How to start fixing the portal with one simple rule. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How to start fixing the portal with one simple rule.

Reaction Score
The BiG and SEC are going to address this issue and restructure the portal and NIL within a legal framework that works best for them. I don't think there is really anything the NCAA can do to stop that. This is professional pay to play. The BiG and SEC are way out ahead of the pack and the last thing they will do is relinquish any benefit to the systems that benefit them. The NCAA is not toothless, but it's pretty close to that.
I doubt that you will ever see any regulation passed by the NCAA that wouldn't work to the advantage of the power programs. That's a tail that wags the dog.

Reaction Score
I think everyone is just waiting for nil to implode. Nil was never intended to be what came out. The original cases involved guys wanting to get paid for using their names in video games or getting paid for non-sports activities. I remember one guy who wrote music and the NCAA ruled he couldn’t sell his cds because he played football for example. Typical dumb NCAA over reach stuff. My hunch is we will have a big gambling scandal. Or a drug dealer paying players. But maybe one of those Utah guys drives his shiny new truck into the chemistry department or something.

The portal is a different situation. I think once a season starts, if you play it counts as your season for transfer purposes. I’d also give guys 1 free transfer but after that, you lose a year. Or at least sit.

Reaction Score
It would appear that conferences could cancel schollies..four year scholarships are not an NCAA requirement.

The NCAA has allowed colleges to provide multiyear scholarships since 2012. Additionally, in 2015, NCAA D1 colleges from the Power Five conferences (colleges in the Football Bowl Subdivision, plus Notre Dame) agreed to implement a rule that prevented multi-year D1 scholarships from being canceled or not renewed for any athletic reason.

So, yes, there are athletic scholarships that are guaranteed for four years, but they are not the norm outside of powerhouse football programs. While the practice of extending multi-year, athletic scholarships has been growing, it is largely dependent on whether specific programs and coaches are open to offering them.

Reaction Score
Both NIL and the portal are experiments. The NCAA is changing portal rules as we speak because it is out of control. Even coaches who benefit from it are complaining.

Same with NIL. Here's a quote from an SEC (which benefits greatly) talking about NIL. "There's kind of your state of union on the situation of what all coaches are dealing with around the country -- really, a poor system that isn't getting better and now is going to get worse. Because again, now we just look at recruiting rankings and you're going to see that they're usually going to follow this donor base and what schools are going to decide to give the most money to the players. So it is what it is. We'll deal with it like we do with everything else, but somehow it's got to get fixed because there's no system around it."

The idea that the portal or NIL are just fine isn't supported by very few in the college sports. That's why I believe tweaking the reshirt rles would help greatly.
Makes sense

Reaction Score
If your coach can leave, YOU should be able to leave.

Point

Blank

PERIOD.
Yes, but that is not the discussion.

Let's look at the ramifications of my fix to the portal. A freshman commits to School A. He redshirts. He plays his second year. If he decides to enter the portal. He loses that redshirt season.

That means he can either play three more years at School A or two more years at School B. That would slow down movement into portal. The student-athlete can move anywhere, any time, even follow a coach, if he wishes. But there are consequences to breaking his commitment to the School A.

Simple, fair, and designed to improve competitive balance in college football.

Reaction Score
I'm a cynic on the portal but there are plenty of examples you can cite where kids will be used and abused in any system where there are large amounts of money involved.

The portal makes it easier for the P5 to poach players they didn't recruit but have been developed by the great unwashed. That's it's purpose and helping the players to be rewarded for their time and efforts is a myth the P5 created to make it seem like a benefit to the players.

Only a small percentage of players will make it to the NFL so the players need to think about their chances to get there versus the ability to play the game they love at a school that cares about them and that will provide the support and tools for them to succeed academically and maybe get a degree in something worthwhile.......not General Studies or the like.

But when we're young, most of us think we're invincible, so there will be many who get drawn into situations where they'll be used and the portal may end up being a cruel joke on those who jump around chasing an unrealistic dream.

Reaction Score
I opened this thread with low expectations but this idea is somehow so much worse than I expected

Reaction Score
The portal isn't the problem. Yes it's hurt UConn the last few years, but do you blame the kids? They want to go play for a team that wins and get a better shot at the NFL.

The problem is NIL money. Schools like Texas, Alabama, Houston, Michigan, OSU and USC have pretty much unlimited NIL money because they have donors willing to just though 10's of millions of dollars at the program in order to win and do it through the guise of NIL money to try to buy up the best players. Now I don't blame the kids for this because we all would take the money over a program we would want to play at 9 times out of 10. So I think the only solution is to cap the amount of money a student can make in NIL money per year. That will at least level the playing fields a bit financially. Obviously the big name schools still have name and prestige to recruit with, but smaller schools say like UConn, Cincinnati, UCF, Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt and so on would at least have a fighting chance in recruiting top talent. Do I think this is the best solution? Absolutely not, but I do think it would a good comprise for the greater good of college football.
How about the entire team, 85 scholarship players, must be paid at the level of whatever the highest rate is. Wanna pay an incoming QB 2 million dollars? That put's your school's payroll at $170 million.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you really want to "fix the portal in one rule change", then that rule would be that NIL payments are not allowed between players and boosters of the same institution.

Shout out to @HuskyHawk who came up with this rule change regarding NIL, but to me NIL and the unlimited transfer rules are typically only problematic when they are combined.

Reaction Score
Brilliant contribution as usual.
An idea this absurd isn't worth even arguing against. The idea of losing a redshirt year for transferring is insane and never going to happen. It would be even worse than the system before one free transfer was allowed

Reaction Score
Have we identified what the problem is with the portal? What is the problem we're trying to fix?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why are we fixing something that they already fixed. You get one free transfer now. One. Then you sit as you did before. NCAA made clear they are going to reject the requests for waivers as they did in the past. Oh but my coach changed? Too bad. Don't go blowing your one free transfer then. Grad students with eligibility can get a 2nd I believe, as before.

Let's not act like the crazy Covid year portal scenario of multiple transfers is now the rule. It's not. Let's see how this works. It seems fair to me.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
How about this- If a player's NIL income exceeds their scholarship value by 50% they give it back to the school, so at least the school can give it to another player who may benefit from the scholly.

Reaction Score
You get one free transfer now. One. Then you sit as you did before.
There are still a few exceptions that allow immediate eligibility on the second Portal transfer.

Transfer waiver guidelines​

New guidelines (2023-2024) are in place for undergraduate student-athletes who are transferring for a second time.

Each waiver request will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, but moving forward, student-athletes must meet one of the following criteria to be granted a waiver to compete immediately:

• A demonstrated physical injury or illness or mental health condition that necessitated the student's transfer (requires consideration of supporting documentation, care plans and proximity of the student's support system)
  • Exigent circumstances that clearly necessitate a student-athlete's immediate departure from the previous school (such as physical assault or abuse, sexual assault) unrelated to the student-athlete's athletics participation.
Athletics reasons (lack of playing time, position presence) and academic preferences will not warrant waiver relief.

Special limited transfer exceptions:
--Discontinued sport, or non-scholarship exception. Student-athletes can enter the Transfer Portal at any time instead of requiring them to use their respective sport's transfer window.
--The departure of a coach will allow thirty days for a player to transfer.
--A student that has graduated can transfer if they have remaining eligibility.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There are still a few exceptions that allow immediate eligibility on the second Portal transfer.

Transfer waiver guidelines​

New guidelines (2023-2024) are in place for undergraduate student-athletes who are transferring for a second time.

Each waiver request will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, but moving forward, student-athletes must meet one of the following criteria to be granted a waiver to compete immediately:

• A demonstrated physical injury or illness or mental health condition that necessitated the student's transfer (requires consideration of supporting documentation, care plans and proximity of the student's support system)
  • Exigent circumstances that clearly necessitate a student-athlete's immediate departure from the previous school (such as physical assault or abuse, sexual assault) unrelated to the student-athlete's athletics participation.
Athletics reasons (lack of playing time, position presence) and academic preferences will not warrant waiver relief.

Special limited transfer exceptions:
--Discontinued sport, or non-scholarship exception. Student-athletes can enter the Transfer Portal at any time instead of requiring them to use their respective sport's transfer window.
--The departure of a coach will allow thirty days for a player to transfer.
--A student that has graduated can transfer if they have remaining eligibility.
This is similar to how it used to be. Utterly fair.

Reaction Score
An idea this absurd isn't worth even arguing against. The idea of losing a redshirt year for transferring is insane and never going to happen. It would be even worse than the system before one free transfer was allowed
No information at all in this post. Just name calling and rhetoric.

The idea of losing the redshirt is a novel idea outside of the conventional wisdom. That doesn't make it insane. It makes it original and unusual. While I agree the NCAA is not known for original thinking, the current situation is not tenable.

The conferences are already discussing way to reform the current chaos. There will be changes. I believe changes that slow the flood of players moving into the portal will produce a more desirable outcome. What I am proposing should accomplish that end. I look forward to your reply on the merits.

Reaction Score
No information at all in this post. Just name calling and rhetoric.

The idea of losing the redshirt is a novel idea outside of the conventional wisdom. That doesn't make it insane. It makes it original and unusual. While I agree the NCAA is not known for original thinking, the current situation is not tenable.

The conferences are already discussing way to reform the current chaos. There will be changes. I believe changes that slow the flood of players moving into the portal will produce a more desirable outcome. What I am proposing should accomplish that end. I look forward to your reply on the merits.
You're suggesting punishing kids for transferring by losing their ability to redshirt. That is a non-starter for me. The current system is perfectly fine and working exactly as intended.

Want to limit second time transfers and the waiver approvals I'm all ears. But punishing first time transfers is absurd and I will not entertain the idea

Reaction Score
If your coach can leave, YOU should be able to leave.

Point

Blank

PERIOD.
It’s always been you can transfer if your coach leaves as far as I know. If kids actually came to college to learn, the scholarships that other kids pay $100,000 - $250,000 for would be valued. Instead, it’s treated as a country club membership. You want to fix things then you limit practice hours to 2 hours a day, away travel to 2 days in a week, no spring practices.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom