How worth it is storrs central? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How worth it is storrs central?

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if Storrs Central uploads the postgame press conferences before they make it to YouTube? I watch them first thing in the morning on YT after a game. If they are live on Storrs Central i'd pay for it.

Reaction Score
It's a direct line to the NIL apparatus at UConn too and still early enough to get in on helping shape whatever it becomes. Good time to give suggestions & ideas because they are looking for it.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't understand how the money makes sense.

You have to pay the guy who comes on here (who's been at UConn all of half a year) imploring us to donate to UConn as a moral obligation, and then you need to pay the staff writers at least on a per article basis, then just the maintenance of the site in general. The money has to come from somewhere.

Reaction Score

You have to pay the guy who comes on here (who's been at UConn all of half a year) imploring us to donate to UConn as a moral obligation, and then you need to pay the staff writers at least on a per article basis, then just the maintenance of the site in general. The money has to come from somewhere.

The NIL collective has money from donors. I'm confused by your question.

Just like when the Hartford Courant collects subscriptions and uses the money to pay their staff, so does BBFG. Obviously, the end result is different and the net is used much differently, but it's pretty much a basic business operation from what I've seen.

Reaction Score

Just like when the Hartford Courant collects subscriptions and uses the money to pay their staff, so does BBFG. Obviously, the end result is different and the net is used much differently, but it's pretty much a basic business operation from what I've seen.
I subscribe for SC. My biggest question revolves around subscription numbers. It’s been voiced loudly that SC needs 5000 subscriptions long term (currently at 500-600) to keep UConn NIL competitive. My simple question is why? What difference is 5000 10$ subscriptions versus 5000 donations of 10 dollars or more. Besides that fact that subscriptions renew, if chosen to. I’d just like to know what makes SC imperative to UConn NIL versus the holistic approach to NIL

Reaction Score
Anything to support NIL is well worth it, but Storrs Central swung and missed big time by not partnering with the BY. Monthly subscription numbers would probably be double had they done that.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score

Do you blame other fundraiser organizations for trying to convince you to "do your part"? Maybe you do, maybe you don't, but either way someone has to do that work. Funds do not raise themselves. If they hired Ray Allen to post a video saying the same exact things that Jared Thomas has said and you never even learned who Jared Thomas was, would you be as opposed to contributing?

I assume the site is not profitable yet, but sitting back and waiting for other people to make it profitable is also not helping the situation. If you can afford $100 a year and want to help NIL, subscribing to Storrs Central seems to be a good start. If you can afford more than that and want to help NIL, donating to Bleeding Blue for Good also seems to be a good way to help in a tax deductible way.

If anyone can't or doesn't want to spend the $100, no one is going to blame them for continuing to spend their time on the Boneyard and getting their information that way when it inevitably leaks out.

Reaction Score
I subscribe for SC. My biggest question revolves around subscription numbers. It’s been voiced loudly that SC needs 5000 subscriptions long term (currently at 500-600) to keep UConn NIL competitive. My simple question is why? What difference is 5000 10$ subscriptions versus 5000 donations of 10 dollars or more. Besides that fact that subscriptions renew, if chosen to. I’d just like to know what makes SC imperative to UConn NIL versus the holistic approach to NIL

At 5,000 subscribers, they're pulling $600,000 a year for NIL. I'd say that's a big difference. That's a minority stake in the total NIL for the basketball and football teams, but it's not nothing.

And why the subscription? It's a nice place for folks to discuss UConn ball, get a few articles, and a drip of inside info here and there. It's not nothing, but you're also able to just donate 10$ to a collective each month without SC if you want to. I haven't gained much from the SC forum, but I'd rather a little bit than just donate money straight up, I guess.

Reaction Score
The difference is that the approach of pay/donate $10/month to SC is much easier to sell to fans because they are actually providing a product. Plus the overwhelming majority of people will either pay for a full year and/or auto renew.

If 5000 people started donating $10 a month consistently (in addition to other donations that are already made) the importance of SC would be drastically diminished, but people are never going to do that.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
One last thing I appreciated was they came out and said the rumors about Brea having ludicrous NIL demands were false, and that the program has nothing but good things to say about the kid. Stops fans from spiraling and saying he's not a culture fit etc.

Wish it was 100% effective because I see a lot of people here and on twitter now saying "he just wants the money"

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Do you blame other fundraiser organizations for trying to convince you to "do your part"? Maybe you do, maybe you don't, but either way someone has to do that work. Funds do not raise themselves. If they hired Ray Allen to post a video saying the same exact things that Jared Thomas has said and you never even learned who Jared Thomas was, would you be as opposed to contributing?

I assume the site is not profitable yet, but sitting back and waiting for other people to make it profitable is also not helping the situation. If you can afford $100 a year and want to help NIL, subscribing to Storrs Central seems to be a good start. If you can afford more than that and want to help NIL, donating to Bleeding Blue for Good also seems to be a good way to help in a tax deductible way.

If anyone can't or doesn't want to spend the $100, no one is going to blame them for continuing to spend their time on the Boneyard and getting their information that way when it inevitably leaks out.
Their goal is 5000 subscribers, I can't speak to exactly why that is their goal and if it has anything to do with a profitability bench mark, they are a long way off. Like by 4300 people.

Here is the way it is. Everyone who can. should donate to NIL. You can do it to Storrs Central and get something in return if that is your wish. Or you can do it to Bleeding Blue for Good directly. It doesn't matter. It just matters that it gets done.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

My point is that the majority of people subscribing are just footing the opex bill.

It's almost as if some people are more effective at this than others when it comes to soliciting donations.

Reaction Score
Its just nice supporting our NIL.

The “insider info” is basically nothing. The staff says he “drops hints” but everything you see there is stuff you’ll see here or on Twitter. No insider information.

Reaction Score
Its just nice supporting our NIL.

The “insider info” is basically nothing. The staff says he “drops hints” but everything you see there is stuff you’ll see here or on Twitter. No insider information.
I'm not sure that's true. The Brea information has been more detailed, and they don't have a policy that precludes discussion about the unintended consequences of portal additions. But, yeah, overall it's best thought of as a $100 contribution with any extra contextual information just a little bonus.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

Jared did a podcast that explains the money behind it.

The way I understand it is that eventually all of the operating costs will be offset by advertising space they sell on the site (i.e. An interview with Tom Moore presented by Dunkin Donuts). But in order to sell ads, they need subscribers and people reading their content.

The goal for Storrs Central is to give as much money back to the athletes as they can, and given that the coaching staff sees them as a valuable partner to their roster building efforts, should speak volumes.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that's true. The Brea information has been more detailed, and they don't have a policy that precludes discussion about the unintended consequences of portal additions. But, yeah, overall it's best thought of as a $100 contribution with any extra contextual information just a little bonus.
I really have not found it that detailed. They don’t drop news early at all. It’s just small tidbits. Like they’ll say good news is coming maybe 10 minutes before it’s seen on Twitter or say a visit went very well. It’s okay, I understand they can’t reveal stuff because it might effect recruitment.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Jared did a podcast that explains the money behind it.

The way I understand it is that eventually all of the operating costs will be offset by advertising space they sell on the site (i.e. An interview with Tom Moore presented by Dunkin Donuts). But in order to sell ads, they need subscribers and people reading their content.

The goal for Storrs Central is to give as much money back to the athletes as they can, and given that the coaching staff sees them as a valuable partner to their roster building efforts, should speak volumes.

How much do you think that's realistically worth to an advertiser - to sponsor content on a site with 700 subscribers?

To me, the school really should have organized all efforts under one banner, as opposed to Storrs Central, D'Amelio's group, and Bleeding Blue for Good. Cut down on a lot of admin costs and actually get the most money towards the NIL for the athletes.

Reaction Score
I just pulled the trigger. UConn hoops has given me so much enjoyment. It's the least I could do. Wish Bleeding Blue for Good did another team signed ball or jersey this year.
This is how I see it. I honestly forget the site exists until I see something on here referencing it, but this team has given me so much enjoyment that paying $100/year is worth it for me to "give back" a little.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
How much do you think that's realistically worth to an advertiser - to sponsor content on a site with 700 subscribers?

To me, the school really should have organized all efforts under one banner, as opposed to Storrs Central, D'Amelio's group, and Bleeding Blue for Good. Cut down on a lot of admin costs and actually get the most money towards the NIL for the athletes.
That’s why they have a goal to get to 5,000+ subscribers.

But as someone with a content marketing background, a specific super niche targeted audience like a sport team news site can command a premium from an advertising standpoint to the right partners.

As for organizing NIL, the schools have to be somewhat fire-walled from the collectives due to NCAA rules.

But Storrs Central is the “for profit” vehicle of the Bleeding Blue For Good entity. So the guy who runs BBFG also runs Storrs Central. (From what I understand about the D’Amelio collective 100% of his collective admin costs are paid for by him - he tweeted something to that effect recently).

I’m not an accountant or lawyer but from what I understand, having a for-profit entity, as opposed to purely the non-profit entity, which BBFG started as, gives them a lot more flexibility in how they can pay athletes for their NIL.

The podcast Jared did on the CT Scoreboard Pod goes into that in detail.

He is on here from time-to-time too, so he may be able to provide more detail if he sees this.

But at the end of the day, I know some of the Storrs Central people personally and can 100% say they are doing everything they can to ensure every dollar that can possibly make it to the athletes, does.

Reaction Score
I just pulled the trigger. UConn hoops has given me so much enjoyment. It's the least I could do. Wish Bleeding Blue for Good did another team signed ball or jersey this year.
FYI Jared from Storrs Central/BBfG tweeted on April 11th that they will start to take orders for 2024 autograph balls with the Back-2-Back logos on May 5th. There will be 300 available. Haven't seen anything else posted about it since, but I kept the screenshot in my phone as a reminder since I also want one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom