Husky Run Updates - Daniel Hamilton wins | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Husky Run Updates - Daniel Hamilton wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's a very good number for a freshman his size. You can't fake conditioning on a 3 mile run.

This is a fun day and I don't think anybody was competing, but to say an 8 minute mile is "very good" on such a short race is ridiculous. My 90 year old grandfather can hang with that pace for a mile. It doesn't take much conditioning to do that. I'm assuming the players just had fun with it - as they always do and should do.

Reaction Score
This is a fun day and I don't think anybody was competing, but to say an 8 minute mile is "very good" on such a short race is ridiculous. My 90 year old grandfather can hang with that pace for a mile. It doesn't take much conditioning to do that. I'm assuming the players just had fun with it - as they always do and should do.
I'm gonna call bull on your 90 year old grandpa running 8 minute miles.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

You are wrong and you know it. A 6'10" 240lbs 18 year old running at a 8 min mile pace for 2.5 miles is a very good baseline.

Please provide examples of other people of his age and size that do better than what he did today.

Reaction Score
But how many cell phones was he holding

Reaction Score
I can't help but assume you are a total non athlete and never workout. I was a scholarship athlete at UConn recently. Give it a rest and stop replying to my posts.
Quite a strange response. No I don't consider myself an athlete but I could run a 5 minute mile when I was 14 and absolutely hate running long distances. Only athletic type of thing I do these days is lift weights whenever I can. No clue what any of that has to do with your 90 year old grandpa not being able to run 8 minute miles.

Reaction Score
You are wrong and you know it. A 6'10" 240lbs 18 year old running at a 8 min mile pace for 2.5 miles is a very good baseline.

Please provide examples of other people of his age and size that do better than what he did today.
Well his 90 year old grandfather can run an 8 minute mile, not sure if he's 6'10 240 lbs. but he might be close to it since his grandson is a recent Uconn scholarship athlete, he comes from good stock.

Reaction Score
To put these times in perspective, as a senior in high school, after having nothing but a sprinter background for the previous two years, and with no conditioning, I ran 21:30 first time, and 20:00 by the end of the year. I was nothing special - not a "scoring" runner on my team.

So, as Huskiesnyc said - these guys aren't taking this seriously and there's almost nothing to read into the athletes' conditioning from these times.

Reaction Score
I simply said an 8 minute mile is nothing to write home about if you are any sort of competitive athlete and they obviously aren't taking it seriously.. Stop responding to me SJ.

Reaction Score

"Coach Ollie is really, really [mad] at us because I think we were 305th in the nation in transition baskets," Purvis said. "We've got fast guys on our team, so that's pitiful. We're going to be a track team, based on the way he's been prepping us and how much we've been running, training, so I think we'll be very, very fast. Jalen is great in the open court and Coach Ollie is going to put him in a position to have some fun and score some points."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...un-run-gampel-storrs-1001-20150930-story.html

Reaction Score
"Coach Ollie is really, really [mad] at us because I think we were 305th in the nation in transition baskets," Purvis said. "We've got fast guys on our team, so that's pitiful. We're going to be a track team, based on the way he's been prepping us and how much we've been running, training, so I think we'll be very, very fast. Jalen is great in the open court and Coach Ollie is going to put him in a position to have some fun and score some points."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...un-run-gampel-storrs-1001-20150930-story.html

Thing is , they were saying this last year too . " we are trying to run run push the tempo get fast breaks, we have fast guys " etc . The problem isn't the athleticism on the roster , it's the fact purvis and others were poor transition / semi transition players, not good open court ball handlers or passers. I'm just excited and hopeful purvis can show grip and be an initiater on offense other than straight line drives and spot ups.

Cassell is a good passer , so it hurt last year he was under 100% and Tsam was relied to be a cog in the offense... This years new personnel should help push tempo (rebounding from miller speed from jalen knockdown transition buckets from Gibbs)

Reaction Score
Transition = Rebound 1st, solid outlet pass 2nd - without good outlet passers hard to really run. Need to rebound, look up court first and have the ability to deliver in some fashion preferably overhead 2 hander.

Wonder who will do that? Part of the reason we haven't been able to run besides outlet passing is Bazz and Boat are always in the top 3-4 rebounders over the last few years, that's not good when it's consistent. I expect we will be able to run more just because of our athleticism but to get like "1995 good" they will need to be really good at rebounding margin again!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I simply said an 8 minute mile is nothing to write home about if you are any sort of competitive athlete and they obviously aren't taking it seriously.. Stop responding to me SJ.

wow - if you don't want people to reply to you don't post
OK you're an athlete - im a 60 yo, played college soccer and continued to play competitively until in my 40s - I was not a distance runner and even if I couldn't run an 8 minute mile I could have probably out play you in most any sport (3 sport participant in high school)
I really don't think some of these young men are taking it seriously and look at it as more of a "fun run"
I don't care as long as they play the game to best of their ability and go as far as they can
Your comments remind me of the thinking of a coach I knew who would cut any player from his soccer team if they couldn't run a mile in less than 7 1/2 minutes. One year he cut 2 players and they transferred to another school in town - beat his ass two years and both were All State and really good D1 players. He soon stopped that practice.
Chill pal

Reaction Score
Transition = Rebound 1st, solid outlet pass 2nd - without good outlet passers hard to really run. Need to rebound, look up court first and have the ability to deliver in some fashion preferably overhead 2 hander.

Wonder who will do that? Part of the reason we haven't been able to run besides outlet passing is Bazz and Boat are always in the top 3-4 rebounders over the last few years, that's not good when it's consistent. I expect we will be able to run more just because of our athleticism but to get like "1995 good" they will need to be really good at rebounding margin again!

Yeah, I thought the rebounding absolutely killed them from a transition standpoint last year.

Reaction Score
How could a soccer player not run a 7:30 mile? A soccer player friend of mine was around 5:10 I. High school (20 seconds faster than me, at the time).

But, again, it does t matter - it's a different type of conditioning that prepares one for a basketball game versus cross country.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Can someone point out the last time a UConn off season didn't include talks of getting out on the run and playing in transition.

Every. Single. Year. And people get all gassed up about.

That being said, I heard Facey put on 25 pounds of muscle.

Reaction Score
Goes to show Miller can't play at this level, IMO.
oh%2Bboy%2Bhere%2Bwe%2Bgo.jpg

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Also the forgotten man, Kentan Facey.

Nobody talks about KF but I still like him a lot.
Yogi?

Reaction Score
Can someone point out the last time a UConn off season didn't include talks of getting out on the run and playing in transition.

Every. Single. Year. And people get all gassed up about.

That being said, I heard Facey put on 25 pounds of muscle.

Yeah, going into last year I thought they were going to play a lot fast just because 'Bazz preferred a slower pace and with a different PG the pace would pick up. I think Ollie just likes to play slowly, everything we've seen in three years points to that.

Reaction Score

No, see, that is not how bulletin boards work. You can formally ignore him so you don't see his posts. Or you could just read his retorts and then ignore them. But you don't get to tell him not to respond to you, since you can't stop it and it makes you sound childish.

Just sayin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69