Houston New Football Stadium | The Boneyard

Houston New Football Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I guess Tulane isn't the only conference member building a new on campus stadium for next year. Here is Houston's, which is bigger than Tulane's. I really like the stadium design of this one especially the outside. http://houstonfootballstadium.com/home/

Edit: Also interesting to note that beer will be sold in this stadium as well. That's two on campus facilities (Tulane, UH) and one off campus facility (UConn) that I know of so far in our conference that are selling beer during games.

Reaction Score
Yeah it should be a nice stadium and they have sold beer for quite some time now. I saw a few games at their old stadium the year before and they have a pretty good turnout and cool fans. Also in the upper decks you have a great view of the Houston skyline since downtown is so close. Can't wait until Uconn plays down here so I can tailgate and talk some noise.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Only 40,000 seats? I expected more in Texas.

Reaction Score
When they played years ago in the old Astrodome, seating was only @ 46k if I remember correctly

Reaction Score
If they need a larger venue because of the opponent, they'll play in Reliant (now NRG) Stadium which is like 5 miles from campus.

Reaction Score
Have you considered Pac 10 Stanford downsized from 85K to 55K seats? Do you know how many seats Big XII member Baylor's brand new stadium will actually seat? Perhaps, there may be broader considerations contributing to decisions on new stadium designs, seating capacity, etc. Have a look at this interesting Baylor stadium website ...

Last edited:

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Edit: Also interesting to note that beer will be sold in this stadium as well. That's two on campus facilities (Tulane, UH) and one off campus facility (UConn) that I know of so far in our conference that are selling beer during games.
Of the top of my head, USF and Temple play off campus and both sell beer.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Have you considered Pac 10 Stanford downsized from 85K to 55K seats? Do you know how many seats Big XII member Baylor's brand new stadium will actually seat? Perhaps, there may be broader considerations contributing to decisions on new stadium designs, seating capacity, etc. Has a look at this interesting Baylor stadium website ...
I looked at the Baylor site. I'm not sure what you are alluding to.

Reaction Score
Have you considered Pac 10 Stanford downsized from 85K to 55K seats? Do you know how many seats Big XII member Baylor's brand new stadium will actually seat? Perhaps, there may be broader considerations contributing to decisions on new stadium designs, seating capacity, etc. Have a look at this interesting Baylor stadium website ...
I believe it's espn's long term plan to have all stadiums in the 5k-10k range and have virtually everyone watch on tv. Ultimate goal is all games will be played in an undisclosed, no seat location to maximize tv revenue.

Reaction Score
I looked at the Baylor site. I'm not sure what you are alluding to.
Actually, the post did not allude to anything beyond fairly clear factual information. Run of the mill analysis may be required of basic math, relative amenities, regular seat versus club/box seating revenues, a comparison of a so-called Power 5 conference team with an AAC program both located in Texas, declining attendance at many schools, etc., but no allusions are required.

To help clarify the factual considerations, this related article may make the point easier to appreciate. Times, technology, and economics have changed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I guess Tulane isn't the only conference member building a new on campus stadium for next year. Here is Houston's, which is bigger than Tulane's. I really like the stadium design of this one especially the outside. http://houstonfootballstadium.com/home/

Thanks. Our design is vaguely similar to Rentschler. We dug down and poured a lower bowl of concrete on grade. Our main concourse is open to the field.

Differences include:

1. We used a bunch of structural steel to support concrete risers in the upper deck. UConn's stadium used concrete to support concrete.

2. Our club, suite and press box level is located in the middle of the home side. UConn built theirs at the top of the home side.

Reaction Score
Of the top of my head, USF and Temple play off campus and both sell beer.

The old Vet used to have its own magistrate's office to handle drunk and insubordinate fans before hauling them off to jail. Does that still exist Lincoln Financial Field? Always very impressed with a stadium that can manage their own criminals :)

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Thanks. Our design is vaguely similar to Rentschler. We dug down and poured a lower bowl of concrete on grade. Our main concourse is open to the field.

Differences include:

1. We used a bunch of structural steel to support concrete risers in the upper deck. UConn's stadium used concrete to support concrete.

2. Our club, suite and press box level is located in the middle of the home side. UConn built theirs at the top of the home side.
I like the use of concrete which at least gives the appearance of permanency. I'm waiting for UCF's tin can construction to collapse during a game.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The outside of the stadium kind of reminds me of the new Giant stadium. Pretty nice venue.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Differences include:

The suites and press box is on the visitor's side at Rentscher.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You'd have to be fairly insane to build a giant stadium at this point. The students aren't going to games at most places anymore. If they won't go as students how would anyone think they will go as alumni?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You'd have to be fairly insane to build a giant stadium at this point. The students aren't going to games at most places anymore. If they won't go as students how would anyone think they will go as alumni?

I was in Memorial Stadium once when I attended UConn, and I have season tickets now.

That said, I agree that overall, attendance is trending one direction as the fanbase gets older and the traditional sports like basketball and football are not as popular as they used to be.

Drew

Reaction Score
I was in Memorial Stadium once when I attended UConn, and I have season tickets now.

That said, I agree that overall, attendance is trending one direction as the fanbase gets older and the traditional sports like basketball and football are not as popular as they used to be.

Have to agree with Nelson here (can't believe I'm typing this). Just because you aren't a die hard when you're in school doesn't mean you won't support the team later. When people graduate they are able to use the sporting events as a way to stay connected with their friends from school/the university overall. Whereas when students are in school, they have a million different ways to be a part of the university. Once we start winning again the students will show up, people love our Huskies but people love a winner more.

Reaction Score
It seems lots of people stop going to games and other leisurely pursuits because their kids have all kinds of sporting or other events themselves every saturday, sunday and holiday. To the point it's getting out of hand. Am I right?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Have to agree with Nelson here (can't believe I'm typing this). Just because you aren't a die hard when you're in school doesn't mean you won't support the team later. When people graduate they are able to use the sporting events as a way to stay connected with their friends from school/the university overall. Whereas when students are in school, they have a million different ways to be a part of the university. Once we start winning again the students will show up, people love our Huskies but people love a winner more.

I was talking broadly across the country. Student attendance is dropping like a rock.

But you think kids who won't take discounted tickets and get to a stadium on their campus are going to fill stadiums when they are alumni? No offense but that seems like crazy talk.

Do people really go to Rentschler to stay connected to the University? Seems to me they go to tailgate and watch a football game.

You aren't really agreeing with Nelson because his example is stupid - UConn upgrading to FBS is very different than what is going on most places.

Drew

Reaction Score
I was talking broadly across the country. Student attendance is dropping like a rock.

But you think kids who won't take discounted tickets and get to a stadium on their campus are going to fill stadiums when they are alumni? No offense but that seems like crazy talk.

Do people really go to Rentschler to stay connected to the University? Seems to me they go to tailgate and watch a football game.

You aren't really agreeing with Nelson because his example is stupid - UConn upgrading to FBS is very different than what is going on most places.

Believe me I know student attendance is dropping. I'm a student, I love the team, and I went to 4 games last year, and one was because my parents flew up from NC (to watch us beat Rutgers!!)

I think the season ticket totals will hold steady between 20-25k for UConn for the next 10/15 years. People do make an event out of it once they graduate, and when its no longer acceptable to do certain college related activities anymore. People graduate and go with their wives, friends from school, kids, etc.

I also agree that any stadium currently being built that is over 45/50k is just plain ludacris. For one the smaller stadiums are more compact and louder but the most important reason is that unless theres a huge team coming to town, most stadiums are at least a quarter or half empty.

Even the most loyal fans have issues with this. Look up Bill Callahans last season at Nebraska and what those fans did. They showed up for the beginning of the game to keep their sellout streak alive and half the stadium left at halftime. Attendance mostly boils down to winning. Doesn't really matter to me if I have top speed wifi from the student section if Towson manhandles our linemen.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If people make an event of it after graduating why has attendance dropped after 10 years of classes post-upgrade?

It it boils down to winning then it has nothing to do with staying connected to the University.

Drew

Reaction Score
If people make an event of it after graduating why had attendance dropped after 10 years of classes post-upgrade?

Don't tell me the win loss record either as season tickets sold dropped coming off the Fiesta Bowl trip.

it is possible that there is more than one factor at play here when talking about reasoning for certain things. I would attribute the drop in season ticket sales to a more than disappointing coaching hire and a failure of a marketing department (which really has been a disaster until this year).

And it is an event. People do make an event out of a college football saturday, it happens all over the country. People show up early (and most leave early) but they spend ~6 or 7 hours at the rent on a Saturday with their friends and families.

Again I agred with you about your point of stadium sizes. I think Michigan is in real trouble with the behemoth of a stadium. People are just more selective of which games they go to. Michigan/Ohio State sells out. Michigan/Eastern Michigan? Not so much.

That is also one of the reasons I think Saban might be onto something when he says the major conference schools should play only major conference schools. There's about 30 programs realistically throughout the country that guarantee a sellout and another 40 that will give you a good sized crowd. The problem is when people play 4 terrible OOC games and 3 marginal home games and then they get charged an astronomical amount for season tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom