Every year. Obviously I hope it's true and that we go back to being a devastating transition team that scores off opponent makes and stops winning games 53-51.

Reaction Score
They say it every year. Used to be part of JCs off season narrative. "We are going to run more, we are going to press, Justin Brown looks very, very good and could start." Every year. Obviously I hope it's true and that we go back to being a devastating transition team that scores off opponent makes and stops winning games 53-51.

So true boog. Yet it really has been since 1995 they've been able to get out and go in a consistent game-to-game manner. I mean many teams since have had "spurtability" but few have had consistency. The 2006 team rebounded so well and were so big they could go too. 2004 on occasion but they could also score in half court really well. The 2 that stand out to me right away are 1989-90 in which defense/press led to transition, 1995 who just ran all the time, gave up points but inbounded fast and attacked right back relentlessly. Both of these teams also had people who could throw the ball down court and in both cases their guards could throw the 75 footer too with Tate, Smitty and Doron.

Reaction Score
I love the Husky run every year-it means we are weeks away from having something basketball related to talk about - BTW I heard AB put on 5 more lbs in the last few weeks :)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Transition = Rebound 1st, solid outlet pass 2nd - without good outlet passers hard to really run. Need to rebound, look up court first and have the ability to deliver in some fashion preferably overhead 2 hander.

Wonder who will do that? Part of the reason we haven't been able to run besides outlet passing is Bazz and Boat are always in the top 3-4 rebounders over the last few years, that's not good when it's consistent. I expect we will be able to run more just because of our athleticism but to get like "1995 good" they will need to be really good at rebounding margin again!

Spot on. Only way to be a fast breaking team is to have big men who rebound and can outlet pass.

Ollie made a conscientious decision the past few years to shore up defensive rebounding at the expense of fast breaking.

Reaction Score
Goes to show Miller can't play at this level, IMO.

Or Larrier... At least according to your logic. Did Khalid ever beat 26min? God knows he couldn't play at this level. I apologize in advance if you were being sarcastic.

Reaction Score
When you see guys finish with the same time. They usually were NOT racing. They were running together, probably talking.

Reaction Score
When you consider that 2 of the players were pulled from the race as a precaution because of the rainy conditions, you can see that going 100% was not the goal of the run.

Reaction Score
Spot on. Only way to be a fast breaking team is to have big men who rebound and can outlet pass.

Ollie made a conscientious decision the past few years to shore up defensive rebounding at the expense of fast breaking.

Truth... I've been watching lots of old games to get my fix (serious thanks TCF) and the quick outlet aspect is so underrated. Many of our big men were outstanding at this. Jake, Emeka, Sellers, Travis; i.e. our best transition teams had big men who boarded and then outlet-ed to a guard who was looking to push (Khalid/Ricky, Taliek/Ben, Tate/Smitty, Ollie/Doron).

Not to beat on Amida but his poor rebounding is compounded by his inability to outlet when he does board. Hasheem had the same issue. The rawness was very evident when all of the instincts were to simply secure the board.

Reaction Score
Is that Phil on the bench already?
RichZ that's not fair. Can't we be positive?

To me it would be better to say he's already practicing.

Reaction Score
This is a fun day and I don't think anybody was competing, but to say an 8 minute mile is "very good" on such a short race is ridiculous. My 90 year old grandfather can hang with that pace for a mile. It doesn't take much conditioning to do that. I'm assuming the players just had fun with it - as they always do and should do.

Considering the world record for a mile by a 90 year old is 10:30, it would seem highly unlikely that your grandfather can run an 8 minute mile.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Truth... I've been watching lots of old games to get my fix (serious thanks TCF) and the quick outlet aspect is so underrated. Many of our big men were outstanding at this. Jake, Emeka, Sellers, Travis; i.e. our best transition teams had big men who boarded and then outlet-ed to a guard who was looking to push (Khalid/Ricky, Taliek/Ben, Tate/Smitty, Ollie/Doron).

Not to beat on Amida but his poor rebounding is compounded by his inability to outlet when he does board. Hasheem had the same issue. The rawness was very evident when all of the instincts were to simply secure the board.

I think we will see a small line up of Hamilton and Miller, both excellent rebounders, with Purvis, Gibbs and Adams that will be able to rebound well enough to let the guards fly.

Reaction Score
rebounding is a big deal,but its pretty much on par with having wings/guards with great floor awareness + ball handling + passing. You can get 'semi transition' opportunities when the defense fails to get settled, these don't really require a 'strong defensive board and outlet'. Our guards need to get up the court and create 4 v 3 opportunities. Last year boatright felt more comfortable slowing tempo and running his high pnr ( which was effective), but also speaks to lack of offensive talent we had .He probably wasn't comfortable tossing the rock ahead to purvis or hamilton to 'create'; my hope is they are better open floor players this season than last.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Hasheem would grab a rebound and wait for a guard to hand off the ball.

Reaction Score
Or Larrier... At least according to your logic. Did Khalid ever beat 26min? God knows he couldn't play at this level. I apologize in advance if you were being sarcastic.
Yeah but that's a mixed bag, since Khalid's conditioning absolutely played a causal role in him not making it in the NBA.

They wouldn't do the run if it was worth nothing, but it is simply one metric and definitely not among the most important to evaluate a basketball player. It is a tiny sliver of evidence.

My annual over analyzing that tiny bit of evidence:
Purvis - wish he had improved, times are solid but we need him to step up in leadership and consistency.
Calhoun - In hoping he's 100% healthy & possibly return to player he was as a freshman, his time is a minor note of caution
Facey - consistent and competitive, runs distance like he plays
Hamilton - Improved by an impressive amount, over a minute a mile is no joke - means he pushed himself = leader

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
To put these times in perspective, as a senior in high school, after having nothing but a sprinter background for the previous two years, and with no conditioning, I ran 21:30 first time, and 20:00 by the end of the year. I was nothing special - not a "scoring" runner on my team.

So, as Huskiesnyc said - these guys aren't taking this seriously and there's almost nothing to read into the athletes' conditioning from these times.
I simply said an 8 minute mile is nothing to write home about if you are any sort of competitive athlete and they obviously aren't taking it seriously.. Stop responding to me SJ.

Just to make sure we are all on the same page, the paper said it was a 5K (3.1 mile run).

That makes Enoch's time, sub 7 minute miles while loafing or not taking it seriously. And you two both want to say that is nothing to be impressed by accomplishing.

Enoch isn't a guard and I hope he hasn't spent much time running distances.

My point was that for a kid his size with his expected conditioning from high school that his time is a very good baseline from which to build.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Well stated.

AB does certain things really well and those things have been pointed out. But he, like most players, is not perfect and those imperfections contribute to flaws in the overall performance of a team which may or may not be compensated by other players or other styles of play. Mentioning those flaws is not necessarily "beating on Amida".

From my observation there are certain posters who do tend to isolate their criticism to one player or one particular aspect of one player's performance and stubbornly insist that the entire problems of the world (exaggeration intended) are the result of that performance.:(:rolleyes::cool::eek::mad: They are the ones beating on players. The issue is as much about these individuals as it is about the player and the player's respective "bad" performance.

Additionally there are posters who, either from lack of time or their own particular stubbornness, are unable to distinguish posters and end up generalizing a problem versus isolating it. They end up "beating" on many posters who are imo offering critical evaluations regarding players and teams. Or they end up generalizing and beating up a poster who does have a lot to offer but in one or two instances demonstrates his or her human fallibility. Furthermore there are differences in how each of us believe things should be done. That creates its own set of problems. If people took the time and effort to examine peoples entire body of work or if they could be more considerate to one another, they might realize this and this forum would be imo a lot easier for the majority of us to read. But I doubt things will change.

Reaction Score
Goes to show Miller can't play at this level, IMO.
Got a guy (above) who posts a pithy bit of sarcasm that captures both the latent fears and the hair-trigger overreaction of the BY masses.
Another guy immediately posts a picture with "here we go" on it. Does he not get the sardonic post? Or does he get it, and is simply noting that the non-getters are going to go ape?
A third guy claims that, by extending 1st guy's logic, Larrier is in the same group as Miller. Third guy is serious, but throws in a "misread your sarcasm" hedge at the end of his post, just to make sure.

Love this board!

Reaction Score
My annual over analyzing that tiny bit of evidence:
Purvis - wish he had improved, times are solid but we need him to step up in leadership and consistency.
Calhoun - In hoping he's 100% healthy & possibly return to player he was as a freshman, his time is a minor note of caution
Facey - consistent and competitive, runs distance like he plays
"Over analyzing" doesn't come close to what you did here. Overboard, overwrought, overdrawn, overindulged, over-the-top, and maybe Over and Out would coalesce to approach what you did.
But I liked it none the less, notwithstanding the recklessness of it.

Reaction Score
Got a guy (above) who posts a pithy bit of sarcasm that captures both the latent fears and the hair-trigger overreaction of the BY masses.
Another guy immediately posts a picture with "here we go" on it. Does he not get the sardonic post? Or does he get it, and is simply noting that the non-getters are going to go ape?
A third guy claims that, by extending 1st guy's logic, Larrier is in the same group as Miller. Third guy is serious, but throws in a "misread your sarcasm" hedge at the end of his post, just to make sure.

Love this board!

Wasn't serious at all... Would it be out of character for a boneyarder to truly use the husky run as an indicator of player value? Or to use the same metric to both raise and tear down different players?

So are you the fourth guy? The Boneyard's game is strong today. We've got the "we didn't want Gabriel" contingent coming out to play, too...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Transition = Rebound 1st, solid outlet pass 2nd - without good outlet passers hard to really run. Need to rebound, look up court first and have the ability to deliver in some fashion preferably overhead 2 hander.

Wonder who will do that? Part of the reason we haven't been able to run besides outlet passing is Bazz and Boat are always in the top 3-4 rebounders over the last few years, that's not good when it's consistent. I expect we will be able to run more just because of our athleticism but to get like "1995 good" they will need to be really good at rebounding margin again!
Miller is my guess. Jake Vokshul started a whole lot of breaks for UConn. You are spot on. First, you got to rebound which is easier to do if you aren't focused on blocking a shot. Miller gives us a more traditional big who'll will chalk up rebounds. That will pair nicely with Brimah's blocking/shot altering game.

Reaction Score
Just to make sure we are all on the same page, the paper said it was a 5K (3.1 mile run).

That makes Enoch's time, sub 7 minute miles while loafing or not taking it seriously. And you two both want to say that is nothing to be impressed by accomplishing.

My point was that for a kid his size with his expected conditioning from high school that his time is a very good baseline from which to build.

I'd be very surprised if Enoch isn't actually capable of running under 21 minutes right now. The conditioning to play 40 minutes of basketball at a high level is greater than what you're thinking when it comes to running. Again, I was a bad cross country runner, but I can't see how you find any of these times impressive. Typically, the state open (high school) has a champion running somewhere between 15:33 and 15:47. Top 25 are all in before 17 minutes. The people running times between 17:15 and 17:45 are determining their teams' fates (last runners to count for scoring purposes on a decent team), and the scrubs run times like 19, 20, or 21 minutes. Scrubs. In cross country - a sport that nobody cares about!

Reaction Score

Chin, your math sucks.

Reaction Score
I'd be very surprised if Enoch isn't actually capable of running under 21 minutes right now. The conditioning to play 40 minutes of basketball at a high level is greater than what you're thinking when it comes to running. Again, I was a bad cross country runner, but I can't see how you find any of these times impressive. Typically, the state open (high school) has a champion running somewhere between 15:33 and 15:47. Top 25 are all in before 17 minutes. The people running times between 17:15 and 17:45 are determining their teams' fates (last runners to count for scoring purposes on a decent team), and the scrubs run times like 19, 20, or 21 minutes. Scrubs. In cross country - a sport that nobody cares about!
I find it funny that you're still analyzing this.

Reaction Score
I
I find it funny that you're still analyzing this.
I know, but I just can't stop. I know running, and it really kills me when people don't get just how unimpressive those times are, and always will be - as it's just a fun run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom