HOF tournament thoughts | The Boneyard

HOF tournament thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I know people complain about the non-competitive nature of these games, and Geno was a little lukewarm on it yesterday, but ... I think it has been good for Uconn in developing better offensive chemistry and giving a lot of players some added confidence.
For the opponents -
I loved Meghan pointing out during yesterdays broadcast that the BU player who had been 0-12 coming into the Uconn game hit a three for her first basket of the year and then went out the next day and put up 15.
And in yesterday's second half when the team on the bench got so pumped with their mini-run and the excitement of all the players at I think the 4 minute TV timeout. It was obviously a lost cause in terms of winning, but they truly celebrated the smaller victories and some pretty nice offense being run at the end of the game.
Both teams so far have shown spirit and continued to work on there system for the full 40 minutes - they never stood a chance of winning, but they also never quit. Credit to the coaches and the players.
And like when Vermont came to visit a few years back - the thrill of being on the court against Uconn is clear. We get caught up in the big picture pursuit of championships which is a luxury that Uconn affords us, but it is nice also to recognize the underlying joy of competition and collegiate athletics in a simpler form.

Reaction Score
For the opponents -
I loved Meghan pointing out during yesterdays broadcast that the BU player who had been 0-12 coming into the Uconn game hit a three for her first basket of the year and then went out the next day and put up 15.
And in yesterday's second half when the team on the bench got so pumped with their mini-run and the excitement of all the players at I think the 4 minute TV timeout. It was obviously a lost cause in terms of winning, but they truly celebrated the smaller victories and some pretty nice offense being run at the end of the game.
Both teams so far have shown spirit and continued to work on there system for the full 40 minutes - they never stood a chance of winning, but they also never quit. Credit to the coaches and the players.

Both of those teams are well coached. They never stopped hustling. I would have liked to be able to see Boston U. vs. Monmouth today. Should be a pretty good game.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"I think it has been good for Uconn in developing better offensive chemistry . . ."

I think practice is more important for developing offense than anything that can be learned from a hapless opponent. Offensive plays that click against a hugely overmatched team may well clunk against a team with some ability to defend.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
"I think it has been good for Uconn in developing better offensive chemistry . . ."

I think practice is more important for developing offense than anything that can be learned from a hapless opponent. Offensive plays that click against a hugely overmatched team may well clunk against a team with some ability to defend.
But practice doesn't count and however intense practice is doing it in real time with no 'do-overs' has value, and while the competition may be better in a Uconn practice it is also familiar and doesn't really change so what works against the practice defense may not in a game against lesser competition. And in practice there is also a 'holding back' - someone driving to the basket is not going to be challenged with the same intensity because none of the practice players want to cause an unintentional injury. When Kiah gets an offensive rebound in practice she doesn't likely get whacked on the put-back, so she doesn't get the practice making the shot while being fouled for the three point play.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score

I agree 100% vtc! These three games were an embarrasement. I didn't even bother to go to todays 'contest'. These teams were so overmatched its pathetic. Our seats are right behind the visitors' bench. Yesterday I asked the woman in front of us if she had a daughter on the team. The mother's reply, "Yes and I have no idea why we are here". That was before the game.

I have seen UConn's practices before - these games don't hold a candle to them in any fashion. An argument could be made that these games are counterproductive to the growth of the team.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
But practice doesn't count and however intense practice is doing it in real time with no 'do-overs' has value, and while the competition may be better in a Uconn practice it is also familiar and doesn't really change so what works against the practice defense may not in a game against lesser competition. And in practice there is also a 'holding back' - someone driving to the basket is not going to be challenged with the same intensity because none of the practice players want to cause an unintentional injury. When Kiah gets an offensive rebound in practice she doesn't likely get whacked on the put-back, so she doesn't get the practice making the shot while being fouled for the three point play.
You got it 100% right. In practice, they are either going at each other, or the male practice players. Geno, or other coaches, are the "refs". There aren't media time outs or foul shots to disrupt the flow of the game. There are no fans in the seats. The atmosphere is totally different. I loved all 3 games and totally enjoyed watching UCONN run efficient and aesthetic offense.

It's impossible for UCONN to schedule every single top 25 team in the nation every year. But year in, year out, UCONN has one of the toughest schedules in the country, often in the top 2-3. UCONN is just so good that they make decent teams look really really bad, and even really good teams look average.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Stef gave it away the other day in an interview. She was asked about the 3 games in 3 days. She said the team was fine with it and that practice was really hard so they may get a little tired but it's okay! We have heard this time and time again from players. The games are easy after a UConn practice. As noted by UcM and Eric, this has been a very beneficial series for several players. Now they all get a breather.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I saw real progress during these games. The first half against Monmouth was electric. If UConn is capable of that, we're in GREAT shape, even if we're more reserved against ranked opponents.

Meanwhile, there are some things you could say about individual players that would be very encouraging. For instance, MoJeff is actually starting to hit three-pointers. That could make a huge difference at some point. On top of that, Kiah seemed unleashed as a legitimate force in the post tonight. That is immeasurably heartening if that's reflective of what Kiah is really capable of.

Reactions: HGN

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
It would be nice to see competition at a somewhat higher level throughout the season. This weekend's three opponents were pretty sad.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Stef gave it away the other day in an interview. She was asked about the 3 games in 3 days. She said the team was fine with it and that practice was really hard so they may get a little tired but it's okay! We have heard this time and time again from players. The games are easy after a UConn practice. As noted by UcM and Eric, this has been a very beneficial series for several players. Now they all get a breather.
But they say the same thing about playing a game against ND - no game requires them to go for 40 minutes straight - at most a player playing all twenty minutes in a half has 4 media time-outs plus probably on average another 3 coaches time outs, plus maybe 10 different foul trips to the line, and then they get a ten minute break, and go another 20 minutes with 17 stoppages. And then they shower and head home. A few hours before the game they had a walk through for 45 minutes and maybe ten minutes of warm ups.
Of course a Uconn practice is going to be harder - it lasts three hours and maybe they get a few water breaks if the coaches are happy with their effort.
And most games, even against the top competition, players average less than 30 minutes of playing time with stretches sitting on the bench for the other ten minutes.
Maybe if they played a ten overtime game it would begin to match the mental and physical stress of a Uconn practice.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
But they say the same thing about playing a game against ND - no game requires them to go for 40 minutes straight - at most a player playing all twenty minutes in a half has 4 media time-outs plus probably on average another 3 coaches time outs, plus maybe 10 different foul trips to the line, and then they get a ten minute break, and go another 20 minutes with 17 stoppages. And then they shower and head home. A few hours before the game they had a walk through for 45 minutes and maybe ten minutes of warm ups.
Of course a Uconn practice is going to be harder - it lasts three hours and maybe they get a few water breaks if the coaches are happy with their effort.
And most games even against the top competition player average less than 30 minutes of playing time with stretches sitting on the bench for the other ten minutes.
Maybe if they played a ten overtime game it would begin to match the mental and physical stress of a Uconn practice.

Duh...that was my point. Any game is easier than a UConn practice. And, bonus, Geno behaves himself. Like I said: we hear this from different players year after year. And that is a good thing.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Duh...that was my point. Any game is easier than a UConn practice. And, bonus, Geno behaves himself. Like I said: we hear this from different players year after year. And that is a good thing.
I thought you were comparing specifically a BU type game to practice to imply that the BU game was worthless as opposed to say an Stanford game which was equally as hard as a practice. (The 'Stef gave it away' lead in maybe set me up wrong.) Sorry.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I thought you were comparing specifically a BU type game to practice to imply that the BU game was worthless as opposed to say an Stanford game which was equally as hard as a practice. (The 'Stef gave it away' lead in maybe set me up wrong.) Sorry.

I can see now how you could get that from the Stef thing. No problem.

I gave up touchy and snarky a while back ('cept when Orange is involved).

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Hearing the sympathy cheers from UConn fans last night made me stop and think about how the grossly overmatched opponent must feel after the game? I hear all the blah blah about what a privilege it is to play the #1 team in the country, how great it is for them to be on TV or have the opportunity to play in front of a crowd. Coaches talk about how they want their team to see how the top dogs play etc. IMO it's all bull.

Somebody here responded to a post about why bottom feeders play UConn with nothing more than "$". That says it all. Apparently not a lot of concern about how the players might feel about it.

I have an entirely different take. If I played for one of the sacrificial lambs I would be embarrassed and more than a little pissed by being forced to take such a humiliating beating.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hearing the sympathy cheers from UConn fans last night made me stop and think about how the grossly overmatched opponent must feel after the game? I hear all the blah blah about what a privilege it is to play the #1 team in the country, how great it is for them to be on TV or have the opportunity to play in front of a crowd. Coaches talk about how they want their team to see how the top dogs play etc. IMO it's all bull.

Somebody here responded to a post about why bottom feeders play UConn with nothing more than "$". That says it all. Apparently not a lot of concern about how the players might feel about it.

I have an entirely different take. If I played for one of the sacrificial lambs I would be embarrassed and more than a little pissed by being forced to take such a humiliating beating.
I guess I have to believe my eyes and the quotes and smiles from a bunch of players after they got their 'humiliating' beat down. I would never stand a chance of hitting a big league fastball, but if you gave me the chance to face a red sox pitched in Fenway Park I would jump at it - and I think you would find a lot of people willing to pay a lot of money to do the same. Or to shoot hoops with Maya Moore, or play a round of golf with ____, or _____ with _____. Well in women's college basketball Uconn is the top of the heap and for a lot of girls who play basketball the next best thing to playing for Uconn is getting to take the court against them even if their team has no chance. If I played one on one with Maya she would whip me 21-0 all day long, but in one game somewhere along the line, I probably would get one shot to go in - and for the rest of my life I would be able to talk about the time I nailed a three against her (and quietly forget the 1000 points she scored over me.)
If you watch any of the weekend games again, focus on the players on the bench. They are into the action and cheering every good play a teammate makes. Or watch when we play some of the other games on our schedule that will also be blow-outs. When we play a Stanford or Maryland who came in expecting to win or at least really challenge down the stretch, you see disappointment and dejection on the bench during the closing minutes - if you watch when we play a BU or Monmouth you probably still see intensity and focus on the action because they are still working for the little victories and not the final score.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I would never stand a chance of hitting a big league fastball, but if you gave me the chance to face a red sox pitched in Fenway Park I would jump at it - and I think you would find a lot of people willing to pay a lot of money to do the same.

You can do it if you want (except maybe not at Fenway). When I worked for a consulting firm the boss retired, and as a retirement gift, we gave him a trip to a Red Sox fantasy camp. I think it was in Florida, maybe just before spring training. He got to play with some of the bigs and face a major league picture. Most are humbled, and a couple lucky ones foul one off, but they are all thrilled.

I watched the Bonnies bench when the made a mini-run and they were more than engaged, they were excited, jumping up and down and having the time of their life. I can image some don't like it, but I certainly can image some do, because I saw it.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score

Vtc... You may be right in general about practice and running offense. But there has to be some addl gains to be had about playing in real time, television and 5-9,000 fans in the stadium.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
only 2 were guaranteed... and that just show how good and steady ND was. now UConn doesn't play them at all and we're bored

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
only 2 were guaranteed... and that just show how good and steady ND was. now UConn doesn't play them at all and we're bored
Nah, three were pretty much guaranteed in recent years and the NCAA took care of making sure there was a 4th.

8 times in two years was boring. I don't find this year boring at all. I expect ND to be back on the schedule next year but the break was good and we can still play in the NCAAs.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I guess I have to believe my eyes and the quotes and smiles from a bunch of players after they got their 'humiliating' beat down. I would never stand a chance of hitting a big league fastball, but if you gave me the chance to face a red sox pitched in Fenway Park I would jump at it - and I think you would find a lot of people willing to pay a lot of money to do the same. Or to shoot hoops with Maya Moore, or play a round of golf with ____, or _____ with _____. Well in women's college basketball Uconn is the top of the heap and for a lot of girls who play basketball the next best thing to playing for Uconn is getting to take the court against them even if their team has no chance. If I played one on one with Maya she would whip me 21-0 all day long, but in one game somewhere along the line, I probably would get one shot to go in - and for the rest of my life I would be able to talk about the time I nailed a three against her (and quietly forget the 1000 points she scored over me.)
If you watch any of the weekend games again, focus on the players on the bench. They are into the action and cheering every good play a teammate makes. Or watch when we play some of the other games on our schedule that will also be blow-outs. When we play a Stanford or Maryland who came in expecting to win or at least really challenge down the stretch, you see disappointment and dejection on the bench during the closing minutes - if you watch when we play a BU or Monmouth you probably still see intensity and focus on the action because they are still working for the little victories and not the final score.
Ding motherfreaking, Ding. Read it an weep vtcw, read it and weep.

Well done Miami.
thumbs-and-ammo-5.jpg

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
as Dunn said... it was up to others to step up, only 2 were guaranteed

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yes, it's up to the others to step up, if they are seeking national status. Most of them have no pretense of that. I'm in the camp of thinking these totally lopsided games are of marginal value to UConn, and of questionable value to the losers and kind of a gyp to the ticket holders. Would you go to a plays where the ending ofen came before the first act was half over? Sadly. top echelon teams don't get a lot of good competition, so a bunch of games are not competitive.It does give UConn the chance to run stuff without a lot of resistance and to boost confidence. That's all for the good so long as it doesn't fall apart when a more capable opponent is in the house. History tells us, it rarely falls apart on Geno's watch.

For the victims, because that is more what they are in these mismatches, maybe it helps them when they play within their own leagues, but I wonder how much. No question playing league opponents will be worlds easier after UConn, but do they end up playing better because of the experience? Is the coaching any better? I thought the Bonnies game was pretty pointless, especially being the third in a 3 part bulldozing where the only doubt in any of the games was how early the walk ons would get in. Way too early as it turned out. A 20 point drubbing isn't that horrible. When it gets to be more than 40, and was likely predicable to be when the non-league game was scheduled, it's kind of a drag. Maybe some of the opposing players don't mind, but I'd bet most of them hate it once the beating is underway and they begin to wonder about their own ability. Geez, I hated it when my team was being crushed in a pick-up game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom