HOF tournament thoughts | Page 6 | The Boneyard

HOF tournament thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It has been said, repeatedly, that UConn did not choose the other teams in this round-robin event. I have no reason to doubt that - in fact, given that these teams are an anomaly to the usual OOC schedule, I tend to believe it.

Now, saying that "Auriemma and the UConn AD have nothing to say abut what teams they play OOC?" is a strawman argument, because it sets up a false absolute, using the word "nothing". Of course they have "something" to say, but "something" is just that - it is not everything. As has been said - repeatedly - other teams have agendas, preferences and conflicts, too. Just 'cause we're interested doesn't mean they are. And, even if they are, they've got their own issues and obligations to work around.

It's amazing how simple folks think somebody else's job is...
Some posters are just silly. UCONN will be playing OSU on Sunday. OSU has losses to Bowling Green and Georgia, and they squeaked by Marist. It will be another blowout.

In spite of the fact that St Bonneventure and BU are both solid teams historically (SBU was in the sweet 16 just in 2012 and BU has made the NIT 3 out of the last 5 years), people will still whine and complain about something if that's their nature. It isn't enough that UCONN scheduled 5 of the preseason top 10 teams this season, not including OSU, who traditionally has always been the best team in their league.

Of the 13 OOC games I counted, 6 are in the top 25, 2 or 3 are usually at or near the top of their respective conferences (Hart, BU, SBU), and the remaining 4 are what they are. UCONN always tries to play the best they can play. They have no control over who is in their league now. They played a ton of ranked teams already this year. Couldn't be happier with the OOC schedule that they have this season. Stanford, Baylor, Duke, Cal, PSU, OSU, Maryland (and L'ville twice), are all very interesting games.

Basketball is a spectator sport. People don't have to watch it if they don't want to. But continual complaining about it on the BY won't solve anything. Just vote with your remote...

And people that think the teams who lose get nothing out of the game vs. UCONN are flat out wrong, as we've seen from opposing coaches and players over and over.

Last edited:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Hey, I've got an idea; how about if those of us who like watching the Huskies, blowout or no, watch ALL the games, and those who like watching only those games against "top echelon" opponents watch only those six or eight on the regular season schedule, plus the final four.. Then everybody can be happy and relaxed.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Never underestimate the negativity, doom, and gloom of some BoneYard posters...imagine what will ensue if a loss occurs.

Reaction Score
Much longer than I thought.

Just was reacting to your emphatic statement that it isn't what I prefer that matters when it comes to, well, what I prefer. Seemed rather odd to be told I can't have a preference.

Okay – we are on same page I think. I was replying to your totality from your 1st post to your last as to how you look at things vs how I look at things. At the time I was just too lazy to cut and paste so I replied to one of your latest posts instead.

I do agree that a stretch of games like these can boost the confidence of someone like Kia who has struggled to find consistency. The true significance will come when she is challenged.

Yes. I agree. That was what I was saying. I guess you believe it is “marginal?” If that is the case, I don’t. Thus I believe these blowout games are of higher value. I guess that is our difference. Not only do I believe Stokes has benefitted, but so has Banks and others.

As far as spectator sports go, they charge a fee to watch, it qualifies as a spectator sport. Don't take this the wrong way, but I think it should be understood that watching a team like UConn dismantle a team like St. Bonaventure is not necessarily a thing of beauty,

I agree. But H/S games also charge a fee. I believe there are differences between pro and h/s thus I don’t categorize all in the same light. And I agree soem blowout games are not necessarily a thing of beauty. But other times they are. As a spectator you also have the option to boo if you want. But I can disagree with your booing as well.

I get the feeling that a lot of UConn's women's fans are not big fans of the men's team or at least the men's game in general. There is scarcely a game the men play that the margin of victory can be predicted in advance. I think a lot of people would have heart failure watching them play. Can it be aggravating to the fan, yes. But it sure makes every shot important, every turn over big, every foul shot possibly the difference.

Count me in some manner as this- though 20 years ago I would never have believe I’d say it. I’m fine with close games but close games mean nothing to me if they aren’t of quality. IMO the quality of the men’s game has deteriorated big time. It has to do with men’s game kids leaving so early – but they have the right to do so. But I’m a fan of excellence and dynasties. So when we pick apart a team and play with excellence, I find that much more fun than watching an ugly game. For example, I have no interest in ever watching the finals of UCONN vs Stanford a few years ago, nor on the men’s side UCONN vs Butler. I would watch on women’s side the2 UCONN vs Louisvile finals and on the men’s side UCONN vs Ga Tech. Of course the UCONN vs Duke finals was far superior to these others.

But just a little part of me suspects that kids on a St. Bonaventure who have lost only one game, have some hope of acquitting themselves better than they did even if they had no expectation of winning.

I agree. But that goes with every loss. With nearly every loss not all the players would feel they played well enough.

I understand that the coach can say "see what it takes to play winning basketball". Or maybe it's the coach that has the learning experience.

As well as maybe some of the players say the same thing and also have the learning experience.

Reaction Score
Some posters are just silly. UCONN will be playing OSU on Sunday. OSU has losses to Bowling Green and Georgia, and they squeaked by Marist. It will be another blowout.

In spite of the fact that St Bonneventure and BU are both solid teams historically (SBU was in the sweet 16 just in 2012 and BU has made the NIT 3 out of the last 5 years), people will still whine and complain about something if that's their nature. It isn't enough that UCONN scheduled 5 of the preseason top 10 teams this season, not including OSU, who traditionally has always been the best team in their league.

Of the 13 OOC games I counted, 6 are in the top 25, 2 or 3 are usually at or near the top of their respective conferences (Hart, BU, SBU), and the remaining 4 are what they are. UCONN always tries to play the best they can play. They have no control over who is in their league now. They played a ton of ranked teams already this year. Couldn't be happier with the OOC schedule that they have this season. Stanford, Baylor, Duke, Cal, PSU, OSU, Maryland (and L'ville twice), are all very interesting games.

Basketball is a spectator sport. People don't have to watch it if they don't want to. But continual complaining about it on the BY won't solve anything. Just vote with your remote...

And people that think the teams who lose get nothing out of the game vs. UCONN are flat out wrong, as we've seen from opposing coaches and players over and over.

you've got that right; some posters here are just silly.

Reaction Score
Never called you a loser,

You may not think you didn’t but you did. A lot of us compete in life from our jobs to many other things outside. Not only do I compete in some manner in my job but outside of it I am competing on other levels. You think nothing of my competitive nature because I still beam about getting annihilated by a former NBA player. To me, you may disagree, but you are calling me a loser.

Your TCU example again is not apples to apples: (1) it is a men's example, we all know the potential for upsets in the men's game, rare in the women's games. (2) it is a game that TCU had to play, conference game. (3) we are talking UConn here, almost im possible that they lose a OCC game to an unranked foe.

Three other points:
1—You know I’m a guy. You know I correlated my playing experience to women’s playing experience. You seemed to have “accepted” my experience by then sending me your comments of knocking my competitive nature. If we can both speak of my competitive nature and compare it to women player’s as well, then I see no reason why we can’t tie in wcbb to mcbb in terms of competitive nature of the teams and players. You don’t want to seem to accept my point on TCU vs Kansas and comparing it to the women’s game but have no problem comparing my competitive nature as a guy to the women’s compettive nature. You know I was tying them together. Therefore, I disagree with your belief that Kansas TCS does not apply.

2—Which leads to why can’t I use Kansas vs TCU on the men’s side? The TCU men learned from blowouts, so why can’t the women? I hope to God you aren’t saying women are inferior to men because they can’t learn like men, are you? If you aren’t saying that, then why can’t I say just as we’ve seen on the men’s side that they can learn, then so can the women? Am I to believe that you never believed a woman could dunk a ball unless you actually saw it?

3— Your bringing up only UCONN is bizarre. Why are you only comparing this to UCONN? Are you trying to say everybody else that is not a good team can learn from a far superior team unless it is UCONN? What is your quantified value of if a bad team can learn from a good team?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
you've got that right; some posters here are just silly.
Thank you for making my point! I guess the mirror reflected for ya, eh? I certainly didn't mention anyone by name.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
you didn't answer my question. where did you read that some here think that it's easy to schedule top 25 teams? and who said anything about there being a bunch of teams that have asked to play uconn. where do you come up with these ideas? personally, i'd be delighted if uconn played a couple more top 25 teams, say up to 8 like tennessee does this year.
And you might try doing some research. Tennessee scheduled exactly 3 OOC games for top 25 teams (UNC, Stanford and ND). The rest of their "top 25" schedule is made up of teams from the SEC. UCONN scheduled 6 OOC. But hey, some posters don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Never underestimate the negativity, doom, and gloom of some BoneYard posters...imagine what will ensue if a loss occurs.

I can only speak for myself but if the team plays to their ability and loses to a team that was just better on that day I find it no big deal. Except of course during the NCAA tournament. :( I remember thinking that one of the ND losses last season was one of the better games they played and one of the best games I watched last year . . . and no it wasn't the OT debacle.

Reaction Score
Thank you for making my point! I guess the mirror reflected for ya, eh? I certainly didn't mention anyone by name.

apparently the point i was trying to make with that comment went right over your head.

Last edited:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
It has been said, repeatedly, that UConn did not choose the other teams in this round-robin event. I have no reason to doubt that - in fact, given that these teams are an anomaly to the usual OOC schedule, I tend to believe it.

Now, saying that "Auriemma and the UConn AD have nothing to say abut what teams they play OOC?" is a strawman argument, because it sets up a false absolute, using the word "nothing". Of course they have "something" to say, but "something" is just that - it is not everything. As has been said - repeatedly - other teams have agendas, preferences and conflicts, too. Just 'cause we're interested doesn't mean they are. And, even if they are, they've got their own issues and obligations to work around.

It's amazing how simple folks think somebody else's job is...

I will admit ignorance on how these things come about. If UConn didn't choose the teams - who did? Another question - who came up with the Hall Of Fame tournament name?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I will admit ignorance on how these things come about. If UConn didn't choose the teams - who did? Another question - who came up with the Hall Of Fame tournament name?
Here's a little background on the Tournament for you. Sunday's Game is actually part of the event.

And this perspective from UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
hoophuskee
To me, you may disagree, but you are calling me a loser.

You are right, you are a loser and you are to be ignored!

Reaction Score
hoophuskee
To me, you may disagree, but you are calling me a loser.

You are right, you are a loser and you are to be ignored!

Great. I think you visted this board just so you can be different and complain. You say - "you are the victim of a beatdown then you receive little to no benefit from it."

Then I find out later it's not what you really meant. It was "UCONN" that you can't benefit from. That's right you didn't "say" it, but reply to me you meant UCONN but you really didn't "say it," right?. You're all over the map my friend just to prove to yourself that you can be different. I'm a loser. I'm not a loser. I'm a loser. Okay. What will it be tomorrow?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Here's a little background on the Tournament for you. Sunday's Game is actually part of the event.

And this perspective from UConn.

Thank you for that. While it doesn't change my opinion about the games played last weekend, it shifts the onus to the HOF. I think it would be great to get an early season tournament competition in the area and I can see why UConn would agree to participate but the HOF has to do a better job with who they schedule. Other wise it will become known as the Hall of Shame tournament.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Thank you for that. While it doesn't change my opinion about the games played last weekend, it shifts the onus to the HOF. I think it would be great to get an early season tournament competition in the area and I can see why UConn would agree to participate but the HOF has to do a better job with who they schedule. Other wise it will become known as the Hall of Shame tournament.
It will? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle