How to guard Jaedon leedee | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How to guard Jaedon leedee

Reaction Score
As long as Donovan stays straight up whenever he drives to the basket we’ll be fine.

Guys, nobody is getting to the rim against us with him. He’s the best defensive player in basketball.
This is huge though, coaches need to beat into Clingans head to defend them flat footed to avoid the fouls. Their bigs are 6’9” so he won’t have to jump to frustrate them unless it’s a midrange jumper, in which case jump away big fella

evmore

FRIENDOftheprogram
Reaction Score
i'm more concerned with our shooting.. Cam, Alex, and Tristen.. 2 of them have to be shooting well. Can't expect to beat every team shooting 2/20 (garbage time excluded).... Clingan WILL get in foul trouble in either this game or the next (law of averages) and we will need to be executing at a high level offensively when he has to sit. I love that our trend of slow starts is gone....We got this but we can't let them hang around.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This past game we had a guy that was supposed to be a problem, but at the end, both sides were saying "Boo Who?"

Reaction Score
I worry more about DC getting a little 'block happy'. He just needs to stay between Leedee and the rim and not put himself in foul trouble.

I think Castle could be a big mismatch for them. They play physical, but that's his game. They may be too undersized to stop him.

If UConn plays smart and the refs aren't a story, they should be fine.

Reaction Score
i'm more concerned with our shooting.. Cam, Alex, and Tristen.. 2 of them have to be shooting well. Can't expect to beat every team shooting 2/20 (garbage time excluded).... Clingan WILL get in foul trouble in either this game or the next (law of averages) and we will need to be executing at a high level offensively when he has to sit. I love that our trend of slow starts is gone....We got this but we can't let them hang around.
Doesn't the law of averages apply to the same shooters who are 30-40% from 3 shooting 9% on the night?

I love how these doomers are "well if Donovan gets fouls, and our 3 point shooting issues continue". That would be the death knell for ANY TEAM in the country. We have the right players, coach, and depth to avoid all things falling apart.

Reaction Score
LeDee will get his 24. No one else will score double figures.
Exactly. If our commitment to stopping LeDee doesn't create openings for the rest of the team (fouls, open 3s), then let him have 20, 30 points. It's the rest of the team you can shut down and you win.

Reaction Score
Clingan literally should never leave his feet against this guy. LeDee is 6'9" 240. Clingan has at least 5 inches in height and 30 pounds on this dude. Just stand straight up and make him shoot over you. And then dunk on him at the other end every time lol

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Stay out of foul trouble, deny him the entry and make him take tough shots.

The problem is without Clingan in the paint it opens up the perimeter guys to get easier looks.

They would still need a good/great shooting night and a poor shooting night from us.

It's still all about what UConn does or doesn't do more than whatever the opponent is doing. That will be true for at least 2 more games before the margin for error becomes notable.

Reaction Score
If their gameplan does turnout to be Ledee stretching the court, I'm sure Hurley will have Karaban play him man and have Clingan sit in drop coverage. We can't allow one guy to entirely dictate our defensive scheme.
Counterpoint: if their strategy to beat us is to have LeDee take 10 threes, let them do it. He tied his season high for threes last night by making 2. I’m more than okay letting him shoot semi-open threes all night if it means he’s not in the paint

Reaction Score
Counterpoint: if their strategy to beat us is to have LeDee take 10 threes, let them do it. He tied his season high for threes last night by making 2. I’m more than okay letting him shoot semi-open threes all night if it means he’s not in the paint
But that's not a counterpoint; you're saying half of what I said. Put Karaban in his face and let him think he's Rip Hamilton. Clingan will patrol the paint in the Drop and when Ledee drives past Karaban, Clingan will get his 5 blocked shots.

Reaction Score
If their gameplan does turnout to be Ledee stretching the court, I'm sure Hurley will have Karaban play him man and have Clingan sit in drop coverage. We can't allow one guy to entirely dictate our defensive scheme.

That's not really how defense works? If Clingan isn't guarding Ledee, who is he guarding? Their 6'6 PF? Why would be do that?

I'm not sure you understand what drop coverage is. It isn't a one man zone the whole possession... it's part of man defense. Drop coverage is a PnR coverage.

Reaction Score
I think the answer for Buie, defensively, was a lot more straightforward (put Castle or Diarra on him) than the answer for LeDee.
I disagree. Buie faced double and triple coverage at times. When Ledee finds out how hard it is to impact the game when the rhythm is baseline to baseline, San Diego st will start sitting him and running small.

Reaction Score
I think the answer for Buie, defensively, was a lot more straightforward (put Castle or Diarra on him) than the answer for LeDee.
I think the answer for Ledee is just as easy when Clingan is in the game. It’s more complicated when Samson is in for sure, but at the same time, they’re such a mediocre offensive team outside of Ledee (to put it nicely) that Hurley can afford to divert some extra attention.

Reaction Score
That's not really how defense works? If Clingan isn't guarding Ledee, who is he guarding?

Drop coverage is a PnR coverage. SDSU doesn't really even use that many PnRs IIRC.
You're getting hung up on all their guards. None of them shoot above 35% beyond the arch. Why can't they defend the Mover-Blocker action by Clingan sitting within the key and back peddle on the slashers? You can also switch assignments real time, which we do well.

Reaction Score
SDSU has to guard our motion offense and actions. Ledee needs to be on the floor for them (and out of foul trouble) to have any kind of chance to even hang with us. The change of pace styles of Donovan and Samson are going to put a lot of pressure on him on the defensive side of the ball. When we're running actions through them at the top of the key- Good luck defending the rim with our cutters/shot-makers.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure you understand what drop coverage is. It isn't a one man zone the whole possession... it's part of man defense. Drop coverage is a PnR coverage.
SDST runs a Mover-Blocker motion offense where their blocker sets the screen. Doesn't have to be a PnR.

Reaction Score
Ledee draws more fouls than anyone other than Edey and Clingan foul trouble is our only weakness, but i'm not worried about playing elite defensive teams that struggle to score.

SDSU will be a good warmup for ISU (hopefully)

Kenpom Adjusted D:
1- ISU
9- SDSU

Kenpom Adjusted O:
49- ISU
53- SDSU

Reaction Score
Ledee and 3 point shooting is the least of UConn's concerns. He is in his 5th year of college hoops and didn't make his 1st 3 pointer until this year. He has made a total of 19 in his college career.

This game comes down to the glass half empty/half full view. Do we worry more about how UConn matches up with a small SD St. lineup, or do we get excited about how SD St will have difficulty matching up with Clingan, Karaban, and taller guards. I believe that the key is Newton, Castle, Spencer and Diarra disrupting the guards from SD St. and not letting them get into their offense. Of course, keeping Clingan out of foul trouble is probably the biggest factor.

Trammell and Butler at 5'10 and 6'2 will be on Newton & Spencer. Waters and Parrish are both 6'6 and will have Castle and Karaban duties. Ledee at a generous 6'9 will be on 7'2 Clingan. Pick your poison here for the focus of the offense. UConn can go with whatever is working/whoever is hot.

Reaction Score
I live in San Diego and have watched pretty much every SDSU game all year. Ledee is a beast. Strong and athletic. He can hit the mid range jumper, too. The rest of the team is athletic, but their shooting usually leaves much to be desired. Like any team, they can get hot, like they did against Yale, but I don't see them doing it two games in a row. Their defense is sticky, but we are bigger and better at pretty much every position. Upsets can happen, of course (see SDSU vs #1 seed Alabama last year), but if we played them 10x and play to our capabilities, we would win at least 9 of them. Just hoping Thursday game isn't the 1x for them! :)

Reaction Score
The idea of a quick double against Ledee in certain situations (like when Samson is in) is not the piece of this that some of us found to be a wild take. It was the statement that we have no one that can match up physically with him 1-on-1.
Bigger than Karaban, quicker than clingan. So again, what’s wrong with asking the question

He ain’t great, but what is completely absurd is the ridiculous overreaction guffawing to a simple question

Simple answer

They handed Eric dixon just fine

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom