How good is Louisville this year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How good is Louisville this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Let me ask you guys something.

What if Baylor would've won the game against Louisville last year. I think they were looking ahead too far and underestimated Louisville.

Baylor was expected to take it all.

Would they have?

No, not as UCONN was playing at that point in the season.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Easy enough to dismiss teams -- 'cause ain't no one UConn -- so here's a challenge: what teams DO you all like/are impressed by?

PSU in the 2nd half of our game :)

Lucas can go off at any time and Agee was playing big inside. I will be interested to see how they do going fwd....

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Ok, then what happened on Feb. 18 2013?

On 13 February, Stewart was in her oft-discussed mid-season funk, and played only 7 minutes, scoring zero points.

The light went on shortly thereafter, and Stewart was a different player.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ok, then what happened on Feb. 18 2013?
That was before the team came to understand the sacrifices each one needed to make for all to succeed. It was well publicized. That occurred in a team meeting following the 3rd loss to ND. It changed everything for them the evidence was seen in the dominance during the NCAAs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
On 13 February, Stewart was in her oft-discussed mid-season funk, and played only 7 minutes, scoring zero points.

The light went on shortly thereafter, and Stewart was a different player.

Maybe, maybe not. Noone could go inside with Griner playing last year.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Maybe, maybe not. Noone could go inside with Griner playing last year.
It wasn't necessary to go inside against Griner. I believe Geno's intentions in developing Stef's outside threat was to draw Griner away from the basket and back screen her off the boards attacking the baseline from the wings. If Griner did not follow her and or Stewie out Baylor would have suffered the same fate they did against L'ville only more so.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think Muffett herself is a superior recruiter. On her own her two biggest recruiting triumphs were a South Bend native and an Irish-American girl. Not exactly pushing the boundaries of Notre Dame sports. She wasn't able to roll an NC over into higher caliber recruits. Now since the addition of Niele Ivey as a ND assistant coach, there's been a major upturn in the quality of ND recruiting. I suggest there's no coincidence there. What Muffett does bring are major strengths in strategic team development, game planning and in-game coaching. In the last, she's Geno's equal, probably the only one in all of WCBB.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
As for L'ville, every other top team has looked human for an entire half, or had some closer than expected games. .

Hey, even we were losing to the Bonnies until we staged that rally!

Reaction Score
It wasn't necessary to go inside against Griner. I believe Geno's intentions in developing Stef's outside threat was to draw Griner away from the basket and back screen her off the boards attacking the baseline from the wings. If Griner did not follow her and or Stewie out Baylor would have suffered the same fate they did against L'ville only more so.
But you can't really say that because Baylor did win the only time they played.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What I can say is we beat by 35 the team that just beat Baylor the previous week and that we had vastly more offensive and defensive options than that team.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
What I can say is we beat by 35 the team that just beat Baylor the previous week and that we had vastly more offensive and defensive options than that team.

And it was 33 because we let up at the end. Transitivity doesn't always work, and doesn't "prove" we were more than 33 points better than Baylor, but it is a pretty good indication of how one should bet on the game.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Louisville plays Kentucky on Sunday.... most likely it will be a ugly game to watch..... not sure if it will be on TV anywhere.

Game is on TV. I saw it in my search on DirecTV, but haven't gotten up to programming. Maybe Sun or SportsSouth?

Reaction Score

Notre Dame beat us three times last season. According to your reasoning, we couldn't say that
we would beat Notre Dame in the National Semifinals.

But of course we did beat them - and by 18 points.

As has been explained by other posters, UConn was a much improved team in the tournament.
A game against Baylor would have been very competitive, but I believe UConn would have
won. (and I can say that).

Last edited:

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Notre Dame beat us three times last season. According to your reasoning, we couldn't say that

As has been explained by other posters, UConn was a much improved team in the tournament.
A game against Baylor would have been very competitive, but I believe UConn would have

That's actually a very good way to show the impact of the team meeting and how much better they became after that meeting. Which also shows how much of the game is mental, because I doubt they improved that much physically over a couple weeks.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And it was 33 because we let up at the end. Transitivity doesn't always work, and doesn't "prove" we were more than 33 points better than Baylor, but it is a pretty good indication of how one should bet on the game.
Absolutely true that one can't calculate spreads that way but margins of that level are indeed pretty good indicators of which side of a straight up bet you want to be on.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
UKIMG/FSN
Sports South and FS New Orleans are carrying it, but FSNO is not Hi-Def, Sports South (channel 649) is.

Also available is Creighton at Oklahoma, on FS2.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Well, Louisville just got the better of might Western Kentucky 74-61. A win is a win, I suppose, but this does not inspire fear.

Reaction Score
Well, Louisville just got the better of might Western Kentucky 74-61. A win is a win, I suppose, but this does not inspire fear.
It's hard to say how Louisville will do against UCONN based on this game. Louisville was playing a road game. The Schimmel girls seemed to be off their offensive game. Western Kentucky would do better than the other teams UCONN played other than Stanford and Maryland (maybe they would do better than them). They were a scrappy team for one half and came back to make it close at the half.

Reaction Score

And I can say that Baylor won the only time they played each other last year.

Reaction Score
I don't think Muffett herself is a superior recruiter. On her own her two biggest recruiting triumphs were a South Bend native and an Irish-American girl. Not exactly pushing the boundaries of Notre Dame sports. She wasn't able to roll an NC over into higher caliber recruits. Now since the addition of Niele Ivey as a ND assistant coach, there's been a major upturn in the quality of ND recruiting. I suggest there's no coincidence there. What Muffett does bring are major strengths in strategic team development, game planning and in-game coaching. In the last, she's Geno's equal, probably the only one in all of WCBB.

We've never seen Geno recruit without CD though either. I have no doubt that Geno is a more impressive sales closer than Muffet, but Geno has certainly benefited from having CD coordinating recruiting all these years. The year after the national championship Muffet lost Kevin McGuff as he took the Xavier head coaching job. Someone who for the most part recruited his way all the way into the Ohio State job. So yeah recruiting picked up through Ivey convincing Diggins to stay home and Notre Dame winning, I don't think it is just that Ivey is a super recruiter. And McGraw got Carol Owens back a couple of years ago who was another former assistant on the national. championship team that had taken a head coaching job.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It's hard to say how Louisville will do against UCONN based on this game. Louisville was playing a road game. The Schimmel girls seemed to be off their offensive game. Western Kentucky would do better than the other teams UCONN played other than Stanford and Maryland (maybe they would do better than them). They were a scrappy team for one half and came back to make it close at the half.
Your approach of isolating games is meaningless. Louisville was crushed by UCONN in the NC game. More important than the score is they were completely overwhelmed. They realized that in the first half when we saw Jude Schimmel in panic on the bench realizing they could do nothing they had done against Baylor, Cal or anyone else. The games so far this season haven't demonstrated any change to the positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom