How to start fixing the portal with one simple rule. | The Boneyard

How to start fixing the portal with one simple rule.

Reaction Score
This won't solve all the problems but it will slow down the avalanche of players entering the portal. New Rule; When a player enters the transfer portal, he loses his redshirt year. Not just the ability to redshirt in the future but also retroactively.

The current redshirt rule and the graduate transfer rule would stay in place. This would only affect underclassmen. As I said, this would not solve all then transfers portal problems. The effect of this rule is to make student/athletes consider the potential consequences of the portal more seriously. It makes remaining with your commitment school more valuable as your developmental time can be extended.

It would still allow athletes to play immediately after leaving a school. But it would make both the student athlete and the coach they are moving to join examine the situation with greater scrutiny.

Reaction Score
How about building programs that don't depend on having their players indentured ?

Georgia has had 14 kids enter the portal in 2023...not hurting Georgia and the kids may have a chance to start elsewhere. FSU had 11 enter in 2022 and 13 in 2023....

If it is your Ox that gets gored you squeal...

Some kids mature once out of high school...a hardly recruited guy like Jared Verse at Albany, as an example, becomes a force with maturity and transfers to P5 program..and will be drafted next draft. Why indenture this type of athlete to the offers he received as a 17-18 year old ?

Reaction Score
How about building programs that don't depend on having their players indentured ?

Georgia has had 14 kids enter the portal in 2023...not hurting Georgia and the kids may have a chance to start elsewhere. FSU had 11 enter in 2022 and 13 in 2023....

If it is your Ox that gets gored you squeal...

Some kids mature once out of high school...a hardly recruited guy like Jared Verse at Albany, as an example, becomes a force with maturity and transfers to P5 program..and will be drafted next draft. Why indenture this type of athlete to the offers he received as a 17-18 year old ?
Google "portal is out of control." It finds "About 1,730,000,000 results (0.36 seconds)."

Pretending there is not a problem is an unsupportable assertion.

Reaction Score
UConn portalled in Tristan Newton as a senior PG in 2022...from ECU.

He was a 247 "no star" out of high school and was ranked a 247 four star transfer...He appeared in all 39 games and averaged 10.1 points and led the team in assists.

It was good for him and good for UConn...and bad for ECU.

Reaction Score
Google "portal is out of control." It finds "About 1,730,000,000 results (0.36 seconds)."

Pretending there is not a problem is an unsupportable assertion.

I can google Aliens Among US and come up with 52,900,000 results in .59 seconds...

The portal is more of a problem for schools that are less attractive and have athletes who think that they can play at a more attractive program.

It can be a problem or it can be something that works for you...Both LSU and FSU used the portal to build a team after a losing season...Michigan has three starters on their O line picked up preseason...a graduate and two seniors...a mature O line.

Reaction Score
Bees will want to go where they think the honey is...plant a flower garden.

Ultimately, the bees will discover it.

In the south, we have an old expression..."He thinks he's sweet, but the bees don't know it". The athletes are a good barometer of sweetness.

Building an attractive flower garden is not done in a year...

The portal is like conferences have been....programs always looking to move up in the conference hierarchy...step from CUSA to AAC to Big 12...

Hey...they instituted GOR;s to prevent teams from moving...so why not shackle athletes as well ?

Reaction Score

He was a 247 "no star" out of high school and was ranked a 247 four star transfer...He appeared in all 39 games and averaged 10.1 points and led the team in assists.

So, that means there is NOT a problem with the portal. It's specious at best.

Reaction Score

Honestly I hate the portal. I never bought the argument that other students can transfer at will. Other students are paying thousands of dollars and don’t get anywhere near the other benefits. Heck I was an athlete in a non-revenue sport before it was big business and even I got breaks regular students didn’t. Mostly minor stuff (priority on rooms, first choice on classes, meals, stuff like that) Now it isn’t even comparable.

But it’s here so we need to make it work somehow. I like pal’s idea. I actually liked the old sit out a year. I’d give guys 1 change then impose a cost. Either pal’s or sit a year.

Right now we’ve got the traveling Willburys with some of these guys. The guy now at Pitt has been at ND, BC now Pitt. Wasn’t that good at any of them but he keeps moving around. He is finally out of eligibility I think, but if not he’ll be at UMass or somewhere else next year.

Reaction Score
The portal isn't the problem. Yes it's hurt UConn the last few years, but do you blame the kids? They want to go play for a team that wins and get a better shot at the NFL.

The problem is NIL money. Schools like Texas, Alabama, Houston, Michigan, OSU and USC have pretty much unlimited NIL money because they have donors willing to just though 10's of millions of dollars at the program in order to win and do it through the guise of NIL money to try to buy up the best players. Now I don't blame the kids for this because we all would take the money over a program we would want to play at 9 times out of 10. So I think the only solution is to cap the amount of money a student can make in NIL money per year. That will at least level the playing fields a bit financially. Obviously the big name schools still have name and prestige to recruit with, but smaller schools say like UConn, Cincinnati, UCF, Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt and so on would at least have a fighting chance in recruiting top talent. Do I think this is the best solution? Absolutely not, but I do think it would a good comprise for the greater good of college football.

Reaction Score
The portal isn't the problem. Yes it's hurt UConn the last few years, but do you blame the kids? They want to go play for a team that wins and get a better shot at the NFL.

The problem is NIL money. Schools like Texas, Alabama, Houston, Michigan, OSU and USC have pretty much unlimited NIL money because they have donors willing to just though 10's of millions of dollars at the program in order to win and do it through the guise of NIL money to try to buy up the best players. Now I don't blame the kids for this because we all would take the money over a program we would want to play at 9 times out of 10. So I think the only solution is to cap the amount of money a student can make in NIL money per year. That will at least level the playing fields a bit financially. Obviously the big name schools still have name and prestige to recruit with, but smaller schools say like UConn, Cincinnati, UCF, Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt and so on would at least have a fighting chance in recruiting top talent. Do I think this is the best solution? Absolutely not, but I do think it would a good comprise for the greater good of college football.
Both NIL and the portal are experiments. The NCAA is changing portal rules as we speak because it is out of control. Even coaches who benefit from it are complaining.

Same with NIL. Here's a quote from an SEC (which benefits greatly) talking about NIL. "There's kind of your state of union on the situation of what all coaches are dealing with around the country -- really, a poor system that isn't getting better and now is going to get worse. Because again, now we just look at recruiting rankings and you're going to see that they're usually going to follow this donor base and what schools are going to decide to give the most money to the players. So it is what it is. We'll deal with it like we do with everything else, but somehow it's got to get fixed because there's no system around it."

The idea that the portal or NIL are just fine isn't supported by very few in the college sports. That's why I believe tweaking the reshirt rles would help greatly.

Reaction Score
So, that means there is NOT a problem with the portal. It's specious at best.

Not a problem for the better programs....just like poaching teams is not a problem for the Big Ten nor SEC.

Yes..some ox's are getting gored....

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The market will sort this out, though I think prohibiting mid season transfers that preserve eligibility is a good idea.

Playing 4 games then becoming a free agent with no cost isn't fair to the other players or the programs.

If you want a 4 game redshirt your next games should be with that program. That would preserve the intent of playing some without burning eligibility without it being abused by the portal.

Otherwise, anyone is free to leave their jobs at anytime. These kids are making enough money now that they don't need to be protected from bad decisions.

Reaction Score
Another thing that hurts college football...

A program develops talented assistant coaches and they can then leave to go to another program...usually for more money.

The B1G and the SEC can throw money at coaches...eventually talent gravitates to the money.

We need to find a way to hamper that movement as well as the athlete'smovements.

Procedural balls and chains can be developed...great minds came up with the GOR, prenuptial agreements, credit card limits, as well as unusable extended warranties...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Whether there’s a problem with the portal depends on your perspective. From a student-athlete point of view it’s mostly positive. From a fan’s perspective it’s mostly negative. For coaches and universities? A mixed bag. For the ideal of amateur sport? Probably bad but that’s not a real thing anyway.

But the important thing is the athlete isn’t it? Kids get lied to constantly by coaches during the recruiting process. Or they get recruited over as soon as a more talented athlete comes along. And they’re supposed to be happy they got a scholarship while that coach gets paid millions? And that coach can leave and coach elsewhere immediately if he wants.

Do we all wish sports were pure? Of course. Can they ever be when money’s involved? No. So why should the athlete carry the burden of keeping the sport pure?

Reaction Score
Athletes exercising their right to make informed decisions is only "out of control" if you think those rights should be restricted. They shouldn't and every athlete using the portal is an informed consumer.

BullDawg

UGA Alum, U of South Florida Professor Emeritus
Reaction Score
But, scholarships aren’t guaranteed to student athletes beyond the current year. So, if you want to restrict transfers, then coaches should have to fully commit to those whom they recruit, not chase them off.

Reaction Score
Bees will want to go where they think the honey is...plant a flower garden.

Ultimately, the bees will discover it.

In the south, we have an old expression..."He thinks he's sweet, but the bees don't know it". The athletes are a good barometer of sweetness.

Building an attractive flower garden is not done in a year...

The portal is like conferences have been....programs always looking to move up in the conference hierarchy...step from CUSA to AAC to Big 12...

Hey...they instituted GOR;s to prevent teams from moving...so why not shackle athletes as well ?
Schools signed up for those GORs when they thought it provided sweet honey. Stop making every thread about FSUs kevetching about their need to adhere to a GOR.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
They made illegally-paying players legal, and the results are about as bad as you’d expect. They took a shoddy system, and made it worse. The big fish are gonna devour all the little minnows and I don’t see how to get off that track.

Reaction Score
Schools signed up for those GORs when they thought it provided sweet honey. Stop making every thread about FSUs kevetching about their need to adhere to a GOR.

Don't let your hatred look past an analogy...

Athletes thought it was sweet honey to receive an offer and commit their career to a program...if it turns out to not be so sweet wanting an alternative is natural...a direct comparison.

Reaction Score
The BiG and SEC are going to address this issue and restructure the portal and NIL within a legal framework that works best for them. I don't think there is really anything the NCAA can do to stop that. This is professional pay to play. The BiG and SEC are way out ahead of the pack and the last thing they will do is relinquish any benefit to the systems that benefit them. The NCAA is not toothless, but it's pretty close to that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom