How good is Louisville this year? | The Boneyard

How good is Louisville this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hard to tell. They're supposedly somewhere in the Top 5, but had trouble putting away unranked Florida State, who took the Cardinals to overtime with just 7 players suited up for the game.

Underwhelming.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Wonk - agree - two OT wins - FSU and Oklahoma who are not all that good. They have been running up some impressive scores against cannon fodder, but have struggled against moderate competition - same old same old?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Wonk - agree - two OT wins - FSU and Oklahoma who are not all that good. They have been running up some impressive scores against cannon fodder, but have struggled against moderate competition - same old same old?

"Same old, same old" has gotten them to two championship games in the past several years..something which very few programs can claim. Frankly, unless you're UConn, any program in the country would be pleased with "same old, same old". In a perverse way, this is what the Husky program's success has given to its' fan base.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
"Same old, same old" has gotten them to two championship games in the past several years..something which very few programs can claim. Frankly, unless you're UConn, any program in the country would be pleased with "same old, same old". In a perverse way, this is what the Husky program's success has given to its' fan base.
Don't get me wrong - I think they had a fantastic run last year and the previous time, and I think Jeff is a very good coach, but they seem to have lots of highs and lows during the season - they can look fabulous when their shots are falling and Shoni is on, and then they can really struggle against teams they should beat. Given their ranking and their skill, I don't think they should have gone to overtime against FSU (or Oklahoma which just lost to UCLA.)
They are one team that really lives the 'two season' life - inconsistent during the year, but Jeff seems to get them refocused for the NCAAs better than most coaches.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Easy enough to dismiss teams -- 'cause ain't no one UConn -- so here's a challenge: what teams DO you all like/are impressed by?

Reaction Score
Louisville rises and falls with Shoni, and the reality is she's very streaky. When she's on, Louisville can be very good, ask Baylor about that. But I suspect she's a player that will always be inconsistent, and has weaknesses that Geno understands how to expose.

Reaction Score
Louisville rises and falls with Shoni, and the reality is she's very streaky. When she's on, Louisville can be very good, ask Baylor about that. But I suspect she's a player that will always be inconsistent, and has weaknesses that Geno understands how to expose.
Agree. And those top teams that can contain her defensively and sometimes frustrate her have a very good chance of beating Louisville.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
ND ... And yes Duke.
I agree. I mentioned in another thread that ND is the only top team to have not struggled against unranked teams this season. Their closest victory was over #19 MSU, and they are doing this without Natalie Achonwa, who I think is one of the top 5 or 10 centers in the country. Duke "only" beat Cal by 9, and Vandy and Marquette by 19 and 17. They have been solid as well.

As for L'ville, every other top team has looked human for an entire half, or had some closer than expected games. So I still think L'ville is solid - we are just used to seeing UCONN destroy everyone, and it gives an idea of just how good UCONN is after seeing them stomp 3 highly ranked teams without KML or Morgan.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Louisville seems to be playing like it did early in the season last year. Too many turnovers, porous defense and Shoni playing inconsistently as she works her way back in shape during the season. I think they miss Veal defensively in the lane. Still, I fully expect Walz will get things sorted out and they'll be playing well come tournament time.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Duke "only" beat Cal by 9, and Vandy and Marquette by 19 and 17. They have been solid as well. .

I believe it was 12 over Cal, which just makes your point stronger.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I want to see South Carolina play. Staley's team is now 7-0, including a 20-pt win over the other USC last night in Los Angeles. While So Carolina will play a challenging conference schedule in the SEC, its OOC schedule includes only 1 ranked team (UNC on Dec 18). Dawn has played ranked OOC teams in the past but not this year.

Reaction Score
Easy enough to dismiss teams -- 'cause ain't no one UConn -- so here's a challenge: what teams DO you all like/are impressed by?

I pay some attention to Louisville since, after all, they're still in our conference this last season of 2013-2014. Which brings up the question: will we see them again? NCAA matches are an iffy thing, and if Jeff wonders whether Geno ever gets tired of winning, does he get tired of losing?

Reaction Score
I agree. I mentioned in another thread that ND is the only top team to have not struggled against unranked teams this season. Their closest victory was over #19 MSU, and they are doing this without Natalie Achonwa, who I think is one of the top 5 or 10 centers in the country. Duke "only" beat Cal by 9, and Vandy and Marquette by 19 and 17. They have been solid as well.

As for L'ville, every other top team has looked human for an entire half, or had some closer than expected games. So I still think L'ville is solid - we are just used to seeing UCONN destroy everyone, and it gives an idea of just how good UCONN is after seeing them stomp 3 highly ranked teams without KML or Morgan.
I need to watch the UCONN-Maryland game again. Maryland stayed with them until after the half but noone helped Thomas score and the game got away from them.

I think Louisville might give UCONN a good game. I think I'll take the game off of PPV this week to watch them. I have a ticket to the Louisville-Rutgers game in January (courtside). Anyone got a spare ticket to the UCONN-Louisville game?

Reaction Score
Notre Dame, still without Ochonwa and Duke, although they got off to a slow start against Marquette. Tennessee has a lot of talent as does Kentucky, but neither has gotten near the championship game of late. What's great about basketball is there's a tournament that decides it all. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
I need to watch the UCONN-Maryland game again. Maryland stayed with them until after the half but noone helped Thomas score and the game got away from them.

I think Louisville might give UCONN a good game. I think I'll take the game off of PPV this week to watch them. I have a ticket to the Louisville-Rutgers game in January (courtside). Anyone got a spare ticket to the UCONN-Louisville game?

Remember, this was at Maryland before 15,000 fans cheering on the home team. Early in the season everyone is finding their way, including Connecticut. Briana Banks is looking like her old self, Saniya Chong is fitting right in and more, and if Kiah Stokes can produce the way she has been producing all year long, there will be nobody who will beat us for the championship.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Hey... it was a 12 pts victory over Cal... ;)

Penn State is highly ranked.... but Im not sold on how good they really are.

I think Louisville deserves its top 5 ranking... they have beaten more good teams so far than anyone outside of Conn. Oklahoma is a top 3 team in the Big 12... LSU is a upper tier SEC squad.. and I think FSU might be the 5th best team in the ACC. Louisville plays Kentucky on Sunday.... most likely it will be a ugly game to watch..... not sure if it will be on TV anywhere.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Well since part of the reason for the ultra tight officiating approach stems from Louisville's physical play against Baylor last year, we'll see how they do against the really good teams without the bump and push methods.

Reaction Score
Exactly! Shoni was on during her freshman season in the NCAA's and they also advance farther than was expected. It is as you say that Shoni is very streaky. Cal could have beaten them in the Semi's if they would have focused on defending Slaughter instead of her. Shoni had already cooled off, so they should have just let her shoot her team out of contention.

Reaction Score
Well since part of the reason for the ultra tight officiating approach stems from Louisville's physical play against Baylor last year, we'll see how they do against the really good teams without the bump and push methods.

The first couple of games the refs seemed to be focusing on calling the hand-checking fouls. It seems to me that they have backed off that quite a bit and are letting them play a little more physical.

Reaction Score
True, but Jude was the reason for them getting into overtime in both games. IMO, I think she's a smarter and steadier player than her sister. She reminds me of Kelly in a lot of ways.

Reaction Score
Louisville has the major ingredient for being a top team on a regular basis. One of the best coaches in WCBB is Jeff Waltz. They have to improve their recruiting to be at the top in the future. Sonni Schimmel is their best player but she would be on the bench at UConn.

I look for Louisville (Waltz) and ND (McGraw) to be our top competition in the future. Duke recruits at the highest level but Coach P is a step below Waltz, who is a half step behind McGraw, who is also an excellent recruiter.

Reaction Score
Let me ask you guys something.

What if Baylor would've won the game against Louisville last year. I think they were looking ahead too far and underestimated Louisville.

Baylor was expected to take it all.

Would they have?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Jeff is still learning how to attain and install all the aspects of gathering and being a great team. There are so many moving parts in the task it is almost unimaginable. Support staff including trainers, conditioning coaches, related medical staff. Recruiting and management of recruits during the process. Balance, skill and compatibility among staff. Dietary goals for athletes and nutritionists. Specific development plans for each member of the team AND staff. Creating a well rounded program that supports athletes off the court and furthers their emotional and psychological development as young adults. Understanding systems management and family systems dynamics. And the list goes on and if you don't think that is all important and part of the deal watch or rewatch the All Access Connecticut Huskies program on SNY and consider just what is involved in what you are seeing on the surface there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom