Hurley got murked by Turgeon | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley got murked by Turgeon

Reaction Score
That is partly a personnel issue BUT there are worse coaches doing more with less talented players on the offensive end.
Don’t disagree with you on this 429. But just so I can watch some of those coaches and games, who are the worse coaches doing more with less talented players? Would like to compare what they are running

Reaction Score
Year 4 is the big year for most coaches, because it will be all his players and he will have had 3+ years to implement his system. The team that Hurley puts on the court next season is the program UConn can expect to have going forward.

? Literally in this same post you talk about URI which did not have a great year 4 and then took the jump, but now year 4 defines everything?

Every year is a big year and every program has up years and down years. Next year I want to see us continue to trend up on the court and continue to recruit well.

Reaction Score
Don’t disagree with you on this 429. But just so I can watch some of those coaches and games, who are the worse coaches doing more with less talented players? Would like to compare what they are running

Just based on Kenpom and what I remember seeing in the past...

Davidson
Drake
Belmont
Loyola
Richmond
San diego state
St. Bonnies
South Dakota State
Toledo
Houston (who plays a lot like us actually)

Reaction Score
Hurley should know better than to let his guys miss 20 layups. He was out coached.

Y’all sound so ridiculous give it a break. Not how anyone wanted the season to end, but man we have taken a huge step this year from middle of the pack in the American to 3rd in the big east.

If you guys are going to criticize Hurley every time we lose a game, then you have to give him credit where credit is due, but for some reason it never works that way for some people ?
Yes, we ought to. I’m waiting for the big game to do so. If you can’t see a troubling pattern of no shows and no finish, then I don’t know what to say.

Reaction Score
Anyone on the inside know if Hurley would be willing to change his offensive philosophy? Has it ever been discussed? Or is he just banking on better recruits?

Reaction Score
Not to pile on here, but this statement had me perplexed.

“We knew going in this was not a great matchup for the way we play defense,” UConn coach Dan Hurley said. “[Our defense] is a bad fit for a position-less five-out type of matchup.”

While the offense was more of the problem, Maryland did shoot over 50% from the field and 50% from three so there was an issue on defense. The Huskies played a team earlier in the season who used that type of system. Did you learn anything from that game? You had almost a week to strategize for this game. Are there adjustments to counteract that type of system? Or are you saying the team just didn't have the personnel?

Reaction Score
Yes, we ought to. I’m waiting for the big game to do so. If you can’t see a troubling pattern of no shows and no finish, then I don’t know what to say.
If you can’t recognize that we have made huge strides since last year, then I don’t know what to say.

Hurley has work to do, but we were never gonna win it all in year 3. I don’t disagree with you about the tough finishes, but i’m choosing to look at it glass half full.

All i’m saying is I think that if you are going to criticize Hurleys every move then you have to give him credit where credit is due. But everyone seems to be talking about everything he did wrong and conveniently leaving out the fact that we have improved every year under Hurley. That’s not to say that there’s not more work to be done. There is. Hurley is far from perfect. But calling for him to get fired every time we lose a game is not a good look.

Reaction Score
Just based on Kenpom and what I remember seeing in the past...

Davidson
Drake
Belmont
Loyola
Richmond
San diego state
St. Bonnies
South Dakota State
Toledo
Houston (who plays a lot like us actually)
Will def. check some of those out but I have seen Davidson, St. Bonnie’s and Richmond a lot over the years. My dad is a Umass grad and has season tickets so I see a ton of those teams play. Mckillop, Schmidt and Mooney are definitely not worse coaches. They are all awesome coaches who have chosen to stay in their programs. I think each one of them has been at those schools for 15+ years. They have implemented their systems with their players and run it their way. None of them have had overwhelming success either. And I just watched SD State look like an 8th grade team in this tournament that had no offensive plan despite knowing exactly the defense that would be thrown at them. If you are just looking at KenPom, isn’t UConn top 25 in that as far as offensive efficiency? I’d also take Loyola off that list. They are a legit really good team with a lot of juniors and seniors riding that wave over the last couple years. That’s the cool part about being a mid major. You have a team that develops together over a few years and also why you see more mid majors winning games now. The have less talent than the UKs of the world but make up for it with experience. Will be interesting to see if Loyola can maintain that offensive efficiency next year when they lose a ton of kids. I’ll definitely follow them closer next season to see if it works out.

Reaction Score
Not to pile on here, but this statement had me perplexed.

“We knew going in this was not a great matchup for the way we play defense,” UConn coach Dan Hurley said. “[Our defense] is a bad fit for a position-less five-out type of matchup.”

While the offense was more of the problem, Maryland did shoot over 50% from the field and 50% from three so there was an issue on defense. The Huskies played a team earlier in the season who used that type of system. Did you learn anything from that game? You had almost a week to strategize for this game. Are there adjustments to counteract that type of system? Or are you saying the team just didn't have the personnel?
The full quote pretty much answers those questions. His full answer was they play 2 traditional bigs to try and capitalize on the boards and if they had been able to convert on a few of the offensive rebounds we're having a different conversation today

Reaction Score
I'm no coach, but I would think they should have found a way to iso Bouk, even if you move the whole team to the other side of the floor. Same with Sanogo, iso him and we are a different offensive team. Tell our players to feed them both continually. The other strategy I was yearning for was for them to attack the basket, and not rely on jumpers especially 3 pointers which weren't falling. We would at least had generate fouls on their players.

Maryland negated both of our future NBA players effectively.

No adjustments were made which confounded me the whole night.
Yes, it was challenging to watch with no adjustments, even seemed to slow down our play more in the second half and we embraced it, ran our clock down repeatedly with no change. Our players are taught to take plays from the bench, this slows down the on court response. Apparently the coaches don't trust the guards enough to run some plays on their own.

In our efforts to control the pace our offense becomes stagnate and the defense picks up as the clock runs down, we had no bigs to pass into with Sanogo on the bench for 24 minutes. Are we too guard orientated with small guards?

Reaction Score
Yes, it was challenging to watch with no adjustments, even seemed to slow down our play more in the second half and we embraced it, ran our clock down repeatedly with no change. Our players are taught to take plays from the bench, this slows down the on court response. Apparently the coaches don't trust the guards enough to run some plays on their own.

In our efforts to control the pace our offense becomes stagnate and the defense picks up as the clock runs down, we had no bigs to pass into with Sanogo on the bench for 24 minutes. Are we too guard orientated with small guards?
Sanogo was in foul trouble the entire game, unfortunately. Something to clean up for next year, but all season long we were better when he was on the court. To think he should have been a senior in high school this year is incredible. All of the tools are there, but I digress.

Reaction Score
The full quote pretty much answers those questions. His full answer was they play 2 traditional bigs to try and capitalize on the boards and if they had been able to convert on a few of the offensive rebounds we're having a different conversation today
Well, we had over a week to prepare our defense for the outside five offense, not a one day turn around.
Perhaps if we stuck with the traditional bigs to dominate down low it might have worked even though initially it didn't with all the inside misses. At least we kept getting changes that we didn't get in the second half of this game. Sanogo sat for 24 minutes in this game. He also provides some offense and pass possibilities for the guards.

Reaction Score
Sanogo was in foul trouble the entire game, unfortunately. Something to clean up for next year, but all season long we were better when he was on the court. To think he should have been a senior in high school this year is incredible. All of the tools are there, but I digress.
The line score said Sanogo had two (2) fouls. He does have a lot of up-side but the defense program that requires our bigs to double team outside creates some problems inside. I'd like to see the metrics that say we steal the ball more or create havoc that makes this a good defensive move.

Reaction Score
The line score said Sanogo had two (2) fouls. He does have a lot of up-side but the defense program that requires our bigs to double team outside creates some problems inside. I'd like to see the metrics that say we steal the ball more or create havoc that makes this a good defensive move.
Wow. I didn’t realize he only had 2. I thought it was more than that. My bad.

I can see where you are coming from. Whenever we have our bigs hedging on the perimeter it makes me nervous. With the exception of Isaiah Whaley who seems to do that better than anyone i’ve seen for some reason - hahah

Reaction Score
O.K. that makes more sense. The full quote wasn't in the Courant, just what I provided above. I can deal with a strategy to dictate the game rather than counteract. They rebounded but just didn't make the bunnies they should have. It was an issue we saw most of the season. Remember @Thirty Three's statistic from some analytics web site? The team was terrible converting from close distance. Came back to bite us in the back side big time.

Reaction Score
Sure. And when Sanogo and Carlton each got 2 fouls and we were only playing 1 big at the end of the 1st half, then why did we play the same way without any of the advantages of playing 2 bigs?

Reaction Score
O.K. that makes more sense. The full quote wasn't in the Courant, just what I provided above. I can deal with a strategy to dictate the game rather than counteract. They rebounded but just didn't make the bunnies they should have. It was an issue we saw most of the season. Remember @Thirty Three's statistic from some analytics web site? The team was terrible converting from close distance. Came back to bite us in the back side big time.
Finished the year 272nd in FG% at the rim (56.2%). Everyone other than Sanogo and Bouknight was pretty bad

Reaction Score
I am not fully on board with Hurley being the right guy. Last night was not a surprise, because many on this board had been pointing out the same issues since last year. Hurley had a good season at Wagner, two good seasons at URI (after 4 seasons of mediocrity), and then "meh" at UConn.

This isn't the A10. UConn is a big time program, and the Big East has some of the best players and best coaches in college basketball. A coach can't be this weak on gameday and expect to be successful against this level of competition. He has to figure out a way to be smarter on gameday or he is not going to be successful.

Year 4 is the big year for most coaches, because it will be all his players and he will have had 3+ years to implement his system. The team that Hurley puts on the court next season is the program UConn can expect to have going forward.
I am sort of with you on this. Hurley to me at this point looks like one of those guys who goes to the tournament most years but as a 7-10 type seed and packs light because he will be home after the opening weekend. This isn’t the first time he has been out coached in an important game either.

Reaction Score
Sure. And when Sanogo and Carlton each got 2 fouls and we were only playing 1 big at the end of the 1st half, then why did we play the same way without any of the advantages of playing 2 bigs?
On offense or defense? I thought we made plenty of good adjustments on the defensive end, but the lack of any offensive system is frustrating

Reaction Score
I love how Hurley has brought the old KO players and incorporated his new players as things shift to fully his regime. The kids clearly have pride again. They know how to not lose some games now. Intensity and rebounding are unrecognizable from the prior regime, which we all expected from Hurley.

But MAN, has he been exposed on the offensive side in a real league with better coaching. Our guys did not look comfortable or know what they were doing on offense at any point last night. Every shot looked like it was not part of the offense; nobody was getting good looks. Sanogo being inexplicably absent cut out about 15 PNR points and that surely contributes; but, his absence and the decision behind it in itself was thread-worthy.

Reaction Score
Our best player can’t handle the basketball well enough to take over the game. That’s a huge issue because we don’t have anyone else with near the skills needed to go get a hoop when needed. Against good teams, we just aren’t talented enough yet.

they tripled and quadrupled anyone with the ball in the paint. I thought our ball rotation was horrible. We never adjusted and thats on the staff. We could also use a few knock down shooters. They don’t have to be athletic, they need to hit shots to open the floor. I’m very concerned about Sanogo and Jackson being able to hit jump shots. They each have excellent free throw strokes so with a summer of work, they should get better.

Reaction Score
Is that true? Like the team that is on the court next year is the program we can expect going forward? Not sure I believe that either for the good or the bad. Personally I think his recruiting will get better and it’s been pretty darn good so far.

Reaction Score
He didn't change his offense. Sanago does his ticky tock fouls. Josh comes in does Josh.

On top of that we out rebound them for naught.

When you back rim everything. Three best offensive players do nothing. No inside game. The only one left wide open is Whaley at the arc. You don't have a chance.

Hurley needed his players to make shots. They looked liked they didnt practice. Made no adjustments with arc or strength. Book missing FTs. Scorers miss shots but score at the line. Second game his missed at all levels of scoring.

Jackson has a long way. He looks like a 4 year player. Yea, has handle but isn't a threat. D great or very poor.

Was Hurley supposed to go to Akok and Adams?

Team was incredibly fla

Gaff stepped up. That's all folks!

Reaction Score
I'm sorry I have to respectfully disagree. They shot 28% from the field. They couldn't make a shot. They dominated the glass. The knock on Hurley here is that he couldn't figure out how to defend Ayala
Not much Hurley can do when our guards are too small and our bigs either can't play perimeter d or get ticky tacky fouls early. In a game that was so poorly played, criticism is warranted to everyone, starting with Hurley and going down the entire line. This game though was all about execution. Our players simply did not execute at all for 40mins. Fact is, our backcourt is undersized and average at best. Cole and Gaffney struggled mightily until late in the game. They couldn't get us into our offense or any rhythm and they were both manhandled on the defensive end.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom